PDA

View Full Version : 4 Big East teams in NCAA

Nukem2
03-16-2014, 05:42 PM
Xavier needed that win over MU.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-16-2014, 05:50 PM
Now we need those 4 teams to pick up a few wins to get some NCAA credits rolling in...

mufan2003
03-16-2014, 05:54 PM
NC State (ACC) vs. Xavier (Big East) in Tuesday play-in game....interesting.

UNC (ACC) vs. Providence (Big East)

Possible Creighton vs. Wisconsin Sweet 16

mufan2003
03-16-2014, 06:25 PM
Providence and Creighton both headed to San Antonio. Despite playing in the Big East championship against each other, hopefully fans will support each other. Providence a tough first game against UNC.

TheSultan
03-16-2014, 06:26 PM
Wisconsin v. Creighton in the S16 should be interesting.

But Creighton is going to have to get by Baylor in San Antonio. That will not be easy.

pbiflyer
03-16-2014, 06:55 PM
Providence and Creighton both headed to San Antonio. Despite playing in the Big East championship against each other, hopefully fans will support each other. Providence a tough first game against UNC.

Will be there. Easy to cheer for Providence, but Creighton....not so much.

MU/Panther
03-16-2014, 07:11 PM
It's first round, not a play-in game.

MU_Iceman
03-16-2014, 07:23 PM

Stop it...with the political correctness. It's a play in game...period. Regardless of what the proper name is.

MU_Iceman
03-16-2014, 07:25 PM
As mentioned above...Xavier would NOT have been in without beating MU, and UW was the lowest #2 seed. Still can't believe they got such a cake draw. Would have loved to see them play #7 UCONN in the 2nd round instead of BYU/Oregon. Bazz would have scored 50 on UW.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24487953/official-ncaa-1-68-seeding-order[/URL]

MUMac
03-16-2014, 07:28 PM
Stop it...with the political correctness. It's a play in game...period. Regardless of what the proper name is.

Political correctness? No, that is actually what the NCAA calls it. The games in Milwaukee are rounds 2 & 3. You may not like it, but your beef is with the NCAA's terminology, not political correctness.

CaribouJim
03-16-2014, 07:32 PM
NC State (ACC) vs. Xavier (Big East) in Tuesday play-in game....interesting.

UNC (ACC) vs. Providence (Big East)

Possible Creighton vs. Wisconsin Sweet 16

I hope and pray that the BE at least splits these two games, but it is going to be tough. I'm admittedly hyper-sensitive to anything to do with the ACC these days and am not in the mood to hear any "I told you so" stuff.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-16-2014, 07:32 PM
I think UW will struggle with Oregon, sure Rd 1 will be a cake walk but as a 2 seed it should be...

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-17-2014, 09:47 AM
I hope and pray that the BE at least splits these two games, but it is going to be tough. I'm admittedly hyper-sensitive to anything to do with the ACC these days and am not in the mood to hear any "I told you so" stuff.

I actually like our chances of winning those. NC State is similar to BYU in that they really don't belong in the field. TJ Warren is a great player, but that's not a great team. Hopefully Stainbrook is 100%. And while I wouldn't pick Providence against UNC later on, I think it's a good first-day matchup. The Friars will be fresh, which should help a team that logs heavy, heavy minutes.

The first weekend matchup that worries me most is 'Nova/UConn. As much as I'm anti-ACC, I'm not exactly pro-AAC either, and I think the Huskies match up really well with Villanova. They defend better than Creighton by far and shoot the three really well. I don't know if 'Nova will be able to keep up.

Nukem2
03-17-2014, 10:06 AM
I actually like our chances of winning those. NC State is similar to BYU in that they really don't belong in the field. TJ Warren is a great player, but that's not a great team. Hopefully Stainbrook is 100%. And while I wouldn't pick Providence against UNC later on, I think it's a good first-day matchup. The Friars will be fresh, which should help a team that logs heavy, heavy minutes.

The first weekend matchup that worries me most is 'Nova/UConn. As much as I'm anti-ACC, I'm not exactly pro-AAC either, and I think the Huskies match up really well with Villanova. They defend better than Creighton by far and shoot the three really well. I don't know if 'Nova will be able to keep up.UNC is a very phlegmatic team. Providence could well give them a real battle. Desrosiers is really becoming a force down low on defense.

mufan2003
03-17-2014, 12:47 PM

UNC will be tough but I was impressed with Providence on Saturday night. They have improved and are playing real well together now. I don't think I have ever pulled for other Big East teams to win in the tourney as much as I will this year. Even Creighton, they may not have this type of success again for a while, so I would rather see them in the Elite 8 than Wisconsin.

mufan2003
03-17-2014, 12:52 PM

That is right. Always good to get it accurate. It is funny how 60 teams get a 1st round bye.

mufan2003
03-17-2014, 12:55 PM
I think UW will struggle with Oregon, sure Rd 1 will be a cake walk but as a 2 seed it should be...

Hopefully the Badgers will be haunted by all the MU banners at the BC and the ghost of All McGuire :)

unclejohn
03-17-2014, 04:43 PM
As I recall, it did not go well for them the last time they were there. Bo complained (what a surprise) that they were only seeded sixth. They won their first game, then played #3 Pitt in the second round. If anybody had a complaint, it was Pitt, who were playing a virtual road game, despite being a #3 seed. They killed UW. We'll see.

Despite their annoying fans, I have to think that UW should do pretty well. They earned the seed they got. While I have not watched them since our game against them, I came away from that one very impressed. This is the best UW team I have seen since Bo took over. For once, they are not five slow white guys passing the ball around in circles till the opponent drops dead of boredom. They can move. Of course, the season also proved that they can lose. We'll see.

As someone noted on the other board, their opponents in the first round are the Eagles of American. Eagles eat rodents for lunch. OTOH, that did not help us much.

Gato78
03-17-2014, 04:49 PM
This is Bo Ryan's worst team defensively. It became clear as the season went on that they were vulnerable if opponents attacked the rim.

IWB
03-17-2014, 04:56 PM
They earned the seed they got.

I disagree. I think they would be a 3/4, but not 2. I think the seeding committed puts way too much stock in the RPI. I know rankings don't mean much, but UW is ranked 15 and 12, and is a 2 seed? Louisville ranked 3 and 5, and is a 4 seed?

As pointed out earlier, there is no accounting for margin of victory or loss.

So, if you only scheduled 2 games.....

MU schedules #2 ranked Wichita State and #3 ranked Louisville.
Directional State schedules #1 ranked Florida and #3 ranked Louisville.

MU loses to both Wichita State and Louisville by 1, both games in 2OT.
Directional State loses to Duke by 30 pts and Louisville by 40.

Directional State has a better RPI. Does that seem fair?

MUfan12
03-17-2014, 04:58 PM
This is Bo Ryan's worst team defensively. It became clear as the season went on that they were vulnerable if opponents attacked the rim.

If Oregon can speed them up, they might be in trouble. UW doesn't handle a high-tempo game well, unless they're hitting a lot of outside shots.

MU/Panther
03-17-2014, 06:42 PM
That is right. Always good to get it accurate. It is funny how 60 teams get a 1st round bye.
They should call it what it was called, opening round.

MU/Panther
03-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Hopefully the Badgers will be haunted by all the MU banners at the BC and the ghost of All McGuire :)
I know they have taken down the Bucks and Admirals banners in the past, but I heared on the news MU's comes down as well.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-18-2014, 12:54 PM
Marquette's banners shouldn't come down as we are still the host. Who cares about the feelings of a bunch of whiny Vadger fans?

MU/Panther
03-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Marquette's banners shouldn't come down as we are still the host. Who cares about the feelings of a bunch of whiny Vadger fans?
That's what I thought. I see them still up on the news.