PDA

View Full Version : Committee Update

warriorfan4life
03-15-2014, 11:55 PM
We just wrapped up putting out our initial bracket. Here is the link to our selections and seeds:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Asjb5kvZz0PcdGJpZ2ZPVkhkcnZLUnlYZExRQXB1Z 0E&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Here are a few highlights:

We all think that Green Bay is getting based off of recent precedent. Their profile is actually pretty solid, and it just lacks another marquee win or two (though Tulsa winning C-USA tourney helps their profile a bit).

Providence was among the teams being debated for the final couple of spots, so they did themselves a solid by getting the automatic bid. We ended up seeding them on the 11 line, though I could see them getting a 9-10 seed.

Four Big East teams in the field, with Nova a 2 seed, Creighton a 4 seed, Providence an 11 seed as mentioned, and Xavier an 11 seed in the play-in games. Xavier, however, is solidly in ahead of the other three play-in games teams (Green Bay, Florida State, and BYU).

The final team getting in debate was Florida State and Tennessee, and that may be revisited again tomorrow. We seem to think that Tennessee is going to get into the actual tourney, but FSU has a respectable profile and a lot of committee members did not think much of Tennessee's profile.

SMU is in a much bigger spot of bother then all of the bracketogolists believe. They played an awful non-conference schedule, only beat 4 top 100 teams total, and have a middling road/neutral record. I personally think that they sneak in, but we had them out and recent precedent is not in their favor.

On a quick note, my personal bracket will have Tennessee in ahead of Florida State and likely SMU in ahead of BYU (but I am still waffling on that).

We have the top lines of seeds as follows:
1's: Florida, Arizona, Wichita State, Michigan
2's: Virginia, Villanova, Louisville, Wisconsin
3's: Kansas (due to Embiid injury), Duke, Iowa State, Michigan State
4's: Creighton, Syracuse, San Diego State, Cincinnati

Hamostradamus
03-16-2014, 12:24 AM
You guys are freaking awesome!

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-16-2014, 09:43 AM
Committee has said in the past that Sunday games don't matter. I can't see Michigan getting to the top line. Just too many losses. Maybe I'll end up wrong but I still think Nova is on the top line. Only 4 losses and only 1 to a team outside the top 15 RPI.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-16-2014, 10:41 AM
Had this discussion with a Michigan fan yesterday and it's a valid question: yes they don't have many bad losses but they really haven't beat anyone in top 25 have they? Iowa I guess...not sure that's enough for a 1 seed.

warriorfan4life
03-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Had this discussion with a Michigan fan yesterday and it's a valid question: yes they don't have many bad losses but they really haven't beat anyone in top 25 have they? Iowa I guess...not sure that's enough for a 1 seed.

Also Kansas. I personally figure that Michigan is slotted into an one and today's game will not matter.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-16-2014, 11:04 AM
Also Kansas. I personally figure that Michigan is slotted into an one and today's game will not matter.

I agree with you that mich is in regardless of today's result but obviously would love to see nova slip in for some big east love

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Also, love this stuff, wf4l, thanks for contributing :)

warriorfan4life
03-16-2014, 04:03 PM
We did swap in SMU for Florida State today. I do not feel great about SMU personally, but think they have a better chance of getting a bid then Florida State. I believe that it will be Tennessee instead of SMU (I'd say 70/30 Tennessee gets in).

Edit: Thanks for all the complements guys.