PDA

View Full Version : Surprise NCAA Selection

warriorfan4life
03-15-2014, 05:53 PM
The one team that I guarantee that none of the bracketologists are considering but has historical precedent of getting in is Belmont. They outright won their league, have the win at North Carolina, a strong overall road/neutral record, and played a very good overall OOC schedule. I do not believe that they are anywhere close to one of the 36 at-large teams, but the idea of the committee picking the 36 best at-large teams has long been proven to be farcical. The committee has put two at-large teams from mid-major conferences into of the at-large play-in games in each of the last two seasons, and think that Belmont-Green Bay could be that game this season.

TheSultan
03-15-2014, 06:03 PM
Of the 99 brackets used in the Bracket Matrix, not a single one has Belmont in the tournament. I really doubt that will happen. UWGB is really the only one that has a remote chance as a regular season mid major winner...and I don't think it's a very good chance.

kneelb4zerg
03-15-2014, 06:05 PM
Damn't I thought this was going to say Marquette.

warriorfan4life
03-15-2014, 06:12 PM
Of the 99 brackets used in the Bracket Matrix, not a single one has Belmont in the tournament. I really doubt that will happen. UWGB is really the only one that has a remote chance as a regular season mid major winner...and I don't think it's a very good chance.

How many of them had Iona in 2012? My hypothesis is that at least one, if not two mid-major winners will be in Dayton. I think Louisiana Tech is also a distinct possibility there, but Belmont's profile will likely be preferred by the committee. I believe that myself and my colleagues on our mock committee are all quicker to pick up this trend then all of the bracketogolists.

Nukem2
03-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Belmont would be a headache for Bucky...

MU/Panther
03-15-2014, 06:15 PM
I think Green Bay has better shot at the ncaa's than people think.

TheSultan
03-15-2014, 07:01 PM
How many of them had Iona in 2012? My hypothesis is that at least one, if not two mid-major winners will be in Dayton. I think Louisiana Tech is also a distinct possibility there, but Belmont's profile will likely be preferred by the committee. I believe that myself and my colleagues on our mock committee are all quicker to pick up this trend then all of the bracketogolists.

7 had Iona in. Which frankly speaks well for UWGB.

But since Bracket Matrix started in 2006, there has never been a team listed on none of the brackets they follow to make the tournament.

warriorfan4life
03-15-2014, 08:39 PM
Our committee has sort of dismissed Belmont tonight, but we feel pretty strongly about Green Bay getting in.

IWB
03-17-2014, 08:17 AM
The one team that I guarantee that none of the bracketologists are considering but has historical precedent of getting in is Belmont. They outright won their league, have the win at North Carolina, a strong overall road/neutral record, and played a very good overall OOC schedule. I do not believe that they are anywhere close to one of the 36 at-large teams, but the idea of the committee picking the 36 best at-large teams has long been proven to be farcical. The committee has put two at-large teams from mid-major conferences into of the at-large play-in games in each of the last two seasons, and think that Belmont-Green Bay could be that game this season.

Low and behold, you were right about the matchup, Belmont-Green Bay, just in the NIT.

warriorfan4life
03-17-2014, 09:20 AM
Low and behold, you were right about the matchup, Belmont-Green Bay, just in the NIT.

I hope Green Bay puts the disappointment of not getting an at-large behind them, as I think they could make a long run in the NIT. Still mad to see NC State in ahead of them.

MU/Panther
03-17-2014, 06:54 PM
SMU as a ranked team doesn't make the field. I guess rankings don't matter.

TulsaWarrior
03-17-2014, 08:38 PM
If GB gets by Belmont the next game up would probably be St. Johns, in NYC.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-18-2014, 01:09 PM
I didn't look at closely at profiles as I usually do, but looking at SMU's it's no wonder why they were left out. Only 10 games against the top-100, and 8 of those were in conference. They went 0-2 against non-con top-100 teams (Virginia and Arkansas). Almost as many bad losses (3 sub-100) as good wins (4 top-50) and seven sub-200 teams on their non-con schedule. Not the first time a ranked team has been left out and won't be the last either.

Larry Brown said that he knew their league wouldn't get much respect when he saw Louisville was a 4 seed. He was wrong. It had nothing to do with the league and everything to do with who they played and who they beat. If you want to get respect, schedule more than 2 top-100 non-con opponents.