PDA

View Full Version : NIT Tickets

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-15-2014, 09:03 AM
We've made the tourney every year I've had enough disposable income to actually afford to regularly go to games, so this will be my first season with a possible home NIT game I can afford. For those that have done this before, how do they handle ticket sales? Does MU contact season ticket holders? Seems like if the game is at the Al, there will be too many calls to make to actually offer them to everyone. Or do you just go to Ticket Master and buy them? Also, any idea how long they take to post? If we're playing at the Al, I really want to see that game. Should be a great environment.

MU/Panther
03-15-2014, 09:27 AM
I think it's first come, first serve. I will just go to the AL on Monday morning to buy my tickets, if MU gets a home game.

mutpm
03-15-2014, 12:47 PM
I believe the last time, it was basically first come first serve. I'm sure they will hold a small amount for those at the top of the point system, but that's about it. Should there be a home game, MU will have a very short turnaround to sell tickets.

03-15-2014, 12:48 PM
Do games start right away on Monday and Tuesday?

Nukem2
03-15-2014, 12:54 PM
Do games start right away on Monday and Tuesday?Probably Tuesday and Wednesday, though there have been some Monday games. If it were to be at the Al, student attendance might affect getting in?

MU/Panther
03-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Tom Crean had to buy student tickets for students to come to the game. They havn't done Monday 1st round NIT games for years now.

Nukem2
03-15-2014, 02:42 PM
Tom Crean had to buy student tickets for students to come to the game. They havn't done Monday 1st round NIT games for years now.If the game was at The Al, students would show up. Will be Just back from spring break with no pressing academic issues. There would be a big turnout. At the BC would be a different story.

MU/Panther
03-15-2014, 02:49 PM
I don't think you will get a mass amount of students paying for tickets. The student section in the north corner of the Al only seats about 300. If they are lucky to fill that, great! They will save their money at $20 tickets. Some students think it's paying alot at $99 for student season tickets.

unclejohn
03-15-2014, 03:47 PM
It has never been an issue before. In all the years I have been following the team, they have never sold out an NIT game. The closest they came was in Deane's first year when they played the final game before New York at the arena against South Florida. The BC was booked. Marquette pushed tickets for that game, and I believe had a little time to do it. The atmosphere was great, but did not quite reach a sellout, and those 9000 people would have rattled around like marbles in the BC. To be fair, Marquette has been a relatively good draw in the NIT, and there is usually only a few days to sell tickets, so the season ticket holders and the occasional fans do not show up. The people who do are the committed fans, like people who post on this board for instance. I recall Mike Deane saying after an earlier game in the NIT that year that there were only 6000-8000 fans at the game against St. Bonaventure, but they made as much noise as the usual 15,000 for a typical game. So the short answer is that I do not expect Marquette will be making lots of phone calls to season ticket holders who would not have much time to buy tickets and decide to come to the game. They will sell out first come first served, and the people who buy tickets will all actually be there. I ought to be an exciting atmosphere. Disappointing to be in the NIT, but it should be fun.

03-15-2014, 03:54 PM
It's a bit different if it's at the Al, though. Only 4,000 seats, so definitely will be closer to capacity than a game at the BC or Arena would be.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-15-2014, 03:55 PM
As long as tickets are reasonable they will sell out the AL no problem... That said even if they gave tickets away they wouldn't sell out the BC... I'm not sure what a standard NIT ticket goes for, but I think there is enough people that would be interested in seeing a game at the AL that they could get it done.

MU/Panther
03-15-2014, 04:01 PM
Last time MU was in the NIT v. Western Michigan, attendance was 3,181.

03-15-2014, 04:03 PM
I'll be honest...I'd rather lose in the First Four than win the NIT title, but this does sound like a lot of fun. I love the idea of watching a meaningful game at the Al. As much as I'd rather be dancing, I'm looking forward to a home NIT game quite a bit.

TheSultan
03-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Ticket info released by MU.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031514aaa.html

I take this as a pretty solid sign they will be hosting a game Tues or Wed.

IWB
03-15-2014, 04:33 PM
For Immediate Release

Potential Marquette NIT Tickets On Sale Monday

First Two Home Games Would Be At The Al McGuire Center

Milwaukee – In anticipation of the Marquette men’s basketball team’s potential participation in the 2014 National Invitation Tournament, the MU Ticket Office is preparing for sales to begin Monday, March 17 at Noon CT.

Due to the fact MU is hosting the NCAA tournament (March 20-22), any home games awarded to the Golden Eagles in the opening two rounds of the NIT would be played on campus at the Al McGuire Center. First round dates are March 18-19 and MU could also welcome a visiting team for second-round action on Friday, March 21 or Sunday, March 23.

Following the NIT bracket announcement on Sunday night, season ticket holders will receive an email from the athletics department, detailing the process for ordering tickets. Season ticket holders will have the first opportunity to purchase tickets and will be limited to two tickets per account. The time in which they are able to purchase will be determined by their current priority point total. Specific account information and on-sale times will be included in the email.

The 32-team field will be announced Sunday night at 7:30 p.m. CT on ESPNU.

The process for the NIT will be similar to the one used for single-game ticket sales utilized in October.

MU/Panther
03-15-2014, 04:36 PM
I'll be honest...I'd rather lose in the First Four than win the NIT title, but this does sound like a lot of fun. I love the idea of watching a meaningful game at the Al. As much as I'd rather be dancing, I'm looking forward to a home NIT game quite a bit.Well, the first four is part of the 68 team field. That's the goal of 365 schools. I agree with that statement.

MU/Panther
03-15-2014, 04:38 PM
Ticket info released by MU.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031514aaa.html

I take this as a pretty solid sign they will be hosting a game Tues or Wed. They also had a press release for MU volleyball hosting and it never happened.

Nukem2
03-15-2014, 04:42 PM
They also had a press release for MU volleyball hosting and it never happened.
Prepare...prepare.

unclejohn
03-15-2014, 05:00 PM
The press release did say if, but at least a first round game would be likely. All that requires is to be in the top half of the bracket. With those twelve (so far) automatic bids, there are probably only one or two who could get a home game, so the rest, or about ten teams, are going to fill up the bottom half of the bracket. That's ten out of sixteen.

MU_Iceman
03-15-2014, 05:08 PM
So basically if you aren't very high up in the pecking order, you are gonna be SOL?? Hmmm that doesn't seem real fair to all the season ticket holders, but I guess what else can you do??

MU/Panther
03-15-2014, 05:14 PM
So basically if you aren't very high up in the pecking order, you are gonna be SOL?? Hmmm that doesn't seem real fair to all the season ticket holders, but I guess what else can you do??
I don't see many of the blue hairs in the lower bowl buying NIT tickets.

3,181 was the last MU NIT home game crowd.