PDA

View Full Version : Saw some solid Chicago hoops games last two nights

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Thought I'd share some insights into those who haven't had the chance to see a few of these players as some of them are being recruited by Wisconsin, Marquette and other schools.

St. Viator (top 25) vs Stevenson (#2) - Stevenson is an outstanding team. They gave Simeon all they could handle in the title game last year with all sophomores and are probably one of the favorites to win it all this year with all juniors.
-Roosevelt Smart (jr, St. Viator) - Creighton, Wich State and Wisconsin all in the house to watch him. He's an attacking, undersized athletic wing with a solid handle. If his shot is on (as it was the previous game when he scored 31) he is pretty tough to stop. He's a solid defender. His stock has fallen a bit as he's had a pretty inconsistent high school season trying to adjust to a new school and system but all in all he's a solid player. I think the Big Ten is a little too big time for him personally but will fit in very nicely with a mid major.
-Ore Arogundade (sr, St. Viator) - committed to Drake and he is going to be a steal imo. 6'4 attacking wing but has dramatically improved his handle and outside stroke and could very easily have gone high major with the level he played at this season.
-Connor Cashaw (jr, Stevenson) - not sure who is recruiting him but my guess is he's a mid major player. Very nice mid range and attaching game. 6'4 smooth player who can get it done inside and out.
-Jalen Brunson (jr, Stevenson) - kid is on a different level. John Groce from Illinois was there (probably wasting his time as this kid is destined for big time). I've discussed my man crush on Tyler Ullis multiple times and this kid is probably a close second. I think he will be playing professionally someday - only thing working against him is his size - 6'1 but he plays the point. An absolutely perfect stroke, can shoot it from anywhere, especially off the bounce and is strong enough to attack the cup as well. Going to be a scoring pg for whatever college he decides to attend. Did Buzz ever look into him or just assume that the blue bloods will be on him and didnt want to waste his time?

St. Joes (#10) vs Fenwick (#11)
-Glyn Watson (jr, St. Joes) - the kid was a man amongst boys. Quick as lightening, explosive, explosive, explosive off the bounce when popping ofr his shot or attacking the cup. Great handle, quick release with a bit of an eratic and flat looking shot but somehow gets it to fall. Can attack the cup at will and difficult to stay in front of. A legit high major pg and I know Marq has shown interest - having not seen Duane Wilson, I kept wondering to myself if the two are really that different? My guess would be the size and quickness difference with watson being smaller but quicker.
-Scott Lindsey (sr, Fenwick) - committed to Northwestern. Hasnt fully recovered from his broken leg a few months ago. Not a high major player imo.

warriorfan4life
03-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Great observations Windy City. I have fallen out of the loop in keeping up on high school hoops (outside of Marquette recruits), but I remember being incredibly right at times and terribly wrong just as often. I really liked Scott Christopherson (at least for Crean's system), and he became an excellent player under the Mayor. I thought James Harden was a top 10 player in the loaded class of 2007, and now he is the best two guard on the planet.

On the flip side, I hated the games of Patrick Beverley and Jacob Pullen. I thought that both guys were undersized chuckers that would not translate to the college game. Beverley is now a rotation guy in the NBA after a pretty good career at Arkansas. Pullen had a legendary career at Kansas State and became one of my favorite college players of the last decade.

BLT
03-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Arogundade was recruited by Todd Townsend at NIU and then at Drake when he moved there where he sealed the commit.

CaribouJim
03-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Jalen Brunson seems like he has an article and/or picture in the Trib or Sun-Times at least a couple times a week.