PDA

View Full Version : Just Returned from Coach-Al McGuire play

Gato78
03-28-2012, 09:57 PM
What a wonderful night for Al McGuire fans. Coach, the play about Al was performed tonight at The Performing Arts Center on the 35th Anniversary of the National Championship. Dick Enberg was there as well as Allie McGuire, Rick Majerus and many of Al's former players. George Thompson, Earl Tatum, Bo Ellis, Brian Brunkhorst, Jim Boylan, Ulice Payne, Ric Cobb, Bob Piercy, Joe Thomas and many others. A lot of the Marquette power structure (Fr. P) and many alums.

Cotter Smith was tremendous as AL. I had seen the play when it first came out and Smith was much more Al-like tonight than I remembered. I think he added some material, too--or I may have forgotten parts. Best part was after the play when Cotter Smith, Dick Enberg, Allie McGuire and Rick Majerus took the stage and told Al stories. People were roaring with laughter. This night reminded me again of how special Al was, how lucky we were to have him and to win the National Championship. I have said this many times on the message boards: the Al years' uniqueness and craziness cannot be overstated nor can anyone overstate how special those years were. Mrs. Gato said it made her proud to be from Marquette. The play is there again tomorrow night--go if you can.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-28-2012, 10:02 PM
How much are tickets? May have to venture out tomorrow

Gato78
03-28-2012, 10:21 PM
My ticket was $34.00 and I had great seats. Cotter Smith isn't Al, there was only one. But as he said afterwards, he isn't trying to be Al but to give us a window into Al. He does a great job of providing that glimpse, allowing us to spend another hour with Al.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-29-2012, 07:37 AM
Question for ya, my girlfriend is not from the area and has no idea who Al McGuire is (other than my stories), I am trying to give her an idea of who he was and what he was like, would this play be a good way? Or do you have to know a little bit of back story before you see it? I don't want her to get there and be confused

Gato78
03-29-2012, 09:04 AM
She won't get some of the subtleties but it would still be pretty entertaining.