PDA

View Full Version : Pilarz Update

TheSultan
03-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Apparently has been named President of Georgetown Prep...which is the equivalent of MUHS right?

MUfan12
03-11-2014, 11:29 AM
It appears to be a pretty prestigious school, but still. Certainly appears to validate those who said that he wasn't cut out for MU's presidency.

Regardless, I hope he finds more fulfillment in this role.

DCwarrior
03-11-2014, 11:54 AM
It's much more prestigious than MUHS. It's the ultimate rich kid's school where parents oftentimes send their kids there to stroke their own egos. Tuition is brutal -- over $30K/yr for regular students and over $50K/yr to live there.

MulliganMusings
03-11-2014, 12:14 PM
For some reason I'm having difficulty posting as I had attempted to post this story earlier. As an alum of both Prep and MU I'm hoping Fr. Pilarz is a more competent president at my high school alma mater than he was at my university alma mater. Prep is the nation's oldest Catholic high school and DC Warrior is correct in terms of its costs. That said they have a robust financial aid program and there are many students who attend who are not "rich kids". I can't speak to MUHS but Prep is an exceptionally challenging academic environment and admission is highly selective. A very high percentage of graduates go on to Ivy schools or other highly regarded academic universities such as Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Boston College, Notre Dame and, of course, Marquette. A number also matriculate at highly competitive public universities such as UVA and UNC.

By the way Prep is also the alma mater of Georgetown's Markel Starks and former Georgetown and current Indiana Pacer Roy Hibbert among other sport, political, entertainment, business and intellectual luminaries

Here's the announcement from Prep:
Dear Georgetown Prep Community,

I am delighted to share with you that on Monday, March 10 the Board of Trustees voted unanimously to appoint Father Scott Pilarz, S.J., to be the next President of Georgetown Preparatory School. We will have the honor and privilege of welcoming Father Pilarz when he joins our school community on July 1, 2014. This is exciting news and we are thrilled that he has accepted this appointment as the next leader of Prep as we enter our 225th year.

Father Pilarz is an outstanding teacher, administrator, and leader. He has been the President of both the University of Scranton and Marquette University. Father Pilarz is no stranger to Prep as he served as a member of the Board of Trustees from 1997 to 2003. He has been the chairman of the board of his own high school, Camden Catholic, for the last eight years and has served on its board for the last twelve years. He also served on the board of Scranton Prep High School for seven years. Father Pilarz is a graduate of Georgetown University and holds a PhD in English from the City University of New York, a masters degree in Philosophy from Fordham University, and a masters degree in Divinity from the Weston Jesuit School of Theology (Boston College School of Theology and Ministry). He was a professor of English at Georgetown where he was very involved with their campus ministry programs. Father Pilarz is currently a professor in the English Department at Saint Joseph’s University in Philadelphia. He is the author of Robert Southwell, S.J., and the Mission of Literature 1561-1595: Writing Reconciliation, as well as numerous articles on subjects ranging from John Donne to leadership in Ignatian education.

Father Pilarz has a passion for education and will be a powerful leader of our mission to educate men for others. He has the vision and skills to lead Georgetown Prep into exciting new opportunities in education and furthering our mission, while honoring our rich Jesuit history and strong traditions and values. Father Pilarz looks forward to working with our excellent faculty and staff to challenge, support, and care for our students as they develop into accomplished scholars, athletes, artists, men of faith, and generous citizens in their communities. Father Pilarz is eager to work with the entire community to ensure Prep’s continued success as an outstanding school, enhance our Ignatian spirituality, and ensure a vibrant Prep for future generations.

This appointment is the culmination of a nine-month, international search that engaged many in the Prep community—students, alumni, parents, faculty, staff, and other friends of the school. Thank you for taking the time to meet with our Search Committee and search consultants, complete surveys, and share your thoughts with us. It has been clear throughout this process that each of you possesses genuine commitment to and passion for our school. We worked closely with Father James Shea, S.J., the Provincial of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus and with Father Richard McCouch, S.J., the Provincial Assistant for Secondary Education, and we are grateful for their assistance. We considered and met with many excellent candidates and we are grateful for their interest in and passion for Prep and our mission. We would like to thank everyone who participated in the search, with special gratitude to the entire Search Committee. Through their efforts and many hours of hard work, they prepared and executed a thoughtful and inclusive process.

In closing, I would like to express deep gratitude to Father Sauter and Jeff Jones. Father Sauter assumed the role as superior of our Jesuit community and has tirelessly sustained our Jesuit and spiritual community throughout this search. Jeff Jones has dedicated himself to Prep as both our Headmaster and Acting President for the past year. In a time of transition, Jeff faithfully led our school while maintaining the high standards of our 225 year old Jesuit institution. Jeff will be working closely with Father Pilarz in the coming months.

I know Father Pilarz is looking forward to joining the Prep community, to meeting you and working with you to build on an incredible foundation, a clear mission, and a strong community.

Sincerely,

Thomas Boyland '78
Chair, Board of Trustees

Nukem2
03-11-2014, 12:45 PM
I guess his career peaked out at MU.

MUBasketball
03-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Any update on Larry?

BLT
03-11-2014, 12:59 PM
Good luck to him. Has been teaching at St. Joes this past semester. Said he didn't want to be a college president any longer. He clearly values the academic so this puts him closer to the students and a step down on the travails of being an administrator.

MulliganMusings
03-12-2014, 09:28 AM
As an alum, of both Georgetown Prep and Marquette, I can only hope that Fr. Pilarz is more effective in his role at my high school alma mater than he was at my university alma mater. Prep, among other things, is the nation's oldest Catholic high school having been founded in 1789. It's all boys and one of the few remaining Catholic boarding schools (although the majority of the enrollment is day students). As alluded to the tuition is steep but there is also a robust financial aid program to bring in a diverse student body. Many alums have distinguished themselves in the fields of business, politics, media, entertainment, education and sports. Speaking of sports First team All Big East guard Markel Starks, of Georgetown, is an alum as is former Hoya and current Indiana Pacer Roy Hibbert. All graduates typically go to college with a high percentage attending Ivy league schools and other elite private universities such as Duke, Johns Hopkins, Boston College, Notre Dame and Marquette as well as outstanding public university such as UVA and UNC. Here's the letter the school sent out to alumni regarding Fr. Pilarz's appointment:

Dear Georgetown Prep Community,

I am delighted to share with you that on Monday, March 10 the Board of Trustees voted unanimously to appoint Father Scott Pilarz, S.J., to be the next President of Georgetown Preparatory School. We will have the honor and privilege of welcoming Father Pilarz when he joins our school community on July 1, 2014. This is exciting news and we are thrilled that he has accepted this appointment as the next leader of Prep as we enter our 225th year.

Father Pilarz is an outstanding teacher, administrator, and leader. He has been the President of both the University of Scranton and Marquette University. Father Pilarz is no stranger to Prep as he served as a member of the Board of Trustees from 1997 to 2003. He has been the chairman of the board of his own high school, Camden Catholic, for the last eight years and has served on its board for the last twelve years. He also served on the board of Scranton Prep High School for seven years. Father Pilarz is a graduate of Georgetown University and holds a PhD in English from the City University of New York, a masters degree in Philosophy from Fordham University, and a masters degree in Divinity from the Weston Jesuit School of Theology (Boston College School of Theology and Ministry). He was a professor of English at Georgetown where he was very involved with their campus ministry programs. Father Pilarz is currently a professor in the English Department at Saint Joseph’s University in Philadelphia. He is the author of Robert Southwell, S.J., and the Mission of Literature 1561-1595: Writing Reconciliation, as well as numerous articles on subjects ranging from John Donne to leadership in Ignatian education.

Father Pilarz has a passion for education and will be a powerful leader of our mission to educate men for others. He has the vision and skills to lead Georgetown Prep into exciting new opportunities in education and furthering our mission, while honoring our rich Jesuit history and strong traditions and values. Father Pilarz looks forward to working with our excellent faculty and staff to challenge, support, and care for our students as they develop into accomplished scholars, athletes, artists, men of faith, and generous citizens in their communities. Father Pilarz is eager to work with the entire community to ensure Prep’s continued success as an outstanding school, enhance our Ignatian spirituality, and ensure a vibrant Prep for future generations.

This appointment is the culmination of a nine-month, international search that engaged many in the Prep community—students, alumni, parents, faculty, staff, and other friends of the school. Thank you for taking the time to meet with our Search Committee and search consultants, complete surveys, and share your thoughts with us. It has been clear throughout this process that each of you possesses genuine commitment to and passion for our school. We worked closely with Father James Shea, S.J., the Provincial of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus and with Father Richard McCouch, S.J., the Provincial Assistant for Secondary Education, and we are grateful for their assistance. We considered and met with many excellent candidates and we are grateful for their interest in and passion for Prep and our mission. We would like to thank everyone who participated in the search, with special gratitude to the entire Search Committee. Through their efforts and many hours of hard work, they prepared and executed a thoughtful and inclusive process.

In closing, I would like to express deep gratitude to Father Sauter and Jeff Jones. Father Sauter assumed the role as superior of our Jesuit community and has tirelessly sustained our Jesuit and spiritual community throughout this search. Jeff Jones has dedicated himself to Prep as both our Headmaster and Acting President for the past year. In a time of transition, Jeff faithfully led our school while maintaining the high standards of our 225 year old Jesuit institution. Jeff will be working closely with Father Pilarz in the coming months.

I know Father Pilarz is looking forward to joining the Prep community, to meeting you and working with you to build on an incredible foundation, a clear mission, and a strong community.

Sincerely,

Thomas Boyland '78
Chair, Board of Trustees