PDA

View Full Version : Two Buzzer Beaters

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Lost amidst the disappointing finish today was two awesome finishes for Marquette in this game. I missed the UConn game last year and somehow have never before seen a buzzer beater in live action. That changed at the end of the first half, when the ball bounced into Obekpa's hands before Jake stole it and nailed a three as time expired.

Then, the fantastic finish to regulation. Gardner's free throws, the steal that led to Jake's layup, punctuated by Todd beating the buzzer for the tying basket.

If only Derrick's last jumper had fallen, it would have been three in one game for the same team. Regardless, still one of the most exciting college basketball games I've ever seen. Did either team ever have a lead bigger than 6? Incredible game.

ValiantSailor
03-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Lost amidst the disappointing finish today was two awesome finishes for Marquette in this game. I missed the UConn game last year and somehow have never before seen a buzzer beater in live action. That changed at the end of the first half, when the ball bounced into Obekpa's hands before Jake stole it and nailed a three as time expired.

Don't tell anyone, but it was DWil who stole the ball out of Obekpa's hands, then passed it to Jake for the layup. Wouldn't want anyone who's down on DWil to have his bubble burst....

VS

TheSultan
03-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Don't tell anyone, but it was DWil who stole the ball out of Obekpa's hands, then passed it to Jake for the layup. Wouldn't want anyone who's down on DWil to have his bubble burst....

VS

Yep, rightly credited with the assist too.

Derrick was not a problem at all yesterday.

Markedman
03-09-2014, 01:22 PM
St Johns lead by 8 in the first half

MUAlphaBangura
03-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Yep, rightly credited with the assist too.

Derrick was not a problem at all yesterday.

Derrick also had a text book charge at the beginning of the 1st overtime that loser Wally Rutecki didn't call. It was a blatant charge that cost us two points. I wouldn't have even cared if they would have called a block, but something had to be called with the amount of contact. Derrick just does all the little things that aren't glamorous, but are needed to have a chance to win.

TheSultan
03-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Derrick also had a text book charge at the beginning of the 1st overtime that loser Wally Rutecki didn't call. It was a blatant charge that cost us two points. I wouldn't have even cared if they would have called a block, but something had to be called with the amount of contact. Derrick just does all the little things that aren't glamorous, but are needed to have a chance to win.

He flopped. There was no way that amount of contact knocks someone over. I thought it was a pretty good no call after seeing the replay.

MUAlphaBangura
03-09-2014, 01:42 PM
He flopped. There was no way that amount of contact knocks someone over. I thought it was a pretty good no call after seeing the replay.

I actually heard the contact from my seats yesterday. Believe me, there was contact.

TheSultan
03-09-2014, 01:47 PM
I didn't say there wasn't contact. They replayed it a couple times. Derrick definitely amplified it.

MUAlphaBangura
03-09-2014, 03:07 PM
I didn't say there wasn't contact. They replayed it a couple times. Derrick definitely amplified it.

Guess I have never seen Derrick really flop. He is the one guy on this team that is going to take whatever punishment necessary to take a charge. One tough kid.

MU/Panther
03-09-2014, 04:43 PM

Then, the fantastic finish to regulation. Gardner's free throws, the steal that led to Jake's layup, punctuated by Todd beating the buzzer for the tying basket.

If only Derrick's last jumper had fallen, it would have been three in one game for the same team. Regardless, still one of the most exciting college basketball games I've ever seen. Did either team ever have a lead bigger than 6? Incredible game.
D. Mason in 2004 or Novak in 2006? Those were great!

Markedman
03-09-2014, 05:19 PM
I saw a Reece Gaines buzzer beater...that wasn't any fun.....

MU/Panther
03-09-2014, 07:57 PM
I saw a Reece Gaines buzzer beater...that wasn't any fun.....
Garcia in 2005 and Jerry Smith in 2007. Gaines wasn't a buzzer beater. MU did run a play with 5 seconds left. All the same, wasn't fun.

Nukem2
03-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Garcia in 2005 and Jerry Smith in 2007. Gaines wasn't a buzzer beater. MU did run a play with 5 seconds left. All the same, wasn't fun.
The Jerry Smith buzzer beater was a real stunner. The air just sucked right out of the BC.

MUMac
03-10-2014, 08:04 AM
The Jerry Smith buzzer beater was a real stunner. The air just sucked right out of the BC.

Yes it was. Worse than Gaines, as MU/Panther said above, MU still had a chance after Gaines shot. MU drew up a good play and had a good look at the end. Wade gets the ball at Midcourt, Diener to his right, Novak to his left. Diener gets a good look at a 3, but just misses. I wonder if that game were 3 weeks later, if Wade doesn't look to Novak. The Louisville D was leaning towards Diener and Novak may have had an even better look. He was a frosh and really just started to come on at that time. A few weeks later and Wade may have had the confidence to hit Novak.

Adding injury to insult, both Smith and Gaines were from Wisconsin.

MUfan12
03-10-2014, 08:19 AM
For me, the sting of the Gaines shot was erased a couple of weeks later, when MU came back from 19 down and won at Freedom Hall.

That might have been my favorite regular season win ever.