PDA

View Full Version : Turning point in season

Gato78
03-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Lively discussion at our house among MU family members. San Diego State game. Ball allegedly off of Deonte's foot. Changed that outcome. Wasn't off of Deonte's foot but the defender. If we beat them, we have a win against a team that is a top ten team. Gives us some juice going into the BIG EAST season. That was a big play in this season.

warriorfan4life
03-08-2014, 07:11 PM
New Mexico. Team was slow out of the gates, looked to be rounding into form, then blew second half lead and did not get it together until too late. The team needed the confidence of beating a good team away from home, and instead struggled to close out games all year.

mufansince72
03-08-2014, 07:12 PM
For me, it was earlier, the first couple games against the bunnies at the BC. I saw issues!

TheSultan
03-08-2014, 07:12 PM
I don't think any of those things really mattered. This team was about as good as its final record indicated.

Gato78
03-08-2014, 07:19 PM
This team had 6 overtime games and we were 2 and 4. We were so close to having a very different season. Especially when this team figured out how to leave it on the floor.

TulsaWarrior
03-08-2014, 07:22 PM
The difference was inches....a handful of possessions...a broken nose and an upset stomach.

Halo
03-08-2014, 07:23 PM
It just wasn't meant to be. How many bad breaks did MU get this year? It seems like a lot. However, often they left themselves in that situation with silly fouls, bad free throw shooting or costly turnovers. They had a few injuries, Mayo suspended vs. Wisconsin, Vander Blue and McKee. Against Providence, Davante's shot is missed by 0.5 seconds.

All they had to do was win a few of those games in the non-conference and pull out 2 of these BE games-like Butler, Xavier or one of these double OT games.

Wasn't Buzz's best year. I don't recall a game thinking "What a great game coached by Buzz" as I had in every other year.

Maybe they can finally catch a few breaks in NY. But I am not counting on it. Everyone seems drained.

Nukem2
03-08-2014, 07:26 PM
Agree with Gato and Tulsa. So close, but no cigars.

BLT
03-08-2014, 07:26 PM
This team had 6 overtime games and we were 2 and 4. We were so close to having a very different season. Especially when this team figured out how to leave it on the floor.

Also had two BE wins on one possession.

Gato78
03-08-2014, 07:37 PM
I thought his coaching job vs Providence at the Bradley with switching D's was one of his best coaching jobs ever.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-08-2014, 07:41 PM
There were quite a few points that I think could have turned the season. The SDSU moment was one. At ASU, when Derrick's runner was blocked was another. Had he got it over Bachynski or (more realistically) kicked back to Jake for three it may have changed things.

But really for me, the two big ones are the Butler and 'Nova losses. Not necessarily a specific moment, but those were games we should have had. Butler was all but done and we just let them creep back in. By the time it went to OT, you just knew we were going to lose, and we got murdered. The 'Nova game was the opposite. We were the ones that were dead and buried and we got the miracle finish to force OT. When Todd sent us to overtime, especially coupled with the fortuitous charge call, it seemed like there was no way we would lose. Then we just folded on defense in the extra frame. All that momentum gone in a heartbeat. Give us those back and it's a completely different season.

The past week has been tough, but as many have indicated, this is kind of what you expected. We come back against Providence, but every time we made a move they had an answer. At one point I know I posted that the game seemed unwinnable because every time we took the advantage they snaked it right back. Today I thought we were going to win. I really did. Even after the Harrison dagger. But then we didn't. As many have said, a microcosm of the season.

I don't think this team is as bad as their record. I don't think we're as good as I earlier thought, but I think 19-12 or 20-11 and squarely on the bubble would be a bit more reflective of how good we are. Arizona State, San Diego State, New Mexico, we were either tied or had a lead in the last five minutes of all of those games. Most years, you'd think we'd get at least one of those. We didn't. In overtime games, we went 2-4. Those are essentially coin flip games. One bounce different and those games are wins. Most years, you'd expect to go 3-3. We didn't.

Two to three more wins and this season is different, but they didn't happen. A few more bounces against us than we'd maybe see in most years. The team's not as good as many of us thought, probably not quite as bad as their record, but I don't think you can really say they are that far off of where they should be.

Markedman
03-08-2014, 07:43 PM
When you play so many close games without a go to player you will usually lose more of them then you win.

Good teams blow teams out at least from time to time....we just weren't good enough to do that. We had to compete like hell just to keep games close.

Maybe we used up our luck on close game wins last year and this season was a regression to the mean......if so I can live with it.

GOMU1104
03-08-2014, 07:47 PM
This team was flawed from the start. One single call would not have changed where we are today.

Momentum is an effect, not a cause.

The turning point was the day vander blue declared for the NBA draft.

BLT
03-08-2014, 08:00 PM
Vander declaring started a string of off-season negatives.

Nukem2
03-08-2014, 08:04 PM
Vander declaring started a string of off-season negatives.
Yup, it was difficult losin Vander, Jameel and Duane with Steve's surgery and Todd's knee surgery followed by his sprained ankle and broken nose. Lots of hits with our most athletic guys. Such is life.

MU_Iceman
03-08-2014, 08:08 PM
The turning point?? Buzz suspending Todd for the UW game. Todd plays, they win that, no doubt in my mind. They win that, they have confidence they can win a road game in a tough environment, after losing a tight one at Arizona St. and then losing to SDSU, they really needed a confidence boost at that point. Beating UW on the road, could have been a huge springboard for the rest of the season. After that, they just never got footing. But the real dagger was the Butler game.

For the first time in many years, MU didn't play an exceptionally good game, and win one that you didn't really expect them to. They have always done that at least once a year. Unfortunately, they always lose one every year that makes you go...WTF?? Unfortunately, there were about 7 of those this year.

Also, I think people are WAY underestimating the effect of Larry's stupid decision to separate the underclassmen and upperclassmen. This team never had the right chemistry. If you don't think that had a major effect on that, then you're probably Larry's relative.

Nukem2
03-08-2014, 08:13 PM
The turning point?? Buzz suspending Todd for the UW game. Todd plays, they win that, no doubt in my mind. They win that, they have confidence they can win a road game in a tough environment, after losing a tight one at Arizona St. and then losing to SDSU, they really needed a confidence boost at that point. Beating UW on the road, could have been a huge springboard for the rest of the season. After that, they just never got footing. But the real dagger was the Butler game.

For the first time in many years, MU didn't play an exceptionally good game, and win one that you didn't really expect them to. They have always done that at least once a year. Unfortunately, they always lose one every year that makes you go...WTF?? Unfortunately, there were about 7 of those this year.
Ohhhkkkaaaay.

MUfan12
03-08-2014, 08:47 PM
This team was flawed from the start. One single call would not have changed where we are today.

Momentum is an effect, not a cause.

The turning point was the day vander blue declared for the NBA draft.

Spot on. They simply aren't good enough, and haven't been from the start.

94Warrior
03-08-2014, 09:30 PM
The turning point in this season has not happened yet - it will be Thurs night in NYC.

3 wins in 3 days. Remain positive, it's more fun than the alternative.

Why not us?

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-08-2014, 09:33 PM
The turning point in this season has not happened yet - it will be Thurs night in NYC.

3 wins in 3 days. Remain positive, it's more fun than the alternative.

Why not us?

Well, a win next Saturday would definitely constitute a turning point ;)

mufansince72
03-08-2014, 10:15 PM
When the decision was made, to stick with Dwill completely, was the turning point. There was no upside for the team once that decision was made. Play the young guys, take some lumps early, and improve would have made the difference in my opinion.