PDA

View Full Version : BIG EAST officiating

Gato78
03-08-2014, 05:42 PM
Has John Cahil hired his buddies? Seems like the same cast of characters in the stripes from the old BIG EAST and there are some bad ones. I watched Paul Szelc a couple times this year (wife formerly MU Blue and Gold Fund rep) and he is a real good ref. No drama. I think he should have been hiring guys like Szelc and some younger guys and unloading some of the goofs we have seen this season. It has been a bad year for officiating.

TheSultan
03-08-2014, 05:48 PM
The key will be what happens next year. Let's see what type of evaluation that Cahil has...if any.

BLT
03-08-2014, 06:17 PM
The league has a lot of wrinkles to work out like scheduling...this 11AM was not fan friendly for instance. That should have been an East Coast game start. The BC lower bowl was half full at game start.

Ackerman is out promoting the league in NYC. Love the dig at DePaul. That said, not sure how The Commissioner thinks the Providence Women's lacrosse team won the NCAA's in the Fall. First, this is a spring sport. Second, PC doesn't have a women's team.

http://tbd.radio.cbssports.com/2014/03/06/val-ackerman-i-think-were-in-a-quiet-period-in-terms-of-shifting/

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-08-2014, 06:22 PM
I think the early start time was due to it being Senior Day. The Bucks are at home tonight, so they had to get the floor switched over. They probably allot an extra hour at the end of the game for the Senior presentation. Had to start early to accommodate that.

MayorBeluga
03-08-2014, 06:50 PM
I think the early start time was due to it being Senior Day. The Bucks are at home tonight, so they had to get the floor switched over. They probably allot an extra hour at the end of the game for the Senior presentation. Had to start early to accommodate that.

Nope. MU has had 1:00 tipoff with Bucks at night, even on Senior Day. Fox Sports 1 needs to figures in time zones. Have more early tips on the east coast and later ones in the midwest

CaribouJim
03-09-2014, 12:37 PM
The league has a lot of wrinkles to work out like scheduling...this 11AM was not fan friendly for instance. That should have been an East Coast game start. The BC lower bowl was half full at game start.

Ackerman is out promoting the league in NYC. Love the dig at DePaul. That said, not sure how The Commissioner thinks the Providence Women's lacrosse team won the NCAA's in the Fall. First, this is a spring sport. Second, PC doesn't have a women's team.

http://tbd.radio.cbssports.com/2014/03/06/val-ackerman-i-think-were-in-a-quiet-period-in-terms-of-shifting/

...and no mention of 'Ville and ND's departure and while they were correct in mentioning Xavier's impressive record over the last decade, MU's Elite 8 was the furthest that any of the new members went last year in addition to making the Sweet 16 prior year which was the furthest any of the present members went wasn't it?

ChitownAl
03-09-2014, 01:57 PM
Has John Cahil hired his buddies? Seems like the same cast of characters in the stripes from the old BIG EAST and there are some bad ones. I watched Paul Szelc a couple times this year (wife formerly MU Blue and Gold Fund rep) and he is a real good ref. No drama. I think he should have been hiring guys like Szelc and some younger guys and unloading some of the goofs we have seen this season. It has been a bad year for officiating.

Back to the focus of your post Gato, ​I agree. I didn't want to complain yesterday because it sounds so sour grapes, but Davante couldn't get a shooting foul call from that crew yesterday, nor all BE season, if his life depended on it. Yet, StJs get touch fouls from MU in scrums under the basket. We didn't get any calls in the last 12-15 mins. Officiating has been very inconsistent. Thanks for letting me vent.