PDA

View Full Version : Nit

GOMU1104
03-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Assuming we dont win the Big East Tournament and assuming there's a spot in the NIT for us...I hope the committee has the background/foresight to line up a Marquette/Indiana 2nd round matchup.

I know it would get alot of play in Milwaukee and Bloomington, I'm just not sure if those that make the bracket care that much...

I hope it happens....

MU/Panther
03-07-2014, 09:08 AM
The NIT seeds teams 1 thru 8 in four regions. They don't make match-ups.

TheSultan
03-07-2014, 09:09 AM
I think their seeding does tend to float to determine match ups. However my guess is that the NIT would want both IU and MU to make the Final Four.

Nukem2
03-07-2014, 09:09 AM
The NIT seeds teams 1 thru 8 in four regions. They don't make match-ups.
But, they can seed it to get the potential matchups they want.

MU/Panther
03-07-2014, 09:15 AM
It's a myth in the NCAA tourney and it's a myth in the NIT.

NIT Show is at 8pm on ESPNU.

MU/Panther
03-07-2014, 09:16 AM
NIT-ology
http://www.nycbuckets.com/2014/03/nit-bracket-march-7/

TheSultan
03-07-2014, 09:18 AM
OK...we will see how it ends up. BTW, is MU going to be able to host with the BC hosting the NCAAs? Is the Arena available? Would they play at the AL?

MUBasketball
03-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Maybe I'm a broken record, but it bears repeating. Take a look at the NIT projected field. This year (like every year), lots of good teams there that are going to miss the tournament.

Indiana - Did they win the Big Ten last year? Can't remember. Regardless, one of the top seeds in the Dance last year.

Cal - Coached by Mike Montgomery who has had great success in college and is a former NBA coach.

Illinos - Another top seed in the Dance last year.

WVU - In the Final Four a few years ago and coached by one of the winningest coaches in the game.

Vanderbilt - Marquette fans know real well how good they have been recently. Stallings is considered one of the better coaches out there as well.

Miami - Won the ACC last year, might not even make the NIT this year.

So, those are just a few specific examples. My point is, Marquette is in good company. Most on here are pretty sane so we already know this, I guess I should post this on Scoop instead!

Djgoldnboy
03-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Although the NIT doesn't hold the excitement the big dance does, a game against IU would def get me a little pumped up. No hard feelings anymore, would just be a great college game with the back story between us. Would be even more fun if Luke could play although that's impossible.

MU/Panther
03-07-2014, 11:11 AM
OK...we will see how it ends up. BTW, is MU going to be able to host with the BC hosting the NCAAs? Is the Arena available? Would they play at the AL? I'm getting word it will be at the AL.

ziggysfryboy
03-07-2014, 11:31 AM
I'm getting word it will be at the AL.

a real game at the Al would be fun.

MU/Panther
03-07-2014, 11:33 AM
a real game at the Al would be fun. Being at the Al, will cause fans to buy more tickets.

Djgoldnboy
03-07-2014, 11:57 AM
Being at the Al, will cause fans to buy more tickets.

Agreed! Would be fun to go watch a game there. Atmosphere would be fantastic.

MUBasketball
03-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Would be fun at The Al, but could it really happen? Season ticket base is larger than what the arena holds. I understand that 4,000 seats will likely be enough for an NIT game, but who gets the tickets? Do they go on sale to season ticket holders in descending order based on point total until they are sold out? I'd be pissed if they sold out before I was able to buy.

Nukem2
03-07-2014, 12:49 PM
OK...we will see how it ends up. BTW, is MU going to be able to host with the BC hosting the NCAAs? Is the Arena available? Would they play at the AL?The real issue is that MU's AD staff is tied up with NCAA preparation. don't think they could feasibly host an NIT game during the first week...?

MU/Panther
03-07-2014, 12:52 PM
The real issue is that MU's AD staff is tied up with NCAA preparation. don't think they could feasibly host an NIT game during the first week...?

MU did it in 2004 at the BC, then hosted NCAA tourney Fri/Sun. They are not going to pass on a home game, if they can get one.

MU/Panther
03-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Would be fun at The Al, but could it really happen? Season ticket base is larger than what the arena holds. I understand that 4,000 seats will likely be enough for an NIT game, but who gets the tickets? Do they go on sale to season ticket holders in descending order based on point total until they are sold out? I'd be pissed if they sold out before I was able to buy. In years past it's first come, first serve. Like you said 4,000 will be enough.

Nukem2
03-07-2014, 01:08 PM
MU did it in 2004 at the BC, then hosted NCAA tourney Fri/Sun. They are not going to pass on a home game, if they can get one.
But, its one less day this year as the games are Thursday/Saturday. I could see a Monday game. Tuesday might be stretching things. Bucks are on the road that week, so the calendar is clear. But, lets see how the BET goes first...:)

mutpm
03-07-2014, 02:06 PM
I don't think there are games on Monday night. That would be a really tight turnaround for the visiting team.

MU/Panther
03-07-2014, 02:12 PM
But, its one less day this year as the games are Thursday/Saturday. I could see a Monday game. Tuesday might be stretching things. Bucks are on the road that week, so the calendar is clear. But, lets see how the BET goes first...:) It will not be at the Bradley Center. They have to put in the NCAA floor. It will be at the Al.

unclejohn
03-07-2014, 02:32 PM
I'm getting word it will be at the AL.

I think the Al would be a great idea. In the past, the NIT has not drawn all that well when we hosted it. We have drawn better than the capacity of the Al, but often not by much. So there were a bunch of fans rolling around like marbles in a mostly empty Bradley Center. The Al would sell out, and it would be full of the people who have been watching games for years or decades. The bandwagon fans will stay home.

Since the NIT has been taken over by the NCAA, it has become less interesting in my opinion. Perhaps somewhat more fair to the smaller conferences, as they get more chances to get in now, but less fair in that the seeded teams get all the home games, which gives them a huge advantage. And the tournament no longer matches teams up to promote attractive games, so perhaps we do not draw as well. I do not know if that is going to be that much of a factor, as in the past, we have played Drake, St. Bonaventure, Western Michigan, and Boise State. none of which were likely to draw a lot of people, but it might be a factor.

MU/Panther
03-07-2014, 02:50 PM
High Point is the first NIT AQ after their Big South quarterfinal loss today. They are likely looking at a 7 or 8 seed in the NIT.

MU/Panther
03-07-2014, 02:54 PM
I think the Al would be a great idea. In the past, the NIT has not drawn all that well when we hosted it. We have drawn better than the capacity of the Al, but often not by much. So there were a bunch of fans rolling around like marbles in a mostly empty Bradley Center. The Al would sell out, and it would be full of the people who have been watching games for years or decades. The bandwagon fans will stay home.

Since the NIT has been taken over by the NCAA, it has become less interesting in my opinion. Perhaps somewhat more fair to the smaller conferences, as they get more chances to get in now, but less fair in that the seeded teams get all the home games, which gives them a huge advantage. And the tournament no longer matches teams up to promote attractive games, so perhaps we do not draw as well. I do not know if that is going to be that much of a factor, as in the past, we have played Drake, St. Bonaventure, Western Michigan, and Boise State. none of which were likely to draw a lot of people, but it might be a factor.

I love the NIT in how it's set up now! I love how mid to lower conferences get a bid to the NIT for winning the regular season, but fail to get the auto bid to the ncaa tourney. I like in how it's seeded and you know the match-up and sites. I'm still bitter that Marquette had to go to Iowa State years ago.

Nukem2
03-07-2014, 03:28 PM
It will not be at the Bradley Center. They have to put in the NCAA floor. It will be at the Al.

Ah yes, that would be a big difference from 2004.

MUBasketball
03-07-2014, 03:38 PM
Ah yes, that would be a big difference from 2004.

Speaking of, the cookie cutter NCAA floors suck. Should have kept the actual home arena floors down like they used to.

MU/Panther
03-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Speaking of, the cookie cutter NCAA floors suck. Should have kept the actual home arena floors down like they used to.I'm glad for the players safety, that got rid of the stickets on the floor. I do miss the home teams floor used. It's free recruiting!

unclejohn
03-07-2014, 04:22 PM
I do not mind the custom made floors and skipping the slippery stickers. But did they have to make them so damn ugly? Blue on black lettering just does not work.

As for seeding in the NIT, the problem I have with it is that it guarantees home games to the high seeded teams. Granted, under the old system, they did it by availability and where they were likely to draw big crowds, so Ix4 never had to play a game on the road. But it gives a huge break to the home teams. The year we almost won it, we got to play the last game before New York at the Arena because South Florida had already played two games at home and we had won at Auburn. One of the organizers said that they tried to make every team win on the road to get to New York. It did not always work that way, but I think it made for a fairer tournament.

ziggysfryboy
03-07-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm glad for the players safety, that got rid of the stickets on the floor. I do miss the home teams floor used. It's free recruiting!

and those damn signs on the baseline. How unsafe are those things?!?!?!?!

IWB
03-07-2014, 09:15 PM
It will not be at the Bradley Center. They have to put in the NCAA floor. It will be at the Al.

While I do think The AL would be the preferred route, it would not be because of the floor. They put the Bucks floor down within 45 minutes of the end of a Marquette game.

pbiflyer
03-07-2014, 09:18 PM
and those damn signs on the baseline. How unsafe are those things?!?!?!?!

Since those probably are directed toward the tv crowd, couldn't they digitize those in like they do in baseball?

Nukem2
03-07-2014, 09:30 PM
While I do think The AL would be the preferred route, it would not be because of the floor. They put the Bucks floor down within 45 minutes of the end of a Marquette game.
But, the Bucks floor is there and a plan in place. But,it's not just the floor. Every evidence of MU, the Bucks an the Admirals and the Wave are extinguished. It's a totally different scene. Plus, they have to run thru all the possibilities. The Bucks play Sunday and then the BC is turned over to MU and the NCAA. At the NCAA games, it's truly different now. Not like an MU or Bucks game. And, no booze.

pbiflyer
03-07-2014, 10:33 PM
And, no booze.
As a long time attendee of the NCAAs I can assure you that there is alcohol at the games..........just none you buy there! :p

MU/Panther
03-08-2014, 07:39 AM
But, the Bucks floor is there and a plan in place. But,it's not just the floor. Every evidence of MU, the Bucks an the Admirals and the Wave are extinguished. It's a totally different scene. Plus, they have to run thru all the possibilities. The Bucks play Sunday and then the BC is turned over to MU and the NCAA. At the NCAA games, it's truly different now. Not like an MU or Bucks game. And, no booze.Marquette banners stay up. They take down Bucks and Admirals. They lay down the blue carpet as well.

warriorfan4life
03-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Hopefully we make a miraculous run in New York, but I actually am pretty excited to see a real game at the Al. A cool little spectacle to finish a disappointing season.

MU/Panther
03-10-2014, 09:37 AM
56 Belmont, Ohio Valley regular-season champions
63 Green Bay, Horizon regular-season champions
105 Vermont, America East regular-season champions
126 Davidson, SoCon regular-season champions
141 Florida Gulf Coast, A-Sun regular-season champions
176 High Point, Big South regular-season champions

All will be in the NIT, if they don't get an at-large birth to the ncaa's.

unclejohn
03-10-2014, 12:34 PM
I thought it also included conference co-champs who did not get a bid. In that case, there are three slots going to C-USA, which ended in a four way tie this year. That would be nine slots accounted for with a week of conference tournaments to go. Could be that half the field will be filled before they take at-large selections. There is no guarantee that we get in.

warriorfan4life
03-10-2014, 03:27 PM
I thought it also included conference co-champs who did not get a bid. In that case, there are three slots going to C-USA, which ended in a four way tie this year. That would be nine slots accounted for with a week of conference tournaments to go. Could be that half the field will be filled before they take at-large selections. There is no guarantee that we get in.

In the case of co-champions, it is just the top seed in each tournament. Gulf Coast had the tiebreaker over Mercer, so they got the NIT auto bid from the A-Sun. Louisiana Tech has it from C-USA, but both them and Southern Miss would have gotten into NIT regardless.

unclejohn
03-11-2014, 06:19 PM
Add Iona to the list. More likely to come. An NIT bid is no certainty.

warriorfan4life
03-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Marquette will make the NIT, but a win Thursday against Xavier is likely needed to shore up a game in the Al.