PDA

View Full Version : Big East Tournament bracket (through March 6th)

MUBasketball
03-06-2014, 10:43 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d15/MUBasketball/2014BigEastTournythrough3-6-14.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/MUBasketball/media/2014BigEastTournythrough3-6-14.jpg.html)

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-07-2014, 06:41 AM
This shows why Saturday is still so huge. I do not want to be on Creighton's side of the bracket.

warriorfan4life
03-07-2014, 09:54 AM
This shows why Saturday is still so huge. I do not want to be on Creighton's side of the bracket.

Also want to be on the opposite side of the bracket to St. John's, and a win Saturday accomplishes that.

kneelb4zerg
03-07-2014, 09:58 AM
If I'm reading this correctly, the highest seed we can get to is the 4 seed, right? We couldn't get all the way up to 3?

03-07-2014, 03:00 PM
If I'm reading this correctly, the highest seed we can get to is the 4 seed, right? We couldn't get all the way up to 3?

Correct. No matter how it played out, Xavier already has 10 wins and the tiebreaker over us due to their win over Creighton.

BLT
03-07-2014, 03:57 PM
As a newly converted member of the Optimist Club, I will remind folks that if MU wins on Saturday they will have the exact same record as in 2011 where MU finished at 9-9 in conference and 18-13 overall as well. They then won two in the BET before UL blew them out. With these potential bracket match-ups, MU should only be playing Top 50 (or soon to be after this weekend's games) teams the rest of the way to improve our profile. Three in a row and I think we are in. A big if i know but not out of the question considering the match-ups.

It all starts tomorrow.

mufan2003
03-07-2014, 04:09 PM
If MU wins Saturday, they will be 10-8, one game better than 2011 when they finished 9-9. That season, MU lost at home to Wisconsin. 10-8 in the Big East from 2006 through 2013 would more than likely put you in the Tourney. Hard to believe it has changed to where now possibly finishing 10-8 in Big East and tied for 3rd in conference....still leaves us likely having to win the BE tournament to get in.

Big East needs to kick some tail next November/December.

mufan2003
03-07-2014, 04:17 PM
I watched Dayton defeat St. Louis on Wednesday night in St. Louis. St. Louis is #17 in the country and on top of the A-10. Talk of 6 teams from A-10 getting in. St. Louis is good, but man, I bet MU and Georgetown could sweep them in a round robin. Not impressed with the level of play.

Gato78
03-07-2014, 07:43 PM
I had the exact same thoughts. They aren't that good. Would be battling low to middle of BIG EAST.

I watched Dayton defeat St. Louis on Wednesday night in St. Louis. St. Louis is #17 in the country and on top of the A-10. Talk of 6 teams from A-10 getting in. St. Louis is good, but man, I bet MU and Georgetown could sweep them in a round robin. Not impressed with the level of play.

94Warrior
03-08-2014, 09:56 PM
So, do we start with Xavier Thurs night?

MU_Iceman
03-08-2014, 09:58 PM
So, do we start with Xavier Thurs night?

Yes, and I'm GUESSING without Stainbrook. I'll take that.

94Warrior
03-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Here's the bracket...

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/bige/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/tournament-bracket.pdf

03-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Xavier Thursday, if we win we get the winner of the Creighton v Georgetown game.

I mean Creighton v winner of Georgetown/DePaul game...oh wait, no I don't :D

94Warrior
03-08-2014, 10:12 PM
There is no 'if', we will beat X. This season is far from over.

03-08-2014, 10:18 PM
I like our odds against Xavier. Came close on their court, and if Stainbrook is out, that's a big hole in the middle. Gardner could have a field day on their inexperienced bigs.

MU Viking
03-08-2014, 11:26 PM
Do we know Stainbrook's status?

RJax55
03-08-2014, 11:59 PM
Xavier pounded us on the glass in both games. Justin Martin is a tough match-up for MU, especially when we go to three guards.

03-09-2014, 08:54 AM
I think not having Stainbrook could hurt their rebounding. Not that he is necessarily a great rebounder himself, but he clears a lot of space with that big body to make it easier for Martin to operate.

BLT
03-09-2014, 09:51 AM
I think not having Stainbrook could hurt their rebounding. Not that he is necessarily a great rebounder himself, but he clears a lot of space with that big body to make it easier for Martin to operate.

+1. X uses him for space as they get very small without him. He also has a high assist rate as a result as defenses have to pay attention to him. He is also very efficient offensively. With him out, Nova only needed to guard the perimeter. More so for MU, with no anchor on defense, Gardner can go to town.

The Creighton match-up is a tough one. Xavier, I thought, played them very well defensively in the half court in their recent game. The heart of the Jays offense with their motion and picks runs through the foul line extended. They marshaled their forces to clog the foul line to disrupt the motion, always switching on any picks, and sagged off the extended foul line passer in the half court. Essentially, guard that line and disrupt it continually as everything spins off that motion off the ball. This limited Wragge as he only lives on the perimeter looking for the kick out from that middle motion.

Of course, X also had the quickness to stay with Creighton in transition and limit that vortex. If the Jays get on the run, there is no stopping them.

MU_Iceman
03-09-2014, 10:01 AM
+1. X uses him for space as they get very small without him. He also has a high assist rate as a result as defenses have to pay attention to him. He is also very efficient offensively. With him out, Nova only needed to guard the perimeter. More so for MU, with no anchor on defense, Gardner can go to town.

The Creighton match-up is a tough one. Xavier, I thought, played them very well defensively in the half court in their recent game. The heart of the Jays offense with their motion and picks runs through the foul line extended. They marshaled their forces to clog the foul line to disrupt the motion, always switching on any picks, and sagged off the extended foul line passer in the half court. Essentially, guard that line and disrupt it continually as everything spins off that motion off the ball. This limited Wragge as he only lives on the perimeter looking for the kick out from that middle motion.

Of course, X also had the quickness to stay with Creighton in transition and limit that vortex. If the Jays get on the run, there is no stopping them.

Why does it seem like Wragge has only made a bunch of 3's against MU and Nova this year?? Otherwise, he's been quiet. :mad:

03-09-2014, 10:15 AM
I will really be hoping Georgetown can knock off Creighton. I just don't think we match up well at all with the Jays.

MUMac
03-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Personally, I want Creighton. I think MU may have something against Creighton from the game in Milwaukee. Beat Creighton to enhance the resume. I want MU to play and beat the best.

BLT
03-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Why does it seem like Wragge has only made a bunch of 3's against MU and Nova this year?? Otherwise, he's been quiet. :mad:

Hardly. He had a season eFG% of 70%! But to answer your question, match-ups. Nova is small and likes to run. Creighton is taller and loves to run. For MU, McKay took a powder and MU's bigs don't match up to CU's talent. MU protects the paint and runs at the perimeter shooter. Wragge loves to trail and MU is too late when they sag on McDermott.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/creighton/ethan-wragge/game_stats

TheSultan
03-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Having Davante guard him one on one wasn't the best of ideas either.

94Warrior
03-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Personally, I want Creighton. I think MU may have something against Creighton from the game in Milwaukee. Beat Creighton to enhance the resume. I want MU to play and beat the best.

Resume no longer matters. Winning 3 games is the goal, by any means necessary.

MU_Iceman
03-09-2014, 12:09 PM
Hardly. He had a season eFG% of 70%! But to answer your question, match-ups. Nova is small and likes to run. Creighton is taller and loves to run. For MU, McKay took a powder and MU's bigs don't match up to CU's talent. MU protects the paint and runs at the perimeter shooter. Wragge loves to trail and MU is too late when they sag on McDermott.

Then don't sag on Mcdermott. Let him get his...he's going to anyway. Shut down everyone else(particularly Wragge).

Halo
03-09-2014, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't mind a shot again against Creighton either. I think Georgetown may knock them off though. With all of these teams on the bubble, this tournament should be fantastic.

MU_Iceman
03-09-2014, 12:18 PM

He was 10-17 from 3 vs. MU 59%
and 10-16 vs. Nova 63%

Vs. Rest of BE... 39%

03-09-2014, 01:22 PM

+1

At this point, whether we beat Xavier, Creighton, and 'Nova wouldn't be worth any more than beating Xavier, DePaul, and Butler. Winning three is the only way in, and probably worth a 12/13 seed if we do.

BLT
03-09-2014, 01:35 PM
He was 10-17 from 3 vs. MU 59%
and 10-16 vs. Nova 63%

Vs. Rest of BE... 39%

He had nine BE games where he shot 50% or better from three. And also shot it well against SDSU. Nebraska and St. Joe's who are/potential NCAA teams. Providence let McD go yesterday and he went off the 40s. Xavier in game two put a guard on DM off the switch and he struggled.

Keep CU in the 60s and you have a chance.

MUMac
03-09-2014, 01:48 PM

To me it does. I don't want MU backing into it by playing all 50-150 teams. Resume may not have been the best choice of words.

MayorBeluga
03-10-2014, 08:44 AM
To me it does. I don't want MU backing into it by playing all 50-150 teams. Resume may not have been the best choice of words.

To quote MIke Deane: "May the best team win? [Deleted for Lent] that. I want to win."