PDA

View Full Version : Is Marquette Basketball at a Crossroads?

MulliganMusings
03-05-2014, 08:21 AM
OK, I know I posted this on another board but I really would like to get the feedback of this community. I’m going to be a little self-indulgent and this will be a long post. Clearly this year has been a massive disappointment. Many, me included, were guilty of wishful thinking. We discounted the loss of Vander, projected brilliance from a highly touted recruiting class and substantial improvement from returning players. Unfortunately, as we quickly realized the loss of Vander was devastating. The freshman class, notwithstanding flashes of brilliance from Deonte Burton, wasn’t quite ready for prime time. The curse of potential could be most clearly seen in Jamil Wilson whose athleticism and late season surge in 2013 convinced many that he would have a breakout season in 2014. Few anticipated that Derrick Wilson would be our starting point guard and garner 30 minutes a game or that the highly touted Steve Taylor’s injury would impair him to the point of derailing what was supposed to be his emergence as the perfect stretch 4. Juan Anderson and Jake Thomas were, to paraphrase Dennis Green, exactly who we thought they were.

This team’s shortcomings were regularly on display. There was no leadership because, quite frankly, it doesn’t appear that any of our players possess the personality make-up combined with the performance, needed to take on that leadership role. What many have questioned, I believe unfairly, is the resilience, toughness and effort of this team. The effort was ALWAYS there what wasn’t was the talent level and the instinctive high basketball IQ, so apparent in teams like Nova and Creighton. We simply must accept, as was so evident in blowout losses to Villanova, St. Johns and Creighton that this team has average talent at best. So what does the future hold?

I believe Marquette Basketball is at a crossroads. I look forward to next year and the first question I have is where does the offense come from? While this year’s team was clearly offensively challenged where will the points come from next year? Over 56% of the points and 51% of the rebounds will leave the program. Our front court will need to be completely replaced and, as we look forward, we do not have a single proven post player on our roster with the best hope being that Luke Fisher will be a productive post when he becomes eligible in the second semester. There are far more questions than answers including:

Who Comes Back? Will there be transfers? Is JaJuan Johnson, the most highly ranked recruit in last year’s class, happy with how he has been used? Does he feel that next year will bring an opportunity or does he see the arrival of Ahmed Hill and the return of Todd Mayo and Duane Wilson as roadblocks to his playing time? When does Juan Anderson graduate? Is he on track to complete his degree this year and use the NCAA option of graduating and becoming immediately eligible at a school closer to home?

What Can We Expect From Those Who Will Be Here? If Todd Mayo returns (he’s 23 going on 24) can he provide a consistent level of production and provide a viable perimeter threat? Is Duane Wilson capable of taking over at the point and effectively replicate Derrick’s ability to run the team while adding the scoring element that Derrick cannot offer? Has Deonte scratched the surface and is he, if given starter’s minutes, capable of being the primary scorer without becoming a defensive liability. Can JaJuan, should he come back, and Ahmed Hill provide perimeter scoring? Can Luke Fisher become Marquette’s inside threat? Will Steve Taylor emerge as a true power forward?

Who Is Coming? As has been pointed out by some Satchel Pierce has yet to sign his LOI. What is that? What is the status of Malek Harris? Are we continuing to recruit and, if so, who? Do any of you seriously anticipate strong contributions from Sandy Cohen or Marial Shayock?

Schedule: Frankly, we may well look back on this season fondly by the end of 2015. Many of our conference foes, including Providence, Xavier, Georgetown, Villanova, St. Johns and Butler are likely to field strong teams and we could well have a losing record before conference play begins having completed a non-conference schedule which will likely feature Wisconsin, Ohio State, Arizona State (do they return the game in Milwaukee) and a brutal Disney tournament featuring Michigan State, Kansas, Georgia Tech and conference foe Xavier. We might be facing the very real possibility of the first losing season since 1999.

Diamond Stone: Has there ever been a more important recruit, in Marquette’s history, than Diamond Stone? I recall, during my college, days how disappointed we were when Joe Wolf, another great Wisconsin big man, left the state to go to UNC. Some would even argue that Wolf’s decision may have precipitated the decline that was accelerated by poor recruiting, Rick Majerus’ departure and the arrival of Bob Dukiet.

Marquette’s program is at a crossroads. Best case scenario is that last year’s class (Burton, Johnson, Wilson, Dawson) develops and plays to their ranking. Luke Fisher becomes the strong, multi-faceted big man forecasted out of high school. Ahmed Hill’s scoring skills translate to the college level and he becomes a key contributor off the bench. Steve Taylor finally realizes his potential. A three guard oriented offense enables Marquette to increase its offensive capability and generate enough defensive pressure to allow us to be a competitive team that sneaks into the NCAA or, more likely, returns to the NIT. However, after the signing of Diamond Stone, Glynn Watson and Nick Noskowiak Marquette fields its best team in years during the 2015-2016 season culminating in a Big East championship, top 10 ranking and high NCAA seed.

I will embrace this best case scenario because it’s too painful to contemplate the alternative.

TheSultan
03-05-2014, 08:30 AM
I'm not sure crossroads is the right description. I think this season was more of a wake up call for MU fans to show that the line between a great team and merely a good team is razor thin. That constant roster turnover may be OK in the short run, but in the long run can cause problems. I think you address many unanswered questions about this team, but many of those will be figured out during the off season and after the season begins. That isn't so much of a crossroads as it is a rebuilding year.

Which happens to a lot of programs. Villanova had a losing record two years ago...and now are a top 10 team. I think Marquette has the potential to be a similar path.

Nukem2
03-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Not at a crossroads. But, next season is very important in terms of development as there will be so many young/new guys ( and that includes Steve Taylor ). Buzz will need to be very flexible next year from the very start in September. He has to play the young guys whether he wants to or not. Also, there needs to be open competition for spots in the rotation next year. Can't guarantee the seniors anything.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-05-2014, 09:15 AM
Pretty sure Buzz has commented on Pierce. Don't think he could do that if a LOI wasn't signed. Marquette didn't release a statement, but Corey Evans did tweet out that Pierce signed. Lots more to address, but on my phone now.

mufan2003
03-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Villanova missed the NCAA Tourney in 2012. They are a top 10 team 2 years later and strong candidate to make the Final 4.

I think Buzz is fully aware of the issues. With more of an ability to recruit who he wants (no Pilarz or Williams), in terms of patching needs in the roster, I feel better that we will be better equipped for next season.

MUMac
03-05-2014, 02:29 PM
No way is MU at a crossroads. This season has been difficult to watch, at times, but the future remains bright. Last night, the end result was frustrating and some of the plays MU players made amplified the frustrations. That said, the team did not quit last night. Tough back to back road trip, big loss to Nova, down double digits in each half, come back to tie or take the lead in each half.

Teams/prorams at a crossroad do not do that. The players have not quit, the coaches have not quit - teams/programs at a crossroad cannot say that.

MU laces them up on Saturday, i expect the team to come out and play hard. They will not quit. They will move onto the Garden for the tourney. Hopefully they win them all, but either way, they will not quit.

Sorry, I just do not see the crossroads. I see a bright future, with a lot of talent both on hand and coming on board.

Markedman
03-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Transition is a better word then Crossroads.

Actually it is one of the things I love best about college basketball......nothing is a given.....Every school goes through it......some handle it better then others....Who gets better? Who doesn't? Who is willing to compete for the opportunity to play? How does a coach adjust and adapt?

Up until this year Buzz adjusted and adapted about as well as anyone could have expected....this year has been a struggle......can he figure it out with a new group next year?

I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.......

TulsaWarrior
03-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Not a crossroads but a speed bump.

MulliganMusings
03-05-2014, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I may have overstated it in my title but that's why I phrased it in the form of a question. I too believe the future is bright. I think to some extent this team was a victim of circumstances and had certain things happened differently we would have been looking at a completely different season. I do know one thing I am proud of the way these kids represent my alma mater. They do it with class and dedication and I find it repulsive when I come on boards and see them being savaged by so called fans. Fortunately, that behavior seems to be primarily limited to one board and it's not this or the Dodds community.

warriorfan4life
03-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Not a crossroads but a speed bump.

Very well put Tulsa. This will be a blip on the radar screen.