PDA

View Full Version : How much of this season is on Buzz?

AlexJesswein
03-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Much of the talk has been about the players...just curious to hear your thoughts

TheSultan
03-04-2014, 08:28 PM
I think he is playing who he should play.

Is he to fault for not enough development by the freshmen? Maybe. Is he to fault for too much roster turnover? Perhaps.

Too hard for me to say.

Halo
03-04-2014, 08:34 PM
I blame the housing situation.

TheSultan
03-04-2014, 08:36 PM
I blame the housing situation.

Way too simplistic. Might be the biggest of all red herrings. Not saying it wasn't a problem, but it is one that could have been overcome by good leadership, and hardly should have this much of an impact 30 games into the year.

MU_Iceman
03-04-2014, 08:39 PM
It's all on Buzz. And as steward of the program(as he would say), he'd tell you himself he has to take the blame. He has not been able to reach this group for whatever reason. He has not tried any "wrinkles" to get the offense flowing better. He has not had his best year, for sure.

MUMac
03-04-2014, 08:39 PM
Way too simplistic. Might be the biggest of all red herrings. Not saying it wasn't a problem, but it is one that could have been overcome by good leadership, and hardly should have this much of an impact 30 games into the year.

If this were scoop, halo would have used teal ...

TheSultan
03-04-2014, 08:40 PM
If this were scoop, halo would have used teal ...

HA. My apologies Halo.

Markedman
03-04-2014, 08:48 PM
I don't think we are where we are because we are being consistently out coached but ultimately the head coach is responsible for the product on the floor.

Halo
03-04-2014, 08:48 PM
HA. My apologies Halo.

Yep. :cool:

This season is on Buzz. Just as he gets all of the praise in the + years, he gets the blame in the - years for putting this group of misfits together.

However in his defense, this also isn't the team he thought he was going to have with Vander, Duane and Mckee out. But he still should have been able to mold the pieces together to have gotten a few more wins this year. Hopefully he can push the right buttons now over the last two weeks. All I want is to make the tournament and don't care what happens from there. Been disappointing to say the least.

MUMac
03-04-2014, 08:54 PM
I don't think we are where we are because we are being consistently out coached but ultimately the head coach is responsible for the product on the floor.

This is what I think as well. I also agree with Halo's comment that this is not the team Buzz thought he would have. Losing Vander, Duane Wilson and McKee changed the team, IMHO.

GOMU1104
03-04-2014, 08:59 PM
The players aren't good enough.

Is that on Buzz for not recruiting better players? Yes...although we all know the challenges there.

Is that on Buzz that the players haven't developed? Maybe...but it's also on the players.

Leaders accept the blame and deflect the praise. I'd bet Buzz would take the blame because he's the leader of the program...but it's not all on him.

warriorfan4life
03-04-2014, 09:03 PM
This team is exactly where it should be. Without a star, it is hard to match the firepower of good teams that play well. We have only lost to one inferior team, and are the definition of an average high-major team. I think we have young players in the program and/or signed the difference makers that we are currently lacking. I think a core of Duane Wilson, Hill, Burton and Fischer will be special, and there are plenty of other options to step forward to fill out a strong 8-9 man rotation.

Orlando
03-04-2014, 09:06 PM

I agree. In the sense that he is responsible for assembling the team, he is responsible. But he is coaching his rear end off to try and make something of this season. Given the flaws in the structure of this team, I feel fortunate to be in the last week of the season with an outside shot at the tournament. I think the erratic substitution patterns are a function of the individual player's inconsistency combined with his attempts to find the combination that works on a given night.

kneelb4zerg
03-04-2014, 09:34 PM
Ultimately everything is on the head coach.

But where subjects like this lose me is when we start assigning blame. Sometimes stuff happens...sometimes players leave...or they don't improve...or we miss a recruit...and it's just bad luck. And really no one is to blame.

Overall, obviously, the buck stops with Buzz.

warriorfan4life
03-04-2014, 09:39 PM

But where subjects like this lose me is when we start assigning blame. Sometimes stuff happens...sometimes players leave...or they don't improve...or we miss a recruit...and it's just bad luck. And really no one is to blame.

If this season was part of a trend and not an aberration in Buzz's record here, I would be a lot more frustrated.

MUMac
03-04-2014, 09:49 PM
This game may change some peoples thoughts ...

warriorfan4life
03-04-2014, 09:51 PM
This game may change some peoples thoughts ...

Hard to get on Buzz for losing to a top 50 team on the road with this group.

Halo
03-04-2014, 10:01 PM
Hard to get on Buzz for losing to a top 50 team on the road with this group.

It's his group however.

kneelb4zerg
03-05-2014, 05:33 AM
If this season was part of a trend and not an aberration in Buzz's record here, I would be a lot more frustrated.

Citing Buzz's past success to put this years failure into context makes you a Buzz apologist, apparently.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-05-2014, 06:46 AM
This season hasn't been what any of us hoped for. I think there's still a learning curve for Buzz. One thing to consider...in the past, what he's done has always ended up working by the end of the year. In the first year, it was easy with the Amigos. The next few years he had experience and guys that got what he wanted on the court. Whether Lazar, Butler, DJO, Jae, Van, or Junior, most of the main contributors figured it out. This year that hasn't been the case. For whatever reason, it just hasn't happened.

They're Buzz's guys, so the lack of shooting and the lack of on-court leadership is on him. There have definitely been some questionable coaching calls, but let's be honest, what coach ever goes through a season without making some questionable calls? But while this is a down year, it looks like a lot of these things are already being addressed. We have shooters like Wilson, Hill, and Noskowiak in the pipeline. We have guys that look like they have leadership potential in Burton and Fischer. I'm confident we'll bounce back in a year or two. Not going to get overly worked up because we have a down year.

Orlando
03-05-2014, 06:58 AM
Citing Buzz's past success to put this years failure into context makes you a Buzz apologist, apparently.

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I don't post that much and when I do, it's usually not to comment on an individual. I do read the board a lot though and I think the issue that a lot of people have with you is that even when good posters vent or show frustration you feel the need to respond, usually in a confrontational manner. I think most people here agree with your basic tenants that we should not rip kids, personally insult anyone or forget about all the good things Buzz has done because of one frustrating season.

But it is a message board. People should be able to vent and make "what was he thinking" type comments without you taking them to task for every comment. Most of the people on this board are level headed and more than likely come here to talk MU basketball because there is no one else in their daily life to do it with. My wife and kids couldn't care less and are amused by any frustration I show. I can understand why someone might just want to come here and say "What the#%$& was that". It doesn't mean they think they know more than Buzz or want him fired. I can see your need to defend on some of the other MU boards but not here. You come off as a zealot even if that is not your intention which it probably isn't.

Djgoldnboy
03-05-2014, 07:36 AM
I know I've said it a thousand times, but Vander Blue doesn't pull his Houdini act and we are fine. Simple as that. Instead it's a lose/lose for everyone involved this year.

mufansince72
03-05-2014, 07:38 AM
I think this team had a chance to improve, but that would have involved playing the freshman early in the year and sticking with them, as they have upside. They would have most likely taken some lumps early, but they lost most of those games anyway. The biggest disappointment in this season for me was doing the same thing over and over and thinking the outcome would change. If the pg situation does not change next year, I expect more of the same. MU is losing their front court firepower. Can't afford to have a guy who can't score and doesn't demand defense on the floor. Return Dwill to the role that suits him best. 15 minute per game in relief and in defensive capacity.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-05-2014, 08:36 AM
I think the freshman not playing has impacted what we hoped this season would be, but the way they have been handled is nothing new.

Blue as a freshman played because he was a very good defender. Gardner didn't because despite his obvious offensive acumen, he couldn't guard a donut shop across from a police station.

Mayo and Derrick both got some run as freshmen because they got the defense. Juan was behind the curve and mostly didn't see time.

It's the same this year. They got blooded early to see how we'll they got it. For the most part, they didn't. There were a lot of breakdowns, and while I love Burton, he seems to give back one easy basket for every great play he makes.

This is why practice matters. Because that's where the defense is installed. I don't think it's just about effort but simply who is demonstrating they get what we are trying to do. The best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores. The kids will be alright.

And while playing them more early may have payed off now, it also may have cost us some of the games we won. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Buzz rolled with the vets and they came up a point short in this one.

bleedbluegold03
03-05-2014, 09:14 AM

Man I really hope you're not a boss, you'd be walked all over.

Just bad luck...no one is to blame..kumbaya

TheSultan
03-05-2014, 09:21 AM
Man I really hope you're not a boss, you'd be walked all over.

Just bad luck...no one is to blame..kumbaya

You do realize right that good people do fail right? And that it is OK to occasionally fail, learn from your mistakes and work to prevent them from happening again?

Good bosses realize that. Bad bosses are those who assess blame and make drastic changes that are satisfying in the short term, but force out good people in the long term. Furthermore, who is really going to thrive in that type of environment?

warriorfan4life
03-05-2014, 09:25 AM
You do realize right that good people do fail right? And that it is OK to occasionally fail, learn from your mistakes and work to prevent them from happening again?

Good bosses realize that. Bad bosses are those who assess blame and make drastic changes that are satisfying in the short term, but force out good people in the long term. Furthermore, who is really going to thrive in that type of environment?

Bleed's mindset is typical of today's business graduates, and that is definitely not a good thing.

bleedbluegold03
03-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Bleed's mindset is typical of today's business graduates, and that is definitely not a good thing.

EVERYONE fails at points in their life. It's having no accountability is what blows my mind. Acceptance of failure and learning from mistakes is what make you a stronger human being. Suggesting that everything that goes poor is due to bad luck is a cop out, plain and simple.

kneelb4zerg
03-05-2014, 09:30 AM
EVERYONE fails at points in their life. It's having no accountability is what blows my mind. Acceptance of failure and learning from mistakes is what make you a stronger human being. Suggesting that everything that goes poor is due to bad luck is a cop out, plain and simple.

Who's not accountable? I never said or suggested that EVERYTHING that goes wrong is due to bad luck.

bleedbluegold03
03-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Who's not accountable? I never said or suggested that EVERYTHING that goes wrong is due to bad luck.

"Ultimately everything is on the head coach.

Overall, obviously, the buck stops with Buzz."

Sorry, am I missing the part where you give real accountability? Paraphrasing your post: "it's buzz's fault. but all these things happened that really sucked for him! but it's buzz fault."

kneelb4zerg
03-05-2014, 09:39 AM
"Ultimately everything is on the head coach.

Overall, obviously, the buck stops with Buzz."

Sorry, am I missing the part where you give real accountability? Paraphrasing your post: "it's buzz's fault. but all these things happened that really sucked for him! but it's buzz fault."

So you're saying it's Buzz's fault, for example, that Jamil Wilson hasn't stepped-up this year? Is it all his fault? 100%? Or is some of it on the player? So 50/50? Which is it?

Is it Buzz's fault that Vander went pro? Or his fault that he didn't have a replacement all lined-up? Or maybe Buzz didn't have a decent replacement because of the presence of Vander in the first place? Or maybe someone like TJ Taylor would have been a suitable replacement? Why the hell did he leave? I have no idea.

Is it Buzz's fault that Mayo went and got himself suspended for the Wisconsin game, possibly costing us a crucial non-conference win? Or that Mayo was hurt for the ASU game? Or that Davante Gardner got sick and was throwing up on the sidelines, the possible difference in the SDSU game?

Your outlook is far too simplistic, and that's being charitable.

bleedbluegold03
03-05-2014, 09:47 AM
mo·ti·vate (mō′tə-vāt′) To provide with an incentive; move to action; impel.

a massive part of any coach's job is to properly motivate his team to victory. this part is even more imperative at the collegiate level. Part of Jamil, Todd or any player not fully realizing their potential is much to do with Buzz. The fact I could watch the team last night and notice very little improvement from the first game on November 8th shows a failure as well.

For as much as Buzz has pushed the right buttons in years past and proven to find the right mix, he simply failed with this year's brew.

Or is that just bad luck and no one is really to blame?

TheSultan
03-05-2014, 05:11 PM
I'm pretty sure Jamil and Todd have both reached their potential. I just don't think there is much more to their games.

AbovetheRim
03-06-2014, 12:20 PM
So you're saying it's Buzz's fault, for example, that Jamil Wilson hasn't stepped-up this year? Is it all his fault? 100%? Or is some of it on the player? So 50/50? Which is it?

Is it Buzz's fault that Vander went pro? Or his fault that he didn't have a replacement all lined-up? Or maybe Buzz didn't have a decent replacement because of the presence of Vander in the first place? Or maybe someone like TJ Taylor would have been a suitable replacement? Why the hell did he leave? I have no idea.

Is it Buzz's fault that Mayo went and got himself suspended for the Wisconsin game, possibly costing us a crucial non-conference win? Or that Mayo was hurt for the ASU game? Or that Davante Gardner got sick and was throwing up on the sidelines, the possible difference in the SDSU game?

Your outlook is far too simplistic, and that's being charitable.

It's been a down year, it happens. I guarantee you that Buzz will own it 100% when the season concludes and not make any of the excuses that others seem to offer up at will on this board. Defections happen, suspensions happen, injuries happen. It's part of dealing with college kids and sports. I know this is only one example, but was Michigan banking on Burke AND Hardaway turning pro? How about McGary missing nearly the entire season? They seem to have done OK for themselves because they had a backup plan, didn't have huge recruiting misses, and were able to develop other guys. I'd ask you to put the whole Vander thing to bed but I know you won't be able to resist having the chance to discredit me, dismiss those points, and "prove" yourself right.

kneelb4zerg
03-06-2014, 12:41 PM
It's been a down year, it happens. I guarantee you that Buzz will own it 100% when the season concludes and not make any of the excuses that others seem to offer up at will on this board. Defections happen, suspensions happen, injuries happen. It's part of dealing with college kids and sports. I know this is only one example, but was Michigan banking on Burke AND Hardaway turning pro? How about McGary missing nearly the entire season? They seem to have done OK for themselves because they had a backup plan, didn't have huge recruiting misses, and were able to develop other guys. I'd ask you to put the whole Vander thing to bed but I know you won't be able to resist having the chance to discredit me, dismiss those points, and "prove" yourself right.

Of course he's going to own it and take responsibility. I don't disagree with anything that you say here. But why is acknowledging the uncontrollable called "making excuses?" He's fought his way around lots of bad/unforeseen circumstances in years' past; this year it just didn't work out as well.