PDA

View Full Version : Basketball experience

Mucrisco
03-03-2014, 02:40 PM
It seems that people are still on edge around here. I like to bring up this topic every few years for fun, and we might need a distraction before our next couple of tense weeks in Marquette basketball.

What types of basketball experience do you have? Did you play? Have you coached?

I had played basketball since kindergarten. I played four years of varsity basketball in HS, then went on to be a practice player with the women's team at Marquette. That led to becoming a manager for Terri's team, then the head manager. After that, I have been coaching for over 10 years of high school basketball and one as an AAU coach. This year, in addition to coaching high school, I have started my own AAU program, the Wisconsin Havoc. I watch a ton of basketball, but not the NBA. I've probably watched a total of NBA basketball for five minutes this year. For this year, I probably have watched at least 10 games in person, since last May. In addition to that, I'll watch as much college basketball on TV, as I can.

I look forward to hearing everyone's response.

We are Marquette!

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-03-2014, 02:51 PM
I only played through 8th grade, but didn't have near the ability to go further than that. Watched a ton of NBA in my younger days, now watch as much CBB as I can. No formal coaching experience.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Fun topic.
Bball was always my favorite sport and still is. Had a few D3 bball offers but decided to play soccer at Marquette. I still play bball in a fairly competitive league (got waxed by 3/5 of keno davis' drake team last year lol).

I have a lot of respect for those who've coached - I've never coached and honestly don't think I'd be a good one - would be too impatient and demanding. Love the game but don't watch as much as I'd like to.

Also like sunset walks on the beach and having poetry read to me. :)

pbiflyer
03-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Went head to head against Derek Harper, who went on to a long NBA career. He only scored 6 points on me the entire time I was guarding him. Coach even pulled him out of the game.
Impressive performance, if I do say so myself. *

*okay, I only was in the game for about 2 minutes total when he stole the ball and had three slam dunks. Their coach took him out to have mercy on us. It was actually my last high school game I ever played.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-03-2014, 04:14 PM
Ha! This is incredible! :)

Went head to head against Derek Harper, who went on to a long NBA career. He only scored 6 points on me the entire time I was guarding him. Coach even pulled him out of the game.

*okay, I only was in the game for about 2 minutes total when he stole the ball and had three slam dunks. Their coach took him out to have mercy on us. It was actually my last high school game I ever played.

unclejohn
03-03-2014, 04:19 PM
I was the designated hatchet man on my intramural team at Loras College, playing in the "guys who can't dribble without hitting themselves in the face" league. I was excellent in that role. It was fun except for the time one of my teammates did not see me and fired a rocket-propelled baseball pass to the guy behind me, which bounced off my nose and into the fourth row of bleachers.

Oh, and I did spend one season coaching the guys on our floor who had some ability. We made the playoffs. I showed up in a suit for the playoffs, and when we won, lit up an illegal cigar. In the words of the intramural director to one of our players, "Dennis, you boys take your basketball pretty seriously." I subbed people in and out and called occasional time-outs. Nobody died. I must have done OK.

IrwinFletcher
03-03-2014, 04:20 PM
I played through Soph year in HS. I coached 1 year of AAU in Illinois and had a 2 season gig as an Asst Coach at a Junior College. Was on the way to living my dream when this whole marriage thing got in the way:cool:

Watch a lot of college buckets and the only NBA stuff I watch is when an MU guy is playing. So thrilled Butler was drafted by my hometown Bulls.

Nukem2
03-03-2014, 04:23 PM
I was the designated hatchet man on my intramural team at Loras College, playing in the "guys who can't dribble without hitting themselves in the face" league. I was excellent in that role. It was fun except for the time one of my teammates did not see me and fired a rocket-propelled baseball pass to the guy behind me, which bounced off my nose and into the fourth row of bleachers.

Sounds like my role in CYO league.

DCwarrior
03-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Decent high school player at Cedarburg (all Ozaukee County and honorable mention all-conference). Probably could have been a role player in D3, but decided to drink in college instead. Played against a few good players in school (Larry Hisle Jr., Ernie Peavy, Gary Gresz and the rest of the Tosa East team that won state in 89, which was the best team I ever played against).

Goose85
03-03-2014, 04:44 PM
First of all, I appreciate the insight you bring to the board from a coaching and overall hoops stand point Crisco. Keep bringing it!

Like most I played when younger, but while I love basketball, football was my sport in high school. Taking MU hoops out of the picture, college football is my favorite sport to watch live or on TV, followed by college hoops.

I have long coached grade school basketball and continue to do so, having coached both girls and boys.

I have done limited reffing in grade school, which brings me to this point.

I would like to see a rule put in place (ok, I know not possible) where coaches and fans that want to yell at the refs (at the younger levels), should have to ref even just a couple of basketball games first. Amazing how differently you watch a game, and think of ref calls after having blown the whistle a few times, especially in close games.

kneelb4zerg
03-03-2014, 04:47 PM
I dominated the Jordan Jammer and made hella and 1 mix tapes when I was in Junior high.

TheSultan
03-03-2014, 05:14 PM
Played through 8th grade formally. Was on two intramural championship teams at Marquette and played pick up and in rec leagues for over 20 years until a knee injury forced me to retire. I was playing three times a week when I got injured, but I no longer am all that interested in playing.

I reffed games in the Tosa Men's League and down in Indiana for a number of years. I coached my son's travel teams for a total of seven seasons.

ziggysfryboy
03-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Starter on the freshman "B" team at my small high school (120 in our class).

Put that in your pipe and smoke it....

dubs98
03-03-2014, 06:38 PM
played throughout hs at mark millers alma mater (yeah, I'm name dropping when you got names that big:). lots of IM and also played on the womens practice squad for Terri for two years. Loved all of my hoops at the rec, but also had a great time playing against the ladies squad. Terri was tons of fun and the women were not only fun to play with, but good players as well. Still try to get out once a week, but with a return to school and a couple of little ones, once is all I get. No coaching, although I am threatening my kids that I will tackle that next year with them:)

dubs98
03-03-2014, 06:42 PM
oh yeah, I also enjoyed trying to pick fights with djgoldenboy on the court, but the guy was too damn happy all of the time to take me up on it.

MayorBeluga
03-03-2014, 08:11 PM
St. John Vianney "B team" bench warmer, grades 5-8.

Coaching experience? Reffing? Best damn coach and ref in the Fightin' 218. I can tell you every mistake a coach or ref made. Yup, I could do sports talk radio on WSSP - that's how much my coaching and reffing experience is worth!

CaribouJim
03-03-2014, 09:42 PM
As Mayor Beluga knows, played for the renowned Christ the King L'il Monarchs grammar school in Rochester, NY where we finished 13-3 and 2nd in Diocese my 8th grade year in '72. One of my best buddies called a Chris Webber and lost the game as a result. He visited from Boulder for the Seton Hall game and had the Fightin' 218 raz him for it. Was the Biddy Basketball Free Throw Champ the same year. Chicks threw themselves at me.

Played varsity for Bishop Kearney High School - we sucked - but guarded a guy a year ahead of me everyday in practice who was in the rotation for St. Bonaventure's 1977 NIT Championship team as a sophomore and had some big games against ND and ' Cuse as an upperclassman. I dunked for the first time at 16. Played in the same summer camp as ex- MU Coach Danny Pannagio's younger brother who went to a rival high school - he ended up playing at Delaware. Danny played locally at a real strong D3 school - one of the best in the country at the time - he was a gunner.

Bishop Kearney is now a b-ball power in NY - a 6-10 frosh is at Syracuse now and a better player who is a top 50 player but transferred to a prep school in the northeast. Name slips my mind. Not sure if he is going to SU too. Need to ask my bro back home.

Was on the 6' and Under intramural Champs my junior year in '79 where we were sponsored by the Avalanche - sweet unis too.

Lived about 2 blocks from DePaul campus after graduation and got the DePaul parish priest there to give me the key to the grade school on Tuesday nights where we took down the bingo chairs and played for a couple hours - lot of MU guys - quality of play increased over the years. Really fun. After we would go to Glasscott's on Halstead and hit on girls - unsuccessfully.

Moved to Austin in '84 and signed up for an inner city team with an MU buddy along with some ND guys. We lost first game something like 120 - 30. Guys who graduated from UT and UTSA and other colleges were on other rosters. One guy was in Spurs camp. In that first game a guy literally jumped over me to dunk. I'm a tad under 6' but would be routinely guarding guys as tall as 6'10 out of necessity. We were scrappy though and were losing "only" by 40 by the end of the year. Drinks on the UT campus post game and hit on co-eds - again unsuccessfully.

Last played a couple years back in a Chicago league at Windy City Fieldhouse, but 3 minutes into our first game I got the age appropriate ruptured Achilles. I miss playing.

PS - this Pitt/NC State game is entertaining.

CaribouJim
03-03-2014, 09:57 PM

Very funny. My first exposure to Derek Harper was his freshman year going up against MU who had another high profile freshman - Doc Rivers. You could tell within 5 minutes that those two were the best players on the court - regardless if they were freshmen. Derek was cat quick with a very high b-ball IQ.

farmerdoc
03-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Rode the pine for three years of hs hoops. Played and reffed IM ball at MU. Did alot of reffing, reaching the pinnacle of my career doing a JV Tosa East vs Tosa West game. Awesome time. Unfortunately medical school intervened and my reffing career ended.

Have coached a variety of elementary/middle school teams for my kids schools over the last 6 years.

BLT
03-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Put that in your pipe and smoke it....

You played with Corie Blount too?

Phantom Warrior
03-04-2014, 12:38 AM
Played in seventh and eighth grades. Was about 4'10" in seventh grade and 4'11" in eighth. Almost hit 5'0" as a freshman but didn't have a chance to make the freshmen team, not at 5'0". Our high school was one of the top half dozen programs in the state through most of my high school years.

Coached seventh grade boys in MPS for two years in '70-'71 and '71-'72. Had no idea what I was doing, but it didn't matter. Didn't coach again until '92-'93 - eighth grade girls at a private school. Absolutely loved it. Also coached boys for a couple of years - my son's team in fifth and sixth grade as well as a seventh grade team.

Have coached seventh and eighth grade girls now for 15 years, mostly eighth grade, both club and school. Our two practices per week are the highlight of my week. I would much rather coach practices than coach games. (I have to dial down my competitive nature quite a bit during games if I don't want to make a complete fool of myself.) It's the teaching of the game that I love - although winning is pretty good, too.

I've also coached freshmen and sophomores in summer leagues, but that requires a whole different mindset, one that does not really fit me.

I love coaching defense more than offense. I love it when my team shuts down another team or shuts down a star player.

I truly enjoy learning from other coaches. The more I learn, the more I realize how little I really know.

Interesting idea for a thread, Crisco. Hope the tournament this past week went well. Sorry we couldn't be in it. Maybe next year.

Mucrisco
03-04-2014, 08:46 AM
First of all, I appreciate the insight you bring to the board from a coaching and overall hoops stand point Crisco. Keep bringing it!

Like most I played when younger, but while I love basketball, football was my sport in high school. Taking MU hoops out of the picture, college football is my favorite sport to watch live or on TV, followed by college hoops.

I have long coached grade school basketball and continue to do so, having coached both girls and boys.

I have done limited reffing in grade school, which brings me to this point.

I would like to see a rule put in place (ok, I know not possible) where coaches and fans that want to yell at the refs (at the younger levels), should have to ref even just a couple of basketball games first. Amazing how differently you watch a game, and think of ref calls after having blown the whistle a few times, especially in close games.

Thanks, Goose.

Also, I completely agree with you about officiating. I don't know how people ref. That is a thankless job.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-04-2014, 08:48 AM
Also, I completely agree with you about officiating. I don't know how people ref. That is a thankless job.

If this season is any indication, I think the answer is inconsistently at best :D

Mucrisco
03-04-2014, 08:49 AM
Played in seventh and eighth grades. Was about 4'10" in seventh grade and 4'11" in eighth. Almost hit 5'0" as a freshman but didn't have a chance to make the freshmen team, not at 5'0". Our high school was one of the top half dozen programs in the state through most of my high school years.

Coached seventh grade boys in MPS for two years in '70-'71 and '71-'72. Had no idea what I was doing, but it didn't matter. Didn't coach again until '92-'93 - eighth grade girls at a private school. Absolutely loved it. Also coached boys for a couple of years - my son's team in fifth and sixth grade as well as a seventh grade team.

Have coached seventh and eighth grade girls now for 15 years, mostly eighth grade, both club and school. Our two practices per week are the highlight of my week. I would much rather coach practices than coach games. (I have to dial down my competitive nature quite a bit during games if I don't want to make a complete fool of myself.) It's the teaching of the game that I love - although winning is pretty good, too.

I've also coached freshmen and sophomores in summer leagues, but that requires a whole different mindset, one that does not really fit me.

I love coaching defense more than offense. I love it when my team shuts down another team or shuts down a star player.

I truly enjoy learning from other coaches. The more I learn, the more I realize how little I really know.

Interesting idea for a thread, Crisco. Hope the tournament this past week went well. Sorry we couldn't be in it. Maybe next year.

The tournament went well. Next year, I plan on inviting teams that will probably make the Padre and it will be earlier in the season, so that those teams can have a taste of what is to come. I hope your team can enter too.

TheSultan
03-04-2014, 08:54 AM

I enjoyed it. I actually liked the rec leagues because you could go back and forth with the players.

Once when I was reffing in Tosa, my partner walked out on me. Just left. So I had to do three games alone. At one point, the ball went out of bounds and I had no clue. So I just asked..."who did it go off of?" One guy just raised his hand...I laughed...

Great way to get out of the house and blow off steam as a young parent.

Phantom Warrior
03-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Crisco,

Me, too. It all depends on some of my players' club volleyball schedules. Club volleyball is the bane of middle school girls' basketball. I fear that five years from now girls' basketball will no longer exist. Every coach I talked with this year, whether in NDL, NSCL, Parkview, Waukesha, Racine, or Ozaukee/Washington County Leagues has had girls miss games due to club volleyball. For someone like me, for whom basketball always was and always will be number one, it's tough to take. Besides, the idea that club sports takes priority over school teams really rubs me the wrong way. But that's what's happening as parents pursue fantasies of their daughters earning D-1 scholarships. It's really sad.

As for Goose's reffing comments. I reffed for two years, and I got out. I don think I was a very good ref, and I didn't enjoy it. Plus, the money was ridiculous. I'm amazed there are as many as refs as there are. That being said, the quality of reffing, overall, is pretty low. Some refs call practically nothing, and the game gets out of control. (I watched a ref in a recent game in the St. John Vianny Tournament who did not blow the whistle once, not once, in a 24-minute game.) Others call every little touch so that there is absolutely no flow to the game. And there are too many overage, overweight refs who can't get up and down the floor any more. There are some very good refs, but not enough.

Sorry, end of rants about club volleyball and quality of reffing.

P.S. I loved coaching SC this year and am glad I am keeping this team for next year.

Goose85
03-04-2014, 09:24 AM
Crisco,

Me, too. It all depends on some of my players' club volleyball schedules. Club volleyball is the bane of middle school girls' basketball. I fear that five years from now girls' basketball will no longer exist. Every coach I talked with this year, whether in NDL, NSCL, Parkview, Waukesha, Racine, or Ozaukee/Washington County Leagues has had girls miss games due to club volleyball. For someone like me, for whom basketball always was and always will be number one, it's tough to take. Besides, the idea that club sports takes priority over school teams really rubs me the wrong way. But that's what's happening as parents pursue fantasies of their daughters earning D-1 scholarships. It's really sad.

As for Goose's reffing comments. I reffed for two years, and I got out. I don think I was a very good ref, and I didn't enjoy it. Plus, the money was ridiculous. I'm amazed there are as many as refs as there are. That being said, the quality of reffing, overall, is pretty low. Some refs call practically nothing, and the game gets out of control. (I watched a ref in a recent game in the St. John Vianny Tournament who did not blow the whistle once, not once, in a 24-minute game.) Others call every little touch so that there is absolutely no flow to the game. And there are too many overage, overweight refs who can't get up and down the floor any more. There are some very good refs, but not enough.

Sorry, end of rants about club volleyball and quality of reffing.

P.S. I loved coaching SC this year and am glad I am keeping this team for next year.

In 5th grade at our Catholic grade school we had two pretty good girls teams, by 8th grade they had to combine with another Catholic school to field a team. I also had some boys who couldn't play basketball this year as they were too busy with club soccer. I really hope these kids make their high school teams, as it is kind of dangerous to put all your eggs in one basket at such an early age.

goldenlegal22
03-04-2014, 11:10 AM
Hey everyone-

I am new to this board and often times just lurk and read what everyone is saying but thought this would be a good way to say hello. Love what I am reading on this board so far as it is far less reactionary than some of the other boards and stays on point with basketball and not a pissing contest into who called what 6 years ago. Anyways, I played basketball all through high school and was on an AAU team for a few years with Wayne Ellington and Gerald Henderson where I sat on the bench and passed water. Had some offers to play at some smaller schools but decided on MU and trying to walk on there. Walking on didn't work out but I did get to practice with the team for a bit and then stopped since it wasn't going anywhere and I wanted to focus on school and getting the most out of college (i.e. - beer). Still play some pick up today and would eventually like to coach my kids (when I have any and they are old enough).

Thanks for this starting this thread and for the overall quality of the board. Hoping MU can turn it around and pull out some magic down the stretch.

CaribouJim
03-04-2014, 11:36 AM
Hey everyone-

I am new to this board and often times just lurk and read what everyone is saying but thought this would be a good way to say hello. Love what I am reading on this board so far as it is far less reactionary than some of the other boards and stays on point with basketball and not a pissing contest into who called what 6 years ago. Anyways, I played basketball all through high school and was on an AAU team for a few years with Wayne Ellington and Gerald Henderson where I sat on the bench and passed water. Had some offers to play at some smaller schools but decided on MU and trying to walk on there. Walking on didn't work out but I did get to practice with the team for a bit and then stopped since it wasn't going anywhere and I wanted to focus on school and getting the most out of college (i.e. - beer). Still play some pick up today and would eventually like to coach my kids (when I have any and they are old enough).

Thanks for this starting this thread and for the overall quality of the board. Hoping MU can turn it around and pull out some magic down the stretch.

Impressive. Were Ellington and Henderson good guys? Any MU coaches in attendance during your AAU tenure?

goldenlegal22
03-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Impressive. Were Ellington and Henderson good guys? Any MU coaches in attendance during your AAU tenure?

From the limited interactions I had with them they seemed somewhat down to Earth. The h.s. I went to was much smaller than where they went so we never played them during the season and I only traveled with them to some games and mainly got to play along the east coast metro area (D.C., NYC, Philly) so I didn't get to know them well. But in comparison to some of the other people on the team or opponents, much more level headed than the rest.

I don't really remember if Crean or any of the assistants were at the games when I played and to be honest, back then I wouldn't have known any of the assistant coaches. Being from the east coast, MU was somewhat of an unknown to me at the time till my senior year when they visited my area as part of a "Catholic Schools Week" type thing and I eventually came out to visit. There were definitely the usually top level coaches there especially since Henderson and Ellington eventually ended up at Duke and UNC.

CaribouJim
03-04-2014, 12:08 PM
From the limited interactions I had with them they seemed somewhat down to Earth. The h.s. I went to was much smaller than where they went so we never played them during the season and I only traveled with them to some games and mainly got to play along the east coast metro area (D.C., NYC, Philly) so I didn't get to know them well. But in comparison to some of the other people on the team or opponents, much more level headed than the rest.

I don't really remember if Crean or any of the assistants were at the games when I played and to be honest, back then I wouldn't have known any of the assistant coaches. Being from the east coast, MU was somewhat of an unknown to me at the time till my senior year when they visited my area as part of a "Catholic Schools Week" type thing and I eventually came out to visit. There were definitely the usually top level coaches there especially since Henderson and Ellington eventually ended up at Duke and UNC.

You must have some great stories. Feel free to share the good, bad and the ugly if you want. Was your overall experience with AAU ball positive? Any slime bucket coaches? I always wondered about the burnout factor playing so much.

goldenlegal22
03-04-2014, 12:48 PM
You must have some great stories. Feel free to share the good, bad and the ugly if you want. Was your overall experience with AAU ball positive? Any slime bucket coaches? I always wondered about the burnout factor playing so much.

I would say my overall experience was 50% positive and 50% negative. The good was that I got to travel and play basketball in some great places against some amazing talent. The negative was that I didn't get to play much because the talent was so much better and it was a lot of work and travel that took away from being an average teenager. I think it would have been more positive if I had been a better player because it would have all meant something- I would have played more and maybe played in college somewhere. But because my skill set was smaller than the other players, I never really had a shot at seeing the floor more than 10 minutes a game and all that travel, practice time and workouts really didn't accomplish the goal of playing AAU to get into college.

Some of the coaches were slime buckets- both AAU and some of the college guys that came in. It seemed like the top college coaches doing the recruiting knew who their were competition was (obviously they were all there for the same few players) and would act friendly together but when alone with the player would do whatever it takes. I don't think that makes them a slime ball, that's just basic business attitude. What made me (and still does) upset is that these were and are 16-18 year old kids and they are being treated like commodities and not humans. Part of the reason I love Buzz is that it doesn't seem like that is how he treats. I would have loved to have seen Buzz talk to kids live and hear what they had to say about him.

When I have kids down the road, if they want to play AAU, I will of course try and get them into that, but would really advise them against it unless it is going to lead somewhere. Playing AAU on top of high school ball is so exhausting and it really becomes a career choice and for a teenager, you leave very little room to grow up. Part of the problem, I believe, with kids getting in trouble when they get to college for stupid stuff like grades, parties, etc. is because they didn't get to grow up and learn how to make those choices properly when they were in high school. By the time I got to college, I hated basketball and it took me watching the likes of Jimmy Butler to fall in love with the game again because he played so far out of position but still found ways to win and didn't care if he scored 1 or 21 points- the final score was the important stat and nothing else. If I had to make the choice on whether to play AAU, knowing what I do now, I wouldn't do it and just focus on my high school team and being a normal teenager but that's solely based on my experience of not having enough skill to make it like all the other kids did.

Goose85
03-04-2014, 01:09 PM
I would say my overall experience was 50% positive and 50% negative. The good was that I got to travel and play basketball in some great places against some amazing talent. The negative was that I didn't get to play much because the talent was so much better and it was a lot of work and travel that took away from being an average teenager. I think it would have been more positive if I had been a better player because it would have all meant something- I would have played more and maybe played in college somewhere. But because my skill set was smaller than the other players, I never really had a shot at seeing the floor more than 10 minutes a game and all that travel, practice time and workouts really didn't accomplish the goal of playing AAU to get into college.

Some of the coaches were slime buckets- both AAU and some of the college guys that came in. It seemed like the top college coaches doing the recruiting knew who their were competition was (obviously they were all there for the same few players) and would act friendly together but when alone with the player would do whatever it takes. I don't think that makes them a slime ball, that's just basic business attitude. What made me (and still does) upset is that these were and are 16-18 year old kids and they are being treated like commodities and not humans. Part of the reason I love Buzz is that it doesn't seem like that is how he treats. I would have loved to have seen Buzz talk to kids live and hear what they had to say about him.

When I have kids down the road, if they want to play AAU, I will of course try and get them into that, but would really advise them against it unless it is going to lead somewhere. Playing AAU on top of high school ball is so exhausting and it really becomes a career choice and for a teenager, you leave very little room to grow up. Part of the problem, I believe, with kids getting in trouble when they get to college for stupid stuff like grades, parties, etc. is because they didn't get to grow up and learn how to make those choices properly when they were in high school. By the time I got to college, I hated basketball and it took me watching the likes of Jimmy Butler to fall in love with the game again because he played so far out of position but still found ways to win and didn't care if he scored 1 or 21 points- the final score was the important stat and nothing else. If I had to make the choice on whether to play AAU, knowing what I do now, I wouldn't do it and just focus on my high school team and being a normal teenager but that's solely based on my experience of not having enough skill to make it like all the other kids did.

Question for you. Participating in AAU and club sports in general are seemingly forcing kids to play just one sport, sometimes at a young age.

Did you give up playing other sports, or another sport that you enjoyed, just to play just basketball? If so, do you now wish you would have played the other sport(s)?

Mucrisco
03-04-2014, 01:22 PM
I coached for Prestige last year. It was rated as the best program for girls in Wisconsin and #3 in the midwest. The program policy was that we allow for our girls to play other sports, as long as there was an open line of communication. If you have girls that are good at basketball, they are naturally going to be good at other sports since they are elite athletes. It was hard, not having some players for practice or games. However, in AAU, we felt that we were performing a service for the customer. That is unlike HS basketball where your players had to answer to the coach. So, the roles are kind of reversed. That was a dynamic that was tough for me to get used to. For my own program, I share the same philosophy that my players are allowed to play other sports. We just need to communicate with each other. I played three sports, and I understand if a girl wants to do the same.

Our trainer tells the girls that they like them in multiple sports. They want them to cross train. That way, they are not constantly working with the same muscles groups, where you are more likely to get injured.

I know there are other AAU programs in the area that do not want their players participating in other sports. One even forces them to sign a contract.

goldenlegal22
03-04-2014, 01:28 PM
I played baseball in high school and probably would have played football had our school had the funds to field a team. But I quit playing baseball before junior year so I could focus on basketball. I probably would have continued to play baseball if I wasn't trying to get into college for basketball but since I did quit, I'm not sure what the rule was for our AAU team since I didn't start AAU till junior year. I highly doubt we would be allowed to play two or more sports though or if there was no rule, it would be strongly discouraged.

CaribouJim
03-04-2014, 01:33 PM
I coached for Prestige last year. It was rated as the best program for girls in Wisconsin and #3 in the midwest. The program policy was that we allow for our girls to play other sports, as long as there was an open line of communication. If you have girls that are good at basketball, they are naturally going to be good at other sports since they are elite athletes. It was hard, not having some players for practice or games. However, in AAU, we felt that we were performing a service for the customer. That is unlike HS basketball where your players had to answer to the coach. So, the roles are kind of reversed. That was a dynamic that was tough for me to get used to. For my own program, I share the same philosophy that my players are allowed to play other sports. We just need to communicate with each other. I played three sports, and I understand if a girl wants to do the same.

Our trainer tells the girls that they like them in multiple sports. They want them to cross train. That way, they are not constantly working with the same muscles groups, where you are more likely to get injured.

I know there are other AAU programs in the area that do not want their players participating in other sports. One even forces them to sign a contract.

Crisco, am I playing stereotypes by saying that girls AAU slime factor is about 10% of boys AAU? However, that coach having the girls sign a contact to agree to focus only on b-ball is unsettling.

Djgoldnboy
03-04-2014, 01:36 PM
oh yeah, I also enjoyed trying to pick fights with djgoldenboy on the court, but the guy was too damn happy all of the time to take me up on it.

Ha! I couldn't catch you, that's probably why, fast little PG running around.

As for me, played organized ball through 8th grade. Not sure why I didn't play in HS, guess holding down a job had something to do with it. Still managed to play A LOT of pick up ball, 3 on 3 tourneys, etc.....never the best guy on the court, but never the worst either, can hold my own, feel I'm better on D than on O, and I'm OK with that. Still play in the park leagues around here as much as I can. Played a lot at the MU Rec Center courts from '96-'99 too. (See if any other guys happen to be on this board that played during that span).

My single claim to fame on the court is that I'm very good friends with former MU walk on Wade Harbin, he was my best man in my wedding, we use to play one on one quite a bit at MU after he left the team and focused on his shot putting in track. When we played, he would just sit outside and drain 3's on me all day, it was sickening how good he could shoot. Well one day, he was off, and I happen to be on, really on, and I managed to beat him. So to this day I say I beat a D1 college basketball player one on one, ha.

And second claim to fame is we were within 3pts of putting the Diener clan out of a Walleye Weekend 3 on 3 tourney in summer of '96 if I remember correctly. Wade H was on our team obviously and the Dieners were still in high school.

CaribouJim
03-04-2014, 01:36 PM
I played baseball in high school and probably would have played football had our school had the funds to field a team. But I quit playing baseball before junior year so I could focus on basketball. I probably would have continued to play baseball if I wasn't trying to get into college for basketball but since I did quit, I'm not sure what the rule was for our AAU team since I didn't start AAU till junior year. I highly doubt we would be allowed to play two or more sports though or if there was no rule, it would be strongly discouraged.

Great insight - thanks.

Mucrisco
03-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Crisco, am I playing stereotypes by saying that girls AAU slime factor is about 10% of boys AAU? However, that coach having the girls sign a contact to agree to focus only on b-ball is unsettling.

Yeah, I would say that is the case, However, I am surprised at the amount of shadiness on the girls side too. For example, the recruiting of players to another AAU club is non stop, even if they are already on teams. That's partly why I wanted to start my own club. I will only try do things the right way and if I fall behind due to that, so be it. Also, my top priority is the players in my program. It is not the amount of money that I bring in, because I am not keeping any for myself or my coaches, nor is it the demands of the parents. Maybe I will turn off some parents by being up front about that, but their demands do not come before their child's. When did youth sports stop being about the kids, and start being about the parents?

farmerdoc
03-04-2014, 06:30 PM
Amen Crico! Amen!

Great post.