PDA

View Full Version : Providence

Phantom Warrior
03-03-2014, 10:45 AM
I know we beat them the first time, but a big reason for that was the pressure brought at the beginning of the game. If memory serves, that's one of the games we started Deonte and Jajuan, and the trapping defense caught the Friars off guard.

In all honesty, I think we get creamed tomorrow. Cooley made a comment after the first game about looking forward to playing us again at their place. They will be itching for revenge.

Halo
03-03-2014, 10:56 AM
I agree. Not going to be pretty. If they mailed it in vs. Villanova, wait until they play an average team. This team has no heart and no leadership.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-03-2014, 11:02 AM
I think we're somewhat a bad matchup for the Friars. Their lack of depth plays into our hands. We ran 11 men at them last time. I'm sure they have this one circled on the calendar, but I don't see this playing out like yesterday did. I imagine a close contest most of the way, and expect we'll have a chance to pull it out in the final minutes. Not sure we will and expect a one or two possession game either way.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Honestly now that we are out I am kind of hoping Providence wins... In the latest bracketology update the Big East only has 3 teams in and I'd like to see us get 5

Nukem2
03-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Honestly now that we are out I am kind of hoping Providence wins... In the latest bracketology update the Big East only has 3 teams in and I'd like to see us get 5
Uhh, NO. We are MU fans first and foremost. MU still has a chance. Win 2 this week and finish at 11-7. Pick up at least one in BET and MU is right there. Worry about BE bids after tomorrow.

03-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Uhh, NO. We are MU fans first and foremost. MU still has a chance. Win 2 this week and finish at 11-7. Pick up at least one in BET and MU is right there. Worry about BE bids after tomorrow.

I've never cheered for a MU loss and don't suspect I ever will. Once we are done, I'll happily cheer for the rest of the Big East. But until we are done, they are simply the opposition.

MU/Panther
03-03-2014, 12:06 PM

I'm in for MU winning 1000%, but if they were to lose to PC, it helps out a Big East bubble team. If it helps the BE, it helps MU in the long run.

warriorfan4life
03-03-2014, 02:05 PM
I think the Big East will find a way to get 4 teams, as I do not expect the 7th and 8th rated conferences to get 5 bids and the 4th rated conference to get just 3. The Big East also has a committee member in the room in Creighton AD Bruce Rasmussen (Maybe he returns a favor to Marquette for helping get Creighton into the Big East).

In all seriousness, I think Providence is the 4th best candidate right now and they would have a decent chance if getting in if they get to 10-8 in the league. Definitely rooting for Marquette tomorrow, but I see where Buzz4Pres is coming from.

KMWTRUCKS
03-03-2014, 02:27 PM
20-13 with 3 wins and a loss to Vill or Creighton we would be right on the bubble. and out RPI would be about 50. Not saying that get us in but we would be very close. we would be real bad Vs the top25 RPI but so are most teams on the bubble. then you look at bad losses (only 1, and its not that bad) and look at how we did Vs teams around the same RPI as us. GTOWN, X, PROV,ST JOHN. IE 25-75? we have a winning record so you could argue that we are clearly not a top 25 team you can also argue that we are better then all but 40 or so teams. I think its very easy assuming we win the next 3 games to decide exactly were we should be ranked. Much harder with teams that are all over the board with Wins and losses. IE IU lots of bad loses and lost of good wins.
Which team are they. if we lose to PROV then I might say it would be good for the Conf if we lose to St John.

MU88
03-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Funny, MU is 15-2 against teams outside the top 50, last time I checked. A team like Kansas State is 13-4 or Dayton is 17-4. Fact is, if MU can beat PC and SJU (not saying they will), they will be 17-2 against teams outside the top 50. That is pretty darn good. Butler is their only real bad loss. Considering this is MU worst backcourt since Robb Logterman's freshman year, the team has done fairly well. Overscheduling during the early part of the year is killing them. If they would have played and beaten teams in the 100-200, instead of losing to ASU, SDSU, Ohio State, and New Mexico, they would be 21-8 and looking at an NCAA bid. Win the final two games and they are 23-8 going into the BE tourney.

mufan2003
03-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Agree completely. Win both this week and our quarterfinal BE tourney game. If so, we will be sweating on Selection Sunday but will have a shot. We will have likely beaten Providence 3 times and could be the 4th and final BE team in.

mufan2003
03-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Furthermore, if we finish 11-7 and win our quarterfinal BE Tourney game, we could very well be a candidate for a play-in game in Dayton for a #11 seed in the bracket. I would gladly take that over the uninspiring NIT Tourney.

mufan2003
03-03-2014, 02:59 PM
We were a #11 seed in 2012 when Buzz made his first Sweet 16. Just get into the tourney.

mufan2003
03-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Correction, #11 seed in 2011.

We were a #11 seed in 2012 when Buzz made his first Sweet 16. Just get into the tourney.

ValiantSailor
03-03-2014, 06:36 PM
I'll go on record...the only way we get in is to win the BET.

When was the last time in anyone's memory when Marquette failed to win a single game against a ranked opponent? 1963/64 - 50 years ago? The following year - Al's first and worst (8-18) - we still beat the top-ten St Johns. Did the Piano Man ever fail to beat at least one ranked team? The reason Providence, St Johns, and Georgetown have all been mentioned - while Marquette has not - is that every one of them has victories over ranked teams. We don't.

VS

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-03-2014, 06:45 PM

When was the last time in anyone's memory when Marquette failed to win a single game against a ranked opponent? 1963/64 - 50 years ago? The following year - Al's first and worst (8-18) - we still beat the top-ten St Johns. Did the Piano Man ever fail to beat at least one ranked team? The reason Providence, St Johns, and Georgetown have all been mentioned - while Marquette has not - is that every one of them has victories over ranked teams. We don't.

VS

I agree, I think others are too optimistic but when you look at our profiles side by side you see there is a pretty big difference.

dubs98
03-03-2014, 07:01 PM
agreed. only way is to win big east tourney or to win last two and get to final of big east tourney (which should guarantee a big victory). Even with a trip to the final game, I think we will still be sweating it out. Have played competitive against a lot of really good teams, but overall we just have not produced enough to get the job done this year.

TedBaxter
03-04-2014, 06:33 AM
I think MU bounces back with a win tonight. Have to be optimistic.

Goose85
03-04-2014, 11:13 AM
If we win tonight, and on Sat v. St. John's we end up 11-7 in conference and alone in 3rd place.

With a 19-12 record and 11-7 for 3rd in conference, if we win two in the conference tourney, does 21-13 get us in?

I know, winning those games are not likely, but just trying to be optimistic.

Mucrisco
03-04-2014, 11:29 AM

VS

If we win our second game in the Big East Tourney, I think we probably would beat a ranked opponent in that game, unless there is an upset.

MUfan12
03-04-2014, 11:59 AM
If we win tonight, and on Sat v. St. John's we end up 11-7 in conference and alone in 3rd place.

With a 19-12 record and 11-7 for 3rd in conference, if we win two in the conference tourney, does 21-13 get us in?

Yes it does. RPI would be low-mid 40's, and there would likely be a win over Creighton/Nova in the BET.

AlexJesswein
03-04-2014, 12:01 PM
For those curious:
http://www.rpiforecast.com/wizard/Marquette.html
http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/ct/Marquette.html

ValiantSailor
03-04-2014, 12:15 PM
If we win our second game in the Big East Tourney, I think we probably would beat a ranked opponent in that game, unless there is an upset.

Wouldn't surprise me if the semi-final opponent was St Johns.

VS

03-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if the semi-final opponent was St Johns.

VS

Don't think that's possible, unless the Johnnies can fall to 7. We could play them in the quarters, but the semis would be either Creighton, 'Nova, or a team that won a Wednesday play-in game. DePaul, Butler, and Seton Hall are locked into those Wednesday games, and with Georgetown needing 2 wins (and some luck) against Creighton and 'Nova to avoid the Wednesday game, it seems highly unlikely anyone else will be in the play-ins.