PDA

View Full Version : Big East Tournament - Who would you rather play?

IWB
03-02-2014, 05:40 PM
In the Big East Tournament, if MU wins game one, who would you rather face in game 2 - Creighton or Villanova?

MUfan12
03-02-2014, 05:51 PM
I think I'd rather play Nova. They at least allow MU to play with a traditional post. Creighton creates so many matchup problems on D, that it is hard to play them with Chris/Davante out there.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-02-2014, 05:52 PM
wow, tough tough question. one side of my brain says Creighton bc of Nova's overall talent level but the other side of my brain says Nova bc of our serious mismatch problems with Creighton.

Hmmm, I guess I'll go Nova.

2012Warrior
03-02-2014, 05:53 PM
I think I'd rather play Nova. They at least allow MU to play with a traditional post. Creighton creates so many matchup problems on D, that it is hard to play them with Chris/Davante out there.

I completely agree. Wragge is a matchup nightmare for us.

Awilhelmscream
03-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Nova no questions. I truly don't think we have the right guys to matchup with Creighton. Averages are averages for a reason and the odds of Nova getting as hot of a game today out of Hilliard as they did are slim.

warriorfan4life
03-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Also Nova. Not as good from deep, plus Gardner has the possibility for winning us a game down low. I also think that Creighton will be a lot more motivated to win the conference tournament, whereas Nova may sleepwalk through a relatively meaningless game for them. Hope that Creighton-St. John's play a 4 OT game opposite us in the semis.

MU_Iceman
03-02-2014, 06:23 PM
This is a good question...If MU continually fed Davante trip after trip he could score 50 against Creighton, their packline defense be damned. They have no inside presence. That being said, Xavier just beat them, so there is no reason to think MU can't. I guess Nova because had MU showed up at all, they could have beaten Nova today. They were basically Hilliard, and a bunch of reserves. Then again, that's scary to think Nova can beat MU that handily with essentially nothing from Bell or Archie.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-02-2014, 06:30 PM
If MU continually fed Davante trip after trip he could score 50 against Creighton, their packline defense be damned.

Just an observation here but with our inability to shoot from the outside and stretch a packline defense just a little bit makes it that much more difficult to enter the ball to Ox. We struggle with post entries to begin with let along against packline d's.

MU/Panther
03-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Villanova. The series history is close games, other than today. MU doesn't match up at all vs Creighton.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-03-2014, 07:42 AM
That being said, Xavier just beat them, so there is no reason to think MU can't.

But why did Xavier beat them? It was a combination of things. First, Creighton was massively cold from three. Shot under 30% for the game. For them, that's not good. But also because Xavier had three guys go off as inside/outside threats. Martin, Christon, and Davis all had big games and scored both inside and out. Three guys that could undermine the Creighton pack defense by hitting outside shots and getting inside to score when the Jays had to stretch. We simply don't have that. It's not that Xavier is necessarily a better team than we are, but their makeup is far better designed to handle a team like Creighton. We simply don't have the right kind of weapons to beat that type of team.

Without question, for me, Villanova. If Jamil had shown up yesterday (like he did against 'Nova at the BC) we probably would have at least made a game of it. On a good day for us and bad day for 'Nova, we could beat them. I'm not sure we could beat Creighton if we were at our best and they were at their worst.