PDA

View Full Version : Mick Cronin Tirade

CaribouJim
03-01-2014, 07:59 PM
While responding to Andy Katz questions about his tirade with Valentine earlier today he admitted he was wrong but did reference Buzz and another coach and himself as example of coaches that "can't get in a reff's face but a Coach K can".

Just showed interview a few minutes ago. I like Mick.

MUMac
03-01-2014, 08:05 PM
I mentioned this on the Premium board. I loved the comments, because Valentine was WAY out of line. I watched it live and was shocked at Valentine's actions. T Cronin up, fine, but what he did was wrong.

I really do not like what I see of officials. A lot of theatrics. A lot of in your face. Confrontational. Rabbit ears. Jawing with fans. They are escalating the situation. Just call the game and stay in the background.

At the MU Creighton game, Mayo is playing D and the official is getting in his ear asking if he wants a T.

I listened to Jay, I am the gospel of basketball, Bilas. He is a bit of a hypocrite, after he himself chastised officiating last year. I really am coming to dislike him as an announcer and commentator.

CaribouJim
03-01-2014, 08:33 PM
I mentioned this on the Premium board. I loved the comments, because Valentine was WAY out of line. I watched it live and was shocked at Valentine's actions. T Cronin up, fine, but what he did was wrong.

I really do not like what I see of officials. A lot of theatrics. A lot of in your face. Confrontational. Rabbit ears. Jawing with fans. They are escalating the situation. Just call the game and stay in the background.

At the MU Creighton game, Mayo is playing D and the official is getting in his ear asking if he wants a T.

I listened to Jay, I am the gospel of basketball, Bilas. He is a bit of a hypocrite, after he himself chastised officiating last year. I really am coming to dislike him as an announcer and commentator.

Actually you beat me to the punch.

I think Jay thinks he needs to say something provacitve every time he opens his mouth.

Gato78
03-01-2014, 09:25 PM
Bilas is a self important phony. Or, I could just say he is a Dukie(Shane Battier exception).

IWB
03-01-2014, 10:28 PM
Question for the Bilas hating lawyers out there, why was Bilas a witness in the O'Bannon vs UCLA case?

kneelb4zerg
03-02-2014, 02:18 AM
Question for the Bilas hating lawyers out there, why was Bilas a witness in the O'Bannon vs UCLA case?

Bc he went on NCAA website, entered player names in search engine, then posted screen shots of the results on twitter (ie, search for Michael carter Williams produced Syr jersey with his player number), forcing ncaa to take down site in real time.

TheSultan
03-02-2014, 08:21 AM
I love Bilas. Much better voice for college basketball than the likes of Dickie V.

Nukem2
03-02-2014, 08:35 AM
I love Bilas. Much better voice for college basketball than the likes of Dickie V.
Actually, outside of game reporting ( which he is very good at ), he is mostly an advocate for elite schools. Color me unimpressed with that.

TheSultan
03-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Nukem, I am not sure exactly what you mean by being an advocate for the elite schools.

MUAlphaBangura
03-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Bilas thinks he is far more important than he actually is. A solid game analyzer, but the holier than thou attitude is too much. If Vitale is the standard to compare, yes he is better, but that's not saying much.

MUMac
03-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Alpha stated it very well. Last year his holler crusade was about officials thinking they are the game and their inconsistency. Very outspoken about that. Last night he took on the coaches and fans for their decorum. He was a part of that last year.

Now he says what a great job the officials do. Hypocrite!

BLT
03-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Any one hear Dakich go off on Teddy in the Illinois vs. Michigan State ESPN game? He was going on for a few minutes with some very strong words about Valentine...even saying Cronin should have punched him out.

http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/dan_dakich_rips_apart_ted_valentine_during_illinoi s_michigan_state_broadcast/15904946?linksrc=story_article_yb_original_head_15 904946

MUMac
03-02-2014, 09:31 AM
I wonder how much of that was his Indiana hatred of Valentine coming out?

MU/Panther
03-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Jay makes a good point that NBA coaches don't go crazy like college coaches.

BLT
03-02-2014, 09:55 AM
I wonder how much of that was his Indiana hatred of Valentine coming out?

Dakich was over the top. He shouldn't really be advocating it would be okay to punch out an official, no less saying that on national tv. He went on for a good part of five minutes in a totally unrelated game. But, he gave other specifics like Valentine taunting players during the B1G Tournament.

Nukem2
03-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Nukem, I am not sure exactly what you mean by being an advocate for the elite schools.Have you ever read what he writes at ESPN.com ?

TheSultan
03-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Have you ever read what he writes at ESPN.com ?

No I do not.

IWB
03-02-2014, 05:02 PM
Jay makes a good point that NBA coaches don't go crazy like college coaches.

There is a reason for that. The NBA is a long season where any particular game does not matter. In college ball, every single possession can be critical.

CaribouJim
03-02-2014, 05:11 PM
There is a reason for that. The NBA is a long season where any particular game does not matter. In college ball, every single possession can be critical.

...and IMO the refs are better in the NBA. I'll await the NBA stereotype replies.