Fox Sports 1: Gus Johnson, Jim Spanarkel

Sunday

DePaul @ St. John's, 11:00
CBS Sports Network: Marv Albert, Steve Lappas

Marquette @ 8 Villanova, 1:00
CBS: Kevin Harlan, Greg Anthony

Goose85
03-01-2014, 12:12 PM
I would guess we want Creighton so we can have sole possession of third place.

MU/Panther
03-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Standing don't matter in terms of ncaa bids. MU needs that Xavier win to look bigger. It gets bigger win X beating CU.

IWB
03-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Standing don't matter in terms of ncaa bids. MU needs that Xavier win to look bigger. It gets bigger win X beating CU.

While the Xavier beating Creighton would make the Xavier win bigger, getting the #3 seed in the Big East Tourney would be great for MU's chances to advance in the Big East Tourney. If you are the 4 seed you play the 5 seed the Creighton. If you are the 3 seed you play the 6 seed the Villanova. Way better to get the 3 seed.

KMWTRUCKS
03-01-2014, 01:22 PM
With st John, prov, X, and MU all bubble teams I'm now routing for them all to lose. At this point it's only about getting into NCAA and if X or any of the others get big wins that moves us farther out. We have no big wins. I would like to get 5 big east teams in but I would prefer 3 and MU being the 3rd over 5 and no MU.

IWB
03-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Also, while the committee doesn't "look" at conference standings, when it comes down to it they will have several schools in the mix for the last few spots. They will have it laid out in front of them....

School X (20-11) (10-8)
Marquette (20-11) (12-6)
School Y (20-11) (9-7)
Xavier (21-10) (11-7)
Providence (20-11) 10-8)

Now, while they won't look at standings, doesn't it jump out that of three conference foes one of them has a better conference record?

MU/Panther
03-01-2014, 01:52 PM
With st John, prov, X, and MU all bubble teams I'm now routing for them all to lose. At this point it's only about getting into NCAA and if X or any of the others get big wins that moves us farther out. We have no big wins. I would like to get 5 big east teams in but I would prefer 3 and MU being the 3rd over 5 and no MU.
X winning makes the win for MU look better. The Big East bubble schools are not fighting each other. They are fighting all bubble schools in every league.
Baylor, Richmond, Oregon, Arkansas, Tennessee, Nebraska, Minnesota, BYU, Dayton, LSU, Oklahoma State, etc you want to lose for Marquette.

MU/Panther
03-01-2014, 01:55 PM
Also, while the committee doesn't "look" at conference standings, when it comes down to it they will have several schools in the mix for the last few spots. They will have it laid out in front of them....

School X (20-11) (10-8)
Marquette (20-11) (12-6)
School Y (20-11) (9-7)
Xavier (21-10) (11-7)
Providence (20-11) 10-8)

Now, while they won't look at standings, doesn't it jump out that of three conference foes one of them has a better conference record?
It will jump out in league that play round robins, like Big East and Big 12.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-01-2014, 01:56 PM
If X collapses and misses the tournament then MU loses a quality win... At this point losing a quality win could be our last straw...

MU/Panther
03-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Xavier up by 10, 14 minutes left. Standing room crowd.

TedBaxter
03-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Isn' t there a big game today in Philadelphia?

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-02-2014, 09:37 AM
This has not been a good weekend for teams trying to sneak into the tournament. Seemed almost every bubble team won yesterday. With K-State, OK State, Oklahoma, Dayton, Tennessee, Baylor, Missouri, Arkansas, Xavier, St. Joe's, Oregon, and Nebraska all winning, that's a lot of bubbles staying intact. Today's game became a bit more important.

Minnesota, Richmond, Colorado, and Cal were about the only results that went the right way for us.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-02-2014, 10:30 AM
I agree Brew, yesterday was not good for Marquette, add to it that not only did most teams win, some got some good wins... I'm beginning to think Marquette doesn't control their one destiny as much as I thought. We could win a bunch more but the teams in front of us have a few quality wins already so if they win four straight to finish too we may be out still. I may change my opinion to today being a must win.

warriorfan4life
03-02-2014, 10:59 AM
If we win our next three, we are in the NCAA's. No chance that 20 wins, and 12 in the Big East, will be left out of the field.

MU/Panther
03-02-2014, 12:02 PM
Marquette doesn't need to worry about other bubble teams, if they just win!

BLT
03-02-2014, 12:13 PM
You have wonder wonder why FS1 sold these games to CBS? There is a show on auto auctions, NASCAR highlights for an hour, and a women's B12 game on FS1 instead of SJU v. DePaul and MU v. Nova. I can see if it was a live NASCAR race, but an auto auction can draw better than DePaul?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Marquette doesn't need to worry about other bubble teams, if they just win!

Not sure that's entirely true... Odds of the four teams currently in winning their remaining games and running their conference tournament are as good or maybe better than Marquette's odds of running the table... If that occurs we would still be on the outside looking in... Now that's not likely but even if we were to win today we still aren't in because there is a considerable gap we need to close to make it. I guess when I compare resumes with the Oregon, Minnesota, etc types we are clearly behind them...it's not impossible but we do need other teams to stumble... If nobody stumbles like yesterday we could end up on the outside even with 20 wins. That is just my opinion though, who knows how reality plays out.

MU/Panther
03-02-2014, 12:47 PM
You have wonder wonder why FS1 sold these games to CBS? There is a show on auto auctions, NASCAR highlights for an hour, and a women's B12 game on FS1 instead of SJU v. DePaul and MU v. Nova. I can see if it was a live NASCAR race, but an auto auction can draw better than DePaul?
Simple, money! It's part of the deal with CBSSN/CBS.