PDA

View Full Version : Ot: Uwgb

BLT
02-24-2014, 03:00 PM
So with two games to go and garnering some poll votes, UWGB needs one win to clinch. If they also win their conference tournament do they get put in Milwaukee like Murray State in Louisville? Will the Badger fans cheer them on like UK? The BC would be hopping...

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-24-2014, 03:03 PM
I don't think so. Murray State was a 6 seed that year. I think the committee had less issue putting them in a home environment because they were at least favored in their first game against an 11. Green Bay will probably be in that 12-13 seed range. Hard to imagine them giving a home crowd potentially for two games.

MU/Panther
02-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Green Bay has already clinch the regular season Horizon League title and an NIT birth, if they fail to make the NCAA Tourney.

TheSultan
02-24-2014, 03:05 PM
I don't think so. Murray State was a 6 seed that year. I think the committee had less issue putting them in a home environment because they were at least favored in their first game against an 11. Green Bay will probably be in that 12-13 seed range. Hard to imagine them giving a home crowd potentially for two games.

Not to mention that UWGB wouldn't be much of a draw anyway.

MU/Panther
02-24-2014, 03:09 PM
It now Green Bay, not UWGB.:cool:

BLT
02-24-2014, 03:11 PM
Butler was a 8 seed in 2011 with nine losses.

02-24-2014, 03:20 PM
Butler was a 8 seed in 2011 coming off a National Championship Game appearance with nine losses.

FIFY

And without that, Green Bay just doesn't match up to Butler. Yes, they played Wisconsin and Virginia (beat the Cavs), but that Butler team played Louisville, Duke, Xavier, Stanford, Washington State, and Florida State. Can't really compare the two. Green Bay might get up to an 11, but I have a hard time believing they'll get any higher than that. They just don't have a good enough resume. If they lose in the Horizon tournament, they are most likely not getting in.

Goose85
02-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Milwaukee is usually one of the venues where there is not usually difficulty selling NCAA tourney tickets.

BLT
02-24-2014, 03:54 PM
Agree they have to win out, but Butler lost Hayward to the draft and underachieved in conference (swept by Milwaukee) till late where they had to win the league tournament (so previous year's NCAA performance is a seed consideration?) UVA will be a high seed if they win the ACC, and many of the conferences like CUSA, WCC etc. are considerably weaker. Heck, some of the major conferences are weaker. I cannot see an 8 seed, but 12 is too high (low) if they win out.

TulsaWarrior
02-24-2014, 03:56 PM
They did pretty well in the Great Alaska Shootout, played a solid game against Wisconsin and beat the top team in the ACC. Weak resume? I think the Nix are second in the country in slam dunks and have two players with a solid shot at the NBA -- Kiefer Sykes and Alec Brown. I hate to say this because these are my two favorite college teams but Green Bay even with a loss in their conference tournament has a better shot right now to make the NCAA Tournament than Marquette. Watch out for Pho Slamma Jamma.

MUMac
02-24-2014, 04:01 PM
FIFY

And without that, Green Bay just doesn't match up to Butler. Yes, they played Wisconsin and Virginia (beat the Cavs), but that Butler team played Louisville, Duke, Xavier, Stanford, Washington State, and Florida State. Can't really compare the two. Green Bay might get up to an 11, but I have a hard time believing they'll get any higher than that. They just don't have a good enough resume. If they lose in the Horizon tournament, they are most likely not getting in.

I agree with what you post, but If I were a 5 or 6 playing Green Bay the first game, I would be pissed. They have a nice makeup to be one of the Cinderella's this year.

Gato78
02-24-2014, 05:24 PM
Green Bay is one of the most unappreciated teams in the country. Virginia is about to win the ACC regular season and GB beat them. They almost beat Bucky. They have two studs and some very nice role players. They may well get an at large bid but I expect they will win the Horizon Tourney. Mark my words---the "experts" will have a UWGB woody if they get in. One of those dark horse types the experts like to tout to show their superior basketball knowledge. But GB is damn good.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-24-2014, 05:30 PM
So what is the national perception/word on how quality of a coach Wardle is? Is he ready for a high major or trending that way? Is he a guy who would want to someday coach his alma mater?

TulsaWarrior
02-24-2014, 06:02 PM
https://twitter.com/gbphoenixmbb/status/438072174167867392/photo/1

I don't think Wardle would leave GB now but I have been wrong before and forced to eat my keyboard. If he was to leave look for former Marquette guard Brian Barone or former Golden Eagle Jon Harris to get the Nix job. (Harris applied last time)

MU/Panther
02-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Wardle would leave in a heartbeat. GB is a low paying job. I think he get under 200,000.

TulsaWarrior
02-24-2014, 06:23 PM
There's more than money involved in the situation. You are right about the $ figure.

TheSultan
02-24-2014, 07:16 PM
https://twitter.com/gbphoenixmbb/status/438072174167867392/photo/1

I don't think Wardle would leave GB now but I have been wrong before and forced to eat my keyboard. If he was to leave look for former Marquette guard Brian Barone or former Golden Eagle Jon Harris to get the Nix job. (Harris applied last time)

My guess is that he would be in line for an A10 or MVC type job.

02-24-2014, 07:25 PM
Agree they have to win out, but Butler lost Hayward to the draft and underachieved in conference (swept by Milwaukee) till late where they had to win the league tournament (so previous year's NCAA performance is a seed consideration?) UVA will be a high seed if they win the ACC, and many of the conferences like CUSA, WCC etc. are considerably weaker. Heck, some of the major conferences are weaker. I cannot see an 8 seed, but 12 is too high (low) if they win out.

Previous year's performance shouldn't be a seed consideration, but I have no doubt in that case it was. Butler was largely seen as a bubble team that probably wasn't going to make the tournament going into that final at Milwaukee. Instead they won both games and snuck in, then got incredibly overseeded. RPI of 50, SOS of 81, zero top-25 wins, half their top-100 wins were against Cleveland State. It was the profile of a 12-seed, not an 8.

I'm not trying to knock Green Bay, but their RPI is 57, their SOS is 149, and 18 of their 22 wins are against sub-100 teams. If they get a 12 they should be glad. Honestly, I could see them a line or two lower if not for the general weakening of the field. The Virginia win is the only thing that has them as high as 12 in current mock brackets.

If MU goes 3-1 and wins one at MSG, we will have twice as many top-100 wins as the Phoenix while having half the bad losses. They're a good mid-major. I agree. They might beat us this year. But in terms of resume, we're pretty darn close. If MU goes 4-2 the rest of the way, their resume will be better than Green Bay's even if UWGB wins out.

Gato78
02-24-2014, 08:16 PM
I think Wardle is perfectly suited for DePaul. Young, energetic and good recruiting ties in Chicago. From the Chicago burbs. Knows the media scene. His personality and resume are exactly what DePaul needs.

TulsaWarrior
02-24-2014, 08:43 PM
Here's a nice feature on the Nix 7 footer. http://www.wearegreenbay.com/1fulltext-sports/d/story/phoenix-pheature-alec-brown-will-go-down-as-one-of/15938/jszDNcOhXkG1TMurZgpRDw

TulsaWarrior
02-25-2014, 09:36 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24456896/the-rise-and-tall-of-the-phoenix-green-bays-unexpected-regeneration