PDA

View Full Version : MU Scoop

Hamostradamus
02-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Wow, you'd think we lost. They are really unhinged. I am convinced Badgermaniac and HaywardsHeroes are the same guy, equal amount of MU hate.

ChitownAl
02-22-2014, 05:51 PM
Self-entitled lunatic fringe. Fans got a Win. They weren't guaranteed a work of art. MU got a Victory and lives to fight another day. That is all that counts at the end of business today. Way too many fans seeing the glass as half-filled. I am very disappointed in the attitudes of too many of the MU fan base. There is a lot of ball to be played yet.

kneelb4zerg
02-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Self-entitled lunatic fringe. Fans got a Win. They weren't guaranteed a work of art. MU got a Victory and lives to fight another day. That is all that counts at the end of business today. Way too many fans seeing the glass as half-filled. I am very disappointed in the attitudes of too many of the MU fan base. There is a lot of ball to be played yet.

Aren't guaranteed a win a period. As disappointing as the team has been on the floor, it's been more discouraging regarding how our fans have reacted to it. At least our team and buzz are still fighting.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-22-2014, 06:16 PM
I'd guess I'm probably one of the top-20 or so most frequent posters there, and I've given up. Not sure anyone championed them on other sites harder than I did. The inmates have taken over the asylum. I'm just glad I have this place.

IWB
02-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Not sure anyone championed them on other sites harder than I did.

Hopefully you aren't done in the champion business, just need to champion a different site. ;)

TedBaxter
02-22-2014, 07:41 PM
The Marquette message board fans have been spoiled with 8 or whatever NCAA appearances in a row and with MU on the NCAA ledge, some can't take it. Creighton and DePaul were 26-52 from the three point range and MU came out with 1 win, so I'll take the victory. I'm not immune from immaturity, but some of these people are really ridiculous.

MU/Panther
02-22-2014, 08:09 PM
That site seems to be based more on the youth of the I live in my mother basement fans.

MUFLA
02-22-2014, 09:28 PM
many badger trolls there I suspect

pbiflyer
02-22-2014, 09:45 PM
Wow, it's nuts even by scoop standards.

02-23-2014, 07:51 AM
Hopefully you aren't done in the champion business, just need to champion a different site. ;)

LOL This site rarely needs a champion to stand up for it, but I've recommended it to quite a few people ;)

Tmreddevil
02-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Hopefully not to the inmates though.

02-23-2014, 10:30 AM
A few select ones, but I definitely don't advertise this site to all the masses, which I've explained to Jim. This is our little sanctuary away from the mass of nutjobs that pervade Scoop and Scout. While I wish IWB all the success in the world, I don't want it to come at the expense of, for example, Ners pollution.

DowntownSweeney
02-23-2014, 10:46 AM
Muscoop is populated by badger trolls. Waste of time.

MUFLA
02-23-2014, 07:23 PM
I'm sure Ners and the rest are aware of the site. They probably prefer to stay on the island of misfit toys (and badgers trolls).

TedBaxter
02-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Muscoop is populated by badger trolls. Waste of time.

Are you sure it's not a bunch of Marquette numbnuts? I know the administrators have MU backgrounds and we know how they have or haven't handled things. It's an embarrassment to me as a Marquette fan.

TheSultan
02-23-2014, 09:11 PM
I don't think there are many Badger trolls on Scoop....if any.

jesmu84
02-23-2014, 09:15 PM
So, my first post, but I didn't even know this forum existed. I've been over at Scoop for a while. Just a quick gander at the threads/posts here make it seem like a much more level-headed, less crazy board. So glad I found it.

As for Scoop.. it seems weird this season. 10-15 new posters have come out of the woodwork and posted like crazy. They're either badger trolls, new/young MU fans who don't have any perspective or close to those players they keep advocating (the freshmen).

TheSultan
02-23-2014, 09:27 PM
So, my first post, but I didn't even know this forum existed. I've been over at Scoop for a while. Just a quick gander at the threads/posts here make it seem like a much more level-headed, less crazy board. So glad I found it.

As for Scoop.. it seems weird this season. 10-15 new posters have come out of the woodwork and posted like crazy. They're either badger trolls, new/young MU fans who don't have any perspective or close to those players they keep advocating (the freshmen).

The premium board is well worth the cost BTW....and welcome.

mu_hilltopper
02-24-2014, 08:45 AM
Hmmm .. filing this under, no publicity is bad publicity ... ;)

2013UnleashTheBeast
02-24-2014, 09:25 AM
A few select ones, but I definitely don't advertise this site to all the masses, which I've explained to Jim. This is our little sanctuary away from the mass of nutjobs that pervade Scoop and Scout. While I wish IWB all the success in the world, I don't want it to come at the expense of, for example, Ners pollution.

The big difference: IWB will actually moderate I suspect. I hope this board grows, and as it does, the insanity will be weeded out by active moderation (as it should be). No reason not to recommend to all.

IWB
02-24-2014, 09:46 AM
Thanks for joining and welcome aboard! (Also thanks for the subscription comment Sultan).

Yes, I will moderate if the need arises. In the 3 years since I started this site I have never had to ban a user and I think I have deleted three posts. Sure, discussions get heated from time to time, but I think the posters here are all pretty level headed, get the overall goal of the program and understand that we follow a team of college kids that are busting their tails every time they step onto the court.

MUfan12
02-24-2014, 11:07 AM
hmmm .. Filing this under, no publicity is bad publicity ... ;)

Badger troll!

02-24-2014, 02:16 PM
And as this goes on, a BrewCityBall thread goes on over on Scoop. Or at least one did for about 10 posts...then it went off-topic and devolved into a Dawson/Derrick thread with the same players banging the same drums. That place is nothing if not predictable. hilltopper, I love you as a poster, but I really wish you guys would moderate your site. Even if the racism, bashing of MU players and recruits, religious intolerance, and other things that have been complained about ad nauseum go unaddressed, at least keep threads on topic. If that means splitting threads, whatever. Moderating isn't just keeping the locals in order, it's keeping the site intelligible.

mu_hilltopper
02-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Brew .. we've chosen to run a forum that .. uses a light touch for moderation. That irks some people, like yourself, and that's understandable.

As for keeping threads on topic .. sure, we'd love to do that, but often a thread will turn into spaghetti, with message 12,14,19,24,30 off topic and needing to be split off. No way any of us mods can spend the time trimming threads to keep it tidy .. IWB may be able to do that here, but at Scoop with 300-1000 new posts a day, you'd need a full time staffer to take care of that.

After 8 years now .. it is what it is. It's imperfect, and isn't going to be everyone's favorite. The community is fortunate to have two other forums people can find more suited to their desires.

kneelb4zerg
02-24-2014, 04:02 PM
Brew .. we've chosen to run a forum that .. uses a light touch for moderation. That irks some people, like yourself, and that's understandable.

As for keeping threads on topic .. sure, we'd love to do that, but often a thread will turn into spaghetti, with message 12,14,19,24,30 off topic and needing to be split off. No way any of us mods can spend the time trimming threads to keep it tidy .. IWB may be able to do that here, but at Scoop with 300-1000 new posts a day, you'd need a full time staffer to take care of that.

After 8 years now .. it is what it is. It's imperfect, and isn't going to be everyone's favorite. The community is fortunate to have two other forums people can find more suited to their desires.

It is what it is because of your negligence/recklessness.

TheSultan
02-24-2014, 04:17 PM
It is what it is because of your negligence/recklessness.

I think that is a completely unfair statement. He reasonably came here and stated his philosophy about how they run the forum. You may not agree with it, but it is hardly negligent or reckless.

kneelb4zerg
02-24-2014, 04:20 PM
I think that is a completely unfair statement. He reasonably came here and stated his philosophy about how they run the forum. You may not agree with it, but it is hardly negligent or reckless.

Maybe the wrong terminology but...it is what it is? Seriously? That's lame. They are the moderators, he's trying to wash his hands of something he has control over.

TheSultan
02-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Maybe the wrong terminology but...it is what it is? Seriously? That's lame. They are the moderators, he's trying to wash his hands of something he has control over.

They have control over it. They are simply exercising their right to not exert it and let things flow. There is no universal and accepted manner to moderate a forum.

kneelb4zerg
02-24-2014, 04:24 PM
They have control over it. They are simply exercising their right to not exert it and let things flow. There is no universal and accepted manner to moderate a forum.

Yeah I know they have control over it. It is what it is bc they allow it to be so.

02-25-2014, 07:03 AM

Light touch of moderation is one thing. Religious bigotry on a daily basis is another. I sure hope MU isn't recruiting any Muslim kids whose families decide to look at your site. As far as keeping things on topic, you allowed it to become that way. If you split the threads that need it and enforce people stay on topic, people don't get off topic. And you can do it with 300-1000 posts per day. I've seen done it on a site with at least five times your traffic and none of the mods were paid staffers.

It is what it is, maybe the crazies in the MU community (of which there are quite a few, myself at times included) need a place like Scoop where it's the wild west and no one cares what anyone else does. And while I disagree that it's all negligence and recklessness, I do feel that allowing the posting racist pics and anti-Muslim pics is negligent because whether you like it or not, MUScoop is a direct reflection on Marquette as an institution and the Marquette community. For some people first looking at Marquette for the first time, that website may be what they see.

We all see through different glasses, I guess. But how you allow some of that...I just don't get it.

mufansince72
02-25-2014, 07:08 AM
Brew, they seem to have a thing for you over there!

02-25-2014, 07:12 AM
LOL I spent a lot of time there over the years. Probably why I have a tough time with what the board has been allowed to become, and also why they just can't quit me ;)

MUFLA
02-25-2014, 08:15 AM
Have not seen the Muslim business. All is right and well though if it was a New Yorker cartoon (and posted in a recruit thread)

02-25-2014, 08:34 AM
It's in every post of keefe's, his signature pic.

http://www.examiner.com/article/pork-eating-crusader-patch-is-insulting-to-most-muslims

And for someone who posts as much as he does, it's very prominent on the site, in just about every thread, usually numerous times.

Hamostradamus
02-25-2014, 10:30 AM
It's in every post of keefe's, his signature pic.

http://www.examiner.com/article/pork-eating-crusader-patch-is-insulting-to-most-muslims

And for someone who posts as much as he does, it's very prominent on the site, in just about every thread, usually numerous times.

I saw that a milion times, I didn't know what that referred to. Wow, that is really bad.

02-25-2014, 11:22 AM
And the mods are definitely aware of it as well as the meaning behind it.

MUFLA
02-25-2014, 12:42 PM
thanks. how long did they let him use the nazi avatar? that would have went well in that recruit thread.

MulliganMusings
02-25-2014, 01:16 PM
MUScoop is what it is. It's absurd for anyone to claim they are the moderator of the site because no moderation takes place. The crap that gets spewed, in turn, generates more crap. I would love to blame it on "Badger Trolls" but the sad truth is that every fan base has it classless lunatic fringe and that is where the Marquette lunatic fringe reside.

94Warrior
02-25-2014, 03:28 PM
I canceled my account on scoop last night. It has become embarrassing. I can't read that trash anymore.

pbiflyer
02-25-2014, 06:41 PM
Calling Buzz a moron shows their intelligence level.

TheSultan
02-25-2014, 06:49 PM
I saw that a milion times, I didn't know what that referred to. Wow, that is really bad.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=42202.msg575106#msg575106

MUFLA
02-25-2014, 07:44 PM
Winning hearts and minds.

02-26-2014, 07:06 AM
Typical keefe BS. What a shock that his response is the "I'm better than you because I served" card. I work with a lot of ex-military guys and rarely do we talk about their pasts. keefe can't go 2 posts without trying to lord it over people. Talk about insecure.

Gato78
02-26-2014, 08:27 AM
You might be surprised to know that Hamostradamus served in the military.

My late Father in Law was at the Battle of the Bulge, was awarded two Silver Stars, a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart and refused to talk about it until one of his grandsons wanted to do a paper on WWII. Always said he was just doing his job. Who do you respect more?

MUFLA
02-26-2014, 09:39 AM
You might be surprised to know that Hamostradamus served in the military.

My late Father in Law was at the Battle of the Bulge, was awarded two Silver Stars, a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart and refused to talk about it until one of his grandsons wanted to do a paper on WWII. Always said he was just doing his job. Who do you respect more?

Same story here. My grandfather fought in the same offensive. France has recently been presenting legion of honor awards to surviving decorated WW2 veterans. I attended the ceremony at the consulate last year. They read off his decorations before presenting the award, which lasted a few minutes. I had absolutely no idea.

02-26-2014, 10:07 AM
I have all the respect for military guys, and love those stories. My grandfather served in WWII and volunteered at the VA well into his 90s, sometimes caring for guys half his age. Never talked about his service, I always respected the hell out of that.

Last night I met some of the wife's work friends, after a few drinks the "worst thing I've seen" question was asked. I brushed it off and told a funny work story instead to change the subject. I don't feel what you do for a living should define who you are. I guess there are different schools of thought on that, though.

Hamostradamus
02-26-2014, 12:12 PM
I have all the respect for military guys, and love those stories. My grandfather served in WWII and volunteered at the VA well into his 90s, sometimes caring for guys half his age. Never talked about his service, I always respected the hell out of that.

Last night I met some of the wife's work friends, after a few drinks the "worst thing I've seen" question was asked. I brushed it off and told a funny work story instead to change the subject. I don't feel what you do for a living should define who you are. I guess there are different schools of thought on that, though.

+1000. 5-10% of military guys are really into it, love the Army-Navy game, volunteer for extra duty (morale and wellfare, fundraisers for Navy Relief, base car wash, etc.), and are happy to talk about their service to anyone who will listen. Most of my buddies and I viewed it as a job we held for a few years and then went on to other things.

03-04-2014, 11:30 PM
Scoop losing some well-respected members due to the meltdown and personal attacks on players tonight.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=42382.0

jesmu84
03-04-2014, 11:37 PM
Scoop losing some well-respected members due to the meltdown and personal attacks on players tonight.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=42382.0

i don't consider myself a "respected member", but i'm seriously considering giving it up. That place is a joke tonight (and has been for a while this season). Posters trashing players, coach, etc. Just terrible.

Hamostradamus
03-04-2014, 11:42 PM
The have some new posters that are way worse, and seem to take pride in how obnoxious they are. Someone asked the mods to do something - I am pretty sure it was supposed to be a joke.

goldenlegal22
03-04-2014, 11:46 PM
i don't consider myself a "respected member", but i'm seriously considering giving it up. That place is a joke tonight (and has been for a while this season). Posters trashing players, coach, etc. Just terrible.

Really just comes down to people getting spoiled with unheralded success and not understanding college basketball is cyclical like everything else in life and complaining that we don't have John Stockton at PG. Personal attacks on players who put their heart and body on the line for many months of the year is just a sad excuse for "expressing frustration with the team."

TheSultan
03-04-2014, 11:50 PM
I just gave myself a vacation until the season ends. Really reflects poorly on the fanbase.

03-04-2014, 11:51 PM

I do. Agree or disagree, you've always had my respect, jesu ;)

And yeah...it's ridiculous. Amazes me that so many of the people there are Marquette students or grads. There may be aspects of my Marquette education I don't use on a daily basis, but there is a basic humanity that the Jebbies taught that should be used every day.

KMWTRUCKS
03-04-2014, 11:56 PM
Buzz finally starting doing O and D subs late in the game. Why would you ever have your worst FT shooter inbound the ball? most people have there best and then pass it right back to them. bad game by buzz a few players almost bailed him out but it did not happen. traveling trying to run down the clock.

jesmu84
03-05-2014, 12:11 AM
I do. Agree or disagree, you've always had my respect, jesu ;)

And yeah...it's ridiculous. Amazes me that so many of the people there are Marquette students or grads. There may be aspects of my Marquette education I don't use on a daily basis, but there is a basic humanity that the Jebbies taught that should be used every day.

Thanks brew. Missed you over there lately. Hopefully we can continue with some good conversation over here.

jesmu84
03-05-2014, 04:42 PM
If anyone cares to answer, I have a couple questions.

1. Is it normal to cross-post? By that, I mean is it normal to look at one board and see a bunch of created threads and then see basically identically created threads on this board?

2. Is it against board rules to list who posts at the different boards and what their different usernames are? Be nice for a baseline understand of where everyone is coming from/viewpoints.

03-05-2014, 05:03 PM
1) There's no rule against it. If there's a topic you want to discuss, by all means bring it up. There will always be crossover because many of the posters are the same and we're all working from pretty much the same source material. Doesn't happen all the time, but cross-posting will always happen to some extent.

2) Most people use the same username. I believe Phantom goes by Silver Warrior on the Scout board, Goose used to be LittleBro, but for the most part you'll recognize some.