PDA

View Full Version : How Good is Creighton?

Goose85
02-21-2014, 01:18 PM
I have been very impressed with Creighton when I have had the opportunity to watch them.

Veteran leadership, a first team all america, play smart and can shoot as good or better than any team in the country.

I can easily see Creighton as an elite 8 team and with the right bracket, a shooters chance at a final four.

What teams would be a tough matchup for them in the tourney?
Number one seeds if the season ended today might be Syracuse / Wichita State / Florida / Arizona.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-21-2014, 02:14 PM
I have also been impressed by Creighton. What really impresses me are two things. First, they have such a wealth of three-point shooters, which means even if you can take one or two or three away, there's still someone there that will probably be dropping shots. Second, if you take away the three (as 'Nova did in the second go-around) they can still score inside the arc.

I think most people realize their offense is very good. But that really doesn't sum it up. Right now, Creighton is #1 in offensive efficiency according to Pomeroy with an average of 1.269 points per possession. That isn't just the best number this year, it's the best number in the history of Pomeroy's rankings. He has been tracking since 2003 and no team has every put up a better ppp stat than Creighton.

Part of that is likely due to the reduction in contact rules this year. While that may be interpreted as saying that Creighton's offense isn't quite as historically good as it looks, I think that'd be an incorrect interpretation. The rules changed this year, and they changed in such a way that teams that can score are going to be allowed to score at an even better rate. This team is the best three-point shooting team in the country, the sixth-best two-point shooting team in the country, and the fifteenth best free throw shooting team in the country. There is no aspect of shooting the basketball at which they do not excel at a very high level.

Of course, with any team, there's going to be a "but", and with Creighton, there's definitely a big one. Creighton's defensive ranking according to Pomeroy is #73. In the previous 11 years, there have been 44 Final Four teams. One thing those teams have had in common was good defense. 37 of the 44 teams had defenses ranked in the top-30 in the nation. 41 of the 44 teams had defenses ranked in the top 50. Only three teams have EVER advanced to the Final Four with a lower defensive ranking than Creighton's, and two of those were in 2003 (#80 Texas and #119 Marquette). So in the past decade, there has only been one Final Four team (2011 VCU, #84) to have a defense as bad as Creighton's.

Personally, I think their ceiling is the Elite Eight. Maybe with a perfect draw they could make it to Arlington, but the general tendency is that you're going to run into a really good defensive team before then. Against teams with top-30 defensive efficiency, Creighton is just 4-3. Losses to San Diego State (9), St. John's (21), and George Washington (26), and wins against Arizona State (17), St. John's (21), and Villanova (25, twice).

Creighton's good, but they are too one-dimensional to be counted on as a Final Four team. They can score, but they aren't very good at stopping people and if they do have an off-shooting night, they are atrocious on the offensive glass. A big, athletic team built around defense will be their Achilles' Heel. Potential second round opponents like VCU or Pitt could be really dangerous to the Jays. The nightmare scenario would be a first-round matchup with UC-Irvine. Personal opinion, that would have 15/2 upset written all over it.

02-21-2014, 02:32 PM
One other defensive note...while only 1 team with a sub-50 defense ranking has made the Final Four in the past 10 years, that VCU team was still one of the best teams in the country at creating turnovers. Their Havoc defense featured 5 guys that were exceptional at stealing the ball. In their 5 wins, they forced on average 13.8 turnovers per game. Maybe not a great defensive team, but they did have a great defensive concept.

Creighton has neither a great defensive team nor a great defensive concept. Their basic strategy is hoping the other guys miss and getting the rebound. That kind of mindset will usually catch up to a team come March.

All this said, I still will hope Creighton gives their d-bag fans something to cheer about and makes a nice deep run. I think a successful year would be good for the league. But if you are looking for a legitimate Final Four team from the Big East, you are better hitching your wagons to Villanova. They are built far better for March success than the Jays are, despite the individual game results between the two teams.

Nukem2
02-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Very good team, but susceptible to defeat in a one and done format given the very average defense and lack of size. Possible Sweet 16. ( Blue Jays were abad matchup for MU this year ).

MUfan12
02-21-2014, 03:25 PM
A lot of what plagued MU comes down to small guards and slow bigs.

In order to defend them effectively, the 2-4 spots have to be long and athletic, and the 5 has to be mobile. A team in the mold of SJU/SDSU will give them problems.

Coyote
02-23-2014, 08:17 PM
I still will hope Creighton gives their d-bag fans something to cheer about and makes a nice deep run.

Being one of Creighton's 'd-bad' fan, it will all depend on the draw, and how healthy the team stays. If they don't make it out of the first weekend it will be a very disappointing season, but with good match ups they could make it to Arlington. I'm just hoping for at least four other Big a East teams to join the dance.

dubs98
02-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Being one of Creighton's 'd-bad' fan, it will all depend on the draw, and how healthy the team stays. If they don't make it out of the first weekend it will be a very disappointing season, but with good match ups they could make it to Arlington. I'm just hoping for at least four other Big a East teams to join the dance.

LOL. welcome to the board. always good to hear from folks from the other teams. I have been incredibly impressed with Creighton this year as well. I really don't think they are completely one-dimensional, however I do think they could be one bad matchup away from getting knocked out. (I suppose that could be said regarding most of the teams.) With that said, if they shoot like they usually do, they are simply going to be a really, really tough out. Just too many shooters and too many really smart players who pass well and get everyone involved. Although the defense does not measure up statistically I still think that can be misleading to a degree. When a team is that proficient on offense, generally the other teams tend to play a quicker game to "keep up" with creightons scoring. I think this can lead to misconception of how their d plays out. Maybe I am wrong on this, but I was actually very impressed with their defense when we played them both times. They certainly will have difficulties against long teams and probably against teams with very talented players down low. I think Creighton could easily get in a position of having quick foul trouble against a big and athletic team and that may be their undoing. With that said, I will be rooting for a deep run from Creighton and Nova. I am starting to get a bit worried about how many other teams from the big east will be in the dance as many are starting to knock each other out. Xavier went from a definite to all of a sudden they are falling back a bit. Georgetown did itself no favors against seton hall. st. johns missed a big opportunity vs nova. Providence and definitely mu still have work to do in my opinion. Hopefully a couple of teams (mu included) can separate themselves near the end as opposed to trading wins.

Anyways, thanks for visiting the board coyote and welcome.

unclejohn
02-23-2014, 09:22 PM
Very good. Not great, but very good. Lots and lots of weapons. Well coached. Poised. They do not take themselves out of many games. So they are good enough to get hot, go on a run, and make the Final Four. Also flawed. D is an issue, size is an issue. As today showed, a lesser team can beat them. I expect a high seed and expect to see them the second weekend. But I would not bet the house on them.

Smitty
02-24-2014, 08:34 AM
One of the other things that Creighton does so well is move without the ball. A defense has a hard time keeping up with guys that are constantly moving to get open, taking advantage of the help defense or 2x team.

I watch a lot of lacrosse and Creighton makes it look like lax. Even when the action seems to be all happening on 1/4 of the court, the guys on the other quarter are moving, making skip passes very effective.

02-24-2014, 08:55 AM

Your fellow Jays fans didn't make a great impression on some of us at that last game. The general impression I got from our section was a very uppity fanbase that liked to yell obscenities, instigate the locals, antagonize security, and get police called in. And it wasn't even drunk kids, it was middle-aged guys.

Creighton's success in the tourney will definitely come down to match-ups. The last thing you guys want to see is a long, athletic team like St. John's or San Diego State. I think the biggest worry for the Jays is that as much as they can just dominate good teams like Villanova, Marquette, and Arizona State, they often have too much trouble with teams they should handle comfortably, like Butler, DePaul, and Seton Hall. I think an Elite Eight run is possible, but I think a first-round upset is just as (maybe even more) likely, depending on the match-up.

As far as getting to Arlington, I just think if a Big East team will do it, Villanova is far more likely. To make the Final Four, the odds are you will have to beat one of Florida, Arizona, Syracuse, or Wichita State. Creighton matches up decent with the Shockers, but I think any of the other likely #1 seeds would have too much length and athleticism to overcome.

Goose85
02-24-2014, 10:37 AM
I would like to see a Creighton v. Wisconsin game in the tourney. I think that would be a real interesting matchup.

TheSultan
02-24-2014, 10:39 AM
Your fellow Jays fans didn't make a great impression on some of us at that last game. The general impression I got from our section was a very uppity fanbase that liked to yell obscenities, instigate the locals, antagonize security, and get police called in. And it wasn't even drunk kids, it was middle-aged guys.

You may need to get to the point where you realize that this might have been just a small section of their fanbase and move on.

MUBasketball
02-24-2014, 10:40 AM
I would like to see a Creighton v. Wisconsin game in the tourney. I think that would be a real interesting matchup.

It's a different year, but they did play last year and Creighton won. Would be an interesting rematch for sure.

02-24-2014, 11:02 AM

I think that'd be a great matchup for the Jays. Bucky's style would play right into Creighton's hands. If CU got a bracket as a 3 that had Wisconsin and Wichita State, I would like their odds. As long as SDSU or Kentucky don't show up as a 4 or 5.

Coyote
02-24-2014, 03:46 PM
You may need to get to the point where you realize that this might have been just a small section of their fanbase and move on.

I apologize for whoever those so-called Creighton fan's behavior, it really does not represent our school's fan base, in fact, quite the opposite if you listen to Husker fans comments about the Jays. The image they paint of Jays fans are the staid wine drinking class, coming late, leaving early to get home for the Letterman show.

Anyway, I am pleased that we were invited into the BEast, particularly since it revives one of Creighton's oldest rivals, Marquette. My father graduated from Creighton Law back in the 50's so I grew up going to Creighton games, and graduating myself in the 80's I missed those old games. I still remember going to the CU/MU game which was actually played at Boystown in the early 70's, where (of course) the refs gave to Marquette... Graduating from Creighton Prep, I had many classmates that went to Marquette instead of a Creighton... And if you remember a Rev. Landon (who just announced his retirement as CU's President) we have shared many from the Jesuit community...

Goose85
02-24-2014, 03:55 PM
I did not realize Fr. Tim Lannon was retiring. Many hoped he would have become MU's president when Pilarz was hired.
Many in Milwaukee know Fr. Lannon from his MUHS days. His connections to MU are likely what got Creighton into the Big East.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140224/NEWS/140229282/1685

CaribouJim
02-24-2014, 04:05 PM
I can easily see them as an Elite 8 or FF team. Same goes for the rodents I'm afraid.

CaribouJim
02-24-2014, 04:07 PM
I did not realize Fr. Tim Lannon was retiring. Many hoped he would have become MU's president when Pilarz was hired.
Many in Milwaukee know Fr. Lannon from his MUHS days. His connections to MU are likely what got Creighton into the Big East.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140224/NEWS/140229282/1685

He was at the game last week schmoozing wasn't he?

Gato78
02-24-2014, 04:31 PM
We share our Jesuits and many of my high school teachers went to Creighton Prep and Creighton U so I have a certain fondness. Their fans weren't the greatest at the Bradley Center and their team seems a little cocky. I will always be for them against all but a select few teams. Tim Lannon is a class act.

Coyote
02-24-2014, 04:35 PM
I would agree that Grant Gibbs is pretty cocky and he can get under the skin of other players, and Devin Brooks is from Harlem (need I say more), but I wouldn't say they were any cockier than any other team.

warriorfan4life
02-24-2014, 05:27 PM
I can easily see them as an Elite 8 or FF team. Same goes for the rodents I'm afraid.

I think the difference is that Creighton is diverse enough offensively to win if threes are not falling at their normal clip. Wisconsin will live and die by the three.

Gato78
02-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Creighton cannot defend at the rim. Their Achilles heel. Average shooting against an attacking team and they are toast.

Gato78
02-24-2014, 05:39 PM
I am fine with Devin Brooks. At Marquette, we love guys from Harlem. We have plenty of stars from the Rucker in our history.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-24-2014, 06:00 PM
I can understand Coyote's point... Many opposing fans can't stand Davante and think he is cocky and a bit too dramatic... I think when viewing other teams (especially those that you lose to) you have to step away from our blue and gold glasses to really objectively judge them... I was on creightons board and a lot of them were bashing Buzz for his "blow by" handshake at the end of the game too...