5) Worthen
6) James
7) Boylan
8) Hutchins
9) Miller
10) Cadougan

TheSultan
02-20-2014, 05:00 PM
Miller should be up higher on this list. I didn't see enough of Walton or Worthen, but I would put Tony Miller above James and Hutchins.

Markedman
02-20-2014, 05:10 PM
Was Rivers really a point guard? Always thought of him as more of a 2....

Yeah Miller is too low.....

I think I might put Cordell Henry ahead of Junior

Tony Smith played point his last year and could also be included

MU88
02-20-2014, 05:12 PM
Rivers wasn't a point. He and Wilson were both combo guards. Walton was really good overall. Lightening quick. Good medium range shooter. Good defender. Miller and Worthen were the best passers. Since Pop Sims single-handedly cost us the game against North Carolina, I guess I would put Cadougan above him. I would rank them Dean, Walton, Worthen, James, Diener, Miller, Hutch and then the rest. Although, it really depends on the criteria you are using to evaluate them. How do compare a guy like Diener who was a horrible defender, a good passer, a great shooter and a great competitor versus a guy like Miller, who was a horrible shooter, but a great passer and an outstanding defender? Worthen couldn't shoot a jumper, but he could make the kind of special passes that would be plays of the day on ESPN. He was so long and the ball was like a yo-yo in his hand. Hutch was small and he wasn't a special passer, but he could take over a game offensively probably like no other point in MU history, but for Meminger. Underrated defender too.

Gato78
02-20-2014, 05:38 PM
1) Meminger
2) Diener
3) Miller
4) Worthen
5) Walton
6) James
7) Hutchins
8) Marcus Washington
9) Cadougan

CaribouJim
02-20-2014, 06:23 PM
Was Rivers really a point guard? Always thought of him as more of a 2....

Yeah Miller is too low.....

I think I might put Cordell Henry ahead of Junior

Tony Smith played point his last year and could also be included

Rivers did play some point at times - 16 assists against DePaul and Terry Cummings in a close loss to then #2 Blue Demons. Dwayne Johnson was on the receiving end of many of those - one of the single best games from the point for MU I've ever seen. He should have played point from day one IMO. Had that great first step to get into the paint and dish or take to the basket.

CaribouJim
02-20-2014, 06:30 PM
1) Meminger
2) Diener
3) Miller
4) Worthen
5) Walton
6) James
7) Hutchins
8) Marcus Washington
9) Cadougan

I could live with this, but I'd switch Sam and Tony. As far as defense from the point the pool from the guys you have ranked would consist of The Dream, Miller, Walton, James and IIRC Marcus Washington? Not sure how you would rank them - maybe DJ #1

Speaking of DJ, I miss plays designed for alley-oops...too far and few between.

MUMac
02-20-2014, 06:50 PM
I could live with this, but I'd switch Sam and Tony. As far as defense from the point the pool from the guys you have ranked would consist of The Dream, Miller, Walton, James and IIRC Marcus Washington? Not sure how you would rank them - maybe DJ #1

Speaking of DJ, I miss plays designed for alley-oops...too far and few between.

It looked like Burton was expecting one a couple of times last night.

I like Gato's list. What this thread shows, though, is how many good PG's came through MU. That said, Boylan needs to at least be in the discussion. Michael Wilson also played some PG (he was more of a combo guard). Very good defensive player, who averaged in double figures with solid assist numbers.

CaribouJim
02-20-2014, 07:04 PM

I like Gato's list. What this thread shows, though, is how many good PG's came through MU. That said, Boylan needs to at least be in the discussion. Michael Wilson also played some PG (he was more of a combo guard). Very good defensive player, who averaged in double figures with solid assist numbers.

Speaking of Michael Wilson, I often point to him and DePaul's Tyrone Corbin as guys who started out their college careers as the ultimate bricklayers and by the time they graduated more than serviceable jump shooters - at least mid-range jump shooters and both ended up in the NBA with Corbin playing the longest.

Markedman
02-20-2014, 07:05 PM
Maybe we can see some next year with Burton or Duane........better outside shooting opens up lots of possibilities....have to improve in that area.............

Gato78
02-20-2014, 09:07 PM
I left Boylan off because he wasn't a true point. Truth is, when pressure was on, Butch handled the ball.

WarriorOMalley82
02-21-2014, 01:16 PM
If you are talking about their careers at MU I can live with both Diener and Miller ahead of Sam, but if you are talking about their talent as point guards Sam was better than both just a shorter career because he was a juco. Sam was beyond great as a point guard, when he was on the Bulls Jerry Sloan was the coach, he had dinner with my roommate and Sloan told him Sam was the most talented point guard in the NBA, but he wasn't working hard enough. Said he had never seen so much talent. Btw last year Sam was coaching the international team of the Washington Generals (the team that the Harlem Globetrotters beat lol)

Goose85
02-21-2014, 01:41 PM
I have Dean The Dream as head and shoulders above the others most have listed.

After Dean, I think there is a group of guys - Sam "The Sham" Worthen, "Lucky" Lloyd Walton, Tony Miller, Travis Diener, and Dominic James that if you looked at them one on one instead of as a group of five, I can see arguments for any of them being #2 through #6.

I'd probably go Diener, Worthen, Walton, Miller, James, with another big drop after that.

Worthen might have had the most talent. Diener might have gotten the most out of his talent. Miller all time assists and high up on NCAA charts, played great D. Walton was a great point on some of MU's best ever teams. Dominic was a great defender with crazy fun to watch hops.

If you could pick any of this group of five (Worthen, Walton, Miller, Diener, James) to run the point for MU over the next couple years, who would it be?

TedBaxter
02-21-2014, 03:16 PM
I would go with Worthen out of your group because he had the size to score and rebound in addition to running the team and I think he may have been the smartest player, basketball wise, than any point guard in MU history and the team will be inexperienced next year. The guy could play.

Markedman
02-21-2014, 03:56 PM
I think I'd take Diener. Next years team could use his leadership and jump shot.....

Nukem2
02-21-2014, 04:09 PM
I think I'd take Diener. Next years team could use his leadership and jump shot.....
I would agree on Diener.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-21-2014, 04:50 PM
If you could pick any of this group of five (Worthen, Walton, Miller, Diener, James) to run the point for MU over the next couple years, who would it be?

I can't say I saw enough of Worthen or Walton, but of the guys I am familiar with, I'd go with Diener. In addition to being a good shooter and leader, Travis was just tough as nails, something I think this team needs. I think he'd have fit in perfectly with Buzz's system. I would love to see what Buzz could do with a kid like Travis.