PDA

View Full Version : Biggest home game since...?

bleedbluegold03
02-19-2014, 09:08 AM
I am trying to think back to a home game that had more riding on it than tonight? Against the top dog in conference it's win, and we're in the discussion for NCAA, lose and it's statistically over.

Off the top of my head, I am having a hard time thinking of one.

Nukem2
02-19-2014, 09:19 AM
I am trying to think back to a home game that had more riding on it than tonight? Against the top dog in conference it's win, and we're in the discussion for NCAA, lose and it's statistically over.

Off the top of my head, I am having a hard time thinking of one.A loss tonight will not statistically make it over for MU. Could potentially still go 12-6 in BE play. More so, this game is a great challenge and opportunity for MU to help bring itself relevant this season. Lets go Warriors.

Nukem2
02-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Will be interesting to see how MU defends tonight. Playing its usual help D clogging the lane to prevent penetration will lead to a lot of open 3s for Creighton. We shall see.

MUfan12
02-19-2014, 09:36 AM

Off the top of my head, I am having a hard time thinking of one.

I think the Syracuse game last year was pretty big. Had they lost that game, they don't win the conference.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Biggest home conference games in Buzz's tenure by year, in my opinion:

Connecticut, 2009: We were in the mix for the Big East title and ranked 8th in the country hosting the 2nd ranked Huskies. Win and we would have legitimized our claim as a 1-seed as we moved into the toughest part of the schedule, a 3-game stretch against top-10 opponents. Instead, Dominic James got injured and despite having a lead with about 6:30 to play, we fell apart at the end. That game was immense, but went the wrong way.

Louisville, 2010: Later in the season than this one, that also really felt like a "win-and-in" scenario. We had won 8 of our last 9, including 3 in a row on the road in overtime, but still felt like we were on the bubble. That featured Buzz walking it out after the DJO dunk. I really think that one felt a lot like this one, even though we ended up overseeded as a 6 that year.

Cincinnati, 2011: After the team looked like they just didn't have any will to play in a home loss to St. John's, we reeled off 3 in a row and were in position to pretty much lock up a bid by beating Cincy. Instead, Cashmere Wright put on a clinic and despite a huge senior night from Jimmy, the rest of the team simply couldn't score. Lost this one and the season finale at Seton Hall, but by some miracle did just enough at MSG to get into the Dance as an 11-seed.

2012: None really felt that big. The Vandy game was national television, and ugly, but didn't have a heavyweight feel because Vandy looked so poor coming into that one (though not going out). After the 1-2 start in Big East play, we won 7 in a row and 13 of 15, so dancing was never in doubt. And we played UW on the road.

Syracuse, 2013: We had stumbled in the title chase at 'Nova, and if we were going to have any hope, we had to beat Syracuse at home. The crowd was electric from the word go, Jake hit that huge three, the BC was on fire that night and you could feel it even before the opening tip. That was also a weekday game. I hope we have a similar feel to the game tonight.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Tonight is big, but the rest of the games will be big and this game will only be important if we win and go 4-1 after it... If we win tonight and stumble to a 2-3 finish it won't matter

bleedbluegold03
02-19-2014, 11:15 AM
you must have a signature win on a resume. Tonight presents the only realistic shot of having one this season (@Nova withstanding). Outside of that, our biggest wins are #37 and #49. to compensate for not having any top 25 victories, we need to capture a top 10 rpi victory.

If you think 5-6 RIP #40-70 wins with 0 top 25 will be enough, then I strongly disagree with you.

ge1974
02-19-2014, 11:35 AM
Last Saturday's game against Xavier. Both time and opportunity are running out. I hope we are the aggressor and play with a swagger tonight. Its our house! Just win, baby!

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-19-2014, 03:57 PM
you must have a signature win on a resume. Tonight presents the only realistic shot of having one this season (@Nova withstanding). Outside of that, our biggest wins are #37 and #49. to compensate for not having any top 25 victories, we need to capture a top 10 rpi victory.

If you think 5-6 RIP #40-70 wins with 0 top 25 will be enough, then I strongly disagree with you.

If you think 5-6 top-100 wins with 0 top-25 won't be enough, clearly you don't understand just how soft the bubble is this year. Before last night, Richmond was projected as IN the tournament field with 1 top-50 win (zero top-25) and just 4 top-100 wins. St. Joe's is similar, though they have one barely top-25 (#23 VCU), but otherwise just 4 top-100 wins. 5-6 top-100 wins may not be a guarantee, but with no terribly bad losses, it would probably be enough.

Tonight is big, but it's not make or break. If we beat everyone but Creighton and 'Nova, most likely 1 win at MSG will get us an at-large bid. It's not because our resume would be that good, but because the size of the field means you really don't have to be to get in. The difference of 64 and 68 may not seem like much, but it's immense.