PDA

View Full Version : Statements from Buzz and Larry

AlexJesswein
03-27-2012, 06:40 PM
A growing number of speculative news reports concerning the future of Marquette men’s basketball coach Buzz Williams has led to the following statements from Williams and Director of Athletics Larry Williams:

“I want to thank all of our fans, alumni, students and administration who provided incredible support throughout our second consecutive Sweet 16 run,” head coach Buzz Williams said. “We are already looking forward to next season with a core group of returning players, while welcoming new recruits into the Marquette family. I am excited to build on our past success and we will continue to work to be the absolute best we can be. The future remains bright for our program, and our institution."

Williams recently completed his fourth season at Marquette and led the program to its second-straight Sweet 16 appearance. The Van Alstyne, Texas, native is 96-45 in four years (46-26 BIG EAST) and MU has advanced to the NCAA Championship in each of those campaigns. The Golden Eagles were 27-8 overall in 2011-12 and 14-4 in the BIG EAST Conference, helping the squad to its best-ever finish since joining the league in 2005-06.

“Coach Williams is a good man, great coach and I look forward to working with him in the coming years” Director of Athletics Larry Williams said. “As we move forward, we want to make sure we stay focused on the rich history and core values that underpin this very unique program – among the elite in the nation – by continuing to emphasize our mission of remarkable success on the court and the classroom.”

Buzz Williams and Larry Williams will have no further comments relating to this matter.

Hamostradamus
03-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Not exactly warm and fuzzy (and I could spend all night parsing LW's comment), but I'll take it.

MUMac
03-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Glad that is over ... it is, right?

Djgoldnboy
03-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Till next year! Lol.

ge1974
03-27-2012, 07:51 PM
I suggest those so inclined, to send an email to Buzz (another, if necessary) thanking him again for his efforts and sacrifices and that we are pleased, as punch he's staying!

ge1974
03-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Just sent my second email to Buzz this week, thanking him for staying and telling him how lucky we are to have him at MU. All Hail Buzz!

Goose85
03-28-2012, 08:22 AM
I received an email reply from Buzz. Of course it is a canned message, but still appreciated.

tower912
03-28-2012, 07:34 PM
"core values that underpin this unique program". With the reminiscing about the 35th anniversary of the National Championship and the Al anecdotes, that phrase is interesting. What are the core values of the MU basketball program? Because Al certainly had players and a style that would not stand up to modern social media and message boards. Is it Jesuit underpinnings with just a hint of idiosyncracy? We've certainly not had cookie cutter coaches since Al was hired. Probably the two closest were Hank and Dukiet. KO and Crean were different sides of the same coin; fanatically hard workers and hard men to work for. Deane didn't believe in miracles.
What is it about Buzz that makes so many think he is (A) the heir to Al (B) different from the norm? Being a numbers savant? Open discussions about God? Tying into that, why do MU fans think they are different from Providence, SJU, DePaul, X......other Catholic, basketball-only universities?
An interesting choice of words. I figured I would make my first post here on the adult board a philosophical dissertation. Hello, boys. :p