PDA

View Full Version : Crowd for Creighton Game

Goose85
02-18-2014, 03:56 PM
Saturday there were over 18,000 in the house for Xavier.

This is a weekday, which makes it tougher, but hopefully the students show up in big numbers and there is a good crowd for the game.
Anyone with ideas what the expected attendance will be?

IWB
02-18-2014, 04:14 PM
You know I will always find a way to complain, right? Well, what was up with the crowd on Saturday? Yes, they were loud, they were crazy, they were intensely into the game - which was awesome. But when MU sealed it with about 1:10 left - people were heading to the exits in large numbers, especially those in the lower bowl where they leave through the Courtside Club. The writer next to me, who is a not an MU guy, said,

"What is with that? They are going to win - don't you pay for the tickets to see a win? It's not like they're losing, and it's not like it was a 9:00 pm tip off, I have never seen a crowd empty like this before a victory is over."

Again, that wasn't an MU guy, but for the players at court level to see all of the people just bolting out of there? It was weird.

CaribouJim
02-18-2014, 04:20 PM
It's like Mass - you don't leave till the bitter end - no matter how long the sermon was!!

With one exception 3 seasons ago, I never leave early and I'm driving back to Chicago.

Nukem2
02-18-2014, 04:24 PM
You know I will always find a way to complain, right? Well, what was up with the crowd on Saturday? Yes, they were loud, they were crazy, they were intensely into the game - which was awesome. But when MU sealed it with about 1:10 left - people were heading to the exits in large numbers, especially those in the lower bowl where they leave through the Courtside Club. The writer next to me, who is a not an MU guy, said,

"What is with that? They are going to win - don't you pay for the tickets to see a win? It's not like they're losing, and it's not like it was a 9:00 pm tip off, I have never seen a crowd empty like this before a victory is over."

Again, that wasn't an MU guy, but for the players at court level to see all of the people just bolting out of there? It was weird.
Student crowd in upper bowl went up to the last 3 rows for the 1 st half of Xavier. After halftime, those sections were very noticeably empty.......

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Not only that, but it was a Saturday. There was no traffic to beat.

I really wish the BC would stop people from entering and exiting during plays. I'm in the front row of my section, so every yahoo that comes back from a break walks right through my line of sight. Incredibly annoying.

MU/Panther
02-18-2014, 06:03 PM
Many leave early. My guess is to beat the rush and to get out of the parking lots, which could be a nightmare.

MU/Panther
02-18-2014, 06:04 PM
My guess on the attendance will be over 16,000.

ChitownAl
02-18-2014, 07:24 PM
You know I will always find a way to complain, right? Well, what was up with the crowd on Saturday?...But when MU sealed it with about 1:10 left - people were heading to the exits in large numbers, especially those in the lower bowl where they leave through the Courtside Club. The writer next to me, who is a not an MU guy, said, ... "What is with that? They are going to win - don't you pay for the tickets to see a win? It's not like they're losing, and it's not like it was a 9:00 pm tip off, I have never seen a crowd empty like this before a victory is over." ... It was weird.

That is an IWB! As others mentioned, the "late arrivals" at the beginning of the game and especially before at the start of the 2nd half are also irritating. Like Caribou and IWB pointed out, the early departures before game-end are disappointing.

Our season ticket base is great for anteing up the money for tickets. However, it always confounds me for the above mentioned behaviors, as well as not even showing for some games despite paying for tickets

MU/Panther
02-18-2014, 07:27 PM
I don't know what can be done. You don't want to p. o. the paying fans by telling them, you better show up or don't leave early. They will say I'm not buying next year, if you do.

IrwinFletcher
02-18-2014, 09:11 PM
IWB - the same thing happened at Hinkle Field House. Minute to go, people were leaving in droves and at that place, it was painfully obvious.

I think it is simply reflective of fans as opposed to just a Marquette thing.

bleedbluegold03
02-19-2014, 12:09 AM
Game had too much sense of comfort Saturday - consistently a 8-13 lead - and I thought left a lot on the table for most the second half in terms of sound.

A friend of mine who went to B10 school and Saturday's game said it was real quiet at times. But then again, to the average fan its a comfortable lead against an un-ranked opponent.

Goose85
02-19-2014, 08:20 AM
I agree, for having over 18,000 people it was quite at times. Talked to some X fans before the game who, along with being happy that beer was sold in the stadium, were looking forward to the game atmosphere. I agree, just seemed like we were in control so the crowd was a bit relaxed.

I'm fine with someone who was talking with friends or waiting in line for a beer to come back a few minutes late from the half. What I can't stand is those that don't have the respect for others and do so while the game is going on.

At a baseball game you wait until batters change or inning change. In basketball you wait until there is a stop in play. For the first five minutes of the second half you may as well just stand so you don't miss something as people are moving back to their seats.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-19-2014, 10:42 AM
At a baseball game you wait until batters change or inning change. In basketball you wait until there is a stop in play. For the first five minutes of the second half you may as well just stand so you don't miss something as people are moving back to their seats.

I really wish I could just stand, but there's a really nice family behind me that always brings their 3 young daughters. Well-behaved kids, but if I stand up, they can't see a thing. As they actually seem to pay attention and cheer at the right time, I'd feel like a jerk standing in front of them.