View Full Version : CBS Bracketology

MU/Panther
02-17-2014, 08:38 AM
Last four in: Providence, Saint Joseph's, Georgetown, Tennessee
First four out: Oregon, St. John's, Richmond, Dayton

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-17-2014, 09:17 AM
USA today also doesn't list us, I think a win Wednesday changes that dramatically

Markedman
02-17-2014, 10:32 AM
http://www.unf.edu/~jcoleman/dance.htm

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-17-2014, 10:39 AM
According to that we have a 0% chance if selection Sunday as today? Or just 0% no matter what? I'll call BS if it's the latter.

Markedman
02-17-2014, 11:03 AM
It is the former………that site is about as far from BS as you can get.

Bottom line…we have lots of work to do….
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/bubble-watch

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-17-2014, 06:11 PM
I thought ESPN's Joey Brackets tweeted that Marq was in his 2nd four out? Looking at his updated bracketology today and we arent in there. I know it doesnt mean anything and we have a lot of work to do....but just curious as to why we arent in there after his tweet?

lj854
02-17-2014, 06:17 PM
I thought ESPN's Joey Brackets tweeted that Marq was in his 2nd four out? Looking at his updated bracketology today and we arent in there. I know it doesnt mean anything and we have a lot of work to do....but just curious as to why we arent in there after his tweet?

Pretty sure he tweeted that Saturday. A few teams appear to have leap-frogged us on Sunday (Nebraska, for example based on his updated S-curve).

AlexJesswein
02-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Must be my influence..currently in his Bracketology class at St. Joes (http://www.sju.edu/int/academics/pls/programs/certificate/bracketology.html)

IWB
02-17-2014, 06:30 PM
Funny how some brackets have the Big East with 4 in, and with Georgetown in the discussion. MU is ahead tied for third in the Big East standings, Will they really take Providence and Georgetown and even Xavier but not MU if MU finishes 3rd in the conference?

warriorfan4life
02-17-2014, 06:50 PM
Funny how some brackets have the Big East with 4 in, and with Georgetown in the discussion. MU is ahead tied for third in the Big East standings, Will they really take Providence and Georgetown and even Xavier but not MU if MU finishes 3rd in the conference?

Depends how much separation there is between Marquette and the rest. If Marquette is 11-7, with Georgetown and Xavier 10-8, I can see them getting in ahead of Marquette (both have strong non-conference profiles). Now, I do not think that Providence or St. John's have much over Marquette, so a third place Marquette should get in ahead of both of them/along with them.

Markedman
02-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Georgetown has wins over Kansas State, VCU, and Michigan State all on neutral sites......MU has nothing close to that in our non conference win column. Xavier beat Cincy and Tennessee along with decent wins against Wake and Alabama. Nothing great but far better then what we can claim.

warriorfan4life
02-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Georgetown has wins over Kansas State, VCU, and Michigan State all on neutral sites......MU has nothing close to that in our non conference win column. Xavier beat Cincy and Tennessee along with decent wins against Wake and Alabama. Nothing great but far better then what we can claim.

I agree with your general premise, but I do not think that Xavier's wins over Wake or Bama will factor in much.

Markedman
02-17-2014, 07:39 PM
I agree it won't factor in much but in comparison to our non conference...we have George Washington and literally nothing else.....at least they beat a few other "real" teams to go with the big W against Cincy....

AlexJesswein
02-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Depends how much separation there is between Marquette and the rest. If Marquette is 11-7, with Georgetown and Xavier 10-8, I can see them getting in ahead of Marquette (both have strong non-conference profiles). Now, I do not think that Providence or St. John's have much over Marquette, so a third place Marquette should get in ahead of both of them/along with them.

Lunar did has said multiple times that conference affiliation/standings mattering are one of the biggest myths of the committee

warriorfan4life
02-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Lunar did has said multiple times that conference affiliation/standings mattering are one of the biggest myths of the committee

Yes and no. In Marquette's situation, it is not a huge deal unless we are multiple games ahead of fourth/fifth/sixth. In that case, especially in a round-robin league, common sense will play out.

Where it matters is at the very top of the league. If you win a top 10 RPI league outright, you are getting in the field (the only exception was 2012 Washington is the historically awful Pac 12).

AlexJesswein
02-17-2014, 08:59 PM
Yes and no. In Marquette's situation, it is not a huge deal unless we are multiple games ahead of fourth/fifth/sixth. In that case, especially in a round-robin league, common sense will play out.

Where it matters is at the very top of the league. If you win a top 10 RPI league outright, you are getting in the field (the only exception was 2012 Washington is the historically awful Pac 12).

Yes--agree that it is slightly more important with a round robin league vs a league like the big 10 with an unbalanced schedule.

Goose85
02-18-2014, 01:38 PM

As is the case with every team, you need to win in order to be included. A win over Creighton would really give us a chance to get back in the discussion.

Interesting look at the last four in / first four out. Of the eight teams, three are Big East and three are Atlantic 10.
Obviously these are at least eight of the teams we need to concern ourselves with (should we continue to play well down the stretch).

G-Town, Providence and St. John's make up three of our last four games (with Villanova the other). That is in the control your own destiny category. Beat them and we have a good chance to move past these three.

Who A-10 Plays that are tourney possible.

Richmond plays Dayton as well as GW and VCU.
Dayton last four are St. Joe's, UMass, SLU and Richmond.
St. Joe's has Dayton and GW.

Should be interesting to see who in the Big East / A-10 play their way in or out in the next three weeks.
Let's hope we make a statement on Wednesday night.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-18-2014, 01:54 PM
Win Wednesday and I think we will be included in all the bubble talk, as it stands right now we are probably just off that radar. If we lose Wednesday night we get pushed even farther back.

Goose85
02-19-2014, 08:51 AM

Last four in;
- Providence loses to Villanova in double OT.
- Tennessee beats Georgia by 19.

- St. Joe's at Rhode Island tonight
- G-Town at Seton Hall on Thursday

First four out;
- St. John's beats Butler by 25.
- Richmond loses to GW by 8 (MUHS grad John Kopriva with 2 points and 2 boards for GW).

- Oregon hosts Washington tonight
- Dayton hosts LaSalle tonight

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-19-2014, 09:38 AM
Marquette is very fortunate that the bubble is not even remotely close to strong this year, a win tonight and I could see them jumping all of those teams and ending up in the last four in category or the first four out... If you look at the resumes the only real difference right now is our non conference schedule was super weak, otherwise we are right there with everyone and we have actually played more top 50 teams than most of the teams in this group. We seemed to play a lot of top 50 and a lot of bottom 200, not a ton in between.

Goose85
02-19-2014, 09:41 AM
CBS on some Bubble winners and losers from last night.

I agree BW4Pres - a win tonight could put MU into the last four in/out discussion.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24447883/poppin-bubbles-gw-solidifies-resume-while-richmond-misses-chance