PDA

View Full Version : Dougie McBuckets

Gato78
02-16-2014, 06:46 PM
How the hell are we going to stop him? 39 vs Villanova today. Mrs. Gato and I were discussing where he stands on the Kyle Korver vs. Larry Bird scale. I think he is closer to Larry Bird. He is POY without question. Need to double him but then Wragge goes off. Their point is damn good too. Tough, tough team. Need Jamil to guard McBuckets but will have to live with the foul trouble.

mufansince72
02-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Maybe we should have the walkon get in a fight with him so they both get kicked out :)

kneelb4zerg
02-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Maybe we should have the walkon get in a fight with him so they both get kicked out :)

Make me a walk on I'm game.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-16-2014, 07:10 PM
I think you have to take the approach of shutting down the other 4 guys on the floor and deal with whatever he does. He may go off for 40 but if you can stop the others you might have a chance. Personally I think this is a bad matchup for us, I think we will have a better shot at beating Nova but on any given night anything can happen, maybe Creighton has an off shooting night

Goose85
02-16-2014, 07:11 PM
You don't stop him, you just hope to contain him.

The key is not letting the rest of the team go nuts from 3.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-16-2014, 07:14 PM
I think you have to take the approach of shutting down the other 4 guys on the floor and deal with whatever he does. He may go off for 40 but if you can stop the others you might have a chance. Personally I think this is a bad matchup for us, I think we will have a better shot at beating Nova but on any given night anything can happen, maybe Creighton has an off shooting night

I agree completely with this. Stop Wragge and Manginat (sp?) and they become very beatable.

mufan2003
02-16-2014, 10:42 PM
Save Jamil on McDermott for the 2nd half. Can't afford Jamil getting 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes and having him collect splinters on the bench.

If Juan starts, he has length to stay with him. Not as if Juan exerts much energy offensively.

I agree with let McDermott get his but shut down others. I don't think Creighton would lose to any team on their home court this year. Maybe Syracuse. They are so good at home.They lost @Providence and @ St. Johns. They are not quite as invincible on the road. That being said, will be quite a task for MU on Wednesday.

Phantom Warrior
02-16-2014, 11:05 PM
In the first game, Burton actually did an excellent job on McDermott. It was probably the best defensive game DB has had. Give Burton a chance, and see how he does.

GOMU1104
02-17-2014, 06:49 AM
I think we're going to need a Dwight Burke on Alando Tucker-esqe shutdown to have a chance.

TulsaWarrior
02-17-2014, 10:04 AM
The key to slowing down McDermott may be making him work on defense. Can Marquette get a couple of Creighton players in foul trouble? This has to be an ugly, grind it out game. Make the entire Creighton team work their butts off on D.

Phantom Warrior
02-17-2014, 10:28 AM
I thought it was Chris Grimm on Tucker. The game Burke actually scored some points and made some free throws was a different game if memory serves. Crean put Grimm on Tucker - which at the time I thought was ridiculous - and it worked. Using that approach, we should put Davante and Chris on McDermott.

kneelb4zerg
02-17-2014, 11:52 AM
For those that don't follow them on twitter cracked sidewalks is tweeting some really interesting stuff about the Creighton game. Basically we've been forcing teams into turnovers well above their season averages the last 5 games. Also we did a good job defensively in the first creighton game - 20% To %, 1.05 PPP.

MUfan12
02-17-2014, 12:40 PM
CU also had 13 offensive rebounds in that game. MU has to do a better job on the glass. Especially the guards, since there's bound to be long rebounds. Can't give their shooters second looks.

Nukem2
02-17-2014, 01:14 PM
I thought it was Chris Grimm on Tucker. The game Burke actually scored some points and made some free throws was a different game if memory serves. Crean put Grimm on Tucker - which at the time I thought was ridiculous - and it worked. Using that approach, we should put Davante and Chris on McDermott.

You are correct.

Nukem2
02-17-2014, 01:15 PM
CU also had 13 offensive rebounds in that game. MU has to do a better job on the glass. Especially the guards, since there's bound to be long rebounds. Can't give their shooters second looks.
Yep. Xavier almost came back on Saturday with offensive rebounds down the stretch.

2012Warrior
02-17-2014, 01:15 PM
I think Landry was the one that Burke was put on from UW and he shut him down.

Nukem2
02-17-2014, 01:27 PM
Probably the big thing for Burke in that win at UW were the two FTs he made a in the last minute.... Burke was not a good FT shooter.