PDA

View Full Version : MU - Xavier

IWB
02-15-2014, 03:09 PM
MU - Xavier

Keys to game - loose balls, taking charges, defending the transition game and fighting the ball screens.

Lineup Jake, Juan, Chris, Jamil, Derrick

Refs - Noteworthy, Paul Selzc on the game, his wife Jamie worked for MU and was hired away by Cottingham.

IWB
02-15-2014, 03:24 PM
As predicted, MU more aggressive than I have seen in quite some time. Place is up for grabs, Xavier players constantly complaining to the refs and we are only 7 minutes in. MU needs to keep up the aggressive pressure, Xavier is already showing signs of a possible meltdown.

TedBaxter
02-15-2014, 03:28 PM
The team is much more focused on the defensive end than at any time this year, at least at the beginning of the game.

IWB
02-15-2014, 03:29 PM
Updated stats - MU has 5 assists on 7 made baskets. Shooting just under 60% from the field.

MU 5-2 in points off turnovers

IWB
02-15-2014, 03:31 PM
NBA watch - Toronto Raptor Dwight Buycks in the house.

IWB
02-15-2014, 03:47 PM
Derrick Wilson with 4 steals already.

IWB
02-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Derrick Wilson - 3-6 from field, 6 points, 3 assists, 5 steals, 0 turnovers
Jake Thomas - 2-5 from field, 2-2 from three, 6 points, 1 assist, 0 turnovers
Todd Mayo - 2-3 from field, 4 points, 3 assists

MU back court getting it done!

Points off of turnovers - MU 12-6 (would be 14 had Jamil not been tripped)

IWB
02-15-2014, 03:55 PM
MU getting beat on glass, 10-7.

Mayo with another steal, Xavier has 11 turnovers, they average 12 per game.

mufansince72
02-15-2014, 04:06 PM
I have to give credit where it is due! Dwill with his best half of his career. He was everywhere!

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-15-2014, 04:11 PM
Great half. Derrick dominating Christon defensively and looking good on offense. I love how Todd is playing. His effort is at a whole other level. The Todd we are seeing today is the guy we've been waiting three years for.

For most of the half, MU had nearly as many field goal makes as Xavier had attempts. I think if Buzz could transition that "more free throw makes than opponent attempts" philosophy to field goals, we'd be a much more successful team :D

IWB
02-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Spoke with Bulls-Eye Bros at the half - they said, "If you would have told us Christon would be 1-3 from the field at the half, we would have told you you were crazy."

IWB
02-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Points off of turnovers - MU 15-6
Fast Break - MU 4-0
Bench - MU 16-7
2nd Chance - MU 8-6
Points in Paint - 18-18

IWB
02-15-2014, 04:40 PM
How did the hit on Davante look on TV/? From sitting right here under the hoop, that tip in was a big time offensive goal tend.

Jake Thomas - WHAT?!?!?! MU career high 6 threes, previous best was 5 against Xavier - had 10 in a game at Dakota.

IWB
02-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Gato on the Jumbo tron side by side as Raftery's twin? Please for the love of God tell me someone got a picture of that!!

IWB
02-15-2014, 05:19 PM
Final - MU 81, Xavier 72

The Reptile
02-15-2014, 06:04 PM
Final - MU 81, Xavier 72

I know that someone dreamed of an outcome like that. ;)

IWB
02-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Yep

Speaking of the Bulls-Eye Bros - spoke with them after the game. Do you realize their streak? They come to 1-2 MU games per year. I think they have seen 1 total loss since they started coming up when Crean was hired.

Goose85
02-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Awesome game by De Wilson and Jake. As Buzz said Live to fight another day.

Nukem2
02-15-2014, 08:44 PM
Awesome game by De Wilson and Jake. As Buzz said Live to fight another day.
They work well in tandem with Todd and Davante. That was not happening until recently.

Goose85
02-15-2014, 09:27 PM
They work well in tandem with Todd and Davante. That was not happening until recently.

Agree. I always thought DeWil and Jake did not work well. That looks to change when Mayo is on the court and engaged. Todd really brings a dimension we have been missing. Todd can legitimately drive and dish.

kneelb4zerg
02-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Todd is playing great. Even when he's not having big scoring games as in the last two games. He is definitely the X factor. IWBs report from practice was encouraging and you can see it in the games.

Nukem2
02-15-2014, 09:43 PM
Todd is playing great. Even when he's not having big scoring games as in the last two games. He is definitely the X factor. IWBs report from practice was encouraging and you can see it in the games.
Yep. Todd is the ying to the yang of Derrick and Jake ( especially with Davante in the game ).......

DCwarrior
02-15-2014, 09:43 PM
Finally watched the DVR of the game. Who would have thought MU's starting backcourt would be the story of the game. Looks like Buzz has finally settled on a rotation and that rotation is much smaller.

Markedman
02-15-2014, 10:34 PM
I think Derrick has emerged as a leader on this team. Point guard almost has to be the guy or at least one of the guys....his defense today was off the charts good...played almost the whole game and again didn't turn it over. Took it to the hoop and was able to score against taller players too.......

Nice to see he and Thomas have great games against a good team in really a must win situation....

kneelb4zerg
02-15-2014, 10:44 PM
I think Derrick has emerged as a leader on this team. Point guard almost has to be the guy or at least one of the guys....his defense today was off the charts good...played almost the whole game and again didn't turn it over. Took it to the hoop and was able to score against taller players too.......

Nice to see he and Thomas have great games against a good team in really a must win situation....

Where are the haters? Where are bleed and Alex? F ing losers

The Reptile
02-15-2014, 10:57 PM

I watched the game from home here in North Carolina. My absolute favorite moment was in the 2nd half when Derrick was coming off the court when X called a time out because he made a couple of plays in a row. Buzz got all fired up and shows the emotion that he sometimes does on the bench (seen post game @ West Virginia a few years back). So, Derrick finally makes his way to the bench and Buzz just about mugs him. You could almost read how much he cares about Derrick from that one moment. To me, it shows the love he shows for his players when they reach the potential he envisions for them. Truly an outstanding moment.

kneelb4zerg
02-15-2014, 11:04 PM
I watched the game from home here in North Carolina. My absolute favorite moment was in the 2nd half when Derrick was coming off the court when X called a time out because he made a couple of plays in a row. Buzz got all fired up and shows the emotion that he sometimes does on the bench (seen post game @ West Virginia a few years back). So, Derrick finally makes his way to the bench and Buzz just about mugs him. You could almost read how much he cares about Derrick from that one moment. To me, it shows the love he shows for his players when they reach the potential he envisions for them. Truly an outstanding moment.

Yep. Don't care how the season ends. Derrick and Jake deserve our respect. Busted their asses all year for Marquette.

Sick and tired of the losers booing and talking ****.

AlexJesswein
02-15-2014, 11:52 PM

Happy National Marquette Day

bleedbluegold03
02-15-2014, 11:52 PM

We are 15-10. It's the same backcourt that's gotten us here. It was a good win. Best game for that backcourt collectively, but that's not saying too much.

We've got work to do. Cool your jets bro.

But good job again on the name calling guy.

02-16-2014, 12:41 AM

They showed a replay of Buzz's reaction at the BC. Just pure energy. Anyone who hasn't seen Derrick's transformation this year is either stupid, willfully blind, or just a hater. Kid has grown up before our eyes and is really playing well. Starting to turn the flashes into games.

MUAlphaBangura
02-16-2014, 07:29 AM
We are 15-10. It's the same backcourt that's gotten us here. It was a good win. Best game for that backcourt collectively, but that's not saying too much.

We've got work to do. Cool your jets bro.

But good job again on the name calling guy.

Yeah. Our season so far is completely on Derrick and Jake. C'mon man. This season of inconsistency is on our TEAM. Each and every one of the players and coaches. Blows me away that you and others can't see that. Those two guys keep working hard and getting better, yet you go back to the default- they are the reason we are 15-10. That is so short-sighted.

02-16-2014, 08:41 AM
Yeah. Our season so far is completely on Derrick and Jake. C'mon man. This season of inconsistency is on our TEAM. Each and every one of the players and coaches. Blows me away that you and others can't see that. Those two guys keep working hard and getting better, yet you go back to the default- they are the reason we are 15-10. That is so short-sighted.

What gets me is it seems the same people that blame Derrick and Jake for all the losses refuse to give them any credit for all the wins. We apparently lose because of them and win in spite of them. I'm not sure if it's just the willful ignorance or to the point where it's just sad.

mufansince72
02-16-2014, 09:57 AM
What gets me is it seems the same people that blame Derrick and Jake for all the losses refuse to give them any credit for all the wins. We apparently lose because of them and win in spite of them. I'm not sure if it's just the willful ignorance or to the point where it's just sad.

Don't know if you saw my post on the first page of this thread, but I said that I have to give credit where credit is due, Derrick had the half of his career, and was everwhere! He played great in the second half too. I hope he can continue to play near this level for the rest of his career. MU needs backcourt play like this from Derrick and Jake on a consistent basis to have any chance to win against good teams.

02-16-2014, 10:15 AM
I'm not talking just about yesterday, '72. I'm talking about all season long. Many of Derrick and Jake's positive contributions to our 15 wins have been minimized while their contributions to our 10 losses have been over-magnified.

My issue is that for them to get any credit from some people, they have to be CLEARLY the best players on the court. Jamil, Davante, Todd have off games, it's excused. Derrick and Jake have even average games and they are made to be pariahs.

Take Derrick and Jake out of the lineup and we don't just lose yesterday, we lose a lot more games than the 10 currently in the right hand column.

bleedbluegold03
02-16-2014, 10:27 AM
I in no way think the season is completely at the feet of Jake/Derrick. They are the worst backcourt in the conference by a wide margin, but it's been a myriad of shortcomings that's brought us to this point. The biggest being the inability to close games in the final five minutes. We've seemed to have recaptured that fight. Hope it's not too late.

MUAlphaBangura
02-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Don't know if you saw my post on the first page of this thread, but I said that I have to give credit where credit is due, Derrick had the half of his career, and was everwhere! He played great in the second half too. I hope he can continue to play near this level for the rest of his career. MU needs backcourt play like this from Derrick and Jake on a consistent basis to have any chance to win against good teams.

Your last sentence is accurate but it pertains to everybody on the team. If Jamil or Davante or Todd or anyone else, either individually or in tandem don't show up or play consistently to their talent, Marquette won't have a chance to beat good teams. Don't put it all on Derrick and Jake.

mufansince72
02-16-2014, 10:30 AM
I'm not talking just about yesterday, '72. I'm talking about all season long. Many of Derrick and Jake's positive contributions to our 15 wins have been minimized while their contributions to our 10 losses have been over-magnified.

My issue is that for them to get any credit from some people, they have to be CLEARLY the best players on the court. Jamil, Davante, Todd have off games, it's excused. Derrick and Jake have even average games and they are made to be pariahs.

Take Derrick and Jake out of the lineup and we don't just lose yesterday, we lose a lot more games than the 10 currently in the right hand column.

You are right to some extent. I think many of us as fans maybe spoiled because we have had such good guard play over the years. Our guards this year have had more downs than ups. I don't expect these guys to do what they did yesterday all the time because they both had near career games. With that said, for MU to win, they have to play closer to yesterday than they have for the majority of the season. I'm glad to see they have it in them, because through about the first 15 games or so I didn't think they did. I will happily eat crow if the team continues to win and we consistently get good games out of the backcourt.

MU/Panther
02-16-2014, 01:09 PM
I watch the game this morning, trying to pick up things I don't always see at the BMO Harris Bradley Center. I loved the part with 3 minutes left in the 1st half, when Derrick Wilson stoled the ball again. Buzz had the best sweating hug, high five and bear hug for DW. It brought a tear to my eye!

I like how Fox showed the current MU players in the NBA.

Dick Stockton calls on Jake Thomas three's were great!

I wish the Marquette VB team would get a bigger hand from the crowd. MU fans need to get out and watch other MU sports other than basketball.

MUfan12
02-16-2014, 10:53 PM
How did the hit on Davante look on TV/? From sitting right here under the hoop, that tip in was a big time offensive goal tend.

Rewatched the game tonight. I cannot believe that all three officials thought that was a legal screen. Not only did the guy move into it, he threw his forearms right into Davante's chest. It was absurd.

They zoomed on Buzz after he called timeout, and you could see him yelling "He took his head off, Paul!"

MUAlphaBangura
02-17-2014, 07:41 AM
Rewatched the game tonight. I cannot believe that all three officials thought that was a legal screen. Not only did the guy move into it, he threw his forearms right into Davante's chest. It was absurd.

They zoomed on Buzz after he called timeout, and you could see him yelling "He took his head off, Paul!"

After watching the replay on tv, it no doubt was a foul on Philmore, but was not flagrant at all IMO. Refs can't look at the replay and change a no call to a call. Probably watched it and said- yep, effed that one up, but no flagrant. Watching it live, we all thought it was Davante overreacting as usual.

MUMac
02-17-2014, 07:46 AM
After watching the replay on tv, it no doubt was a foul on Philmore, but was not flagrant at all IMO. Refs can't look at the replay and change a no call to a call. Probably watched it and said- yep, effed that one up, but no flagrant. Watching it live, we all thought it was Davante overreacting as usual.

I was not able to watch the game and had not seen the play. You mentioned Davante's overreacting. Could that have come into play here? Did his theatrics potentially cost him here? Officials tend to eventually tune someone out when they are constantly demonstrative.

MUfan12
02-17-2014, 09:00 AM

I didn't think it was a flagrant either. But certainly a moving screen, and a blatant one at that.

That call was evened out by the late foul on a rebound, where the X player (Philmore?) had inside position on Davante and got called for a foul. Thought MU caught a break on that one.

MUAlphaBangura
02-17-2014, 11:09 AM
I was not able to watch the game and had not seen the play. You mentioned Davante's overreacting. Could that have come into play here? Did his theatrics potentially cost him here? Officials tend to eventually tune someone out when they are constantly demonstrative.

Mac, wouldn't rule out that the refs thought DG was acting too much. He was kind of holding his upper chest/neck area after he got up like he had been run over by a truck. But like always, was ready to receive the ball on offense like nothing had happened.:D

Markedman
02-17-2014, 11:39 AM
What is just bizarre is the announcers saw it on replay and both said it was a good screen even though it was obvious to anyone who was looking at it that Philmore leaned into Gardner…….It wasn’t flagrant but it was a foul.

I didn't think it was a flagrant either. But certainly a moving screen, and a blatant one at that.

That call was evened out by the late foul on a rebound, where the X player (Philmore?) had inside position on Davante and got called for a foul. Thought MU caught a break on that one.

Goose85
02-17-2014, 12:39 PM
Personally I have a hard time figuring out what a charge and a block is these days.

MUMac
02-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Personally I have a hard time figuring out what a charge and a block is these days.

So do the officials.

pbiflyer
02-17-2014, 03:52 PM

Jim Burr, is that you? :p

Nukem2
02-17-2014, 04:22 PM
Yep, the block/charge calls are ridiculously inconsistent... :(

CaribouJim
02-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Mac, wouldn't rule out that the refs thought DG was acting too much. He was kind of holding his upper chest/neck area after he got up like he had been run over by a truck. But like always, was ready to receive the ball on offense like nothing had happened.:D

Hilarious, but true.

I do have the sinking feeling that he is going to overact to a situation before the season is over and pull a Jerome Whitehead "throw his elbows" in a reckless (unlike Jerome) fashion that could get ugly and cost the team. Still is a wizard with the ball down low - the epitome of "old man basketball".