PDA

View Full Version : NBA age limit….going up?

Markedman
02-14-2014, 11:28 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24443113/nba-commish-adam-silver-one-and-done-a-disaster-favors-raising-age-limit

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-14-2014, 11:45 AM
I'd like to see that. While the one-and-done has worked better than the high school direct to NBA phenomenon, it could still use work. Too many idiots like Jereme Richmond that think making the jump immediately is the right move.

Goose85
02-14-2014, 12:13 PM
If kids don't want to go to college, the can always try to make money by going overseas (like Jennings did) or play in the developmental league.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-14-2014, 12:51 PM
Exactly right. Regardless, I think the extra development has been a plus in the past. I also think kids benefit from having consistent coaching, and one-and-dones are changing coaches three times in three years during some of their most crucial development, from a high school coach as a senior to a college coach as a freshman to a NBA coach as a rookie. Just doesn't seem like a very good way to get guys to understand what the next level is looking for when they have so little consistency during that stretch.

MU/Panther
02-14-2014, 12:56 PM
I'm shocked! I thought Adam Silver was a copy of Stern. Changing the age would make cbb and the nba better. It works for cfb and the nfl.

TheSultan
02-14-2014, 01:02 PM
I'm shocked! I thought Adam Silver was a copy of Stern. Changing the age would make cbb and the nba better. It works for cfb and the nfl.

Exactly right.

Mucrisco
02-14-2014, 01:03 PM
I don't think the age limit has as much to do with the coaching as it does for protection of the GM's and owners. In fact, in college, there is a time limit on a coach's access to a player. So, in many ways, that can limit development. However, before the rule, GM's were drafting based upon potential and limited information. So, there ended up being more misses than hits. After the age limit, GM's and scouts are able to watch players against better competition and in more organized systems. Plus, they can watch how much they develop with higher level coaches. Therefore, they are able to make a more informed decision.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-14-2014, 02:01 PM
I personally think it should be like baseball, you can choose to go right from high school, but if you don't you need to wait 2 or 3 years... That eliminates the guys who don't want to be there, and allows the top tier guys to go, but it also gives the college teams some stability

IrwinFletcher
02-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Agree with 4Pres in making it like baseball. Would also like to see the NBA upgrade things with the D-League and treat it like a true Minor League system much like baseball. If they would pay the guys a bit more, they would likely stay stateside and develop against better players. Maybe allow teams to carry 15-20 guys with the intent that a handful are down in the minors and available to be called up as needed.

GOMU1104
02-14-2014, 02:42 PM
The "Baseball Rule" also allows players to be drafted out of Junior College after every season. A player could be drafted five times...High School, J1, J2, JR, SR.

Fundamentally, age rules are stupid. As long as you're qualified and a team wants to pay you, the transaction should be allowed to take place.

The NBPA must approve any change. Agents don't want a higher age limit, and they will relay why it is bad to their clients, who ultimately do the voting.

GOMU1104
02-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Agree with 4Pres in making it like baseball. Would also like to see the NBA upgrade things with the D-League and treat it like a true Minor League system much like baseball. If they would pay the guys a bit more, they would likely stay stateside and develop against better players. Maybe allow teams to carry 15-20 guys with the intent that a handful are down in the minors and available to be called up as needed.

Save for the ones that get big bonuses out of the draft, minor league baseball players hardly make any money.

DCwarrior
02-14-2014, 03:11 PM
The "Baseball Rule" also allows players to be drafted out of Junior College after every season. A player could be drafted five times...High School, J1, J2, JR, SR.

Fundamentally, age rules are stupid. As long as you're qualified and a team wants to pay you, the transaction should be allowed to take place.

The NBPA must approve any change. Agents don't want a higher age limit, and they will relay why it is bad to their clients, who ultimately do the voting.

I don't disagree that the agents and players union will be against this, but I don't understand why they would be against it. I would think the union and agents would support the increased age restriction because it keeps more jobs for current, veteran players (who the union and agents represents) rather than college players whom they don't represent yet.

IWB
02-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Players union should be against this too. When jobs are being taken up by people who don't play because they have "potential", you would think any older vets would want to be there for two more years as opposed to being replaced by a kid who needs to develop.

CaribouJim
02-14-2014, 04:53 PM
Players union should be against this too. When jobs are being taken up by people who don't play because they have "potential", you would think any older vets would want to be there for two more years as opposed to being replaced by a kid who needs to develop.

Exactly. The vast, vast majority of kids leaving after one year are not close to being ready physically, emotionally and otherwise. When they do eventually develop and are ready to play NBA ball and contribute to the team that drafted them they are eligible for free agency. The NBA shouldn't be the farm league for the NBA.

Like said previously in this thread, it would be good for both CBB and the NBA. Marcus Smart is an example - most likely would have gone higher last year than this year. It is the right of the NBA to reduce their risk as they are the ones shelling out these crazy salaries.

GOMU1104
02-14-2014, 04:56 PM
More draft eligible players means more clients. That's what they want.

And maybe they're not all on board with a increased/deceased limit, but they will definitley hold it as a bargaining chip to get something they want in return.

IWB
02-14-2014, 05:04 PM
I know they all want numbers because no one knows who the next Jordan will be, but in my opinion they are wrong. The guys that they are eliminating with the youngsters is the veterans that are towards the end of their careers. Sure, there are guys that are hanging on with the league minimum, but would you rather represent two rookies like Vander and Buycks that are hanging on by a thread making $400k each or two old guys who can squeeze out one more year of $5 mil between them?