PDA

View Full Version : Is There a Conference Replay Rule?

Goose85
02-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Ok, With ticket prices increasing in sports, and the upgrades to the tv watching experience with sports there are many reasons for people to stay home and watch on tv.

With that being said, I do enjoy the college basketball live experience.
One thing that is disappointing at the BC for MU games is virtually no replays, especially where a call was made.

Is that a league rule that the arena can't show replays? If you want to improve the live game experience, at least let us see the replays the folks who didn't pay to go to the game are seeing.

While refs may not like it, there were a few calls in the last home game the fans were booing that we felt were correct in our section - goes both ways.

Nukem2
02-13-2014, 05:00 PM
This was the case in the old BE as well. We see replays in NC games at the BC, but not for BE games. Don't know if it is a league rule or whatever.

BLT
02-13-2014, 07:02 PM
The NFL shows replays live...the NCAA now allows official reviews on many conditions. I can go out into the lobby of the BC and see replays on TV screens or on my mobile from my seat. Professional officials are digitally graded each game. But We cannot see a controversial replay live in my seat. Weak sauce indeed.

MUMac
02-13-2014, 07:30 PM
The NFL shows replays live...the NCAA now allows official reviews on many conditions. I can go out into the lobby of the BC and see replays on TV screens or on my mobile from my seat. Professional officials are digitally graded each game. But We cannot see a controversial replay live in my seat. Weak sauce indeed.

The NFL allows replays, as the coaches can view the screen to decide to throw the flag. They did not used to show the replays, before "replay" came to the NFL. Another issue that the NFL has to deal with is all their games are shown within a certain window. Fantasy Football is a concern to the NFL and they need to compete with the mass broadcast and availability of all their games. If they did not show controversial plays, that would be a problem for them.

As Nukem said above, the old BE and the new BE does not allow controversial replays. I agree with Goose85, though. They need to compete with TV and that may be a problem going forward.

BLT
02-13-2014, 08:20 PM
The NFL allows replays, as the coaches can view the screen to decide to throw the flag. They did not used to show the replays, before "replay" came to the NFL. Another issue that the NFL has to deal with is all their games are shown within a certain window. Fantasy Football is a concern to the NFL and they need to compete with the mass broadcast and availability of all their games. If they did not show controversial plays, that would be a problem for them.

As Nukem said above, the old BE and the new BE does not allow controversial replays. I agree with Goose85, though. They need to compete with TV and that may be a problem going forward.

I get your point about the appeal in the NFL being slightly different. However, the NCAA allows a more liberal level of review this season. As a fan at the game, watching Jim Burr's backside for five minutes as he looks at a monitor is not very engaging. Meanwhile, every fan who ran to the urinal or to get a beer gets to see the replay Burr is watching for the 10th time. Just not fan friendly.

What the conference is thinking is 1960ish: Out of sight, out of mind. Establish authority. In reality today, the veil of secrecy does the opposite as it lights a slow burn with fans as they see Jim Burr watching the video...this set of circumstances works to set off a wave of conspiracy theories in the stands, especially from the returnees from the bathroom.

At the holiday tournaments, it is interesting to watch a lot of non-MU games as a neutral fan. One common observed theme: according to the teams playing fans, the refs get every call against their team wrong. As a neutral fan, the refs get 95%+ right. As soon as MU tips off, it is 95% wrong for me. The point: enhance the live fan experience and show the replay. Nothing for the conference to be afraid of by showing the facts other than to settle the fans down by involving them in the live event. It is good business.

MUMac
02-13-2014, 08:22 PM
I get your point about the appeal in the NFL being slightly different. However, the NCAA allows a more liberal level of review this season. As a fan at the game, watching Jim Burr's backside for five minutes as he looks at a monitor is not very engaging. Meanwhile, every fan who ran to the urinal or to get a beer gets to see the replay Burr is watching for the 10th time. Just not fan friendly.

What the conference is thinking is 1960ish: Out of sight, out of mind. Establish authority. In reality today, the veil of secrecy does the opposite as it lights a slow burn with fans as they see Jim Burr watching the video...this set of circumstances works to set off a wave of conspiracy theories in the stands, especially from the returnees from the bathroom.

At the holiday tournaments, it is interesting to watch a lot of non-MU games as a neutral fan. One common observed theme: according to the teams playing fans, the refs get every call against their team wrong. As a neutral fan, the refs get 95%+ right. As soon as MU tips off, it is 95% wrong for me. The point: enhance the live fan experience and show the replay. Nothing for the conference to be afraid of by showing the facts other than to settle the fans down by involving them in the live event. It is good business.

I don't want you to think I was disagreeing with your point. I agree completely. I was just pointing out the reasons why the NFL has changed. I never agreed with keeping the replays off the scoreboard. That was not my intended point.

BLT
02-13-2014, 08:31 PM
I don't want you to think I was disagreeing with your point. I agree completely. I was just pointing out the reasons why the NFL has changed. I never agreed with keeping the replays off the scoreboard. That was not my intended point.

Oh, I got that...sorry I went on but was just building on it as it bugs me. I even text people watching at home during the delay to ask if the call was right or night. That is pretty obsessive, I know.

Goose85
02-14-2014, 01:34 AM
I even text people watching at home during the delay to ask if the call was right or night. That is pretty obsessive, I know.

That is the point. Why should I be penalized and have to text a friend who didn't pay for a ticket to ask what is going on at a game I am paying to watch in person?

HD TV with replays as much as I want shouldn't make the home watching experience better than in game. I am already there for NFL football, rather watch NFL at home.

MUMac
02-14-2014, 07:33 AM
Oh, I got that...sorry I went on but was just building on it as it bugs me. I even text people watching at home during the delay to ask if the call was right or night. That is pretty obsessive, I know.

I will text my son, or sometimes he will preemptively text me, to ask about a call.