View Full Version : Monday's Big East TV

MU/Panther
02-10-2014, 09:55 AM
Providence @ Georgetown -
Fox Sports 1: Justin Kutcher, Donny Marshall
Huge game for both!!

Nukem2
02-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Lots of big games coming up. Nova and CU are at 9-1 and 9-2 with Butler and DePaul at 2-9. The other 6 range from 6-4 to 4-6. Could end up with a lot of teams at .500 Not so encouraging in terms of # of NCAA bids for the BE. MU really needs to get some positive separation this week. Lets go Warriors.

Phantom Warrior
02-10-2014, 10:16 AM
Unfortunately that "separation" could go either direction. Wish I felt more confident.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-10-2014, 10:40 AM
At this point I look at it as MU isn't getting a tourney bid unless we win the BE tournament so I hope that three of Providence, Xavier, St. John's and Georgetown finish strong so we have a shot at 5 bids... Not likely though, I see us finishing with 4...

MU_Iceman
02-10-2014, 10:46 AM
At this point I look at it as MU isn't getting a tourney bid unless we win the BE tournament so I hope that three of Providence, Xavier, St. John's and Georgetown finish strong so we have a shot at 5 bids... Not likely though, I see us finishing with 4...

Probably the best way to look at it...that being said, if Georgetown beats Providence tonight, and MU wins Tuesday...MU is basically in a tie for 3rd. If they could finish third...I don't know how they'd get left out.

TheSultan
02-10-2014, 10:48 AM
Probably the best way to look at it...that being said, if Georgetown beats Providence tonight, and MU wins Tuesday...MU is basically in a tie for 3rd. If they could finish third...I don't know how they'd get left out.

Because conference standings are irrelevant. Marquette's record has to stand on its own.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-10-2014, 11:28 AM
At this point Marquette would need to essentially win out to be in the discussion... Just too many opportunities kicked away earlier this year. When you compare the resumes of the other bubble teams in the Big East we are a bit behind... That said I am very worried that all these bubble teams will beat up on each other and we will end up with less bids.

warriorfan4life
02-10-2014, 12:57 PM
At this point Marquette would need to essentially win out to be in the discussion... Just too many opportunities kicked away earlier this year. When you compare the resumes of the other bubble teams in the Big East we are a bit behind... That said I am very worried that all these bubble teams will beat up on each other and we will end up with less bids.

Again, I do not think that Marquette will play consistent enough basketball to get in the NCAA's.

However, a 7-1 finish definitely gets us in and 6-2 finish has us strongly in the conversation. St. John's and Providence had better out of conference records, but neither of them had a win on the level of GW (projected 8-9 seed in the tourney). If Marquette goes 7-1 down the stretch, it means that we will have matched the Johnnies and PC's wins over Xavier and Creighton (assuming the loss is at Nova). We will also have swept Providence, a potential bid contender. Also, we will have beat St. John's and be guaranteed to finish with a better conference record. The Big East can definitely get five bids as long as the teams earn their spots.

Marquette has to win often and play consistent basketball, something the team has yet to do this year, but it has the potential to gain some separation from fellow bid contenders. I do not expect it to happen, but opportunity is still there to earn a bid with a strong finish.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Perhaps you are right, I'd love for MU to play well enough for them to prove you right also. However I do strongly agree that they won't be able to do that... Which stinks... At this point I'm hoping and praying the BE can get 5 bids, that would be huge for respect and income :)

MUfan12
02-10-2014, 03:50 PM
If Marquette goes 7-1 down the stretch, it means that we will have matched the Johnnies and PC's wins over Xavier and Creighton (assuming the loss is at Nova).

If that scenario happens, the RPI is projected at 45, SOS 49. Probably on the good side of the bubble, though a win in NYC would be nice.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Again, I do not think that Marquette will play consistent enough basketball to get in the NCAA's.

However, a 7-1 finish definitely gets us in and 6-2 finish has us strongly in the conversation. St. John's and Providence had better out of conference records, but neither of them had a win on the level of GW (projected 8-9 seed in the tourney). If Marquette goes 7-1 down the stretch, it means that we will have matched the Johnnies and PC's wins over Xavier and Creighton (assuming the loss is at Nova). We will also have swept Providence, a potential bid contender. Also, we will have beat St. John's and be guaranteed to finish with a better conference record. The Big East can definitely get five bids as long as the teams earn their spots.

Marquette has to win often and play consistent basketball, something the team has yet to do this year, but it has the potential to gain some separation from fellow bid contenders. I do not expect it to happen, but opportunity is still there to earn a bid with a strong finish.

This is pretty much spot on. I think the magic number is 21. If we get to 21 total victories we are an absolute stone cold lock. Of course, that would require either sweeping the league the rest of the way, going 7-1 with a win at MSG, going 6-2 and making the tourney final, or winning all 3 in NYC.

21 wins would be a lock no matter who they are against, 20 victories would be a strong case, 19 would have us squarely on the bubble. Anything less than that and we're almost certainly on the outside looking in.