PDA

View Full Version : If no Buzz, who would want the job?

Goose85
03-27-2012, 12:50 PM
I am really getting tired of this process.

With Buzz I could really see the program going somewhere and maintaining a very high level. Can't believe that positive vibe is not felt through the entire place and issues can't be resolved. If Buzz leaves we will likely take a few big steps back that didn't have to happen. No guarantee on a new coach being successful either.

So, like the Kansas State job, if Buzz leaves for a job like SMU it will be no secret that he could not work with the administration. As the coaching profession is one big fraternity, who would want the job that we would feel energized about?

mufansince72
03-27-2012, 12:54 PM
If Buzz leaves, no one worth a crap would want the MU job IMHO. The best they could probably do is hope they could pull a rabbit out of the hat again and convince Benford to stay.

TulsaWarrior
03-27-2012, 12:55 PM
There are a lot of fans and donors who will never come back if this happens. I'm sorry this would be something that would end any future support of the school.

geneseewarrior
03-27-2012, 01:03 PM
There are a lot of fans and donors who will never come back if this happens. I'm sorry this would be something that would end any future support of the school.

The only way MU could survive this is if they could reincarnate Al McGuire (but they would then run him off four years later...)

ydouask23
03-27-2012, 01:22 PM
A really young unproven coach would take this job despite having to work for an asshole athletic director. The resources and facilities would be attractive enough to get a body in this position at the very least. Anyone with a brain would stay as far away from larry Williams as possible.

Hamostradamus
03-27-2012, 01:29 PM
A really young unproven coach would take this job despite having to work for an asshole athletic director. The resources and facilities would be attractive enough to get a body in this position at the very least. Anyone with a brain would stay as far away from larry Williams as possible.

+ 1,000,000

MayorBeluga
03-27-2012, 01:36 PM
I recall similar questions after MU actually fired a coach who won 100 games in 5 years. Many will be interested given the salary and money that remains behind MU hoops.

Djgoldnboy
03-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Larry Williams? AD and Coach? He'd probably consider it a great hire.

Nukem2
03-27-2012, 01:41 PM
I suspect some folks are being unfair to LW as there probably are other factors involved here. Are things so bad that Buzz would leave his players and recruits and committes and a devoted fan base for a rebuilding job in Dallas, which I consider a truly crummy city ...?

Goose85
03-27-2012, 01:42 PM
I recall similar questions after MU actually fired a coach who won 100 games in 5 years. Many will be interested given the salary and money that remains behind MU hoops.

Honestly, we got lucky. How many of the up and coming assistant coaches do as well as TC and Buzz have done? We would be very lucky if we hit the jackpot 3 straight times.

ydouask23
03-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Yeah we definitely got lucky with Buzz. We also had a stacked roster and Buzz could recruit by selling playing time when they all left... It was the perfect storm which this year isn't exactly the case

Markedman
03-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Agree with the Mayor.
Bottom line is we ended up going with an unproven assistant even after Crean left and the program was in great shape then. The superstar candidates didn't want the job. Big names didn't want the Illinois job that is about to be filled with Groce.

Many coaches will be interested but probably not big names(Smart, Stevens) so you have to do your homework and get lucky.

It's a shame because MU did it's homework and got lucky with both Crean and Buzz.......It's not exactly a sure thing that you get it right 3 times in a row.....

Hamostradamus
03-27-2012, 01:50 PM
If the indications are correct that the new administration thinks the market is overpaying Buzz, the next coach would have to understand even back to back Sweet Sixteens won't get you top 20 salary. Hard to attract a great candidate if there is a salary ceiling in place before you even arrive.

Markedman
03-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Why should the Admin care how much Dick Strong is forking over for the coaches salary?

MUMac
03-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Why should the Admin care how much Dick Strong is forking over for the coaches salary?

Yeah, that is a great question. It's not like MU is forking over this money.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-27-2012, 04:03 PM

That's why I don't think money is nearly the issue some are making it to be. Honestly, if he wanted to pay our coach $10M per year, he could do it. Not that we would, or that it would ever get that ridiculous, but how many years could he pay that wage before he noticed the money was even gone. 10? 20? No way can I see money ever being the deciding factor, there's a strong reason that we have the second highest basketball budget in the country.