PDA

View Full Version : Hunt

kneelb4zerg
02-01-2014, 08:30 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/marquette-brings-its-troubles-to-national-stage-in-new-york-b99195827z1-243038391.html

I know complaining about this guy is pointless, but can he stop beating the "Marquette has basically no chance to make the NCAA" drum? It's in everything he has written over the last week. He says here that Marquette might not make the tournament even if they win all of their remaining games. Jeebus.

MU/Panther
02-01-2014, 08:36 AM
Call me crazy, if MU gets things going in March, I can see them winning 3 games in MSG!

Litehouse
02-01-2014, 08:47 AM
If we win the last 10 we're a lock. 9-1 would probably do it regardless of what happens in the BET.

dubs98
02-01-2014, 09:16 AM
If we win the last 10 we're a lock. 9-1 would probably do it regardless of what happens in the BET.

agree completely. 9-1 would include a few big wins along the way (at least 2 of Xavier, Creighton, or villanova) including some other decent road victories (ie providence). 9-1 is quite a tall order to finish the year, but it without a doubt gets us in. Would give us a good enough record and put us in the category of "hot teams" that normally helps a resume a lot. I think two losses starts getting a bit more dicey (unless we beat both Creighton at home & nova on the road). Either way, even though the team has not played to expectations this year, this is a team that is talented enough to run the table in the big east tourney to get in that way as well. Hopefully we will not have to rely on that, but that is a legit possibility as well.

warriorfan4life
02-01-2014, 09:27 AM
8-2 is a lock, and 7-3 at least has us in the discussion. It will not make much to get into the discussion, and there seems to be many misconceptions from the various Marquette media outlets about the strength of the Big East (3rd in Pomeroys/4th in Conference RPI) and weakness of the bubble (there are teams with 1-2 conference wins still in projected fields and teams with empty profiles just outside of the field).

Hamostradamus
02-01-2014, 09:38 AM
8-2 is a lock, and 7-3 at least has us in the discussion. It will not make much to get into the discussion, and there seems to be many misconceptions from the various Marquette media outlets about the strength of the Big East (3rd in Pomeroys/4th in Conference RPI) and weakness of the bubble (there are teams with 1-2 conference wins still in projected fields and teams with empty profiles just outside of the field).

When you talk brackets, I listen.

GOMU1104
02-01-2014, 09:41 AM

What if our two losses are to Nova and Creighton? What is our resume? Why would we deserve to go?

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-01-2014, 09:46 AM
When you talk brackets, I listen.

Agreed, he knows his stuff when it comes to brackets.

Unfortunately, we all know that the odds are significantly stacked against us from going 8-2 or 7-3 down the stretch. Just not going to happen with this team's inconsistencies on the court in my opinion. I think we lose today which is not something we can afford to do from a tourney resume standpoint.

warriorfan4life
02-01-2014, 10:09 AM
What if our two losses are to Nova and Creighton? What is our resume? Why would we deserve to go?

Still have wins over tourney teams in GW and Xavier, plus a good number of other top 100 wins (and a sweep over fellow NCAA contender Providence). Likely third/tied for third in the #3/#4 league. No real bad losses. Not a great profile, but there are not great profiles at the bottom of the at-large pool. There is a mountain of difference from being a 3 seed (MU last 2 years) and being in the discussion for the final at-large spots.

As of today, we are out, but not necessarily miles out (I don't love Lunardi, but he has Marquette in the range of 9th-12th out of the field).

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-01-2014, 10:28 AM
I always overrate the bottom of the bracket resumes every year. The reality is, as w4 alludes to, the bubble has been real soft for a number or years and is again this year. Looking at some of the teams that Lunardi has as last out - their resumes arent anything that make you go wow.

w4 - you were one of the last to be on the MU tourney bandwagon until you jumped off last week. You back on now? :) For the record, I've been off for a while.

warriorfan4life
02-01-2014, 10:47 AM
I always overrate the bottom of the bracket resumes every year. The reality is, as w4 alludes to, the bubble has been real soft for a number or years and is again this year. Looking at some of the teams that Lunardi has as last out - their resumes arent anything that make you go wow.

w4 - you were one of the last to be on the MU tourney bandwagon until you jumped off last week. You back on now? :) For the record, I've been off for a while.

Still see 10-8 in the league, as the consistency has not been there to do better. The one likely loss to me is @Nova, but the only easy win is Butler. Anything from 5-5 to 9-1 would not stun me, but the teams needs to play a strong 35 minutes a night, not the 20-25 we have seen all year (and other 15-20 minutes have often been rubbish).

However, from an objective look at a tournament standpoint/position, this team is nowhere near dead in the water or needing to win out. It is a lazy talking point crafted from the disappointment of initial expectations and not a look at the current reality (and it's not that hard to look at a projected bracket and see what profiles are currently in the field and being seriously considered).

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-01-2014, 10:53 AM
I think when people say they are dead in the water, it's not due to their lack of knowledge of the weakness on the bubble (well maybe it is for some), but it's more based on the observations of the team and their belief that a switch isn't going to be turned on to make this team significantly different than it has been for 20 games - and to make the tourney it will have to play significantly different - can't keep winning every other game.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-01-2014, 10:54 AM
I think we have to win our next 3 against St. John's, Butler, and Seton Hall... None of those look great on the resume but two are top 100 wins and they get us farther from the dreaded .500 mark

warriorfan4life
02-01-2014, 11:06 AM
I think when people say they are dead in the water, it's not due to their lack of knowledge of the weakness on the bubble (well maybe it is for some), but it's more based on the observations of the team and their belief that a switch isn't going to be turned on to make this team significantly different than it has been for 20 games - and to make the tourney it will have to play significantly different - can't keep winning every other game.

You cannot properly analyze the picture if you project personal beliefs into the evaluation of the situation. I do not believe that this team will make the run needed to get in, but I can also objectively present what is needed to get in and remove my opinion on the team from the situation. I have no problem with anyone believing that this team will not make it in, and I currently share that same belief (even if I came at that hypothesis later then most). I have a major problem with the lazy journalism that mixes the emotion of disappointment into their attempted evaluations of the situation. Even worse is the influence said lazy journalism has on a good number of Marquette fans and in turn the number of people now holding these ill-formed opinions.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-01-2014, 11:24 AM
You cannot properly analyze the picture if you project personal beliefs into the evaluation of the situation.

Sure you can if your personal beliefs are objectively conceived which I feel like both of ours are.

Markedman
02-01-2014, 11:28 AM
Yeah I don't think we will get in either but for Hunt to say that 10-0 might not be good enough tells me he just makes it up as he goes along........That would be 14-4 in the conference and 22-9 overall......Obviously wouldn;t be a stong resume but easily in what is always a weak field at the bottom.

2013UnleashTheBeast
02-03-2014, 01:59 PM
Yeah I don't think we will get in either but for Hunt to say that 10-0 might not be good enough tells me he just makes it up as he goes along........That would be 14-4 in the conference and 22-9 overall......Obviously wouldn;t be a stong resume but easily in what is always a weak field at the bottom.

Mike Hunt has a cursory knowledge of college basketball as a whole at best, and consistently gets facts about the only subject he covers (Marquette basketball) wrong. 90% of this board could do a better job than him. He should not be the Marquette basketball beat writer under any conceivable scenario. The sad part is, he's a step up from Enlund. We got so spoiled with Rosiak. Simply put, Mike Hunt stinks at this job.

CaribouJim
02-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Mike Hunt has a cursory knowledge of college basketball as a whole at best, and consistently gets facts about the only subject he covers (Marquette basketball) wrong. 90% of this board could do a better job than him. He should not be the Marquette basketball beat writer under any conceivable scenario. The sad part is, he's a step up from Enlund. We got so spoiled with Rosiak. Simply put, Mike Hunt stinks at this job.

He's actually a good writer when he does get the facts straight. He's just too far removed from his beat writer days.

2013UnleashTheBeast
02-04-2014, 10:30 AM
He's actually a good writer when he does get the facts straight. He's just too far removed from his beat writer days.

I'm not saying anything about his writing skills in general. He is being entirely misused as the beat writer for MU. His job right now is to inform people about one subject. He is so obviously apathetic towards that subject that it leads to lazy & factually incorrect articles. That makes him bad at the job he is currently assigned to.

Markedman
02-05-2014, 12:02 PM
See this is the kind of thing that he puts in game stories that pisses me off……and he does it all the time…..I mean EVERYBODY knows that Todd has had issues…..does it have to be regurgitated every time he has a good game?

"So what's the difference for Mayo, who has been in and out of trouble for parts of his career, from game to game?"

Nukem2
02-05-2014, 12:07 PM
See this is the kind of thing that he puts in game stories that pisses me off……and he does it all the time…..I mean EVERYBODY knows that Todd has had issues…..does it have to be regurgitated every time he has a good game?

"So what's the difference for Mayo, who has been in and out of trouble for parts of his career, from game to game?"
Yes, that is really unneeded. Does not add anything to the storyline. Other than being late for a practice, he's been a "model citizen" of sorts for the past year and 1/2...

ziggysfryboy
02-05-2014, 01:33 PM
He's also OJ's younger brother. Did you know that?

Markedman
02-05-2014, 02:23 PM
and yet another blog .........http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/243732681.html