PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bond Shymansky to Iowa

MU Viking
01-31-2014, 08:22 PM
Women's volleyball coach. He's a Hawkeye so this is a dream job. Big loss for Marquette. Bond's a wonderful guy and a great coach.

IWB
01-31-2014, 08:28 PM
Huge loss for MU, but if that is his dream job, good for him - he took MU volleyball to a whole new level.

m

TedBaxter
01-31-2014, 08:31 PM
Very, very good coach. Had the recruit coming in from Minnesota and you wonder if she'll follow him. Tough loss for MU.

warriorfan4life
01-31-2014, 09:24 PM
Damn that one hurts, but it is hard to begrudge going home. Glad we have a Cords/Broeker team to make this decision, and hopefully they get it just as right as Cottingham did with Boyd.

BLT
01-31-2014, 09:30 PM
Wow. Conference realignment hurt on this one.

IWB
01-31-2014, 09:34 PM
I don't think so BLT, I think going home supersedes conference realignment.

BLT
01-31-2014, 09:39 PM
I don't think so BLT, I think going home supersedes conference realignment.

I am sure it did, but he passed on the Iowa job last time. Believe his wife is from Wisconsin too. MU's SOS should have given them a host and Top 16 seed this past year but MU was passed over. Hard to swim upstream in a very weakened new volleyball conference.

Big blow, especially with the recruiting class he had coming in. I thought he would eventually be a great AD one day.

IWB
01-31-2014, 10:11 PM
Thanks - had no idea that he turned it down on the past. I admittedly don't know much about volleyball, but I couldn't believe MU did not get a seed in the tourney.

unclejohn
01-31-2014, 11:03 PM
Yet another reason why getting rid of Cottingham was a bad idea. He hired Buzz. Then he hired Shymansky. His first year, the team went .500 and just missed the Big East tournament. Then they made it. Then they won the conference. The team has continued to improve.

I have confidence in Cords and Broeker, but it hurts trying to replace a high profile coach when we do not have a permanent athletic director.

MU Viking
02-01-2014, 07:20 AM
Both Bond and his wife are Iowa City natives I believe.

MU/Panther
02-01-2014, 07:57 AM
My wife and I have been going to volleyball the past two seasons for the first time. About 8 games per year. If volleyball was men's basketball, every would know his name. This is a huge blow to Marquette volleyball.

He is an Iowa man. Plus, the Big Ten is a superpower in volleyball. Penn State & Nebraska. Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota & Michigan State. Wisconsin came out back to make it the Final Four.

MU/Panther
02-01-2014, 08:04 AM
MU's SOS should have given them a host and Top 16 seed this past year but MU was passed over. Hard to swim upstream in a very weakened new volleyball conference.

The Big East was never strong in volleyball. It was a blow losing ND & L'ville, but MU did pick up the Jays.

I was shocked since MU did start selling tickets at the AL for MU to host the 1st/2nd rounds of the NCAA tourney. MU had a strong RPI, do to the fact their non-conference schedule was very tough. I think it was a blow to Marquette that we didn't host. Plus, MU has one of the best floor in the country, since they put that hard rubber floor down on the basketball court.

TedBaxter
02-01-2014, 10:22 AM
http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/w-volley/mtt/jason_allen_837926.html

I'd expect Allen to join Bond if he isn't a candidate for the head job here.

MU Viking
02-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Michaela Franklin was Bond's assistant at MU for his entire tenure at MU until she got the head job at UWGB last year. Don't know about leaving after one year, but she'd be a solid hire, IMO. Very competent.

MUAlphaBangura
02-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Talked to Bill Cords at the Butler game. He told me they were close to signing a new coach and had several very good candidates. Encouraging.

MUBasketball
02-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Poor Bill, probably just planned on keeping the seat warm and mingle with the boosters until a permanent AD was hired and now he has to hire a new coach. Hopefully he gets it right, Bond really turned it around.

MU/Panther
02-08-2014, 05:58 PM
I'm a new vb fan because of Bond. Went to 16 games the past two years. I pray the winning ways can keep on going!

MUAlphaBangura
02-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Need to keep this recruiting class together. Think that might be part of the urgency to secure a new coach. With the existing roster and the newcomers, this program will excel.

BLT
02-09-2014, 10:28 AM
Talked to Bill Cords at the Butler game. He told me they were close to signing a new coach and had several very good candidates. Encouraging.

Top candidates in this week for interviews. A lot of interest with the core and recruiting class, having a Top 25 ranked team, and facilities. Not a rebuilding job like Bond faced. MU sits in the middle of a volleyball recruiting field that includes Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa. Lots to sell.

Critical hire. Bond is a big loss but Danielle, Broeker and now Cords are on this. It is pretty amazing how he has stepped in seamlessly in just a few weeks.

BLT
02-11-2014, 10:44 PM
At least one top recruit released. Big loss.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlyssaGoehner

IWB
02-11-2014, 11:37 PM
I understand, but I hate it when people are released before the new coach is hired. I think that should be a requirement - meet with the new coach one time, just one time, and then if you want a release - fine, but give the new coach a chance to talk to you before you pull the plug?

MU/Panther
02-12-2014, 09:33 AM
At least one top recruit released. Big loss.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlyssaGoehner Good player and good looking! I think I'm going to cry.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-12-2014, 11:57 AM
I really hope whomever we get in, it's soon enough to try to get Goehner to recommit. Seems unlikely, though, how often does a university let someone out of their LOI only to have them resign another?

MU/Panther
02-12-2014, 12:01 PM
I really hope whomever we get in, it's soon enough to try to get Goehner to recommit. Seems unlikely, though, how often does a university let someone out of their LOI only to have them resign another? I've heard this morning Goehner and another recruit is going to Iowa.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-12-2014, 12:16 PM
Boyfriend is Tyus Jones. Why couldnt Bond/Buzz come up with a packaged deal??

TedBaxter
02-12-2014, 03:20 PM
They could probably get ex-UW coach. Pete Waite. if they wanted. His dad is an MU alum.

Former MU coach Laura Farina(?) is the associate coach at Minnesota.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-12-2014, 05:32 PM
I've heard this morning Goehner and another recruit is going to Iowa.

Damn you, Bond Shymansky! **Shakes fist at the sky**

MU/Panther
02-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Why does my post get taken away about the hiring process?

MU/Panther
02-12-2014, 06:38 PM
I had a follow up on this from my source, but it keeps on getting deleted. Well, let's hope for the best.

MUBasketball
02-12-2014, 06:57 PM
I had a follow up on this from my source, but it keeps on getting deleted. Well, let's hope for the best.

I'm intrigued...what have you heard?

MU/Panther
02-12-2014, 07:02 PM
I'm intrigued...what have you heard?
Someone I know who works with the vb team said they are not close to a new hire. That keeps on getting deleted.

IWB
02-12-2014, 07:14 PM
That is not why it keeps getting deleted. Please check your inbox.

MUBasketball
02-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Well hopefully they get it right regardless.

MU/Panther
02-12-2014, 07:21 PM
That is not why it keeps getting deleted. Please check your inbox.

I did before and I checked it just now. My inbox is empty.

BLT
02-13-2014, 08:36 PM
I understand, but I hate it when people are released before the new coach is hired. I think that should be a requirement - meet with the new coach one time, just one time, and then if you want a release - fine, but give the new coach a chance to talk to you before you pull the plug?

I hear you, but Bond leaving late makes it tough on the recruits. Sounds like she is torn about MU situation and the academic opportunity versus volleyball. Some buzz about a hire tomorrow potentially in advance of National Marquette Day? Maybe a chance to rerecruit her if settled. Right now it is between Minn and Iowa it sounds.

http://www.mnvolleyballhub.com/news_article/show/349230?referrer_id=354141

MU/Panther
02-13-2014, 08:41 PM
Glad she had a nice quote about MU.

TheSultan
02-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Someone on Scoop just posted a link here:

http://www.higheredjobs.com/search/details.cfm?JobCode=175857504&Title=Head%20Women%27s%20Volleyball%20Coach

With the implication that Marquette may have hired Ryan Theis from Ohio. Madison native...UWM grad.

http://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/w-volley/mtt/ryan_theis_348501.html

MUBasketball
02-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Someone on Scoop just posted a link here:

http://www.higheredjobs.com/search/details.cfm?JobCode=175857504&Title=Head%20Women%27s%20Volleyball%20Coach

With the implication that Marquette may have hired Ryan Theis from Ohio. Madison native...UWM grad.

Hmmm, doesn't seem too hard to connect the dots. Looks like the search is over?

MU/Panther
02-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Ryan Theis
From Madison, Wis. Alumni of UWM Panthers

MUfan12
02-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Ohio U. confirmed on twitter that he is leaving for MU. Glad they moved quickly!

MU/Panther
02-14-2014, 12:04 PM
The Ohio University volleyball team earned a No. 23 NCAA attendance ranking after averaging 1,719 fans per game during the 2013 season.

MUBasketball
02-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Ohio Volleyball's Theis Leaving For Marquette

By

Seth Austin

Dateline

Athens, OH

Updated Fri, Feb 14, 2014 12:48 pm

Photo Credit:

ohiobobcats.com

Update 12:42 p.m.: Ohio Athletic Director Jim Schaus released a statement through the Ohio Athletics Twitter account.

"Ryan has done a tremendous job during his six seasons. He will be missed. I'm happy for him to be able to go back to his hometown. Over the past decade, we have built a national level program and are committed to its future success. I am confident that we will attract and hire a high caliber coach who will continue to lead us to excellence." - Jim Schaus

MU/Panther
02-14-2014, 12:13 PM
I just looked at Ohio's schedule from last season and they had a solid non-conference schedule. Highlighted by winning at #8 Oregon.

Ohio University Women's Volleyball is one of the most consistently successful and competitive teams in the nation. 2013 MAC Regular Season and Tournament Champions · In the past 11 years: 8 MAC Regular Season Titles, 8 MAC Tournament Titles, and 9 NCAA Championship Appearances · Multiple Top-40 NCAA Rankings · 5 NCAA Tournament Wins · 7 AVCA All-Americans · 9 MAC Players of the Year · 7 MAC Tournament MVPs · 57 All-MAC Honors · 42 Academic All-MAC

MUAlphaBangura
02-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Someone I know who works with the vb team said they are not close to a new hire. That keeps on getting deleted.

Time for a new source Panther! :D

MU/Panther
02-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Time for a new source Panther! :D It's MUPanther! :D

My source does know the ends, but I trusted in what you said and I don't even know who you are! I like the hire!

My source which is a she, said she likes the hire as well. She is worried about players leaving. Also said, "So he literally came in on Tuesday or Wednesday/ whenever we last emailed. He was hired and accepted on the spot".

MUAlphaBangura
02-14-2014, 12:56 PM
It's MUPanther! :D

My source does know the ends, but I trusted in what you said and I don't even know who you are! I like the hire!

My source which is a she, said she likes the hire as well. She is worried about players leaving. Also said, "So he literally came in on Tuesday or Wednesday/ whenever we last emailed. He was hired and accepted on the spot".

On paper, I like this hire also. Given that he spent time in the area previously, maybe that takes the " I'm going home to my dream job" out of the equation. Time to circle the wagons and keep current and future players committed!

MU/Panther
02-14-2014, 01:05 PM
I really like Ohio's non-conference schedule. Some might say well he won in a mid-major league.

Ohio beat #8 Oregon, #21 WKU, Cincinnati, Dayton, UNLV, Virginia & Marland. Lost to #24 UNC and #10 Michigan.

dw3dw3dw3
02-14-2014, 01:23 PM
He's a good guy, know him well. Played for UWM club team (setter) 96-00. Was well respected.

MU/Panther
02-14-2014, 01:44 PM
http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/021414aaa.html

Markedman
02-14-2014, 02:13 PM
So somebody lied to you.......:D

MU/Panther
02-14-2014, 02:54 PM
So somebody lied to you.......:D Not my words, but no. I don't think she has all of her facts correct. :confused:

IWB
02-14-2014, 03:52 PM
First off, those posts were getting deleted for a different reason.

Next - he wasn't lied to, that was pretty much it. from what I heard, they brought in the first candidate and he wasn't qualified. Then this guy came in, not only had a great resume but felt he was a great fit and they immediately made the move.

Talked to someone in athletics who said they are very excited about this hire, said he is a great guy, great resume and a great fit. I asked about losing recruits and was told in that sport everyone has recruits that are available.

Sounds like a home run.

IWB
02-14-2014, 04:49 PM
That wasn't it, I will e-mail you again. Tried a few times...must be because my inbox was full again that it wouldn't send.

MU/Panther
02-14-2014, 06:38 PM
That wasn't it, I will e-mail you again. Tried a few times...must be because my inbox was full again that it wouldn't send. I got your message on my notebook. When I went to my computer, it was gone. I sent you one back, so I hope it worked. I understand! :o

BLT
02-14-2014, 06:44 PM
Absolutely great hire. First, he will build on Bond's success. Second, he is very offensive minded which is a perfect fits to the current players and recruits. Third, he is known as a recruiter, which MU sits right in the middle of a triangle of talent, plus he open ups Ohio. Fourth, he knows MU and fits in perfectly. Fifth, he is an experienced head coach who has always won and advanced in the NCAA's. Six, he knows. And has roots in Milwaukee. Seven, he is a salesman like Bond which will build interest and fans.

That said, you have to love MU and Bill Cords. By all accounts this was settled Wednesday. Ohio made this announcement, had posted the job, their communication was lined up--both externally and with the players. Then MU made their announcement. That is the class way to hire a coach from another school so not to penalize the departed school twice with disruption...the coach leaving and the uncertainty left to the athletes.

Compare that to the B1G schools. Leak the coach news days before the official announcement, leave the recruits and current students hanging as the other school is scrambling for messaging, start talk of stealing the recruits. Some have class, others don't.

That said, two classy B1G school coaches gave permission to use their quote supporting the MU hire on the press release.

MU/Panther
02-14-2014, 07:07 PM
Ohio average 1,700 fans per game. Let's hope the MU VB fans base can keep on growing!

MU/Panther
02-16-2014, 03:18 PM
https://twitter.com/MarquetteVB/status/434847370178592769/photo/1

So, where is Autumn Bailey?

MUAlphaBangura
02-16-2014, 06:12 PM
https://twitter.com/MarquetteVB/status/434847370178592769/photo/1

So, where is Autumn Bailey?

C'mon man. That's conspiracy theory stuff. Highly doubtful she would leave mid-semester. Would not be good for her if she did so. Did she not show because she is leaving the team and transferring at the end of the semester? Maybe she left to play professionally! :cool:

MU/Panther
02-16-2014, 07:17 PM
Just asked a question. Nothing else, nothing more.

unclejohn
02-16-2014, 10:04 PM
I spoke to Bill Cords about the hire. He said he really wanted to be here, and this is his dream job, like Iowa is Schmansky's dream job. Cords says the girls really like him. Maybe he will lose a player or two. It happens when coaches change. But he'll get some as well. It worked well for Buzz.

MU/Panther
03-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Michaela Franklin who left MU to be the Head Coach at Green Bay, is joining Bond at Iowa.
http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/022514aaa.html

Does Iowa pay that much money?

TedBaxter
03-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Theis brought his Ohio University assistant with him and she has Chicago area ties.

MU/Panther
03-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Theis brought his Ohio University assistant with him and she has Chicago area ties.

MU has another one.
http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/030314aaa.html