PDA

View Full Version : Buzz' Coaching

Gato78
01-31-2014, 11:45 AM
I thought last night was the best job Buzz has ever done coaching at MU. His defensive scheme to limit touches by Cotton was well executed, starting with the press at the beginning of the game. They kept switching their ball screen approach and really had Providence confused. I think the starting lineup and subsequent line changes all contributed. Moreover, the plan to wear them out because of the short bench really bore fruit in the last 4 minutes. Could have handled the press better but I think that was all on the execution end. I know Buzz to be a good coach but his effort last night might be the best I have seen.

MU Viking
01-31-2014, 11:49 AM
I agree, Gato, and made this point to my friend at the game. Mixing it up defensively and even lineup-wise were excellent twists. Providence seemed out of whack all first half. I could have done without the drought in the second half, but felt Buzz's coaching was great.

Down the stretch, Davante was totally blanketed but they still found ways to get it to him enough to keep control of the game.

Watching Buzz in this one, he was extremely intense. He's always intense, but this was even more than usual. You could tell this was a very big game for us, just as every other one will be for the rest of the season.

Gato78
01-31-2014, 11:56 AM
I agree, Buzz seemed to take it up a notch last night.

MUfan12
01-31-2014, 12:12 PM
Their ball screen coverage was excellent. It also hurt them a bit on the defensive boards. But, I was happy with the way they played.

I'm sure they'll see this on film, but Derrick has a bad habit of picking his dribble up in the same area of the backcourt. Happened a couple of times, and led to that travelling call.

MUAlphaBangura
01-31-2014, 12:14 PM
I agree, Buzz seemed to take it up a notch last night.

Plenty of hand over his mouth moments last night!!!

Nukem2
01-31-2014, 12:23 PM
Good nite for Buzz. Though he did a couple lineups between 17:02 and 11:38 that were not the best and contributed to PC's comeback.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-31-2014, 12:36 PM
I'm still not a big fan of the frequent subbing - I sort of get why he did it against Providence's lack of depth - but I don't think this is something that should be done with regularity - just makes it so tough for guys to get into the flow. Playing multiple guys multiple minutes is one thing, but constant subbing is another thing - just not a fan of it.

I did like the diamond and 1 token press - took Prov out of their flow. Imo it also got our athletes feeling more comfortable and free flowing (if that makes sense) as did our propensity to push the ball which I loved. Just because you push the ball and don't come away with a bucket doesn't mean it was a bad thing - a lot of good can come from a controlled break. Thought all of our guys were outstanding at running the floor along with ball handlers keeping their head up looking for a sideline or cross court pass to continue to put the defense on their toes.

I was still a bit baffled by the amount of minutes Jake received and like Nuk didnt like a few of the lineups during the bad 0-16 stretch.

kneelb4zerg
01-31-2014, 12:42 PM
I'm still not a big fan of the frequent subbing - I sort of get why he did it against Providence's lack of depth - but I don't think this is something that should be done with regularity - just makes it so tough for guys to get into the flow. Playing multiple guys multiple minutes is one thing, but constant subbing is another thing - just not a fan of it.

I did like the diamond and 1 token press - took Prov out of their flow. Imo it also got our athletes feeling more comfortable and free flowing (if that makes sense) as did our propensity to push the ball which I loved. Just because you push the ball and don't come away with a bucket doesn't mean it was a bad thing - a lot of good can come from a controlled break. Thought all of our guys were outstanding at running the floor along with ball handlers keeping their head up looking for a sideline or cross court pass to continue to put the defense on their toes.

I was still a bit baffled by the amount of minutes Jake received and like Nuk didnt like a few of the lineups during the bad 0-16 stretch.

He did this a ton last year too. Sort of what you have to do when -- as he said -- the best offensive players aren't the best defensive players, and vice versa.

MUfan12
01-31-2014, 01:17 PM
Good nite for Buzz. Though he did a couple lineups between 17:02 and 11:38 that were not the best and contributed to PC's comeback.

I understood why he did what he did there... my only critique would be having Juan out there with the freshman. Would have rather seen Jamil.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-31-2014, 03:29 PM
I understood why he did what he did there... my only critique would be having Juan out there with the freshman. Would have rather seen Jamil.

Yup. I said something as soon as I saw those five on the floor, and after the immediate turnover against the press and struggles on the next possession, expected Buzz to change it up. Still floored that those same 5 came back out of the timeout.