PDA

View Full Version : 3 Point FG Defense

Nukem2
01-28-2014, 10:47 AM
In BE play, opponents have made 62 0f 155 3 point attempts, or 40.0%. At the same time, MU is 32 of 114 or 28.1% In BE play, MU has been outscored by a total of 27 points. Does Buzz rely on help defense too much allowing too many open treys....?

Markedman
01-28-2014, 12:20 PM
When you play Gardner and Otule together and your defense gets into rotation it will be very hard for those guys to recover. To be fair..part of the reason for our poor stats is almost certainly because we have played 5 of our 7 games against Creighton, Nova, Seton Hall, Xavier and Georgetown …those are the 5 best 3 point shooting teams in the conference.

Our overall fg percentage is 3rd in the conference…….pick your poison….

Creighton, Seton Hall and Nova shoot and make lots of 3’s against pretty much everybody.

Nukem2
01-28-2014, 12:34 PM
When you play Gardner and Otule together and your defense gets into rotation it will be very hard for those guys to recover. To be fair..part of the reason for our poor stats is almost certainly because we have played 5 of our 7 games against Creighton, Nova, Seton Hall, Xavier and Georgetown …those are the 5 best 3 point shooting teams in the conference.

Our overall fg percentage is 3rd in the conference…….pick your poison….

Creighton, Seton Hall and Nova shoot and make lots of 3’s against pretty much everybody. MU certainly did nothing to stop those teams from 3.

Markedman
01-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Nova did nothing to stop Creighton either and they have a great defense. MU lacks quickness on the perimeter as we all know.

Pretty hard to take away the 3 point shot when somebody wants to shoot them.

Sometimes you just have to hope they miss. Creighton got lots of great looks against Providence and only made 4 of 19....against Nova they made 21 of 35.

I thought quite a few of Nova's 3's were really deep..... and pretty well defended

I was much more troubled by our inabilty to stop dribble penetration and back door cuts.

MU certainly did nothing to stop those teams from 3.

ziggysfryboy
01-28-2014, 01:18 PM
MU does the fly out at a 3 pt shooter. that leaves the defender out of rebounding position for the long miss. never understood that.

MUAlphaBangura
01-28-2014, 02:03 PM
MU does the fly out at a 3 pt shooter. that leaves the defender out of rebounding position for the long miss. never understood that.

Often thought about that myself. How many times do you actually see a 3 point shot blocked. Just get a hand in their face, make the shot as difficult as possible and block the shooter out.

Goose85
01-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Tough to defend the 3 against teams like Creighton and Nova who have multiple 3 point shooters.

Easy to defend MU who generally just has one on the floor.

Markedman
01-28-2014, 02:36 PM
I think the coaches want the shot to be challenged......might be a good question to ask Buzz but if the players are running to find the shooter(which can happen when they are in rotation) I think the coach wants them to run at the shooter and contest.

If a player stopped and just put a hand up my guess is Buzz would yank him.....Crisco might correct me if I'm wrong....

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-28-2014, 02:42 PM

Great point. It drives me nuts to see a guy fly out to get a hand in the face of the shooter and arrive too late so not only does the shooter get a clean look but also has the opportunity to follow his shot as his defender careens on by.