PDA

View Full Version : Where do players get better?

MUAlphaBangura
01-26-2014, 03:17 PM
With all the discussion about our starting guards not being good enough, and needing to let the bench guys get more minutes, I thought it would be interesting to get everybody's take on where players get better. My personal belief is guys get better in practice. Many,many hours spent perfecting their games. Yes, you can't replace the feeling of going out onto the court with live bullets flying, but I guess I will trust the Coach's decision to play guys based on how they have executed in practice. If they aren't doing it in practice, how can you expect them to execute in a game? And do you really think that John Dawson getting say, 6-10 more minutes per game will make him that much better as some suggest? It's only a few minutes, so I struggle to think that he will be better because of that court time. I know he will get better with the hours and hours of work he puts in during non-game time practice. Thoughts?

TheSultan
01-26-2014, 03:23 PM
I think Dawson getting 6-10 more minutes per game actually makes Derrick a better player.

But I do think that the answer is both. I think being in practice and working on your skills are important, but I do also think that experiencing the emotions, speed, physicality, etc. of a game can only be experienced in game situations.

warriorfan4life
01-26-2014, 03:26 PM
For the most part in practice, especially when you a coach like Buzz that is excellent at developing talent. I think we have a bunch of young guys, especially Burton, JJJ, and Duane Wilson, that one day have a chance to play in the NBA. However, they will not get there strictly on talent, and will need the coaching and overall development of their games that Buzz provides. If they work as hard as their predecessors (Wesley, Lazar, Jimmy, Jae, DJ-O), and become smart, efficient, high effort players, they can go on to make a whole of money playing at the highest level. I think that Buzz's development gives you that extra boost compared to many other programs. However, you have to be patient, trust in the coach, and be willing to work really hard and often not see immediate results (at least when it pertains to PT). It's not an easy road to success here, but it's a worthwhile investment in the long run as they gain that extra little bit of development needed to separate themselves from their peers (and it's a very thin margin between being a 4th-5th starter in the NBA and not making the league).

ChitownAl
01-27-2014, 09:23 PM
Great, thoughtful question MUAlpha. I'm surprised there isn't more response. I think the "Iversons" know the answer but don't want to admit it.

Players get better in practice. Reps for skills. Reps for running plays, and the basics from which plays are built upon such as pick & rolls. This is especially true if you run a motion offense as MU does much of the time so players learn how to spot opportunity and capitalize. Reps for Defensive skills and rebounding. As players move up the competitive pyramid (increasingly much fewer but much more talented and athletic players to compete against), practice becomes even more important for improvement because better team execution of better individual game skills are necessary. Instead of getting away with just being a more talented or physically gifted athlete. The game situations are handled by scrimmages where coaches can stop play and have "teaching" moments. The old, old coaching saw is "you'll play as good as you practiced that week." Grade and HS athletes may be able to get away with poor practices and still get PT, but I don't believe (IMO) it works that way in a D1 sport.

I'm trying to focus on your question but there is one corollary, players get better in the off-season. Simple, they can practice and focus on individual reps more, unencumbered by game scouts, learning new plays and other in-season necessities. This is why it is tough for frosh to transition - they have had less reps and are learning a much more intensive system, and may not even be with their new teammates in the Summer.

For the "Iversons" {Practice? I mean what are we talking about - it's only practice!) who want MU Coaches to play Frosh [and Mayo], the only benefit about more game minutes as a learning experience is that you are probably going to see better players than you playing against in your team practices. The "Iversons" just want the new kids to play even though they can't win the job in practice.

Nukem2
01-28-2014, 09:18 AM
Some guys are just players. I always remember watching Bo Ellis and Maurice Lucas years ago in those pre-season open practices on Friday and Saturday nights. Hank and Rick would run drills and then the team would scrimmage after Al arrived on the scene with his cohorts. Luke and Bo really dogged it during the drills. When the scrimmage started, they picked up their activity level but still not great. When the lights turned on at the Arena for real games, total different story. They suddenly became real dudes.

ChitownAl
01-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Some guys are just players. I always remember watching Bo Ellis and Maurice Lucas years ago in those pre-season open practices on Friday and Saturday nights. Hank and Rick would run drills and then the team would scrimmage after Al arrived on the scene with his cohorts. Luke and Bo really dogged it during the drills. When the scrimmage started, they picked up their activity level but still not great. When the lights turned on at the Arena for real games, total different story. They suddenly became real dudes.

Nuke, great memories and I understand what you mean by "Some guys are just players." But that was 40 years ago. The game has changed. Could anyone else on that team beat out Luke and Bo? Maybe Luke and Bo could have been even better if they practiced harder. Again, if Dawson or Mayo or JJJ were daily kicking DeWil's and JT's butt in practice, do you really think that they wouldn't be getting more minutes? Give the coaching staff a little more credit.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-28-2014, 02:53 PM
Nuke, great memories and I understand what you mean by "Some guys are just players." But that was 40 years ago. The game has changed. Could anyone else on that team beat out Luke and Bo? Maybe Luke and Bo could have been even better if they practiced harder. Again, if Dawson or Mayo or JJJ were daily kicking DeWil's and JT's butt in practice, do you really think that they wouldn't be getting more minutes? Give the coaching staff a little more credit.

That's a great point, and I think often times it's lost on people that NOBODY on this board wants MU to win more than Buzz and the coaching staff, their careers depend on them winning games. Due to that I trust their opinions on who plays vs. who doesn't. I think Buzz has earned that much from us.

As for the main question I'm not sure there is one answer to where players get better. I think it's a combination of a lot of the things people have mentioned like practice, film study, going the extra mile on your own time, game experience, etc... Not sure you can point to any one thing.

Nukem2
01-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Oh, I agree with you. Just pointing out history. Obviously, the world has changed. Though, some guys just are gamers.

MUMac
01-28-2014, 04:16 PM
To me, you get better in the offseason. That is where you work on your deficiencies and improve on your strengths. You can refine your game and work on team aspect of the game. Practice is where you develop the attitude and will develop portions of the team aspect and fit in. During the season, your improvement will come more from individual training and work with the S&C coach.

Markedman
01-28-2014, 04:21 PM
That would be my #1 answer as well Mac. Hard to make big jumps in season......need time to mature, work on skills, and get stronger......as Buzz says confidence comes from your work.

To me, you get better in the offseason. That is where you work on your deficiencies and improve on your strengths. You can refine your game and work on team aspect of the game. Practice is where you develop the attitude and will develop portions of the team aspect and fit in. During the season, your improvement will come more from individual training and work with the S&C coach.

Nukem2
01-28-2014, 05:21 PM
That would be my #1 answer as well Mac. Hard to make big jumps in season......need time to mature, work on skills, and get stronger......as Buzz says confidence comes from your work.
I would also add the individual workouts that the coaches can do with the players in September.