PDA

View Full Version : Wright praises MU fans

Markedman
01-26-2014, 12:59 PM
Always liked him as a coach

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/241982831.html?utm_content=buffere7451&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

MU/Panther
01-26-2014, 02:44 PM
The crowd was great!

Phantom Warrior
01-26-2014, 02:52 PM
He's right. I can't stand people on the East Coast. They are so intolerant of others who don't live on the East Coast.

TedBaxter
01-26-2014, 02:55 PM
The crowd was good except those that continue to "socialize" before the game and during halftime making them late for both tipoffs. You can't do that at the Riverside Theatre and expect to be let in while the show is going on and the exodus prior to halftime was ridiculous.

Nukem2
01-26-2014, 04:11 PM
The crowd was good except those that continue to "socialize" before the game and during halftime making them late for both tipoffs. You can't do that at the Riverside Theatre and expect to be let in while the show is going on and the exodus prior to halftime was ridiculous.
Yes that exodus was amazing. As the half ended, I left my aisle seat adjacent to an exit to go to the men's room located right at that exit. The men's room was crowded with guys 4 deep. Have never experienced that before.

ValiantSailor
01-26-2014, 04:47 PM
He's right. I can't stand people on the East Coast. They are so intolerant of others who don't live on the East Coast.

Hilarious!

VS

MUAlphaBangura
01-26-2014, 05:47 PM
yes that exodus was amazing. As the half ended, i left my aisle seat adjacent to an exit to go to the men's room located right at that exit. The men's room was crowded with guys 4 deep. Have never experienced that before.

tmi!!!!!!!

MU/Panther
01-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Oh thank you! I thought it was just me that thought that.

bleedbluegold03
01-26-2014, 08:27 PM
team didn't deserve the crowd staying based on the OT performance. not to mention they had only gotten there on a very bad charge call.

warriorfan4life
01-26-2014, 08:33 PM
team didn't deserve the crowd staying based on the OT performance. not to mention they had only gotten there on a very bad charge call.

Marquette and Buzz deserve better fans then you.

kneelb4zerg
01-26-2014, 08:38 PM

I thought you said yesterday you were going to stop posting? Do us all a favor and get lost.

The Reptile
01-26-2014, 08:44 PM
Hi loved his comment, but let's put it into context. Have you ever watched a game at a Philadelphia venue? It's probably the most hostile environment for visiting teams and their fans. Anyplace outside of Philly is a location where he finds the fans as nice.

MUBasketball
01-27-2014, 07:38 AM

Wow, what a ridiculous comment.

MayorBeluga
01-27-2014, 07:41 AM

It's been what, two or three years since IWB started this board? Not bad that it took this long until the "ignore poster" feature had to be utilized. Plunk.

milkbone
01-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Didn't know there was an ignore button, thanks Mayor, Double Plunk

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-27-2014, 01:57 PM

I also wasn't a fan of the exodus that occurred when we were down 6 with under a minute to play. There was a stream of fans leaving in my section. Most of them seemed to make it out before Mayo tied it, but some did come back and clog the aisles and block views. I really wish they had just gone. Didn't need them.

bleedbluegold03
01-27-2014, 02:12 PM
I don't think this was the case for everyone, but for me getting up and leaving was a showing that I was disappointed in the result which in so many ways was a microcosm of the season. Fans have very few moments during a season to express their opinion of players, coaches, and teams that are positive or negative.

Sometimes it's Buzz subbing a player out after a good night with a few seconds left to give him a deserved standing O. Other times, it's stating that you're displeased with the performance by leaving early. Once Jamil fouled out, everyone knew this game was over (barring another Mayo take over). I am not going to talk about tactics or players on the team because I am done with that for the season.

I'm mostly displeased because this season for me was an opportunity missed, which is partly my fault because I bought into the coaches poll. Especially after having a season last year where we won the vast majority of the 50-50 games, it's challenging looking at this team in crunch time just fold like a house of cards. I think you can support a team fully and still not be completely ok with what's going on, but that's just my perspective.

01-27-2014, 02:33 PM
I don't think this was the case for everyone, but for me getting up and leaving was a showing that I was disappointed in the result which in so many ways was a microcosm of the season. Fans have very few moments during a season to express their opinion of players, coaches, and teams that are positive or negative.

Sometimes it's Buzz subbing a player out after a good night with a few seconds left to give him a deserved standing O. Other times, it's stating that you're displeased with the performance by leaving early. Once Jamil fouled out, everyone knew this game was over (barring another Mayo take over). I am not going to talk about tactics or players on the team because I am done with that for the season.

I'm mostly displeased because this season for me was an opportunity missed, which is partly my fault because I bought into the coaches poll. Especially after having a season last year where we won the vast majority of the 50-50 games, it's challenging looking at this team in crunch time just fold like a house of cards. I think you can support a team fully and still not be completely ok with what's going on, but that's just my perspective.

First off, while not a Liverpool fan, I am a huge proponent of the Liverpool method of support. You NEVER, EVER boo your team. These guys are giving their all for you, they deserve your support, even when things go wrong. If you want to express your displeasure, write a letter or make a phone call. Contact Buzz, or someone in administration. But the time for it is not when these guys are on the court, sweating and giving their all for your enjoyment.

As far as once Jamil fouled out, a number of people felt that way at the end of regulation, and those are the ones I'm referring to (though my thoughts hold for people who left before OT ended as well). Barring another Mayo takeover, you say? You just saw one. Why couldn't another happen?

Don't get me wrong. I get disappointed. I'm disappointed Vander left. I'm disappointed no one has been able to step up and play well enough on the defensive end to take more minutes from the starting backcourt. I'm disappointed Jamil and Mayo haven't yet found consistency. But I have unconditional love for my team. When they are out there, giving their all, they are going to get my support. And Saturday was a great basketball game between two good basketball teams. We came up short. That doesn't mean it wasn't a fantastic effort or that Marquette isn't worthy of support, it just means that on that night, the #4 team in the country was a little bit better. And while I wish we were ranked #4 and this looked like a Final Four year for us (though as an unconditional fanatic and optimist for this team, I still think it's possible) I'm still going to cheer even if we come up short.

MUBasketball
01-27-2014, 02:38 PM
And while I wish we were ranked #4 and this looked like a Final Four year for us (though as an unconditional fanatic and optimist for this team, I still think it's possible)

Good post that I agree with...with the exception of the quoted part above. Pass what you're smoking and drinking.

I can't stand when people leave early. At the time, it was about 3 pm on a Saturday afternoon and people are splitting with 5 minutes to go in the game. WTF? If you got an armful of toddlers, OK. Otherwise, what's the f'ing hurry? I'm quite anal about getting into games plenty early, and I have never once left a game before the final buzzer. The season flies by as it is, I can't imagine just getting up and leaving with the game still going on. I hope everyone that left was stuck outside and couldn't get back in.

I certainly don't enjoy the struggles this season, but then again I enjoy seeing who the true fans are. Suggesting that fans should leave early due to the OT performance is so beyond ridiculous I'm about punching my own head in rage. I'm cheering these guys louder than ever this year...Lord knows these guys suddenly have plenty of critics once they have some adversity from the so called "fans".

Look, Villanova is a really solid team. They won in a hell of an exciting game, and the better team won. Yet, MU took them to OT and fought like hell. How in the hell can anyone (especially a supposed true fan of the team) endorse fans leaving early during that game? So basically that means win and we'll support you, but if you lose then I'm disgusted and leaving early? Blows my damn mind. Spoiled and entitled mindset.

IWB
01-27-2014, 02:47 PM
First off, while not a Liverpool fan, I am a huge proponent of the Liverpool method of support. You NEVER, EVER boo your team. These guys are giving their all for you, they deserve your support, even when things go wrong.

Exactly, but the HUGE difference is that these are college kids, not professionals. They are busting their asses, put in more time per week than you do at your job, and you are displeased with them so you walk out on them? Why am I not surprised?

01-27-2014, 02:53 PM
Good post that I agree with...with the exception of the quoted part above. Pass what you're smoking and drinking.

It would take a few breaks and the right draw, but I've seen enough deep runs from low seeds the past few years (Butler, VCU, George Mason, Davidson) that with luck and this team getting collectively hot, it could happen. It's not likely, but also not impossible. ;)

bleedbluegold03
01-27-2014, 02:55 PM
I respect the hell out of the effort that they give, and I rarely, if ever boo my own team, but you're looked on in the eyes of the world as an adult at the age of 18. CBB and CFB are professional sports in every way this side of (all of) them getting paid.

I can respect the effort, but it's hard to defend the results. If you're bad at whatever you're doing, I think you should be held accountable. If someone were to post the discrepancy in sales that we have seen this season against preseason expectations, jobs would be on the line. And rightly so. Obviously I don't think scholarships should be revoked, but I am not allowed to be displeased with the performance?

MUfan12
01-27-2014, 03:03 PM
I left early too. Not afraid to admit it. Feel free to question my fandom all you want.

We had 25 Nova fans/students in our section that were obnoxious, and starting to get hostile at the end of the game. When Mayo missed a three, and Archie was going to the line up 6 with 30 seconds left, I had enough. I was frustrated, and figured it'd be best to take myself out of that situation. Obviously I was stunned when I saw they tied it, and watched OT at a bar.

Would I do the same thing again? Probably.

MUBasketball
01-27-2014, 03:06 PM
I respect the hell out of the effort that they give, and I rarely, if ever boo my own team, but you're looked on in the eyes of the world as an adult at the age of 18. CBB and CFB are professional sports in every way this side of (all of) them getting paid.

I can respect the effort, but it's hard to defend the results. If you're bad at whatever you're doing, I think you should be held accountable. If someone were to post the discrepancy in sales that we have seen this season against preseason expectations, jobs would be on the line. And rightly so. Obviously I don't think scholarships should be revoked, but I am not allowed to be displeased with the performance?

I am going to scream!!!!!!

OK so win = cheer, lose = boo? You are the definition of a fair-weather, bandwagon fan if that's the case.

And as has been mentioned, if they are your team, you should never boo them (well, unless they are out there playing like a Steve Lavin coached team...in which case, boo on :D).

And I am so damn sick and tired of people pointing to the pre-season rankings. THOSE MEAN NOTHING!!!!!!!!! It takes coaches quite a while once practice starts to figure out how good their team is...yet we take the rankings of teams from people on the outside as gospel? Garbage. It's all guess work that simply fuels conversation at the start of the season. Fine, you want to stick with that argument. What about the past how many years when Marquette has exceeded preseason expectations? All that goodwill is wiped away after one disappointing season? They have to meet or exceed these arbitrary expectations every single year or you will boo the team and leave early? Even when they battle and play well and take a Top 10 team to overtime? I cannot stand fans like you.

IWB
01-27-2014, 03:12 PM
I left early too. Not afraid to admit it. Feel free to question my fandom all you want.

We had 25 Nova fans/students in our section that were obnoxious, and starting to get hostile at the end of the game. When Mayo missed a three, and Archie was going to the line up 6 with 30 seconds left, I had enough. I was frustrated, and figured it'd be best to take myself out of that situation. Obviously I was stunned when I saw they tied it, and watched OT at a bar.

Would I do the same thing again? Probably.

12 - You explained that you were frustrated, had some obnoxious Nova fans and decided to take yourself out of the situation. While I don't like walking out on my team, you explained why and I understand that.

Here is the difference.... "for me getting up and leaving was a showing that I was disappointed" Getting up and leaving to intentionally show a bunch of college kids that you are disappointed in their performance is a pretty big difference in my mind. It sounds like, when you left, you weren't doing it to "show someone".

Markedman
01-27-2014, 03:21 PM
I have never booed a team I root for. To me silence for a home team is as bad as it should get...especially when we are talking about college teams.....

Boo the other team...boo the other coach..boo the refs......

I think the team should always feel that the home crowd has their back...even when they are struggling...maybe even especailly when they are struggling.....

It's easy to be a fan when everything is going great........

bleedbluegold03
01-27-2014, 03:27 PM
I am going to scream!!!!!!

OK so win = cheer, lose = boo? You are the definition of a fair-weather, bandwagon fan if that's the case.

And as has been mentioned, if they are your team, you should never boo them (well, unless they are out there playing like a Steve Lavin coached team...in which case, boo on :D).

And I am so damn sick and tired of people pointing to the pre-season rankings. THOSE MEAN NOTHING!!!!!!!!! It takes coaches quite a while once practice starts to figure out how good their team is...yet we take the rankings of teams from people on the outside as gospel? Garbage. It's all guess work that simply fuels conversation at the start of the season. Fine, you want to stick with that argument. What about the past how many years when Marquette has exceeded preseason expectations? All that goodwill is wiped away after one disappointing season? They have to meet or exceed these arbitrary expectations every single year or you will boo the team and leave early? Even when they battle and play well and take a Top 10 team to overtime? I cannot stand fans like you.

I didn't boo. I attend or watch every game. I have 4 Marquette things on my desk at work. I can name a recruit for the 2017 class. I visit this board daily in or out of season. I am not sure how that's fair weather.

Setting aside preseason rankings, 11-9 is disappointing. It is under performing from where anyone would've predicted in September. As a paying customer of Marquette Basketball I think I at least can have a negative opinion of how the season has played itself out.

I will continue to not boo. I will continue to attend or watch every game. Again, I am not sure how that's fair weather

kneelb4zerg
01-27-2014, 03:30 PM
I didn't boo. I attend or watch every game. I have 4 Marquette things on my desk at work. I can name a recruit for the 2017 class. I visit this board daily in or out of season. I am not sure how that's fair weather.

Setting aside preseason rankings, 11-9 is disappointing. It is under performing from where anyone would've predicted in September. As a paying customer of Marquette Basketball I think I at least can have a negative opinion of how the season has played itself out.

I will continue to not boo. I will continue to attend or watch every game. Again, I am not sure how that's fair weather

But you left early as a way to "send a message" to the team about your "disappointment." Same thing.

MUfan12
01-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Interesting debate... I certainly won't boo a college kid on my team. But, I tend to think that if someone paid for that ticket, they can leave when they want. I'd rather have someone quietly leave early, than boo or heckle the players.

I have a much bigger problem with people who come and go during play, or linger in the aisles and block my view of the floor.

bleedbluegold03
01-27-2014, 03:32 PM
But you left early as a way to "send a message" to the team about your "disappointment." Same thing.

That's your opinion

kneelb4zerg
01-27-2014, 03:34 PM
That's your opinion

Why do people boo their own team, if not to express disappointment in the team's performance? You just said that you left the game before it was over as a way to signal your disappointment with the team's performance.

IWB
01-27-2014, 03:35 PM
I have a much bigger problem with people who come and go during play, or linger in the aisles and block my view of the floor.

Irritating beyond belief. I still say the best is either UW or Louisville (can't remember) where they close the curtains and do not let people come in until there is a stop in play.

bleedbluegold03
01-27-2014, 03:37 PM
Irritating beyond belief. I still say the best is either UW or Louisville (can't remember) where they close the curtains and do not let people come in until there is a stop in play.

especially with a lot of tvs in every entrance, that would be a great adoption by the BC

bleedbluegold03
01-27-2014, 03:38 PM
Why do people boo their own team, if not to express disappointment in the team's performance? You just said that you left the game before it was over as a way to signal your disappointment with the team's performance.

Is a riot and a sit in the exact same? Just because both are rooted in the same feeling, doesn't automatically make them the same

kneelb4zerg
01-27-2014, 03:41 PM
Is a riot and a sit in the exact same? Just because both are rooted in the same feeling, doesn't automatically make them the same

So you are trying to defend your conduct because it was like a "silent protest?" You said you were trying to send a message, doesn't matter how you did it.

bleedbluegold03
01-27-2014, 03:45 PM
So you are trying to defend your conduct because it was like a "silent protest?" You said you were trying to send a message, doesn't matter how you did it.

I don't even know what you're contesting any more. Everyone's allowed follow their teams how they want. Depending on who you ask, certain ways are not as good as others.

Unless you're willing to upload your autobiography "Kneel: The Life of a True Fan," there is no known bible for how to be the best, most loyal fan. I'll leave you to your own way and feel free to continue to critique mine.

kneelb4zerg
01-27-2014, 03:48 PM
I don't even know what you're contesting any more. Everyone's allowed follow their teams how they want. Depending on who you ask, certain ways are not as good as others.

Unless you're willing to upload your autobiography "Kneel: The Life of a True Fan," there is no known bible for how to be the best, most loyal fan. I'll leave you to your own way and feel free to continue to critique mine.

You're the one that started this with your inane distinction between "walking out" and "booing."

You're right, you can be whatever type of fan you profess to be, but it doesn't make you any less of a jerk based on the choices you make.

bleedbluegold03
01-27-2014, 03:51 PM
You're the one that started this with your inane distinction between "walking out" and "booing."

You're right, you can be whatever type of fan you profess to be, but it doesn't make you any less of a jerk based on the choices you make.

I'm just saying, when you finish your book, I'll be the first to buy a copy. I clearly have a lot to learn.

ziggysfryboy
01-27-2014, 04:07 PM

Kohl Center does that.

Of course, it takes awhile for the corpses in the lower blowl to walk down the aisle and get in their seats.