PDA

View Full Version : Great show

WarriorOMalley82
01-22-2014, 08:31 PM
Thx for doing this a good show. Great interviews. BTW that Pat from Chicago really knew his stuff.

Gato78
01-22-2014, 08:33 PM
I was just happy Pat from Chicago didn't start talking about the Jay Cutler signing.

Goose85
01-22-2014, 08:37 PM
I was just happy Pat from Chicago didn't start talking about the Jay Cutler signing.

Not enough time for that, it was only an hour and a half.

WarriorOMalley82
01-22-2014, 08:41 PM
Really an informative show.

CaribouJim
01-22-2014, 08:47 PM

I saw that "Pat from Chicago" guy stumbling around at Hinkle Fieldhouse Saturday. Surprised he could put together a cogent thought.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-22-2014, 08:50 PM
GREAT show!! Abosolutely fills a void for MANY of us!

Goose85
Other than the obvious ending of the game, and seeing Warrior O'Malley, how was Hinkle Caribou?

WarriorOMalley82
I saw that "Pat from Chicago" guy stumbling around at Hinkle Fieldhouse Saturday. Surprised he could put together a cogent thought.

It only seemed like stumbling to you because you were wavering from your before the game start at a bar. I in fact was walking straight as you were walking like one on a ship in a storm.

Gato78
01-22-2014, 08:52 PM
He was fortunate to be steadied by the supermodels on each arm.

WarriorOMalley82
01-22-2014, 08:53 PM
Not Caribou, but Hinkle is a very neat old arena bench seating everywhere, old and very nostalgic. I am glad I went this year as I understand they are doing a major renovation at the end of this year.

ziggysfryboy
01-22-2014, 09:59 PM
Caught the end w mark miller. Good stuff!

Gato78
01-22-2014, 10:36 PM
As good as Mark was, Brad and Sandy were better--and Mark was damn good. Podcast is worth a listen. SOme of the future shw could be really good. They have some pretty cool ideas.

bleedbluegold03
01-22-2014, 10:54 PM
Just a thought, would this be a good avenue Jim for current players to get a "safe" interview under their belts?

I know as part of the full development Buzz has them do mock interviews to increase their abilities. After hearing how well spoken Cohen was I would love to know if hearing from players would be a possibility?

Again tho, 100% on that podcast. Damn good work

CaribouJim
01-22-2014, 11:28 PM
Not Caribou, but Hinkle is a very neat old arena bench seating everywhere, old and very nostalgic. I am glad I went this year as I understand they are doing a major renovation at the end of this year.

Honestly, I was kind of disappointed. Let me start with outside Hinkle. No bars within walking distance. No parking to speak of - you have to park in the neighborhood surrounding the place and you can get caught in kind of and endless loop if you don't exit in the right direction.

At the entrance the ticket takers could not have been nicer - teased us when they saw us wearing MU stuff and in general people were very nice - no one getting in our face when they started their comeback and as they were pulling away in OT. No game program though which I thought was weird.

As far as the arena itself, it didn't do it for me. Had the same vibe and smell as the CYO I played in as a kid. Good bone structure, but just plain old. You had to go down a couple ramps to use the john for instance. I was hoping for that special aura, but it wasn't there for me. Good to have an arena like that I guess in the league, but IMO it needs a face-lift and good to know that one is coming in the near future.

Moe and Johnny's on College Ave. was a great joint to hang though both before and after the game - even had a disagreement as to who was up next for the pool table - had an Avalanche flashback there for a second.

TheSultan
01-23-2014, 09:05 AM
I pretty much had similar thoughts about Wrigley Field the first time I went there. Yeah it's OK in a "old time baseball" kind of way. But to me it just seemed old and cramped.

dubs98
01-23-2014, 09:17 AM
surprised to hear this regarding Hinkle. I have been talking it up to friends. I love the old building feel and the atmosphere. I think it was when they hit a three to tie it up at 42 or 44 that the place just erupted and that is as loud as a place as I have been in. Maybe it is just me, but I love the gyms where everyone is on top of the court. With that said, I also love Wrigley, Fenway, and a lot of older more traditional buildings. I understand the revenue part of it, but if that was not an issue I would take hinkle over the Bradley center in a heartbeat. Caribou, too bad I missed you at moe & johnnys. Was there after the game for a while. would have loved to put a face to a name. maybe next time.

MUfan12
01-23-2014, 09:43 AM
I loved it. The place is a total barn. Can't wait to see what they do with the renovations.

The Butler fans were great. Friendly, knowledgeable crowd. I'd go back there for a game again.

CaribouJim
01-23-2014, 09:51 AM
surprised to hear this regarding Hinkle. I have been talking it up to friends. I love the old building feel and the atmosphere. I think it was when they hit a three to tie it up at 42 or 44 that the place just erupted and that is as loud as a place as I have been in. Maybe it is just me, but I love the gyms where everyone is on top of the court. With that said, I also love Wrigley, Fenway, and a lot of older more traditional buildings. I understand the revenue part of it, but if that was not an issue I would take hinkle over the Bradley center in a heartbeat. Caribou, too bad I missed you at moe & johnnys. Was there after the game for a while. would have loved to put a face to a name. maybe next time.

We were on the opposite side of the bar from the entrance both before and after the game - about 15 of us from the class of '80. $4 pitchers were tough to beat. Took us 5 1/2 hours to get back to Chicago with 65 closed on top of the snow - brutal.

Goose85
01-23-2014, 09:54 AM
I've been to both Wrigley and Fenway. I think they were built in the same year or very close to it.
Fenway is awesome as they have continually made improvements, but all while keeping the old ballpark feel. Very clean, new looking - kind of like American Restoration on a ballpark. Wrigley is a dump, unless in the last couple years they have done a lot of renovation. Seems the Cubs have chosen a different route than the Red Sox. Again, I haven't been to Wrigley in a few years so it may have changed.

You can have the old stadium / ball park feel without the place just being old and not kept up / updated. Fenway has done a great job of that, and hopefully Hinkle does the same as I look forward to seeing MU play there.

CaribouJim
01-23-2014, 10:00 AM
I pretty much had similar thoughts about Wrigley Field the first time I went there. Yeah it's OK in a "old time baseball" kind of way. But to me it just seemed old and cramped.

I was actually going to use Wrigley as an analogy. Hard to beat a nice summer day or evening at Wrigley and it too has the good bone structure, but needs a major face lift as well - the concourses smell. Local politics, surprise, are slowing down the planned renovation.

TheSultan
01-23-2014, 10:03 AM
I was actually going to use Wrigley as an analogy. Hard to beat a nice summer day or evening at Wrigley and it too has the good bone structure, but needs a major face lift as well - the concourses smell. Local politics, surprise, are slowing down the planned renovation.

Yeah I kind of wonder when all is said and done, if the Ricketts are going to wish they would have just packed up and moved to the suburbs. There was no shortage of suitors, and I think at the end of the day would have been more lucrative.

Gato78
01-23-2014, 10:04 AM
Wrigley is a dump. The first few times I was there, it was cool. The more I went, the less I liked it. I think the best way to look at it is it is a great, one-time historical venue. If you are a season ticket holder, I think it would be a pain. My in-law Cubs fans actually prefer Miller Park--though they get into that nostalgic Wrigley crap to justify its current state.

CaribouJim
01-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Yeah I kind of wonder when all is said and done, if the Ricketts are going to wish they would have just packed up and moved to the suburbs. There was no shortage of suitors, and I think at the end of the day would have been more lucrative.

The afternoon guys on The Score 670 in Chicago had a discussion on that very subject yesterday. They were on the side of the Ricketts' telling the city to f_ _ _ off and go to the burbs. They made some very good points including restricted night games, but other than the Braves new move, going to the burbs is going against grain. I for one wouldn't want them to move - like being able to hop on the Blue Line, switching to the Red and not having to drive after having more than a few before, during and after the games - same with Sox, Bulls and Hawks games.

dubs98
01-23-2014, 10:44 AM
We were on the opposite side of the bar from the entrance both before and after the game - about 15 of us from the class of '80. $4 pitchers were tough to beat. Took us 5 1/2 hours to get back to Chicago with 65 closed on top of the snow - brutal.

Yeah, I think I saw you guys. We were sitting up on the platform/raised area away from the entrance (bunch of 35-38 year olds). My wife and I had MU gear on, but most of the rest were butler fans (family who live a few blocks from butler). I saw the pictures of 65. That looked awful and I was glad to have a warm place to stay in indy to avoid that mess:) Glad you made it back safely.