PDA

View Full Version : Urgent advice for Buzz Williams

TulsaWarrior
01-21-2014, 04:31 PM
I have been reluctant to give Coach Buzz any advice but after watching the Georgetown game I feel compelled to send him a message. I believe strongly that the coaching staff would be improved measurably with the addition of Davante Gardner's mother. She was the lady in the stands yelling "automatic." Can you imagine the impact with her on the bench? This lady is clearly a force of nature and I feel strongly she would have a positive impact on the freshman.

What this team has been missing is a mother. The closest right now is Jerry Wainwright and it wouldn't be fair to ask him to wear a dress.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Thanks, Tulsa. Gave me a legitimate smile and chuckle. :cool:

GOMU1104
01-21-2014, 04:34 PM
She does enough coaching from the seats behind the bench.

Had a front row seat for it last night.

TulsaWarrior
01-21-2014, 05:39 PM
Maybe she should just work practices and study hall?

The Reptile
01-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Maybe she should just work practices and study hall?

If we were like other programs she probably would or another high paying job in the administration.

TulsaWarrior
01-22-2014, 07:38 AM
No knock to this Marquette parent. She clearly loves her son and wants what's best for him. Jim has said some extremely positive things about her.

On the other point Rep made -- I still remember the leap Danny Manning's Dad made from driving a truck to assistant coach, at Kansas. At Oral Roberts University back in the 80s two highly rated recruits came to ORU after their dad, a California high school coach, was hired as an assistant, at the Tulsa school.

TheSultan
01-22-2014, 07:53 AM
On the other point Rep made -- I still remember the leap Danny Manning's Dad made from driving a truck to assistant coach, at Kansas.

That's not quite the whole story. His dad played under Larry Brown in the ABA and was an assistant coach elsewhere prior to truck driving. (And my recollection was that he decided to leave basketball because he could make more money truck driving.) And Brown took Manning with him when he went to the Spurs and ended up scouting for them until he retired.

Now I'm not saying that Brown's goals were completely above board, but it wasn't a completely out-of-the-box hiring. The guy knew basketball.

EDIT: Here is an SI Vault article about Ed Manning:

http://si.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1121385/index.htm

Looks like KU was "encouraging" Brown to hire a minority candidate which limited the pool as well. So let me put it this way, Brown hired the guy who could land him one of the best players in the country...but it was at least justifiable on paper.

IWB
01-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Don't forget when Kansas outbid UNC on coaching jobs.

Mario Chalmers had his schools narrowed down (MU was included). His dad was his high school and AAU coach in Alaska. His dad was also originally from North Carolina. The basketball coaching job at his dad's old high school in North Carolina "suddenly opened up". His dad, who only had 5 years of coaching experience, flew to North Carolina to interview (because you know so many high schools fly their coaching applicants in from Alaska). He was all set to accept the job and out of the blue Kansas offered him a job as their Director of Basketball Operations.

His dad held the position for three years before retiring. Why retire after only three years? Well, Mario went pro after his junior year!

Nukem2
01-22-2014, 12:00 PM

Mario Chalmers had his schools narrowed down (MU was included). His dad was his high school and AAU coach in Alaska. His dad was also originally from North Carolina. The basketball coaching job at his dad's old high school in North Carolina "suddenly opened up". His dad, who only had 5 years of coaching experience, flew to North Carolina to interview (because you know so many high schools fly their coaching applicants in from Alaska). He was all set to accept the job and out of the blue Kansas offered him a job as their Director of Basketball Operations.

His dad held the position for three years before retiring. Why retire after only three years? Well, Mario went pro after his junior year!Its sooo hard to connect the dots.....;)

GOMU1104
01-22-2014, 12:32 PM

His dad held the position for three years before retiring. Why retire after only three years? Well, Mario went pro after his junior year!

If there's nothing illegal about it, why not do it?

TheSultan
01-22-2014, 12:54 PM
It actually is against NCAA rules. But it is very hard to enforce. This is another example IMO of something that is against the rules that I would rather not be. I mean, if a school wants to use its limited number of coaching positions to hire an otherwise substandard parent, high school coach, AAU coach, etc., I really don't care.

IWB
01-22-2014, 01:06 PM
That is where the rule has changed. You can no longer hire someone for a non-coaching position. So, you could burn one of your valuable assistant coaching positions, but you couldn't hire someone into the Director of Opps spot, Video Coordinator, Player Development etc.

TheSultan
01-22-2014, 01:08 PM
That is where the rule has changed. You can no longer hire someone for a non-coaching position. So, you could burn one of your valuable assistant coaching positions, but you couldn't hire someone into the Director of Opps spot, Video Coordinator, Player Development etc.

OK thanks for the clarification. Actually a good compromise. It doesn't keep out the truly deserving candidates.

GOMU1104
01-22-2014, 01:59 PM
That rule changed a few years ago. I think a few head coaches have hired guys to be full time assistants (3 max allowed) to get a guy. So they're taking the risk.

Didn't we almost do it with the coach from Morgan Park?

TulsaWarrior
01-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Years ago didn't Rod Grosse's best friend get a full ride as a student manager?