PDA

View Full Version : Big East Expansion Question....

IWB
01-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Looking around the nation at potential Big East expansion and see that both St. Louis and UMass are ranked. St. Louis continue to prove they have what it takes.

I bring up UMass because, well, we have waaaayyyy too many teams with blue & white as their colors.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-20-2014, 10:56 PM
umass has football right?

I like the ten teams and dont think you make the move until you have to (Fox forces the leagues hand or Stl creates a sustainable program and you just cant afford to keep them out). They arent going anywhere right?

TulsaWarrior
01-20-2014, 10:57 PM
St. Louis would be a good pick, in a large metro area. UMass might be a travel pain because of the airport issue.

MUBasketball
01-20-2014, 10:59 PM
umass has football right?

Indeed they do, and they are terrrrrrrrible at it.

warriorfan4life
01-20-2014, 11:00 PM
Exactly what Windy said. I love that Nova will get a chance for revenge in Omaha after Creighton's mass destruction of them, and hell I want to do some dirty things to Butler in the BC. Keep the round-robin format going and crown a true champion.

Awilhelmscream
01-20-2014, 11:04 PM
Indeed they do, and they are terrrrrrrrible at it.

I was about to comment that they may just be looking for a reason to kill it off and a BR invite may give them that reason. If they don't want to drop FB they should seriously consider it...

MUFLA
01-21-2014, 12:37 AM
I like UMass. Good bball history & within original Big East / east coast footprint.

Mucrisco
01-21-2014, 01:00 AM
Wichita St.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-21-2014, 05:31 AM
Pretty sure UMass just put the big bucks in to go D1 in football. I don't think they're looking for a reason to drop it.

MU88
01-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Wait till Rick's kids depart. SLU roster's talent level drops significantly in the next year. Crews is not a good recruiter. Tough years ahead.

UMass has football, so no, they are not an option.

Wichita State is a traditionally strong program. Good fan support. But, the location stinks. Poor market in the middle of nowhere. 3rd option in a small state.

Stay at 10. No must have candidates at this point in time.

MUFLA
01-21-2014, 10:25 AM
Pretty sure UMass just put the big bucks in to go D1 in football. I don't think they're looking for a reason to drop it.

Agreed, but unless they get an AAC offer, they probably stay put in the A10/MAC hybrid.

KMWTRUCKS
01-21-2014, 10:39 AM
I like 10 but Foxsports is paying a boat load of Cash to us considering the content we are giving them. They will want more teams and bigger markets to convince carrier's to pay them. I still like ST Louis. In a good Conf with a good Coach they could be solid. I also like VCU and 3rd would be Dayton. IMO. I think we are going to 12 teams at some point.

MU88
01-21-2014, 10:55 AM
FoxSports doesn't need the inventory. They sold a bunch of games this season. No one is paying big bucks for teams like VCU, Dayton and SLU. FoxSports could buy the entire Atlantic 10 package for less than the $5 million per team that they are paying the BE. More teams means more bad bball. Not what the BE or FoxSports needs.

MU/Panther
01-21-2014, 12:03 PM
UMASS play in the MAC for football. Just hired a new head coach.

TheSultan
01-21-2014, 12:23 PM
FoxSports doesn't need the inventory. They sold a bunch of games this season. No one is paying big bucks for teams like VCU, Dayton and SLU. FoxSports could buy the entire Atlantic 10 package for less than the $5 million per team that they are paying the BE. More teams means more bad bball. Not what the BE or FoxSports needs.

Depends. If they get more games, they have a bigger set to choose from, and can sell off even more.

That being said, I thought a year ago that the BE would inevitably expand. Now I am not so sure. Unless it increases their per school revenue, I see no logical reason for it to occur.

MUBasketball
01-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Depends. If they get more games, they have a bigger set to choose from, and can sell off even more.

That being said, I thought a year ago that the BE would inevitably expand. Now I am not so sure. Unless it increases their per school revenue, I see no logical reason for it to occur.

I hope it doesn't, having a true round robin schedule is awesome.

TheSultan
01-21-2014, 12:36 PM
BTW, there is no way that UMass...or UConn...or Cincy is going to be dropping football anytime soon. The fact that schools are trying to upgrade their programs from FCS to FBS, and that not a single FBS program from low level conferences have moved back down to FCS despite the financial environment we have lived in over the past five years, should tell you that major football is a financial game that most schools win.

ValiantSailor
01-21-2014, 01:01 PM
...should tell you that major football is a financial game that most schools win.

Still appears to me that the wheel is still spinning...the bets are still being placed. Until it stops, no one knows who wins and who loses.

VS

TheSultan
01-21-2014, 01:05 PM
Still appears to me that the wheel is still spinning...the bets are still being placed. Until it stops, no one knows who wins and who loses.

VS

Yeah I can agree with that. It is also relatively easy for schools to drop the sport if they are loses gobs of money.

Goose85
01-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Yeah I can agree with that. It is also relatively easy for schools to drop the sport if they are loses gobs of money.

Sometimes, even if football is a money losing proposition, bringing many alum and fans to your campus on a football weekend can be the cost / benefit to having football. Of course it all depends on how much you lose.

IWB
01-21-2014, 01:46 PM
If you lose money on the product, but overall University donations go up.....

ValiantSailor
01-21-2014, 03:58 PM
If you lose money on the product, but overall University donations go up.....

Revenue has many sources...as do expenses.... The reason for accountants.

VS