PDA

View Full Version : G-Town Tonight

Nukem2
01-20-2014, 09:10 AM
Kind of a crossroads game for two struggling teams. Will be a tough matchup for MU given the strength of G-Town's starting backcourt in Smith-Rivera and Starks. If our backcourt can play reasonably well, perhaps our frontcourt can take charge in this game? Will be interesting. Also, we'll get a look at former MU commit Aaron Bowen.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-20-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm expecting a loss in this one. We just haven't been able to put together 40 minutes on the road yet, and I think it will take gaining some confidence at home before we show it on the road. I do not, however, think tonight is quite make-or-break. We can lose tonight and Saturday and still be in the hunt for an at-large bid (though with zero margin for error).

MU_Iceman
01-20-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm expecting a loss in this one. We just haven't been able to put together 40 minutes on the road yet, and I think it will take gaining some confidence at home before we show it on the road. I do not, however, think tonight is quite make-or-break. We can lose tonight and Saturday and still be in the hunt for an at-large bid (though with zero margin for error).

It really is sad that this far into the season we are discussing whether or not this team has a pulse for the NCAA tourney right now. That should have been the LAST topic we were discussing at this part of the season. Anything tourney related this far into the season should have revolved around whether they were at a #2 seed or #3 seed level like many expected/thought they would be. The fact they are THIS close to not getting in is quite frankly pathetic.

I do understand that it really is about just getting in, but Let's be honest, there are VERY few (if any) that didn't think they would get in when the season started, and essentially that the season they'd be basically just playing for seeding.

01-20-2014, 10:33 AM
It really is sad that this far into the season we are discussing whether or not this team has a pulse for the NCAA tourney right now. That should have been the LAST topic we were discussing at this part of the season. Anything tourney related this far into the season should have revolved around whether they were at a #2 seed or #3 seed level like many expected/thought they would be. The fact they are THIS close to not getting in is quite frankly pathetic.

I do understand that it really is about just getting in, but Let's be honest, there are VERY few (if any) that didn't think they would get in when the season started, and essentially that the season they'd be basically just playing for seeding.

Yeah, but it is what it is. I thought they'd be playing for seeding, but this team hasn't been what we thought they'd be. Jamil has disappeared when we needed him most. Todd has been on and off more than a bathroom light switch in a Mexican restaurant. Jake has played far too many minutes for a guy we thought would be a spot player as a former walk-on. This team has problems, so it is where it is, fighting for its tourney life in January.

The silver lining is that this team still has that potential we saw in the preseason. Jamil CAN play like an All-American when he's on. Todd can get hot. Deonte has shown he can be an offensive spark plug. Derrick has shown he won't be the guy that loses us games. And Davante can be dominant when he can play down low. This team could still make a deep run if they get in. I know...we don't look like we'd match up with a top team right now, but can you imagine this team getting hot and getting into that 7-10 seed range? What 1 or 2 seed wants to see a hot Buzz Williams-coached Marquette team in their second game?

Will they reach their potential? Who knows. Right now the answer looks like it would be no. But for some reason, I still think they'll be dancing when all is said and done. I have faith that they will start to figure it out. Maybe not tonight, maybe not Saturday, but starting January 30, I think we are going to go on a run. Get some confidence, win some games (including a few people won't expect), and come into MSG on the right side of the bubble.

warriorfan4life
01-20-2014, 10:43 AM
Yeah, but it is what it is. I thought they'd be playing for seeding, but this team hasn't been what we thought they'd be. Jamil has disappeared when we needed him most. Todd has been on and off more than a bathroom light switch in a Mexican restaurant. Jake has played far too many minutes for a guy we thought would be a spot player as a former walk-on. This team has problems, so it is where it is, fighting for its tourney life in January.

The silver lining is that this team still has that potential we saw in the preseason. Jamil CAN play like an All-American when he's on. Todd can get hot. Deonte has shown he can be an offensive spark plug. Derrick has shown he won't be the guy that loses us games. And Davante can be dominant when he can play down low. This team could still make a deep run if they get in. I know...we don't look like we'd match up with a top team right now, but can you imagine this team getting hot and getting into that 7-10 seed range? What 1 or 2 seed wants to see a hot Buzz Williams-coached Marquette team in their second game?

Will they reach their potential? Who knows. Right now the answer looks like it would be no. But for some reason, I still think they'll be dancing when all is said and done. I have faith that they will start to figure it out. Maybe not tonight, maybe not Saturday, but starting January 30, I think we are going to go on a run. Get some confidence, win some games (including a few people won't expect), and come into MSG on the right side of the bubble.

Glad you are sticking on the positive side Brew. I jumped off way too early last year, and Buzz worked miracles to get us to 14 Big East wins and the Elite 8. I waved the white flag myself here after Butler, as I think Buzz is out of magic pills for this season. Hope I am not foolish for doubting Buzz again, but is hard to remain optimistic after Saturday's effort.

I think we absolutely need a win Saturday though for any NCAA chances. The profile will look fairly empty without a big Nova win.

mufansince72
01-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Glad you are sticking on the positive side Brew. I jumped off way too early last year, and Buzz worked miracles to get us to 14 Big East wins and the Elite 8. I waved the white flag myself here after Butler, as I think Buzz is out of magic pills for this season. Hope I am not foolish for doubting Buzz again, but is hard to remain optimistic after Saturday's effort.

I think we absolutely need a win Saturday though for any NCAA chances. The profile will look fairly empty without a big Nova win.

Warriorfan4life - If you are raising the white flag, then I know post season chances are over! You have always been very positive and optimistic! A glass half full guy, compared to my glass half empty approach.

01-20-2014, 11:02 AM

I will say this...that Butler loss was infuriating. Mainly because we had that game by the short and curlies. It was like Louisville all over again, with the biggest difference being you could see it coming and there was enough time to actually do something about it...and no one did!

Our season will be determined in the 9 games after tonight. 6 of them are at home. The three on the road are SJU, Seton Hall, and DePaul. There are some big asks in there. 'Nova, Creighton, and Xavier all visit the BC. But if we can win 7-8 of those games, we will be right there at the end. And with Providence at home, St. John's away, and Butler at home, there's every chance we can string together 3 straight wins to get some momentum rolling.

That's what's most galling about this season. Our longest winning streak so far is 2 games. This team hasn't been able to get on a roll at all. I'd really like to see what happens if they can win a few in a row and build some confidence. Hopefully that starts soon, because February will be make or break time for this team.

kneelb4zerg
01-20-2014, 11:23 AM
I will say this...that Butler loss was infuriating. Mainly because we had that game by the short and curlies. It was like Louisville all over again, with the biggest difference being you could see it coming and there was enough time to actually do something about it...and no one did!

Our season will be determined in the 9 games after tonight. 6 of them are at home. The three on the road are SJU, Seton Hall, and DePaul. There are some big asks in there. 'Nova, Creighton, and Xavier all visit the BC. But if we can win 7-8 of those games, we will be right there at the end. And with Providence at home, St. John's away, and Butler at home, there's every chance we can string together 3 straight wins to get some momentum rolling.

That's what's most galling about this season. Our longest winning streak so far is 2 games. This team hasn't been able to get on a roll at all. I'd really like to see what happens if they can win a few in a row and build some confidence. Hopefully that starts soon, because February will be make or break time for this team.

I will try to be positive as well. The one thing I keep remembering about the pre-season luncheon was possibly an off-hand comment by Buzz that this team likely wouldn't "find itself" until February. What did he have in mind when he said that? Will it be too late by then? Or could it be that something will click and this team will run off a string of victories (perhaps winning the BET?) Who knows. But it's hard to see that happening with the performances we've seen so far.

kneelb4zerg
01-20-2014, 11:47 AM

I think you mean that you hope you DO end up looking foolish...:D

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-20-2014, 11:54 AM
The silver lining is that this team still has that potential we saw in the preseason. Jamil CAN play like an All-American when he's on. Todd can get hot. Deonte has shown he can be an offensive spark plug. Derrick has shown he won't be the guy that loses us games. And Davante can be dominant when he can play down low.

and Our longest winning streak so far is 2 games.

This fits the description of an inconsistent team and I believe they will stay inconsistent and therefore not be able to string together enough of a run to earn an at large. Also, yes it may be the silver lining but it's also what gets people (myself included) so frustrated with this team. Just kind of is what it is.

Nukem2
01-20-2014, 12:25 PM
Will be interesting to see if Jabril Trawick and Joshua Smith are available tonight......

01-20-2014, 01:13 PM
This team is wildly inconsistent. But it's not the first team under Buzz we could say that about. Most times, they figure it out in time. Will this one? I sure hope so.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-20-2014, 02:32 PM
Good point brew, I've certainly been wrong in the past (the acker/cuby team I was way wrong). Time will tell but I just don't see an ability to turn it on down the stretch here.

Halo
01-20-2014, 04:43 PM
I expect this team to lose again tonight. Why? Because they have done nothing this year to suggest otherwise. Team will be lucky to make the NIT as they clearly cannot handle any type of challenge.

Markedman
01-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Jim McIlvaine ‏@JimMcIlvaine 7m
@espnhomer just confirmed Trawick (busted jaw) and Smith (academics) are both out for Gtown. JJ is questionable for #mubb

IWB
01-20-2014, 07:47 PM
My guess is that JJ will play. He went through pre-game prep practice with the team.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-20-2014, 08:02 PM
My guess is that JJ will play. He went through pre-game prep practice with the team.

Able to play but will he play? That's the question.

IWB
01-20-2014, 08:28 PM
You know you are over-reacting when you are bitching about a no-call, then your 10 year old son says, "No dad, here is what happened........it was a good no call."
And he was right. I feel shame.

Nukem2
01-20-2014, 08:41 PM
Too many wild shots...!

01-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Derrick goes out, the offense stagnates. If he makes other guys worse, then our other point options make other guys god awful.

Did I hear right that DeWil has 4 fouls already?

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-20-2014, 08:45 PM
This is brutal

Markedman
01-20-2014, 08:45 PM
my god this is ugly

Awilhelmscream
01-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Todd's sense of spacing on offense is horrendous. He just stands right next to whomever has the ball.

MU_Iceman
01-20-2014, 08:50 PM
What the hell is Buzz doing tonight with his substitutions??

Markedman
01-20-2014, 08:51 PM
Another horrible turnover by Dawson....nobody can make a shot....Juan found his courage to take a shot again...too bad he can't hit the rim

Nukem2
01-20-2014, 08:51 PM
What the hell is Buzz doing tonight with his substitutions??
About to say the same....

Markedman
01-20-2014, 08:52 PM
A steve taylor sighting!

Nukem2
01-20-2014, 08:53 PM
About to say the same....
Guess its working now...good to see Steve...!

Markedman
01-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Our guys really have to learn to pump fake.....Taylor could have gotten a foul there....instead its a turnover

Nukem2
01-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Watching Jake, as my bro keeps telling me, if he can get open with a dribble to his right...he is automajic

IWB
01-20-2014, 09:04 PM
Steve Taylor looks rusty, but provided an instant spark to the team. Me wants some more Steve Taylor.

MUfan12
01-20-2014, 09:05 PM
What a crap call on Dawson to end the half. These refs have been letting a ton of contact go, and then they call that. Frustrating.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-20-2014, 09:07 PM
What a crap call on Dawson to end the half. These refs have been letting a ton of contact go, and then they call that. Frustrating.

Dawson was jumping/leaning into him as well. That call always goes to the offensive guy---correct call.

Nukem2
01-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Steve Taylor looks rusty, but provided an instant spark to the team. Me wants some more Steve Taylor.
Me too...! We have missed him!

Markedman
01-20-2014, 09:11 PM
I think he should take Juan's minutes....Did Derrick have 2 fouls? Dawson sure played alot of minutes.

Mark Miller
01-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Gotta get this win. A must. Keep battling, take good shots and defend. Must shore up defensive rebounding in 2nd half.

mufansince72
01-20-2014, 09:13 PM
I liked the lineup the last three minutes of the half.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-20-2014, 09:19 PM
Whet has been the reason for no Dw? Just two fouls

IWB
01-20-2014, 09:21 PM
How can a player roll over on the floor, with the ball - TWICE - and not be called for traveling?

Markedman
01-20-2014, 09:22 PM
Taylor and Dawson start the 2nd half.....

WindyCityGoldenEagle
Love this lineup bc no oxtule!!

IWB
Derrick only has one foul, don't know why the change

MUMac
01-20-2014, 09:27 PM
Derrick only has one foul, don't know why the change

I thought the offense moved better with Dawson, thus the move.

Nukem2
01-20-2014, 09:30 PM
Put Dawson back in...a huge difference!

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-20-2014, 09:31 PM
I think it usual does Mac. Comes to a hault with otule and Dw in there imo

Markedman
01-20-2014, 09:31 PM
Agree.....Steve looks like the guy from last year for the first time.....

I thought the offense moved better with Dawson, thus the move.

Markedman
01-20-2014, 09:37 PM
Buzz saw that last horrible offense set and immediatly went to Dawson...it is so obvious

MUMac
01-20-2014, 09:39 PM
Mayo comes in and has terrible D on the inbounds. Dawson get's his 4th foul because of it.

Glad to see Taylor looking good in both halves. Hopefully the knee injury is better.

Markedman
01-20-2014, 09:39 PM
The big to big offense works SO much better when its Taylor an OX instead of Chris and OX

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-20-2014, 09:40 PM
Buzz saw that last horrible offense set and immediatly went to Dawson...it is so obvious

I know I'll get bashed for anti-Dw comments but has t it been obvious for a while??

Markedman
01-20-2014, 09:40 PM
Win or lose the story of tonight is Taylor.....

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-20-2014, 09:41 PM
The big to big offense works SO much better when its Taylor an OX instead of Chris and OX

This has been a pretty obvious thing as well. Finally seeing buzz get away from oxtule and Dw.

MayorBeluga
I know I'll get bashed for anti-Dw comments but has t it been obvious for a while??

Well this is the first time Dawson has really been consistent

Markedman
Its obvious to the eye...but the stats don't back it up....Paint touches did an article on it today. Offense has been bad with Derrick but worse without him this year

RJax55
01-20-2014, 09:42 PM

He's finally seeing the light. I do not know if this team will be better with Dawson, but MU is going anywhere having Wilson playing 30+ mins game

Markedman
01-20-2014, 09:43 PM
For anyone who thinks Mayo should be starting I give you that last possession.........

MU_Iceman
01-20-2014, 09:45 PM
For anyone who thinks Mayo should be starting I give you that last possession.........

Because no one else has turned the ball over this year?? Todd is still the only one on this team that can create his own shot.

Markedman
Buzz might also have to come to grips with the idea that for this group to be successfull Chris needs to see the floor less?.......

MUMac

The whole last substitution rotation would qualify. Poor D, sloppy handle, bad decisions, poor shots. A really bad two game stretch for him.

RJax55

There's guys on Scoop that claim Mayo is good as Vander... Ah, no.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-20-2014, 09:46 PM
Well this is the first time Dawson has really been consistent

Hear ya, but it's Tough to show consistency when you never play

RJax55
01-20-2014, 09:48 PM
Buzz might also have to come to grips with the idea that for this group to be successfull Chris needs to see the floor less?.......

Chris has been making no impact in conference play

MU_Iceman
01-20-2014, 09:48 PM
Starks is throwing up garbage and it's going in. Unreal.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-20-2014, 09:52 PM
Its obvious to the eye...but the stats don't back it up....Paint touches did an article on it today. Offense has been bad with Derrick but worse without him this year

Marked - I saw the article but didnt have a chance to read it. May have shown team better with DW, but it's impossible to analyze what the team wouldve done had dawson got 30 minutes a game so it's open for interpretation and I'm in the dawson camp (have been for some time)

Markedman
01-20-2014, 09:52 PM
Georgetowns guards are really good....clearly the difference so far

Awilhelmscream
01-20-2014, 09:53 PM
Because no one else has turned the ball over this year?? Todd is still the only one on this team that can create his own shot.

If by creat his own shot you mean run around completely out of control then I agree with you. He's the one player on this time I cannot get behind being on the floor with the personnel we have on this team.

Also, here we go jacking up terrible three pointers again.

IWB
01-20-2014, 09:54 PM
When circus shots go in, things don't look good.

On Chris.....
His two best attributes are sealing the lane for players to drive and scoring in the paint.

Two problems....
No one on this team drives to the hoop successfully.
They have not been getting the ball inside the last few games.

Not defending Chris, just an observation.

01-20-2014, 09:54 PM
Lubick was tied up by 2 guys before he called that timeout. It was painfully obvious that should have been a jump ball. Another bad call that the announcers are praising.

Markedman
01-20-2014, 09:55 PM
Jamil really can't make an open 3 to save his life.......

IWB
01-20-2014, 09:55 PM
Lubick was tied up by 2 guys before he called that timeout. It was painfully obvious that should have been a jump ball. Another bad call that the announcers are praising.

Also could have been a foul as Dawson was body checked into the floor.

MUMac
01-20-2014, 09:57 PM
Also could have been a foul as Dawson was body checked into the floor.

I thought that was a foul. On the road, though, you don't get those calls. Jake needed to control the ball. He had time and just rolled it.

Markedman
01-20-2014, 09:58 PM
Starks...wow

Markedman
01-20-2014, 09:59 PM
Again win or lose I'm really happy for Steve Taylor........He has to stay in the rotation

MU_Iceman
01-20-2014, 09:59 PM
I'm not a DW fan by any stretch, but if it's not obvious where it's hurting MU with him not on the floor tonight, look at Smith-Rivera, and Starks in the 2nd half. Although Starks is hitting garbage.

IWB
01-20-2014, 10:00 PM
Agree completely Mark

IWB
01-20-2014, 10:01 PM
I know its late, but I am shocked at how many empty seats there are in the lower bowl.

01-20-2014, 10:04 PM
This just feels like a game we've conceded. We keep playing and keep it close, but this just doesn't feel like a winner. Kind of like how the Seton Hall final was close, but it never really felt like they had a chance.

Markedman
01-20-2014, 10:05 PM
MarquetteMBB ‏@MarquetteMBB 6m
With 14 points & 11 rebounds, Steve Taylor has his second double-double of the season. MU trails the Hoyas 51-46 #mubb

WindyCityGoldenEagle
Has ST really not been playing bc of his leg? I'm finding that hard to believe. Was it more to do with Buzz's lack of trust in his defense?

MUMac
Again win or lose I'm really happy for Steve Taylor........He has to stay in the rotation

You can tell, at times, the knee still bothers him. If he is healthy and can go, he gives another dimension. Makes for a nice high/low with Gardner. Both can play high and both can play low.

This team needs more than 6 from Jamil to be successful.

Nukem2
Ya know, I feel,like we've been on the road since the Ohio State game...and, we really have been. This has been the oddest, toughest schedule I can remember coming out of the chute. Lots of return games coming....

MUBB713
This just feels like a game we've conceded. We keep playing and keep it close, but this just doesn't feel like a winner. Kind of like how the Seton Hall final was close, but it never really felt like they had a chance.

They don't have a chance I don't think. Two many head scratchers of possessions.

IWB
01-20-2014, 10:06 PM
Where is the D on their guards? I know there have been a couple of circus and long distance threes, but those two have 42 points, 25 in 2nd half. Derrick is out and Jake is defending one of the forwards.

kneelb4zerg
01-20-2014, 10:07 PM
Ya know, I feel,like we've been on the road since the Ohio State game...and, we really have been. This has been the oddest, toughest schedule I can remember coming out of the chute. Lots of return games coming....

Totes agree with this.

IWB
You can tell, at times, the knee still bothers him.

It is his thigh, not his knee

MUMac
Where is the D on their guards? I know there have been a couple of circus and long distance threes, but those two have 42 points, 25 in 2nd half. Derrick is out and Jake is defending one of the forwards.

Jamil on Starks has not worked. He gets into the lane at ease against Jamil and can hit the step back 3 over him.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-20-2014, 10:11 PM
Jamil on Starks has not worked. He gets into the lane at ease against Jamil and can hit the step back 3 over him.

unfotunately nothing is working on starks

IWB
Totes agree with this.

"Totes"?

I can't decide whether to ban you or put you in my book.

MUMac
Everyone guards Starks and he still get's to the hoop with a nice assist. Frustrating to watch.

Markedman
That last play by Starks is what are team lacks....a guard that can get into the lane and get a dunk for a teammate....great play by Starks

Awilhelmscream
01-20-2014, 10:13 PM
Great play out of the TO...

MUMac
01-20-2014, 10:14 PM
What kind of a play out of a timeout was that? A long 3 from the wing by Jamil? Who has been poor from 3 the last several games. Don't understand that one.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
hit the rim, does this mean its a jump ball to GTown?

This play by play guy is absolutely horrible!!!

Markedman
So GT will get the ball now on the arrow?

01-20-2014, 10:15 PM
If they get possession, that's crap. ST Jr had the ball.

MUMac
01-20-2014, 10:15 PM
When the whistle blew, MU had possession. But the will call it a jump ball and GT get's possession.

IWB
01-20-2014, 10:16 PM
Steve Taylor had the freaking ball

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-20-2014, 10:18 PM
wtf!!!!!!!!

Awilhelmscream
Steve Taylor had the freaking ball

I quit. This is stupid. That was such a delayed call.

MUMac
Horrible officiating sequence here. They blew the call dead and MU had the ball.

MUMac
01-20-2014, 10:19 PM
Make up call.

IWB
01-20-2014, 10:21 PM
I knew that ref would call a foul on Davante before the ball came in. Davante made a comment about the possession coming out of the time out and the ref went after him. Jamil had to step between them and force the ref away, the ref was still trying to push through Jamil to get at Davante. 10 seconds later he calls a dead-ball foul on Davante? Dick.

01-20-2014, 10:22 PM
Officiating dumpster fire going on right now.

MUMac
01-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Buzz has come close to exploding over the last 30 seconds with this crew. Jamil had to step in between him a couple of times.

Awilhelmscream
01-20-2014, 10:24 PM
Officiating dumpster fire going on right now.

This is worse than a Jim Burr officiated game.

MUMac
Mayonnaise!!!

Markedman
lol...wow...way to go Mayo

01-20-2014, 10:25 PM
Wow. Never expected that. And the refs missed Jamil's double dribble. We don't deserve this one at all, but I'm still hoping we steal it.

CaribouJim
01-20-2014, 10:26 PM
Come on guys - this game could turn the season around.

Markedman
01-20-2014, 10:26 PM
Refs have fucked up so bad its almost fitting this should be in ot........

IWB
01-20-2014, 10:27 PM
I don't know about the double dribble, announcers said that too, but he dropped it trying to pick it up, so technically he did not have possession yet.

IWB
01-20-2014, 10:27 PM
How did I miss adding that to the inappropriate words list?

IWB
01-20-2014, 10:28 PM
Will these guys ever call an over-the-back on Georgetown?

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-20-2014, 10:29 PM
anyone else still not want Dawson?

Markedman
01-20-2014, 10:29 PM
Have a game young DAWSON!!!

IWB
01-20-2014, 10:30 PM
Remember when we thought John Dawson would be the only newcomer that would not have an impact this season?

Sorry John.

I thought most of regulation, Dawson was showing why Derrick is getting minutes. But hot damn is he hot in OT. The past couple minutes have been by far the best he's played all season.

RJax55
Nice d on Starks too!!

MUMac
01-20-2014, 10:31 PM
anyone else still not want Dawson?

Not sure I saw anyone who did not want Dawson. He had his moments and his flaws this season. Developed nicely as the season wore on. This is certainly a coming out party for both he and Taylor.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
kid looks the part. IWB, can Duane play off guard next year? Or is he a true pg?

IWB
Nice d on Starks too!!

And Jake has shut down Smith-Rivera too.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-20-2014, 10:32 PM
Not sure I saw anyone who did not want Dawson. He had his moments and his flaws this season. Developed nicely as the season wore on. This is certainly a coming out party for both he and Taylor.

Huh? Really? There were a good amount of people (probably the majority) that thought DW should continue to get 30 mins a game

RJax55
01-20-2014, 10:33 PM
I thought most of regulation, Dawson was showing why Derrick is getting minutes. But hot damn is he hot in OT. The past couple minutes have been by far the best he's played all season.

MU wouldn't score 45 points if Derrick played in the 2nd half

IWB
01-20-2014, 10:33 PM
Nice TO by Buzz, Davante was asking for a breather.

Markedman
01-20-2014, 10:34 PM
Not sure why Buzz subed there.....man

MUMac
Huh? Really? There were a good amount of people (probably the majority) that thought DW should continue to get 30 mins a game

Doesn't mean they did not want Dawson. As I stated, he had his moments and had his flaws. He has developed as the season progressed. I am not sure he would have had this kind of game earlier. He is more comfortable, confident and understands the college game better. What is not to see in that?

IWB

Yes, because of Derrick defense and John's lack of defense, but John is coming through tonight.

01-20-2014, 10:37 PM

That doesn't mean anyone didn't want Dawson, just that it seemed he wasn't ready. And he didn't look it. Wasn't playing the point when he was in, didn't get the defense, he wasn't ready. He's been better tonight, much better in overtime, but that doesn't mean he was ready a month ago.

MUMac
01-20-2014, 10:37 PM
Last year that would have been a flagrant foul. Glad they cleaned that rule up this year.

IWB
01-20-2014, 10:38 PM
Interesting that Mayo was the one that got MU to OT, but has yet to see the floor in OT.

01-20-2014, 10:38 PM
Big test for Dawson here.

IWB
01-20-2014, 10:39 PM
John F'ing Dawson!!!!!!!!

01-20-2014, 10:40 PM
And he passes with flying colors.

CaribouJim
Off of starks

IWB
First time I have ever seen a player demand for a monitor replay and get the refs to comply.

MUMac
01-20-2014, 10:41 PM
Was that Gardner's mom and family chanting automatic?

IWB
Davante's mom leading the auto-matic cheer? He better hit them both!

What a ridiculously unexpected turnaround. After this, 6 of our next 9 at home.

Awilhelmscream
First time I have ever seen a player demand for a monitor replay and get the refs to comply.

I noticed that too. He isn't f*ing Lebron, how and why did that happen?

Markedman
01-20-2014, 10:42 PM
Was that Davante's mom? lol

01-20-2014, 10:43 PM
Is Mayo getting punished for taking a 3 before there was a paint touch on the tying possession? Surprised we haven't seem him in OT.

MUMac
01-20-2014, 10:43 PM
Sultan, I hope you stayed up for this one! It was fun to watch!

MUMac
01-20-2014, 10:45 PM
Is Mayo getting punished for taking a 3 before there was a paint touch on the tying possession? Surprised we haven't seem him in OT.

Mayo played in OT. After Thomas took one in the jaw. With the d that Thomas played, though, hard to take him off the court in OT.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-20-2014, 10:46 PM

hit a big shot but he had a horrible game---didnt deserve to be in there in ot imo. Jake and Dawson played too well to take out.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-20-2014, 10:47 PM
hell yes boys!! Nice win and way to not lay down when it wouldve been very easy to do so

Nukem2
01-20-2014, 10:50 PM
hit a big shot but he had a horrible game---didnt deserve to be in there in ot imo. Jake and Dawson played too well to take out.
I'm sorry, but you guys are way too hard on Todd....... (:

mufansince72
01-20-2014, 10:50 PM

I didn't! I thought he should get 10-15 in a defensive role like he was the last two years.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-20-2014, 10:53 PM
I'm sorry, but you guys are way too hard on Todd....... (:

nuk, he kind of is what he is --- streaky. He either has it or he doesnt. Tonight he didnt have it, against Butler he didnt have it and against SH he had it. It's typically all or nothing with him. But kudos to the kid for hitting a big shot after struggling the entire game.

Gato78
01-20-2014, 10:59 PM
Key moment: Davante's mom going with the "automatic" chant. Davante 8-8 from the line. Thanks mom.

Mark Miller
01-20-2014, 10:59 PM
Hard not to smile after that one. Dawson and Taylor? Who saw that coming?

Awesome victory.

Markedman
01-20-2014, 11:01 PM
I also want to compliment Burton......His body language on the bench was outstanding.....even though he wasn't playing...great to see

ziggysfryboy
01-20-2014, 11:03 PM
I also want to compliment Burton......His body language on the bench was outstanding.....even though he wasn't playing...great to see

his mirror of one of Dawson's 3s from the bench was awesome.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-20-2014, 11:03 PM
Burton is going to be real good. He reminds me of Jerel when he was a pup --- just playing at a million miles an hour and always in attack mode even if it's forcing a shot. The game will slow down for him and it will come.

MUBasketball
01-20-2014, 11:16 PM
his mirror of one of Dawson's 3s from the bench was awesome.

Haha, yes it was!

bleedbluegold03
01-20-2014, 11:29 PM
Buzz has finally chosen to change his formula. I guess the worst loss in his tenure over half way through the season is what finally did the trick.

Trades the consistency of Wilson for the upside of Dawson. The known in Anderson for the wildcard in STJ. Both paid off in spades...

MUBasketball
01-20-2014, 11:40 PM
The known in Anderson for the wildcard in STJ. Both paid off in spades...

Dont agree with this - even after just 1 yr I dont think there was anything "wildcard" about Steve. His injury caused the lack of PT so far. But, I do wonder what prompted Buzz to play him today. Is his injury fully healed? I can only assume so or I doubt he would play him. If it is healed, why didnt he play earlier (like Saturday, for example)?

Juan is clearly out of the rotation at this point.

kneelb4zerg
01-20-2014, 11:41 PM
Buzz has finally chosen to change his formula. I guess the worst loss in his tenure over half way through the season is what finally did the trick.

Trades the consistency of Wilson for the upside of Dawson. The known in Anderson for the wildcard in STJ. Both paid off in spades...

And the work the players had to put in to earn the time has nothing to do with it. Whatever idiot.

IWB
01-20-2014, 11:45 PM
Juan has been hobbled by an injury. Not serious, but something that has been plaguing him. Not saying that was the reason, just pointing it out.

warriorfan4life
01-20-2014, 11:48 PM
Juan has been hobbled by an injury. Not serious, but something that has been plaguing him. Not saying that was the reason, just pointing it out.

He has not looked the same since the ankle injury against Ball State.

mufansince72
01-21-2014, 12:14 AM
He has not looked the same since the ankle injury against Ball State.

There was a home game about 5 games ago where Juan was flying all over the place. I even sent him a tweet congratulating him on the hustle! He has not looked the same since. Injury could explain it.

Mucrisco
01-21-2014, 12:28 AM
That doesn't mean anyone didn't want Dawson, just that it seemed he wasn't ready. And he didn't look it. Wasn't playing the point when he was in, didn't get the defense, he wasn't ready. He's been better tonight, much better in overtime, but that doesn't mean he was ready a month ago.

Disagree. He finally got his opportunity tonight. He plays 5 minutes against Butler, then gets the majority tonight. Are you telling me that he had an amazing turnaround in one practice?

bleedbluegold03
01-21-2014, 12:33 AM
And the work the players had to put in to earn the time has nothing to do with it. Whatever idiot.

It's not because they gave more effort, or worked harder. Buzz changed the formula, it clearly worked.

By your argument it took ONE PRACTICE for Derrick Wilson's minutes go from 40 to 12 and Dawson's from 5 to 31? ONE DAY healed STJ's injury to the point he can't play Saturday and is good for 23 minutes less than 72 hours later?

01-21-2014, 05:26 AM
Disagree. He finally got his opportunity tonight. He plays 5 minutes against Butler, then gets the majority tonight. Are you telling me that he had an amazing turnaround in one practice?

So...did you read my post? Because you really didn't address anything I said, despite quoting me.

Mucrisco
01-21-2014, 07:49 AM
So...did you read my post? Because you really didn't address anything I said, despite quoting me.

Actually, I did address it. If you can't see that Dawson was outplaying Wilson during regulation, then I can't really help you. The offense was better. There was better ball movement. Guys were getting better shots because he was delivering the ball earlier and in the right spots. His presence opened up space since the defense couldn't sag more on him.

He wasn't being kept out of the lineup because he wasn't ready. If that was the case, then how do you go from playing only 5 minutes to the kind of minutes he had after one day of practice?

TheSultan
01-21-2014, 08:14 AM
Sultan, I hope you stayed up for this one! It was fun to watch!

I did. Got about four hours of sleep. Gonna be a long day!

TheSultan
01-21-2014, 08:20 AM

I think it's simple. He's a freshman. He looked bad against Butler. Derrick got in foul trouble and he came out and excelled. He may look bad against Nova on Saturday.

If anything we should be thanking Derrick for getting in foul trouble.

But damn I was certainly excited about how he played.

Mucrisco
01-21-2014, 08:29 AM
I think it's simple. He's a freshman. He looked bad against Butler. Derrick got in foul trouble and he came out and excelled. He may look bad against Nova on Saturday.

If anything we should be thanking Derrick for getting in foul trouble.

But damn I was certainly excited about how he played.

So, since Buzz sees Dawson, every day during practice, this is the only time that he feels Dawson is producing, and sticks with him?

TheSultan
01-21-2014, 08:32 AM
So, since Buzz sees Dawson, every day during practice, this is the only time that he feels Dawson is producing, and sticks with him?

I have no idea. I guess we will find out.

Gato78
01-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Dawson had a few defensive lapses that probably gave Buzz some pause last night. However, Buzz kept him in.

warriorfan4life
01-21-2014, 08:43 AM

I think that Dawson still struggles with protecting the ball, and had an awful turnover in the first half that Georgetown took for an easy basket. However, if a team is playing zone, Dawson's ability to hit shots and find the open man is more valuable then Derrick's ability to protect the ball. I think Dawson has earned a chance to play in every game now, and will likely have games where he plays more then Derrick. However, I want a steady vet like Derrick to start and we will need a calm presence against the early fury that Nova will unleash against us on Saturday.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Anyone see Gtown's next few games? Ouch. @ Creigh, vs Nova, vs MSU

DCwarrior
01-21-2014, 12:32 PM
I was at the game last night and I was really disappointed in Georgetown's crowd. They had maybe 8,000 in actual Attendence. With the size of the school, the historical success of the program, their large and local alumni base (including grad and law schools), and the affluence of those alumnus, it's really sad they don't support the team more. Until the last few minutes of the game, the crowd was so quiet it seemed like a neutral site game.

DCwarrior
01-21-2014, 12:36 PM
By the way, I was really impressed with Dawson and Taylor as everyone else was and I really like the lineup with those two plus Jake, Jamil and Davonte.

Is Johnson still hurt? From the dunks he was throwing down in warmups, he didn't seem to be hobbling.

Goose85
01-21-2014, 01:37 PM
I was at the game last night and I was really disappointed in Georgetown's crowd. They had maybe 8,000 in actual Attendence. With the size of the school, the historical success of the program, their large and local alumni base (including grad and law schools), and the affluence of those alumnus, it's really sad they don't support the team more. Until the last few minutes of the game, the crowd was so quiet it seemed like a neutral site game.

In my house we were commenting on the number of good open seats, and I was really surprised.
I thought it might be the late east coast start, but even with a late start you'd think a MU v. Georgetown games is one you wouldn't be a no show for in this conference.

Is that how many weekday games are in DC?

01-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Actually, I did address it. If you can't see that Dawson was outplaying Wilson during regulation, then I can't really help you. The offense was better. There was better ball movement. Guys were getting better shots because he was delivering the ball earlier and in the right spots. His presence opened up space since the defense couldn't sag more on him.

He wasn't being kept out of the lineup because he wasn't ready. If that was the case, then how do you go from playing only 5 minutes to the kind of minutes he had after one day of practice?

No, you didn't. Not at all. Let's go in the way-back machine.

I said that people still wanted Dawson, simply that he wasn't ready. Then later I specifically said "that doesn't mean he was ready a month ago." Then you try to get all uppity with this one practice BS that doesn't come remotely close to anything I said. Tell me, what that I wrote wasn't factual?

That doesn't mean anyone didn't want Dawson, -- Again, who was calling for Dawson to transfer out? Other than Nevada on Scoop, who has a mancrush on Dawson and feels he should be starting whether he was playing for Marquette, Kentucky, or the Los Angeles Clippers. I have said repeatedly that I thought Dawson had upside and looked forward to his development as a player.
Wasn't playing the point when he was in -- That's true, most of the time in previous outings, especially a month ago like I SPECIFICALLY SAID Dawson would come in and Jamil was running the point with Dawson at the off guard.
didn't get the defense -- Dawson's defense was better last night than at any point of the season previously. None of the freshman seem to fully have the defense yet, and most of them couldn't get on the court because of it a month ago. You disagree with this?
he wasn't ready. -- When he came in, it wasn't at the position everyone wanted him to play and he wasn't adequately playing defense. Again, where's the argument here?

At no point did I make any statements about some amazing turnaround in one practice. At no point did I say anything regarding the difference in minutes between Butler and Georgetown. You are trying to put words in my mouth and not addressing my point even remotely. If you can't read my post without misinterpreting it, I can't help you.

pbiflyer
01-21-2014, 02:41 PM
Just noticed on the replay of the game that FS1 gave the player of the game to Smith-Rivera when they were up by 4 with the ball and 27 seconds to go. Oops!

Markedman
01-21-2014, 03:34 PM
Davante's mom cracked me up......lol

ValiantSailor
01-21-2014, 04:05 PM
In my house we were commenting on the number of good open seats, and I was really surprised.
I thought it might be the late east coast start, but even with a late start you'd think a MU v. Georgetown games is one you wouldn't be a no show for in this conference.

Is that how many weekday games are in DC?

The weather forecast already was predicting snow. Everyone in DC was either shopping or watching for the first flake.

VS