PDA

View Full Version : "Untucked"

CaribouJim
01-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Premiered last night at the Sundance Film Festival - part of ESPN's "30 for 30". Don't know if it will be on ESPN or via online only when it will air for the public.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-01-10/entertainment/chi-chicago-closeup-danny-pudi-20140109_1_danny-pudi-inspector-spacetime-abed-nadir

You'll need to sign up for their digital version to get the whole article - it's free - picture of Al and Bo - highlights below:

Pudi has spent most of the past few weeks finishing work on a short film commissioned by ESPN's "30 for 30" series called "Untucked." It premieres Thursday at the Sundance Film Festival and will air sometime this spring.

"It's about the history of Marquette's basketball jerseys," he said. (Danny Pudi graduated from Marquette University in 2001.) "But the story in particular is about one jersey that was designed by a player named Bo Ellis (a Chicago native and member of the 1977 national championship team).

"It's a story about individual expression. And team. And success. It's a little about fashion, as well. All through the lens of this jersey, which was designed to be worn untucked outside the shorts. You're not allowed to do that (now). It was always a unique jersey to me.

"I grew up in Chicago and was a huge basketball fan, and I would always remember seeing pictures of that jersey and seeing pictures of that team. They were known to have a certain flair, but I never knew really the details of the story, so it was something that intrigued me."

This is Pudi's first time directing a film. "For me, it was very hands-on. I don't know much; I didn't go to school for filmmaking. When I say I don't know much — Nina, that applies to everything. I want to say that in the voice of Aaron Neville: (in Neville's falsetto) 'I don't know much …' But I think coming up through sketch comedy and Second City in Chicago there is this sense that you have to create your own material.