PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown-Xavier

warriorfan4life
01-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Really fun game, great comeback by Xavier. I'm sure Georgetown fans are having a meltdown on Hoya Talk, but X can play and I believe should be ranked. The key for the league to get the 4-5 bids we deserve is for us and Hoyas to separate from the bottom half of the league, and beat the other top teams at home.

Edit: The league is still pretty good, even with the injury issues of Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, and Butler. I think the league will put 5 teams in annually in the future, with the chance of putting 6 or 7 in every so often (and 4 will be the absolute minimum). Not quite the old Big East, but still a really good and fun league and a great group of schools to be connected to.

Markedman
01-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Xavier, Nova, and Creighton are going to get in barring a collapse.

Not sure I agree that the Big East "deserves" to get 4 or 5......clearly at this point MU is not anywhere close to the bubble and Georgetown is probably on it or close to it.

Both are going to have to step up and play very well the ret of the way.........especially MU with it's current profile.

warriorfan4life
01-15-2014, 10:12 PM
Xavier, Nova, and Creighton are going to get in barring a collapse.

Not sure I agree that the Big East "deserves" to get 4 or 5......clearly at this point MU is not anywhere close to the bubble and Georgetown is probably on it or close to it.

Both are going to have to step up and play very well the ret of the way.........especially MU with it's current profile.

The 3rd-4th best league (which I think Big East legitimately is, ignoring numbers) does not deserve only three bids. There are many selection tenets that are BS in reality, and the teams earn bid and not conferences is among the biggest fallacy. Georgetown should be good at 11-7, while Marquette may need 12-6 because of a subpar non-conference performance.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-15-2014, 11:52 PM
You can't look at it as number of bids, though. Not many leagues have put 50% of their teams into the Dance, and more than that is exceptionally rare.

warriorfan4life
01-16-2014, 12:41 AM
You can't look at it as number of bids, though. Not many leagues have put 50% of their teams into the Dance, and more than that is exceptionally rare.

Most leagues have expanded to the point where putting 50% of their teams in is a tough task. However, nine and ten team power leagues frequently put half their league in the dance in the pre-expansion era, and this Big East is a retro version of the old power leagues. Even with a seemingly above average number of injuries/issues, this years Big East is still right in the middle of the power leagues. As such, four bids is the bare minimum for the conference. I actually think that this Big East has a chance to be at the very top of the conference rankings in the future if the league keeps recruiting like it did this past year. There is underrated value is not having crap teams at the bottom and a strong majority of good teams on the whole.

01-16-2014, 06:51 AM
All true, but until this league has dominant months of November and December you won't likely see us return to that kind of level. I hope to see us get there, but we aren't there yet and until the results come in early the results won't come late.

Goose85
01-16-2014, 09:25 AM
All true, but until this league has dominant months of November and December you won't likely see us return to that kind of level. I hope to see us get there, but we aren't there yet and until the results come in early the results won't come late.

Hopefully the Big East, along with our tv partners, can come up with some made for tv events non conference that will give the league some exposure. Doesn't have to be along the lines of the ACC - Big 10 challenge, but something that will give the league Nov / Dec exposure.

TheSultan
01-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Most leagues have expanded to the point where putting 50% of their teams in is a tough task. However, nine and ten team power leagues frequently put half their league in the dance in the pre-expansion era, and this Big East is a retro version of the old power leagues. Even with a seemingly above average number of injuries/issues, this years Big East is still right in the middle of the power leagues. As such, four bids is the bare minimum for the conference. I actually think that this Big East has a chance to be at the very top of the conference rankings in the future if the league keeps recruiting like it did this past year. There is underrated value is not having crap teams at the bottom and a strong majority of good teams on the whole.

I think another team is going to sneak in to make it four teams total.

TheSultan
01-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Hopefully the Big East, along with our tv partners, can come up with some made for tv events non conference that will give the league some exposure. Doesn't have to be along the lines of the ACC - Big 10 challenge, but something that will give the league Nov / Dec exposure.

It's going to be difficult. The ACC/B10 challenge is such a unique beast. Outside of that, the best thing that they can do is get the marquee television draws from the league matched up with top level opponents. Maybe not a conference challenge, but perhaps some good match ups between BE and Pac 12 teams would be nice.

Goose85
01-16-2014, 11:46 AM
It's going to be difficult. The ACC/B10 challenge is such a unique beast. Outside of that, the best thing that they can do is get the marquee television draws from the league matched up with top level opponents. Maybe not a conference challenge, but perhaps some good match ups between BE and Pac 12 teams would be nice.

That is what I was thinking Sultan, not a conference challenge, but more like double headers at a neutral sites brought to you by Fox Sports.

Villanova v. Ptt or ??? followed Georgetown v. Syracuse or ??? at the Barclays or Garden.

Xavier v. Illinois or ??? followed by MU v. ND or ??? at the United Center.

warriorfan4life
01-16-2014, 12:33 PM

PAC 12 has done a conference challenge series with Big 12 in the past, so I'd hope that they would be open to one with the Big East. We both have TV partnerships with Fox. Marquette has not had much luck out west, but I'd love to play Zona again, UCLA, Oregon, etc.

01-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Big 12 has one with the SEC now, don't they? Seems like that would open the Pac-12 up for an East vs West challenge. Could be fun, and having both conferences affiliated with Fox Sports would make things easier, I'd imagine.

KalkBird
01-18-2014, 01:27 AM
Doesn't have to be along the lines of the ACC - Big 10 challenge, but something that will give the league Nov / Dec exposure.

why not? the
pac 12 or sec are ready