PDA

View Full Version : X Game

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-09-2014, 04:53 PM
So what do we know about Xavier? Obviously this is an important game for MU as every game is important the rest of the way, but how does MU match up? Admittedly I know very little about them.

IWB
01-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Nice to see Jake come off a screen to hit a three off the bat.

Nukem2
01-09-2014, 08:17 PM
FS2 is a tier on Time Warner. Fox is paing a lot, but giving 2nd class coverage.

MUAlphaBangura
01-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Nice to see Jake come off a screen to hit a three off the bat.

Or not nice to see. Suck it FOX!!!!!!!!

IWB
01-09-2014, 08:25 PM
I have ATT - on FSN2 until Butler-DePaul game is over.

IWB
01-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Jajuan was the first off the bench tonight. Two reasons, 1) Wilson picked up 2 quick fouls 2) Last weekend's message was received by JJJ and he busted his butt in practice.

Now with Derrick having 2 fouls and Jamil with 2, John Dawson comes in very early.

IWB
01-09-2014, 08:30 PM
Bonus already? Rough - MU has 3 guys with two fouls and we are less than 8 minutes in.

dubs98
01-09-2014, 08:38 PM
damn, tough not watching the MU game, but the DePaul/butler game is a hell of a game. buzzer beater to send it to double ot

IWB
01-09-2014, 08:38 PM
Crazy DePaul Butler game - Butler hits a long three with 9 seconds left, then DePaul goes 1-1 from the line, Butler misses then throws it back at hoop and scores, headed to double OT.

IWB
01-09-2014, 08:39 PM
MU with three freshmen in the game at once, so those of you saying give the freshmen a chance, here you go....

dubs98
01-09-2014, 08:43 PM
so jjj did play? he is not listed as playing on either espn or fox sports??

IWB
01-09-2014, 08:44 PM
When did Steve Taylor get the green light to shoot 3s? Awesome!

IWB
01-09-2014, 08:45 PM
He has seen more than a few minutes.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 08:46 PM
MU with three freshmen in the game at once, so those of you saying give the freshmen a chance, here you go....

Im one of those guys and I Loved that lineup with ox and Mayo.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 08:51 PM
Too lazy to look up numbers but feels like we're getting destroyed on glass

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 08:53 PM
What's up with the card in buzz hand? Running more set plays?

dubs98
01-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Too lazy to look up numbers but feels like we're getting destroyed on glass
10-19 Xavier taking it to them

IWB
01-09-2014, 09:00 PM
Multiple freshmen & Steve Taylor together not working out so well.

IWB
01-09-2014, 09:01 PM
DePaul beats Butler in 2 OT.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Really, really like what I see out of Dawson. This will sound irrational but just from what I saw in this half, I'd rather have him than Wilson running the point.

IWB
01-09-2014, 09:10 PM
But what about on the defensive end? That is where we need Derrick.

Markedman
01-09-2014, 09:12 PM
The quickness advantage for X is startling. Absolutely killing MU in transition..even off of made baskets!

Jamil takes himself out of the game again with fouls. Good to see Dawson and Taylor get some run and make a 3 each.

If MU can't do a better job on the boards and keep them in the half court they have no chance of winning.

Christian is really good.......

Nukem2
01-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Let's stop calling Xavier "x"..........

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 09:20 PM
But what about on the defensive end? That is where we need Derrick.

Is Derrick really that good defensively? Is Dawson really they bad defensively? I'm sure Wilson is better but not by a wide enough margin to significantly outweigh the offensive benefits you gain from Dawson. Therefore IMO there isn't a huge difference between the two and because this team has struggled so much to score, I go with the guy who gives us better offense.

As a side note, The entry pass Dawson made to Gardner (when he missed the bunny) was arguably the best post entry pass I've seen all year (not that that's saying much).

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 09:28 PM
I can't stress enough how much I hate the Gardner/outle combo. Gardner always roams on perimeter and outle posts up---kills me. I just don't get why buzz likes this so much.

Markedman
01-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Our D is just about as painful to watch as our Offense tonight......Xavier getting whatever they want....guys jumping to defend jump shots and then flying by on the pump fake...

Could somebody let Jamil know the game started at 8?

Nukem2
01-09-2014, 09:36 PM
I can't stress enough how much I hate the Gardner/outle combo. Gardner always roams on perimeter and outle posts up---kills me. I just don't get why buzz likes this so much.Have to agree. It's just a bad setup. Use it as a situational thing, but otherwise...?

RJax55
01-09-2014, 09:37 PM
I can't stress enough how much I hate the Gardner/outle combo. Gardner always roams on perimeter and outle posts up---kills me. I just don't get why buzz likes this so much.

That line-up stinks. Both DG and Otule are paint players, no room for both to operate at the same time.

MU_Iceman
01-09-2014, 09:41 PM
A lot of you may want to see the Freshman play, but it frustrates me to see them play because they are all "chuckers". Every single one of them. Not only that, but they take a lot of bad shots too and it always seems like its at a time when MU has a bit of an offensive flow going, and one of them gets "curious", which almost always seems to inevitably lead to a run by the other team.

IWB
01-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Call on Gardner was horrible, absolute joke.

Gardner & Otule - I was talking to a stat guy in the media room about Gardner, and how he tries to be Jimmy Butler/Jae Crowder, thinks he has an outside/drive to the hoop game. we both agreed, and in comes Davante - first question was about he & Otule playing together.... "I like it because it allows me to play on the wing...." I though JK was going to spit up his water right there.

Markedman
01-09-2014, 09:48 PM
Dawson making a real statement today...playing in control and shooting good shots in rhythm and knocking them down....

Markedman
01-09-2014, 09:59 PM
killing it from 3 tonight as a team and still losing by 2....lol

DCwarrior
01-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Dawson making a real statement today...playing in control and shooting good shots in rhythm and knocking them down....

Hoping he practices well going forward. Their offense looks better with him playing the point.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 10:00 PM

Damn skippy! He allows us to space the floor so much better. Ox can actually get an entry pas on block bc Dawson's guy doesn't sag off so much when entering the ball.

Markedman
01-09-2014, 10:04 PM
This has turned into a really good game.....

DCwarrior
01-09-2014, 10:06 PM
Can't tell if Jamil is just unlucky picking up fouls or if he is consistently out of position or because he simply reaches too much.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Can't tell if Jamil is just unlucky picking up fouls or if he is consistently out of position or because he simply reaches too much.

Little bit of both tonight. But Bc he's consistently in foul trouble it leads me to believe its his defensive positioning more often than not.

Halo
01-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Why do we seem to get Jim Burr for a 1/3 of our games?

Markedman
01-09-2014, 10:11 PM
Xavier has made some tough tough shots.....need to run the offense through Gardner

DCwarrior
Does Burton have an assist yet this year? Kid is not afraid to shoot when he touches the ball. The occasional pass would help a little.

Nukem2
Little bit of both tonight. But Bc he's consistently in foul trouble it leads me to believe its his defensive positioning more often than not.
#5 could have gone the other way...?

DCwarrior
01-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Gardner/O'Tule combo proves disastrous for us again.

Markedman
01-09-2014, 10:15 PM
27 points on 10 shots for Christian.......last 2 were just daggers

mufansince72
01-09-2014, 10:20 PM
How many points does DWills guy have tonight? I like the fight I have seen tonight. They are playing hard and not giving up. JWill not showing up. Fouls out with like 7 minutes to go. Can't have that.

TedBaxter
01-09-2014, 10:20 PM
This team can't seem to get the big rebound or the big stop late in games.

MU_Iceman
01-09-2014, 10:21 PM
Not one touch for Davante down the stretch. This team just doesn't get it.

TedBaxter
01-09-2014, 10:22 PM
Put Dawson in to get the ball up the court faster.

mufansince72
01-09-2014, 10:25 PM
Watching Marquette's offense is like watching the Packers defense.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 10:27 PM
We need buckets with 30 secs left and buzz puts in Juan when we have the ball on a dead ball? Wtf??!! Brain cramp?

WindyCityGoldenEagle
Not one touch for Davante down the stretch. This team just doesn't get it.
Good point

bleedbluegold03
can someone PLEASE explain how he got to take 3 FTs?

kneelb4zerg
01-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Scored enough. Lost game on glass.

TedBaxter
01-09-2014, 10:34 PM
Dawson's in.:rolleyes:

Nukem2
01-09-2014, 10:35 PM
Put Dawson in to get the ball up the court faster.
Just ply Dawson. Derick is a great young guy...but, he simply lacks PG skills.

warriorfan4life
01-09-2014, 10:36 PM
This team is not far off at all. Those throwing in the towel will regret it later.

mufansince72
01-09-2014, 10:37 PM
Just ply Dawson. Derick is a great young guy...but, he simply lacks PG skills.

I know I am the all time Derrick Wilson hater, but that guy should not see the court for the rest of the year, unless Dawson needs a blow or fouls out. Can't score, can't pass, defense is not what it once was, can't shoot free thows, and doesn't need to be guarded. All the qualities I want in my starting point guard who leads the team in minutes played.

AlexJesswein
01-09-2014, 10:38 PM
This team is not far off at all. Those throwing in the towel will regret it later.

You've been saying that all year. How much more do I have to wait????

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 10:39 PM

While I agree with you, I'm afraid amongst many ffactors, Buzz's stubbornness may have dug us too big of a hole. I hate to say this but I think Buzz has really struggled at getting the right personnel combinations in there this year--- the announcers even alluded to it saying he's subs based on every possession. It shouldnt be like that now that we're in conference. He's also been loyal to DW to a fault.

mufansince72
01-09-2014, 10:42 PM
Warriorfan4life, I just want to say that I have been following you and reading your posts for at least 7 or 8 years, if not longer. I totally respect your opinion. With that said, you are wrong this year. This team will not make the NCAA tournament, and will struggle to be in the middle of the pack. The future looks extremely bright to me! Two years from now I can see MU being a final four team. This year you just have to admit, the pieces don't fit.

MU_Iceman
01-09-2014, 10:45 PM

LOL Love your optimism, but there is no "later". And what's regretting it?? After they "turn it around" and run off three straight to get their record to a sparkling 12-7??

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Im still sticking with 9-9 and NIT, but I will say the flashes shown by Burton and Dawson were very encouraging. Now we just need them out there more.

MUfan12
01-09-2014, 10:46 PM

Couldn't disagree more. They're halfway through the season and still can't finish a game. The only reason they were in it tonight was abnormally good three point shooting.

They were beat in transition off of made baskets. Late rotating and closing out. Beaten like a drum on the glass. Just not good enough.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 10:47 PM
Anyone else worried that Jamil Wilson may have checked out for the year?

Gato78
01-09-2014, 10:51 PM
but the worst officiating trio we could get didn't help. The call at the end when Mayo was tackled out of bounds and Driscoll called the ball off Mayo was emblematic. Free throw and foul disparity was incredible. How can we expect to win with the foul trouble, foul disparity and free throw disparity? I cannot recall ever seeing a more lopsided game in those areas.

kneelb4zerg
01-09-2014, 10:53 PM
Gonna take this game for what it's worth , an encouraging performance on the road. We will win a key road game here and there and have our way with most teams at home.

MU_Iceman
01-09-2014, 10:58 PM
Honest question because I really don't know...is there another team in the country so far this year that has fallen so far from where their preseason expectations were(whether you think they were overrated or not)?? So they have that going for them I guess. A monumental achievement!

Halo
01-09-2014, 11:00 PM
Anyone else worried that Jamil Wilson may have checked out for the year?

Not at all.

2012Warrior
01-09-2014, 11:01 PM
Honest question because I really don't know...is there another team in the country so far this year that has fallen so far from where their preseason expectations were(whether you think they were overrated or not)?? So they have that going for them I guess. A monumental achievement!

Happens every year. Recently, it's happened to UNC and Kentucky. It just sucks we are one of the teams this year, as opposed to the opposite the last 7.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 11:01 PM
but the worst officiating trio we could get didn't help. The call at the end when Mayo was tackled out of bounds and Driscoll called the ball off Mayo was emblematic. Free throw and foul disparity was incredible. How can we expect to win with the foul trouble, foul disparity and free throw disparity? I cannot recall ever seeing a more lopsided game in those areas.

Come on Gato. Yes Driscoll and Burr are notoriously not good regs, but the ft disparity had much more to do with our horrible defense than home cooking officiating. I actually thought the refs did a pretty decent job. Our defense put us in so many bad positions that we had no choice but to foul.

kneelb4zerg
01-09-2014, 11:02 PM

Feel better? Hope so

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 11:04 PM
Not at all.

Glad to hear that and I really hope you're right. I dont know what it is but the last two games whether it was his body language or effort, there is just something that leads me to worry he is checked out. That being said, Jamil is a complete enigma, as even the announcers alluded to, so who knows.

MU_Iceman
01-09-2014, 11:07 PM
Feel better? Hope so

Do you?? You love it when they lose. Or at least it seems to be that way..."I will take this game for what it is, a good effort on the road". Is that what it's come down to?? You're happy when they play hard on the road?? Yipeeeeee! Some fan you are.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-09-2014, 11:07 PM
This just isn't our year, too many issues right now and there hasn't been a ton of improvement either. That's the difference between this team and the last few years. That said I think we all need to focus on the future, Burton will be a stud, Dawson played well tonight, and I think with time Johnson will be good, but he is having a rough start. Add in Fischer and things could be real good in two years...

mufansince72
01-09-2014, 11:08 PM
Glad to hear that and I really hope you're right. I dont know what it is but the last two games whether it was his body language or effort, there is just something that leads me to worry he is checked out. That being said, Jamil is a complete enigma, as even the announcers alluded to, so who knows.

That's what happens when you take a good 3/4 and play him out of position! We are weakening that position, at the expense of trying to find something that works at point.

kneelb4zerg
01-09-2014, 11:09 PM
This just isn't our year, too many issues right now and there hasn't been a ton of improvement either. That's the difference between this team and the last few years. That said I think we all need to focus on the future, Burton will be a stud, Dawson played well tonight, and I think with time Johnson will be good, but he is having a rough start. Add in Fischer and things could be real good in two years...

Didn't see improvement tonight? I did.

mufansince72
01-09-2014, 11:09 PM

This could be an elite 8 or final 4 team in two years. Time to start getting guys experience!

warriorfan4life
01-09-2014, 11:10 PM
Gonna take this game for what it's worth , an encouraging performance on the road. We will win a key road game here and there and have our way with most teams at home.

I think Tower will be right. 9/0/8-1 at home, 4-5/5-4 on the road, and somewhere in the 12-6/13-5 in the Big East overall. Xavier is really damn good with one of the best guards in the country. They were thumping a strong Iowa team before Christon had severe cramps and they ended up kicking the game away late. If they finish that game out, X would probably have one loss right now (they took a couple of tough losses after that, but have been great from the Cincy game on). A really good team hit some tough shots late to put the game away. I doubted some after the Creighton game, but I think that was an aberration.

kneelb4zerg
01-09-2014, 11:10 PM
Do you?? You love it when they lose. Or at least it seems to be that way..."I will take this game for what it is, a good effort on the road". Is that what it's come down to?? You're happy when they play hard on the road?? Yipeeeeee! Some fan you are.

No the opposite actually. But I do respect the process, not just the result.

DO YOU??

Gato78
01-09-2014, 11:11 PM
Totally disagree. We get killed on the boards and we are in this game until the end. We needed some even officiating to make this a win rather than a L. Please remind me of a game MU has played in the last 10 years when we have seen this type of disparity.

Come on Gato. Yes Driscoll and Burr are notoriously not good regs, but the ft disparity had much more to do with our horrible defense than home cooking officiating. I actually thought the refs did a pretty decent job. Our defense put us in so many bad positions that we had no choice but to foul.

MUfan12
01-09-2014, 11:14 PM
Totally disagree. We get killed on the boards and we are in this game until the end. We needed some even officiating to make this a win rather than a L. Please remind me of a game MU has played in the last 10 years when we have seen this type of disparity.

Syracuse. At home. Last February.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Please remind me of a game when our defensive transition, low block doubling, zone defense and rotation was this bad? The refs did not cost us the game. Our defense did.

mufansince72
01-09-2014, 11:16 PM

Officiating was fine.

MU_Iceman
Didn't see improvement tonight? I did.

And you're happy with that aren't you?? I can hear you..."You know their record sucks, they are playing far below their expectations, but you know what?? They are showing improvement!! The kids are getting better, and that's all that matters". Go get them all participation or "effort" ribbons and call it a day. :mad:

kneelb4zerg
Syracuse. At home. Last February.

We deserved the disparity bc we attacked

kneelb4zerg
01-09-2014, 11:18 PM
And you're happy with that aren't you?? I can hear you..."You know their record sucks, they are playing far below their expectations, but you know what?? They are showing improvement!! The kids are getting better, and that's all that matters". Go get them all participation or "effort" ribbons and call it a day. :mad:

Just said I wasn't happy. Keep trying but I am a Marquette fan win or lose. You are a whiny bitch when they lose.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 11:20 PM

By this logic, than every time Marq has had the disparity in their favor it was because the officiating wasnt even. Have to disagree with you here.

Please remind me of a game when our defensive transition, low block doubling, zone defense and rotation was this bad? The refs did not cost us the game. Our defense did.

MU_Iceman
01-09-2014, 11:25 PM
Just said I wasn't happy. Keep trying but I am a Marquette fan win or lose. You are a whiny bitch when they lose.

LOLOL The hell you are! Keep telling yourself that you F'n tool. You hang your hat on improvement in a road loss. I don't see improvement if it's not in the "W" column. Different strokes, for different types of fans. If you sleep well at night and you're happy, good for you.

kneelb4zerg
01-09-2014, 11:28 PM
LOLOL The hell you are! Keep telling yourself that you F'n tool. You hang your hat on improvement in a road loss. I don't see improvement if it's not in the "W" column. Different strokes, for different types of fans. If you sleep well at night and you're happy, good for you.

Again never said I was happy. Learn to read you ******* loser.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 11:28 PM

Ice - come on now. That's a pretty irrational comment. I;m not talking about tonights game or any game in particular, but you have zero ability to see improvement unless it's a win?

MUfan12
01-09-2014, 11:34 PM
We deserved the disparity bc we attacked

Agreed, and so did Xavier tonight.

Bitching about the refs tonight is misguided. They lost this game on the glass.

mufansince72
01-09-2014, 11:37 PM
Starting guards outscored 41-19. Jake had 17! What value did Dwill bring again?

MU_Iceman
01-09-2014, 11:40 PM
Ice - come on now. That's a pretty irrational comment. I;m not talking about tonights game or any game in particular, but you have zero ability to see improvement unless it's a win?

Sure, I can see improvement...but i have problems with people(see kneel & others), that are just satisfied with seeing improvement. What good is improvement if it doesn't result in a "W"?? Remember how many here were saying that the "improvement" they made in the Arizona state loss was going to be a springboard?? LOL A springboard to what?? a #1 seed in the NIT or CBE?? Great. Where do I get tickets??

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 11:43 PM
Sure, I can see improvement...but i have problems with people(see kneel & others), that are just satisfied with seeing improvement. What good is improvement if it doesn't result in a "W"?? Remember how many here were saying that the "improvement" they made in the Arizona state loss was going to be a springboard?? LOL A springboard to what?? a #1 seed in the NIT or CBE?? Great. Where do I get tickets??

Ok, but that's not what you said in your comment. You said, you only see improvement when there is a check in the W column. I'm glad to see you have retracted that statement as it was a bit ridiculous.

kneelb4zerg
01-09-2014, 11:44 PM

Season ain't over dick nose.

And nobody is satisfied with just improvement. You are the king of the straw man all hail. Did you even get a GED? Bc you are bar none the stupidest mf-er I've encountered in a while.

warriorfan4life
01-09-2014, 11:45 PM
Agreed, and so did Xavier tonight.

Bitching about the refs tonight is misguided. They lost this game on the glass.

I will split the difference here. The refs sucked because this crew got themselves way too involved as usual, but I do not believe that their calls favored either team (and the flagrant at the end was awful. Basketball is a contact sport, and Juan was just unlucky to be in the wrong place there).

MU_Iceman
01-09-2014, 11:50 PM
Season ain't over dick nose.

And nobody is satisfied with just improvement. You are the king of the straw man all hail. Did you even get a GED? Bc you are bar none the stupidest mf-er I've encountered in a while.

Your mirror at home must be broken..because if it weren't and you ever looked in it, THEN you'd see the stupidest mfer. But thanks for trying to insult me. Season IS over. They ain't going to the tourney. PERIOD. And even if they by some miracle win the BE tourney and get in, it would be as what?? A 12 seed in the play in game?? Impressive for a team that started the year with many thinking they'd be a 2 or 3 seed. But i know, you'd be okay with that. Small minds, have small goals.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-10-2014, 12:00 AM
Gents, you two need to hug it out. :) Enough is a enough. We get where you both stand (have for some time, yet the same petty name calling always ensues). To play referee, in my observations of the boards I think both of you bring it on by your often extreme positions - Kneel always defending everything MU, never allowing anyone to critique the program and MuIce often spewing irrational hyperbole. You two are like a husband and wife of 60 years :)

mufansince72
01-10-2014, 12:07 AM
Hey, I see progress, Kneel hasn't called me a dumbshit yet tonight :)

ge1974
01-10-2014, 07:48 AM
Lots of great name calling in this thread. Makes me proud to be an MU alum and fan.

zklup54
01-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Honestly one of the biggest reasons we lost this game last night, is your "star" player has 2 points and 5 fouls. That is terrible for someone as talented as Jamil. If this team has any chance of turning it around it starts and ends with him. And so far he hasn't shown he can take control and be that guy. I don't know how much longer we can wait for him to get it and maybe he won't, but that killed us yesterday having him only score two points and foul out.

ge1974
01-10-2014, 08:07 AM
He had 5 points but your point is well-taken. Talented player but his basketball IQ is low. Also, he rarely has "the Eye of the Tiger".

Anyone recall the 4 on 1 MU had in the second half and Jamil threw the ball outside to Jake for a 3 point shot? You have take THAT 95% opportunity to the hoop in a close game.

MUfan12
01-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Hey, I see progress, Kneel hasn't called me a dumbshit yet tonight :)

Just mention that Buzz isn't perfect a few times, it'll happen.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-10-2014, 08:19 AM

Seriously, how did you survive 2009-10? I am amazed you didn't hang yourself that year. Improvement in December and January leads to wins in February and success in March. Or just give up on the team and check back in next year, if you can handle another year of 25+ mpg of Derrick Wilson.

01-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Starting guards outscored 41-19. Jake had 17! What value did Dwill bring again?

5 assists. Zero turnovers. If you haven't figured out Derrick's marching orders yet, honestly, I don't know what to tell you. It's really not hard to figure out what his role is out there.

TheSultan
01-10-2014, 08:29 AM
5 assists. Zero turnovers. If you haven't figured out Derrick's marching orders yet, honestly, I don't know what to tell you. It's really not hard to figure out what his role is out there.

I would like Dawson to get back up minutes at point. 10-15 minutes. I like what I saw. Get Jamil back to where he belongs.

kneelb4zerg
01-10-2014, 08:33 AM
I'll apologize for the vulgarity, in this and other threads, but I made a relatively minor point about taking a positive out of this game, only to have that viewpoint attacked as not being good enough and settling for moral victories. Some days I'm better at ignoring the stupidity. Yesterday was not one of those days.

IWB
01-10-2014, 08:38 AM
In response to the vulgarity, only Johnny Rev or MinnesotaJeb can grant forgiveness there.

MUBasketball
01-10-2014, 08:44 AM
I'll apologize for the vulgarity, in this and other threads, but I made a relatively minor point about taking a positive out of this game, only to have that viewpoint attacked as not being good enough and settling for moral victories. Some days I'm better at ignoring the stupidity. Yesterday was not one of those days.

I'm with you kneel. Support the guys through the highs and the lows. This year is clearly a low so far, at least compared to all the recent success. We're all frustrated but man, keep it all in perspective people. This team just isn't very good, let's accept it. It happens now and then.

Has anyone noticed that the defending national champions have an NIT resume right now?

zklup54
01-10-2014, 08:58 AM
I still think this team has got the talent, we just have yet to see them consistently play well. One game they can't shoot, but their defense is great, last night they shot great, but had poor defense. If they could just put it all together. I don't know if it is just me, but in every loss so far, besides maybe Creighton, we have come back to be only be down 1 or 2 or even tied, but we can never get that one basket to put us up. We usually always fall back to being down 4 or 5. It's frustrating because we are right there, but we don't have a player to close it out for us like we have had in the past.

MU_Iceman
01-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Seriously, how did you survive 2009-10? I am amazed you didn't hang yourself that year. Improvement in December and January leads to wins in February and success in March. Or just give up on the team and check back in next year, if you can handle another year of 25+ mpg of Derrick Wilson.

I was actually higher on that team than most going into that year. I absolutely thought they were an NCAA team. There were some bumpy times no doubt, but in the end they ended up exactly where I thought they would be...in the dance. The difference is though...NO ONE( a few) thought that team would make the NCAAs...so by all accounts, they EXCEEDED expectations...this one on the other hand...EVERYONE expected them to be an NCAA tourney team, and most were figuring on a 2-3 seed type year. They might not even make the NIT. if that isn't playing so far below expectations, I don't know what is?? That's the big difference between these two teams.

MU_Iceman
01-10-2014, 09:31 AM
I still think this team has got the talent, we just have yet to see them consistently play well. One game they can't shoot, but their defense is great, last night they shot great, but had poor defense. If they could just put it all together. I don't know if it is just me, but in every loss so far, besides maybe Creighton, we have come back to be only be down 1 or 2 or even tied, but we can never get that one basket to put us up. We usually always fall back to being down 4 or 5. It's frustrating because we are right there, but we don't have a player to close it out for us like we have had in the past.

You are absolutely right on this...the problem has been, that I have noticed in all their close losses, is they go away from Davante for whatever reason down the stretch. Last night, they got it close, and suddenly for whatever reason, they stopped going inside to Davante. Instead it seemed everyone wanted to go for the "kill shot" so to speak, and jacked up stuipd stuff, Xavier then pulled away. You MUST get davante touches down the stretch when it's close like that. Not many can stop him. Last night was another example of that.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Ice - you are right on with the going away from Davante down the stretch and that blame has to go on the coach and/or the pg who as everyone always says is supposed to be an extension of the coach on the floor. There is no excuse for Ox to not be given touches in late game situations.

TheSultan
01-10-2014, 10:22 AM
How "late" do you define "late game?"

Here are MU's possessions starting at the 7:58 mark:

7:58 Davante made layup
7:11 Mayo made shot
6:37 Davante made layup
5:47 Jamil made three
5:08 Jamil missed three
4:48 Deonte made shot
3:50 Deonte missed shot
3:00 Davante missed shot
2:28 Jake made three
1:36 Deonte made layup

By the time we got the ball back it was under 1:00, down five and threes started to go up. (The first was was a straight on 3 by Jake that wasn't a bad shot by any means)

So we had 10 offensive possessions. Scored on 7 of them. (Davante was 2/3, Deonte was 2/3, Jamil was 1/2, Jake was 1/1, Todd was 1/1) I think the problem is despite the fact that we scored on 7/10 possessions between the 8:00 and 1:00 marks, Xavier pretty much matched going 8/11. (They hit some threes...made some free throws.)

Defense was terrible.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-10-2014, 10:27 AM
Good stuff Sultan. I guess my feeling is that this team flows better offensively when they play from inside to out and run things through Ox. It just felt like he didn't get enough touches (not necessarily shots) down the stretch. All in all though there is no denying that our defense and rebounding lost us the game---that's undeniable.

Markedman
01-10-2014, 03:44 PM
I thought the missed jump shot from about 18-20 feet by DG(fairly early in the shot clock IIRC) at the 3 minute mark was a killer. It was fitting that of all people Todd Mayo seemed to take Gardner to task for not working for a better shot.

I thought Todd played very good team ball last night......

01-10-2014, 05:47 PM
I was actually higher on that team than most going into that year. I absolutely thought they were an NCAA team. There were some bumpy times no doubt, but in the end they ended up exactly where I thought they would be...in the dance. The difference is though...NO ONE( a few) thought that team would make the NCAAs...so by all accounts, they EXCEEDED expectations...this one on the other hand...EVERYONE expected them to be an NCAA tourney team, and most were figuring on a 2-3 seed type year. They might not even make the NIT. if that isn't playing so far below expectations, I don't know what is?? That's the big difference between these two teams.

You're the first person I know to claim they thought the 09-10 team was NCAA level before the year started. Lazar was the only proven commodity. Acker and Cooby both looked like disappointments, DJO and Buycks were complete unknowns, and neither Fulce nor Butler had shown much to suggest they'd be more than bit players.

Anyway...the truth is this team simply hasn't met potential. Jamil hasn't grown into a stud like we've seen happen in the past with Blue, Crowder, DJO, and Butler. Gardner has had moments, but for the most part the new rules have hurt more than helped him. Mayo hasn't taken the step that we saw Blue take as a junior. And both McKay and Blue left before the season started. The ultimate irony is that the two guys most people expected relatively little out of statistically, Derrick and Jake, are the two that are taking the brunt of the criticism despite the simple truth that the guys most expected to deliver on the statistical end aren't doing so and yet aren't getting the same criticism.

Is this team underachieving? Yes, because the expectation was that guys like Jamil, Gardner, and Mayo would take the same kind of steps forward we've seen from guys like Jimmy, Jae, and Blue in recent years. Instead, they have simply stagnated or in many regards even regressed. But what the hell...let's point the finger at Derrick and Jake.