PDA

View Full Version : New Hunt article on Buzz

jpvegas52
01-08-2014, 09:27 AM
Article on Buzz and expectations at Marquette, talking about some fan reaction. Seems Buzz is getting a lot of suggestions on how to better coach the team.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/buzz-williams-will-get-golden-eagles-to-fly-again-b99179349z1-239193301.html

Phantom Warrior
01-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Luke Fischer is "a high school all-American"? That's just plain silly. He was a consensus Top 100 recruit. Was he selected for Micky D? No. Was he Top 20 or Top 25 in most rankings? No. Johnson is the highest-ranked recruit we've had in over 30 years. Was he a "high school all-American"? No.

Our last "high school all-Americans" were Doc and Kerry Trotter.

Tatum74
01-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Luke Fischer was named to the 2013 Parade All-American team....

2013UnleashTheBeast
01-08-2014, 10:26 AM
Who was our last Parade All-American? I wanna say it was McNeal?

Markedman
01-08-2014, 10:30 AM
I believe Diener was a Parade AA?

Markedman
01-08-2014, 10:31 AM
I wish people would just leave Buzz alone with the texting crap……why he gives his number to everybody is beyond me.

TulsaWarrior
01-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Buzz remembers when few people returned his calls or responded to his letters.

Goose85
01-08-2014, 12:48 PM
When Buzz was on his way up I think he would give his number to anyone who wanted it / would take it. Very generous with giving access to high school coaches too. As texting and such have explolded it is probably close to impossible to keep up. Remember, Buzz is the type of guy that still writes and mails hand written notes to people.

IWB
01-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Like what UJ pointed out on the other board, the part about Buzz all came from a response to someone else' question in the media room after the DePaul game.

Buzz was comparing himself to Davante in that, in Davante's first three years he could score all the time because no one knew who he was or cared, he was just 'the heavy kid'. He said the same was true about MU. Nobody picked us to win anything. Now, Davante is a first team all Big East pick and MU is picked to win the league, so now Davante and MU are not unnoticed, they have people gunning for them. Said it is a lot harder for MU to win and for Davante to score with a huge target on our backs.

He went on to say that he gets more texts and phone calls right now, more per week than the first few years combined. He blames himself, saying that in the first few years, nobody cared who he was, nobody called or e-mailed or texted him, so he gave his number out a lot. "If there is ever anything I can do to help.....If I can be of any help". Now they are all calling, e-mailing and texting, to the point where it is beyond overwhelming. He said the most frustrating part is that they are all trying to help him fix his problems, telling him how he should be coaching the team. "So what, the last three years I was a great coach and now I need help because I somehow forgot how to coach?"

Frustrating.

dw3dw3dw3
01-08-2014, 01:27 PM
I love who Buzz is, but the solution to his text/phone problems is really not that hard. Nobody expects him to reply to anything, yet he does every single time (that I've messaged him). I like to thank him from time to time, but I feel guilty doing it, because I know he'll take the time to respond. Does he not have a private phone and a public phone?

IWB
01-08-2014, 01:46 PM
He has both private & public phone and e-mail, but those have gotten out there.

TheSultan
01-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Like what UJ pointed out on the other board, the part about Buzz all came from a response to someone else' question in the media room after the DePaul game.

Buzz was comparing himself to Davante in that, in Davante's first three years he could score all the time because no one knew who he was or cared, he was just 'the heavy kid'. He said the same was true about MU. Nobody picked us to win anything. Now, Davante is a first team all Big East pick and MU is picked to win the league, so now Davante and MU are not unnoticed, they have people gunning for them. Said it is a lot harder for MU to win and for Davante to score with a huge target on our backs.

He went on to say that he gets more texts and phone calls right now, more per week than the first few years combined. He blames himself, saying that in the first few years, nobody cared who he was, nobody called or e-mailed or texted him, so he gave his number out a lot. "If there is ever anything I can do to help.....If I can be of any help". Now they are all calling, e-mailing and texting, to the point where it is beyond overwhelming. He said the most frustrating part is that they are all trying to help him fix his problems, telling him how he should be coaching the team. "So what, the last three years I was a great coach and now I need help because I somehow forgot how to coach?"

Frustrating.

It's frustrating, but isn't that pretty much the nature of fandom everywhere?

kneelb4zerg
01-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Whatever Buzz needs to do or say to build that chip on his shoulder, I'm all for it.

MU_Iceman
01-08-2014, 09:26 PM
I don't know...I mean, the "underdog, chip on the shoulder" thing seems to have worked, but I'm not sure if you always want to be viewed that way, do you?? Wouldn't you rather be the team everyone wants to knock off?? The team that nationwide fans hate you because you are so good every year?? I don't want MU to always be viewed as "an underdog". That means you don't think you can be one of the top dogs in college BB. You will NEVER get to elite status if you play the "underdog" role every year, and thrive on it. The only way to become elite is to get to the point where you get a LITTLE arrogant, knowing that you are one of those teams viewed nationally that are expected to win almost every time you step on the court, and you are ranked in the top 10-20 almost regularly. To hear him say it's a lot harder for MU to win with a target on their backs?? I get where he's coming from, but at some point you have to embrace the "target on our backs" role, and it should no longer become "harder" to win. It's almost like saying, or admitting, you will never get to, or embrace being the best of the best, and you'd rather be one of those "feel good" stories. It's time to stop being "David" and thus thinking like you are "David", and start becoming, and thinking like "Goliath".

kneelb4zerg
01-08-2014, 09:37 PM
I don't know...I mean, the "underdog, chip on the shoulder" thing seems to have worked, but I'm not sure if you always want to be viewed that way, do you?? Wouldn't you rather be the team everyone wants to knock off?? The team that nationwide fans hate you because you are so good every year?? I don't want MU to always be viewed as "an underdog". That means you don't think you can be one of the top dogs in college BB. You will NEVER get to elite status if you play the "underdog" role every year, and thrive on it. The only way to become elite is to get to the point where you get a LITTLE arrogant, knowing that you are one of those teams viewed nationally that are expected to win almost every time you step on the court, and you are ranked in the top 10-20 almost regularly. To hear him say it's a lot harder for MU to win with a target on their backs?? I get where he's coming from, but at some point you have to embrace the "target on our backs" role, and it should no longer become "harder" to win. It's almost like saying, or admitting, you will never get to, or embrace being the best of the best, and you'd rather be one of those "feel good" stories. It's time to stop being "David" and thus thinking like you are "David", and start becoming, and thinking like "Goliath".

Someone feeling feisty after another Badger beat down? Afraid your Badger co workers are going to talk more trash tomorrow?

Grow a pair!

Either be a fan or keep being a whiny bitch. Bc you are a shitty fan with your present attitude.

2012Warrior
01-08-2014, 10:00 PM
I see what you are saying Iceman, but I think a bunch of coaches play the underdog card, even the "top dogs." I think Calipari has played that card numerous times, even after winning a National Championship.

MU_Iceman
01-09-2014, 03:53 AM
Someone feeling feisty after another Badger beat down? Afraid your Badger co workers are going to talk more trash tomorrow?

Grow a pair!

Either be a fan or keep being a whiny bitch. Bc you are a shitty fan with your present attitude.

You absolutely would know about being a bitch and being a "shitty" fan. You wear that crown. Congrats! You must be so proud!

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-09-2014, 06:22 AM
Oh god, the "I know you are but what am I" card getting played? What is this, Scoop? :rolleyes:

TheSultan
01-09-2014, 07:53 AM

Buzz's job isn't to please you with his message, but to motivate the team. Underdog tactics may work with one set of players...but may not work with another.

ziggysfryboy
01-09-2014, 08:10 AM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ziggysfryboy
01-09-2014, 08:11 AM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Ice, I get what you're saying but I don't know of any Goliath college coaches who actually come out and say they are Goliath. Hell, John Calipari every year says his team sucks and will be fortunate to make the NCAA tourney. The master of this was Lou Holtz who would make his powerhouse ND teams feel like they were going to lose to teams like Navy each week through direct messages to the players and to the media. I think the ideal scenario is to build a Goliath program which Buzz is clearly attempting to do, but continue to motivate your kids by telling them they are David so as to avoid contentment and a lack of hunger (which Buzz is clearly attempting to do).

01-09-2014, 08:37 AM
Well...Calipari did talk about 40-0 this year. Didn't work out so well for him.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 09:24 AM
oh did he? My bad then---I remembered him talking about how they'd be lucky to stay on the court with MSU for that opening game. Maybe Cal was a bad example, but my point still stands.

TheSultan
01-09-2014, 09:27 AM
oh did he? My bad then---I remembered him talking about how they'd be lucky to stay on the court with MSU for that opening game. Maybe Cal was a bad example, but my point still stands.

Well he did both.

He talked about the goal of 40-0, not necessarily with this team but as a goal he has as a coach, back in May. He then talked about the MSU game similar how you remember it. My guess is that after holding practice with these guys for a few weeks, he realized that they had a lot of work to do.

kneelb4zerg
01-09-2014, 09:31 AM
I sort of went of the rails last night, but seriously, what other choice does Buzz have but to play the underdog card at this point in the season?

MU_Iceman
01-09-2014, 10:27 AM
Buzz's job isn't to please you with his message, but to motivate the team. Underdog tactics may work with one set of players...but may not work with another.

Again, I get why he does it, but personally as a player if i hear "You're the underdog, no one thinks you are any good etc etc" repeatedly, It would eventually wear on me and I'd think "wow, Coach doesn't even think we are any good". For me anyway, if I were a player, I'd want to hear "you know you're good, you're better than people think, go out and show them". That's saying the same thing, just saying it in a different way. Besides, players shouldn't need little messages like that to motivate themselves. Motivation should come from within. That being said, I realize we are dealing with 18-22 year olds here and today's generation of kids seem a lot tougher to motivate than they used to be.

MU_Iceman
01-09-2014, 10:36 AM
I sort of went of the rails last night, but seriously, what other choice does Buzz have but to play the underdog card at this point in the season?

I realize Buzz and I are completely different, but me personally with this group..I'd tell them repeatedly, if you don't start playing to your potential, changes are going to be made, and you won't like them. They are only underdogs, because for whatever reason, they have made themselves into that with their performances thus far. Not because this group has peaked and this is the best they are. Buzz knows his guys and what will or won't work with them(hopefully), but with this particular group because they have been playing well below what they are capable, I'd tell them, "you're underdogs because you've sucked and made yourself underdogs..now, you can either start playing like your capable, and turn your season around, or you can keep going the way you have...the choice is up to you, it's your careers and your season, how do you want to be remembered"?? Then I'd ask the Seniors how they want to go out.

01-09-2014, 12:01 PM
I realize Buzz and I are completely different, but me personally with this group..I'd tell them repeatedly, if you don't start playing to your potential, changes are going to be made, and you won't like them. They are only underdogs, because for whatever reason, they have made themselves into that with their performances thus far. Not because this group has peaked and this is the best they are. Buzz knows his guys and what will or won't work with them(hopefully), but with this particular group because they have been playing well below what they are capable, I'd tell them, "you're underdogs because you've sucked and made yourself underdogs..now, you can either start playing like your capable, and turn your season around, or you can keep going the way you have...the choice is up to you, it's your careers and your season, how do you want to be remembered"?? Then I'd ask the Seniors how they want to go out.

And therein lies the difference. Buzz gets paid millions of dollars to know what this group needs to hear and tell them that. He's proven over the past few years that he's pretty darn good at it.

I get that everyone thinks they're the smartest guy in the room, but sometimes it's best to simply sit back and accept that some people have a better grasp on things than others. When it comes to managing basketball teams, Buzz seems to have a great grasp on how to both motivate and improve his team's caliber of play over the course of a season. And all the screaming from the keyboard won't change that Buzz is going to do things his way.

I don't know...I just don't get the point of posts like this. If you had the knowledge and drive to know how to properly motivate a team, wouldn't you be coaching instead of posting? Let the coach coach. That's what he's paid for.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 12:20 PM
And therein lies the difference. Buzz gets paid millions of dollars to know what this group needs to hear and tell them that. He's proven over the past few years that he's pretty darn good at it.

I get that everyone thinks they're the smartest guy in the room, but sometimes it's best to simply sit back and accept that some people have a better grasp on things than others. When it comes to managing basketball teams, Buzz seems to have a great grasp on how to both motivate and improve his team's caliber of play over the course of a season. And all the screaming from the keyboard won't change that Buzz is going to do things his way.

I don't know...I just don't get the point of posts like this. If you had the knowledge and drive to know how to properly motivate a team, wouldn't you be coaching instead of posting? Let the coach coach. That's what he's paid for.

Brew - obviously Buzz is better at pushing buttons and coaching than any of us are, I don't think anyone (except Murph) would argue that. That being said, and I'm not siding with Ice's opinion, but isn't one of the fun aspects of message boards to bring up points about the team, coach, program, recruiting that you believe could improve things? Just because someone is obviously better at it, doesn't mean we can't have fun critiquing, debating it or commenting on it, right?

01-09-2014, 12:32 PM
I understand criticizing the coach, criticizing the gameplan, criticizing recruiting strategies, all that kind of stuff. But the whole "Buzz should tell them X"...I mean, what do any of us know? Buzz probably IS telling them this kind of stuff. There's a ton of room for discussion, but between the "I know you are but what am I?" and the "Buzz should do things this way" it all just kind of comes off like the petulant child method of forum response writing.

There's a big difference between bringing up points about the team and things that could be done to improve things and trying to put words in the mouth of the coach when everything that's going on is behind closed doors and none of us know if those words weren't said.

I don't know...maybe this is my own form of whining, but to me, there are ways to criticize that work and ways that don't. Posts like that simply don't work for me.

It's like Ners on Scoop...there's this big push for Dawson to get 40 minutes based on what he might do. No one actually knows what he can do except Buzz, but he might be better than Derrick, so let's write 400 posts about how Magic Dawson should be starting and we'd be so much better. Except no one has actually seen Dawson against high major competition. Surmising about something you have absolutely zero idea about (such as what Dawson would do against HM competition or what Buzz should be saying in private to his players) just doesn't make sense to me. Now saying you'd like to see Dawson get a chance, or saying Buzz needs to figure out what buttons to push, I guess that would make more sense to me, but acting as though you know what's happening in closed-door practices and meetings and suggesting how it should be done better when the simple truth is you have no idea...

I don't know...just my rant for today, I guess. On to bigger and better things today, like me and Mrs. brew going to buy a new house. Just went and picked up some nice engraved pens for the signing. :cool:

TheSultan
01-09-2014, 12:36 PM
It's like Ners on Scoop...there's this big push for Dawson to get 40 minutes based on what he might do. No one actually knows what he can do except Buzz, but he might be better than Derrick, so let's write 400 posts about how Magic Dawson should be starting and we'd be so much better.

Ha. :rolleyes:

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Good rant :) and I actually agree with you now that you put it that way (I think I initally took your comments to mean we shouldnt be critiquing, etc). Saying Buzz should be saying this or that when we have no idea if he is saying this or that behind closed doors is a poor way of critquing things, agreed.