PDA

View Full Version : Incredible

Phantom Warrior
01-01-2014, 01:21 AM
Our starting backcourt played 59 minutes, made 3 of 11 shots, scored a total of 10 points, and had a grand total of 2 assists.

I have been watching MU basketball for 55 years, and this is, by far, the least productive back court I have ever seen at MU - by far.

I doubt Derrick would start at point on any other Big East team, and I doubt Jake would start at 2 guard for any other BE team either.

This team was not even competitive against Creighton.

People can defend Derrick, Jake, and Buzz all they want. But the reality is he recruited every single player on the roster.

mufansince72
01-01-2014, 02:10 AM
People thought I was nuts after the Southern game. Oh well!

MU/Panther
01-01-2014, 07:41 AM
The backcourt was pretty bad in the loss to Western Michigan in the NIT.

TheSultan
01-01-2014, 08:20 AM
What is alarming too is that the reserves aren't much better. Todd and JJJ played 34 minutes...went 2-11...and scored six points.

Goose85
01-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Jake seems to be the only 3 point option we have. Problem is when he is out there with Derrick they can really overplay Jake. Hard seeing them on the court at the same time offensively.

Markedman
01-01-2014, 12:06 PM
This is really the point.....when everybody plays like this it doesn't matter who plays.

Just one of those years where everything went wrong and we are paying the price.

Tough to watch but we had a good run.........rebuilding starts next year...

What is alarming too is that the reserves aren't much better. Todd and JJJ played 34 minutes...went 2-11...and scored six points.

bleedbluegold03
01-01-2014, 12:18 PM
with JJJ at least the idea of potential to get better exists. Derrick and Jake are Juniors and Senior, at this point, both are sunk costs.

TheSultan
01-01-2014, 01:37 PM
with JJJ at least the idea of potential to get better exists. Derrick and Jake are Juniors and Senior, at this point, both are sunk costs.

The idea that increasing JJJ's playing time to 25 mpg from 15 mpg is an "investment" of some sort that is going to pay off down the line is hardly a certainty.

mufansince72
01-01-2014, 01:43 PM
The idea that increasing JJJ's playing time to 25 mpg from 15 mpg is an "investment" of some sort that is going to pay off down the line is hardly a certainty.

Not a certainty, but we have seen the results in the playing time investment in the other guards.

IWB
01-02-2014, 07:24 AM
But the reality is he recruited every single player on the roster.

Yes, and that also includes Vander Blue. Add Vander to this team and the entire dynamic changes. Not saying this team would be 13-0 with Vander, but this was not the roster Buzz expected to have this year, it is the roster he ended up with.

MayorBeluga
01-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Yes, and that also includes Vander Blue. Add Vander to this team and the entire dynamic changes. Not saying this team would be 13-0 with Vander, but this was not the roster Buzz expected to have this year, it is the roster he ended up with.

Agree with IWB but take it a step further. If Duane Wilson had not been hurt, but rather had the full allotment of practice time, he would be seeing a fair amount of time on the court. It's a radically different backcourt then. Heck, even with Duane redshirting, having Vander fill in at the point would be helpful since he could not only create his own shot, he could feed the post much better than the current backcourt can. Alas.

bleedbluegold03
01-02-2014, 09:01 AM

There is also something to be said with roster planning. I think Buzz is learning the hard lesson that with top 30 level talent, you cannot bank on them staying 4 years. At best, I'd bank on 2 and the rest is gravy