PDA

View Full Version : Article on Duane Redshirting

Phantom Warrior
12-28-2013, 10:30 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/marquette-guard-duane-wilson-decision-redshirt-smart-choice-182138892--ncaab.html

Apologies if this has already been posted.

MUMac
12-29-2013, 09:41 AM
That article, as I have read elsewhere (including from the JS), mentions that Wilson is still only practicing 20 minutes and not fully released. This decision was a no brainer, to me. I had wished, at the time, that Junior had taken a redshirt. There were similar preseason reports about his not being a bit behind. It was said that Junior did not like school and did not want to stay 5 years. I wonder if his viewpoint changed over time and Buzz had learned from that.

One error in the article. It says Junior had an ACL injury, but it was an Achilles.

TheSultan
12-29-2013, 10:21 AM
BTW, as I understand it, he's not taking a "medical redshirt." He's taking a redshirt.

If he loses another season due to injury, he could apply for a sixth, but my understanding of the rules is that if he redshirts w/o a medical condition sometime in the future, that a sixth year would not be likely.

MUMac
12-29-2013, 10:31 AM
BTW, as I understand it, he's not taking a "medical redshirt." He's taking a redshirt.

If he loses another season due to injury, he could apply for a sixth, but my understanding of the rules is that if he redshirts w/o a medical condition sometime in the future, that a sixth year would not be likely.

That is correct.

kneelb4zerg
12-29-2013, 10:49 AM
That article, as I have read elsewhere (including from the JS), mentions that Wilson is still only practicing 20 minutes and not fully released. This decision was a no brainer, to me. I had wished, at the time, that Junior had taken a redshirt. There were similar preseason reports about his not being a bit behind. It was said that Junior did not like school and did not want to stay 5 years. I wonder if his viewpoint changed over time and Buzz had learned from that.

One error in the article. It says Junior had an ACL injury, but it was an Achilles.

I think that not liking school is code for I want to start making money professionally ASAP because my family needs the support.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-30-2013, 10:53 AM
I think that not liking school is code for I want to start making money professionally ASAP because my family needs the support.

Not sure that's always the reason, but I'm guessing the first part is spot on most of the time. And that could very well have been Junior's reasoning.

Goose85
12-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Junior was at the game on Saturday. Is he playing anywhere this year?

mutpm
12-30-2013, 11:48 AM
Junior is doing well. He is averaging almost 22 a game.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Junior_Cadougan/105004

IWB
01-02-2014, 07:45 PM
And 7+ assists.