PDA

View Full Version : Big East and the RPI

Markedman
12-28-2013, 09:52 PM
So clearly the Big East this year will not provide us opportunities for a bunch of "marquee" wins.

What it will do however is give us chances at quite a few good ones if we start playing better and can take care of business.

The new confernce does not have the top end strength but overall it isn't bad.....with the non conference season now over the Big East is the 3rd best conference top to bottom accoording to RPI. Now I know RPI isn't Pomeroy or Sagarin...but it is still heavily used by the SC.

New season starts tuesday......http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2014/conferencerpi

warriorfan4life
12-28-2013, 10:40 PM
I hate the RPI, but it has been the primary tool utilized by the selection committee the last few years. The Big East is in a virtual dead lock for third in the Pomeroys with the ACC as well (so if we can argue in an actual objective tool, the Big East is strong there as well).

WindyCityGoldenEagle
12-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Interesting. Historically, how many teams typically come from the top 3-6 conferences? 3-5 ish?

Also, how much does the selection committee look at "top 100 wins?" I always recall top 50 record being a large metric at least from the talking heads on ESPN. Since we likely will be without many of these, I'm curious as to the real value of top 100 wins as viewed by the selection commitee.

kneelb4zerg
12-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Depends on the number of teams in the conference. Pretty sure the Big East is looking at 4-5 bids.

Markedman
12-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Depends on overall profile and what other schools do. Top 100 used to be what we looked at when we were in CUSA......they do matter just not as much as top 25 or top 50.

Who did you beat and who did you lose to? Did you challenge yourself in the non conference? Road and neutral record.....computer numbers.....all of those are part of the puzzle for bubble teams and seeding.